Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

It's 39 today, I bought a new weather station which is pretty cool.

The heat coming up off the footpath/road is pretty rough when running. I have also misplaced my wireless headphones which is an uber pain. I just picture snowy climate to keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    It's 39 today, I bought a new weather station which is pretty cool.

The heat coming up off the footpath/road is pretty rough when running. I have also misplaced my wireless headphones which is an uber pain. I just picture snowy climate to keep going.

Running in 39 degrees, sod that... wouldn't manage a km in that. With or without a mask. Fair play for even attempting it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Cheers kid. Did my 6km this morning it was 34 at 5am as I woke super early. Half way through my run I realised that I should not be out as our curfew means we can only go out at 6am. I was running around a lake and I had a big flash so someone at about 5.20am took a pic of me so I may get reported to the fuzz.

Had Bowie in my head, little drummer boy, I think it was because it was so dark and peaceful.

Cheers kid. Did my 6km this morning it was 34 at 5am as I woke super early. Half way through my run I realised that I should not be out as our curfew means we can only go out at 6am. I was running around a lake and I had a big flash so someone at about 5.20am took a pic of me so I may get reported to the fuzz.

Had Bowie in my head, little drummer boy, I think it was because it was so dark and peaceful.

Hopefully the flash you saw was something else though, even then whats the likelihood of you being identifiable? Reckon you'll be grand.

Used to love early morning runs in the summer, atm I'm mostly going out in the evenings when I finish work, but got out Saturday morning for a leisurely 7km... found it so hard, thats a few times now I've gone first thing before brekkie & have really struggled with no zip at all. I think the 3 month gap I had with no exercise has caught up on these aging bones, I'm really struggling to get my stamina back up at all. Methinks i need to seriously look at my diet now and lose about 7 or 8 lbs to get back to my preferred running weight.

Getting older is such a pain, I was grand up until i was 45 but the last year or 2 has been really tough to keep going... its a real effort now which being an inherently lazy person isnt really my thing :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good to see my little list got a bit of debate and posting going :)

Was nice to see 5 bold threads this morning, made me smile :D
    DvB wrote: »
    Getting older is such a pain, I was grand up until i was 45 but the last year or 2 has been really tough to keep going... its a real effort now which being an inherently lazy person isnt really my thing :D

Great; I'm 45 in a few months so guess I better cram all my sporting goals in before then!! :eek:

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Good to see my little list got a bit of debate and posting going :)

Was nice to see 5 bold threads this morning, made me smile :D

Great; I'm 45 in a few months so guess I better cram all my sporting goals in before then!! :eek:

Yeah, love seeing a few threads populated when I check in too!

I'm 48 now so I'm probably doing okay in reality given my history of sporting related injuries, I'm just having a bit of a moan really as I really have to force myself to stay active, basically there's a very lazy, obese man inside of me fighting to get out & I have to force myself to not answer that doorbell :D

DvB wrote: »
    Hopefully the flash you saw was something else though, even then whats the likelihood of you being identifiable? Reckon you'll be grand.

Im hoping it was a nosey neighbour. We have facial recognition to enter and exit the country and I also have it to enter some government buildings for work, it is linked to my resident card. So if it was the fuzz they would get me.

7km is good going for a first spin back. 45 is still a young buck, I know lads still playing senior rugby at that age, mental people. I hope I can start off with a 7km when I am 45.

I am sure there are many writers out there penning the next film classic, 'A Covid Christmas'. I need some Christmas spirit this weekend injected in to me and its only Tuesday. I get a little fix each day seeing the bold threads.

Im hoping it was a nosey neighbour. We have facial recognition to enter and exit the country and I also have it to enter some government buildings for work, it is linked to my resident card. So if it was the fuzz they would get me.

7km is good going for a first spin back. 45 is still a young buck, I know lads still playing senior rugby at that age, mental people. I hope I can start off with a 7km when I am 45.

Well fingers crossed the photo was a bad one!

BTW I'm 48 now, and to be fair I'm back running with 3 weeks under my belt (I run 4 times pw) so 7km was were I had hoped to be in terms of distance, just surprised at how slow my progress has been over the last 3 weeks, even my 5km times are way way slower than what I had been doing before Christmas and talk about aching the next morning jeez... I'm putting it down to still eating too much at home and having to lug too much timber around with me :)

Preach DVB, preach. I lost sleep last night due to working late so only got a few hours. I am meant to go for a run tonight. I am 3-4kg up on pre-covid, which has as physiological effect as it knocks me in to the next 10kg range.

We should aim for a 5km time and a 10km by Christmas and see how we get on.

Preach DVB, preach. I lost sleep last night due to working late so only got a few hours. I am meant to go for a run tonight. I am 3-4kg up on pre-covid, which has as physiological effect as it knocks me in to the next 10kg range.

We should aim for a 5km time and a 10km by Christmas and see how we get on.

Sounds like a plan.

I've at least managed to maintain my pre covid19 weight, had I not been doing the running I suspect I'd have put on at least 6 o7 lbs though as with all the easter treats I've munched chocolate at Christmas levels . Everyone else seems to be putting it on as well too though, at least the people I talk to in work are anyway so I suppose I should be thankful for not getting any heavier at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I've stayed on track and lost 6.5lbs during lockdown so hopefully it continues.

kitten_k wrote: »

Brilliant stuff Kitten K, well done. No easy feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well done kitten_k.

I had been putting weight on steadily over the last three years since I had my knee surgeries. I’d become amazingly good “not seeing” myself and was motoring on quite happily until I had to go for a routine scan on 20th Jan. The technician said “just step up on the scales please” and I almost passed out when I realised just how much weight I had put on. It was the reality check I needed and I made a decision there and then that things had to change. I’m down 15kg since then and have stuck rigidly to it throughout the lockdown. I’ve a bit more to go but I’m confident I’ll get there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That's great Cork Lass!

Great work guys, keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I started a Christmas quiz for anybody who is interested!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073714

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That’s amazing!! Well done. I’m eating all around but exercising more so I’m up and down so it’s kinda balancing itself out.

Kitten K and Cork Lass making mugs out of me. They are huge weight losses, flipping hell (a la the Chris the sheep episode of father ted).

No run last night as I had to make up from my three hours of sleep. Got up and did a quick arm circuit before work. I will got for a run tonight, i will try for 7km with a mask on. I got those cloth dust face/neck masks from amazon, it was a multi pack and some of them have a print so its like from my eyes down its a skull, incredibly silly, two in the pack are plain which is what I wanted. Anyway, I am going to search to see if they have one with santa on them so I can jog with a big white beard.

Kitten K and Cork Lass making mugs out of me. They are huge weight losses, flipping hell (a la the Chris the sheep episode of father ted).

No run last night as I had to make up from my three hours of sleep. Got up and did a quick arm circuit before work. I will got for a run tonight, i will try for 7km with a mask on. I got those cloth dust face/neck masks from amazon, it was a multi pack and some of them have a print so its like from my eyes down its a skull, incredibly silly, two in the pack are plain which is what I wanted. Anyway, I am going to search to see if they have one with santa on them so I can jog with a big white beard.

I ordered a pack of 6 of them online about 6 weeks ago, no sign of them arriving though, suspect I've been ripped off. Must look at them on amazon actually.

Have been thinking of getting some masks and think we might have to wear them when out soon enough.

Is Amazon the best place to get them? Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

These were the only ones which I could get delivered.

https://www.amazon.ae/gp/product/B07BHKBH4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are hideous. I run when it is dark on a dirt track under pylons so I dont expect to meet anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

TRS30 wrote: »
    Have been thinking of getting some masks and think we might have to wear them when out soon enough.

Is Amazon the best place to get them? Any recommendations?

I ordered from a millner in Mullingar, they are good quality. This one https://www.instagram.com/montgomerymillinery/

These were the only ones which I could get delivered.

https://www.amazon.ae/gp/product/B07BHKBH4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are hideous. I run when it is dark on a dirt track under pylons so I dont expect to meet anyone.

That SA crowd are the ones I ordered from back in March, took my money but not so much as an email since. Cant even email them. I'll be organising a chargeback through the bank in the next week or so.

We're into the the 230's now and the last day of April.

I have yet to try them out. I did a leg workout in the garden, bloody flies. I will go for a run this pm and give a review.

I have yet to try them out. I did a leg workout in the garden, bloody flies. I will go for a run this pm and give a review.

Talking about bloody animals, our neighbour across the road text last night to say she saw a rat at out side passage. My wife is freaked out now and wouldn't go out the back garden! Suppose to be increase in them around urban arrears recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Posting for no other reason than it’s my 2000th post and I couldn’t think of a better forum to post in! Happy 30th April!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy 2,000th post! :D

2000-posts.jpg?fit=286%2C235&ssl=1

Currently watching the Christmas episode of Derry Girls!

• Advertisement

31706492_570642166651990_1303697851951349760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=JvneyJGnaMkAX-EJD5m&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c920a4bb58b904f1ad086cc054d401d9&oe=5ED11C6F

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement