Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Currently watching the Christmas episode of Derry Girls!

The Christmas cupboard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just having a beer with my son and his girlfriend who lives with us and it's lovely. Feels really Christmasy as we're sitting here having a chat, I have a cooked piece of ham, a roast chicken and a big bowl of stuffing all done and the spuds are peeled ready to go for a mini Christmas dinner tomorrow.

Want to wish each and everyone of you a happy and safe May Day Weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hope everyone had a good May day weekend.

In an effort to*sleigh* some of the kgs/lbs I tested on the face/neck masks for jogging last night and they provide much better air flow than the surgical mask. The downside side is the heat, mother of god. Now it was 35 degrees and 40% humidity anyway but I was feeling wozy so pulled in home at 6.05km with a pace of 5:59. So positive, I can now get out and run whilst getting oxegen. Negative, I overheat and I am blaming it on my pace.

I love that someone was mentioning that they had their Christmas party booked at the storehouse. That is a great venue for it, though I don't drink Guinness or beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Fair play Jude, running in that heat is not easy. Have been running pretty much every day now, up to 7km at a time and doing that in around 35 minutes and starting to feel a bit more stamina creeping back... unfortunately though unlike you I do drink beer so have had a couple in the back garden over the weekend Saturday and Sunday, enjoying the good weather and my weight hasn't changed by so much as a gram... my fitness is definitely improving though so as soon as I stop the beer and treats suspect that will start to take care of itself.

Btw, great to be able to post again, boards was so slow for me the last few days it was impossible to use.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Btw, great to be able to post again, boards was so slow for me the last few days it was impossible to use.

Haven't been on since Friday however very slow for me this morning and crashed twice.

• Advertisement

DvB putting me to shame with those times. I dream of doing a 10km under 50 mins.

I make up for the no beer with plenty of wine, cider, and rum, sadly beer and stout make me very ill. I will hopefully stretch the legs tonight on a run if the youngest gets to bed early.

I am hoping to do a clear out of the shed this weekend which will involve an audit of all my Christmas stuff. When we took the decs down we had four unused sets of lights. My OH thinks we should put them in the recycle bin but I saved them for the day we buy a home alone style house.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am hoping to do a clear out of the shed this weekend which will involve an audit of all my Christmas stuff. When we took the decs down we had four unused sets of lights. My OH thinks we should put them in the recycle bin but I saved them for the day we buy a home alone style house.

As every Christmas fan knows, you can never have too many lights :D

DvB putting me to shame with those times. I dream of doing a 10km under 50 mins.

I make up for the no beer with plenty of wine, cider, and rum, sadly beer and stout make me very ill. I will hopefully stretch the legs tonight on a run if the youngest gets to bed early.

FTR, I am gassed at the 7km, I reckon an additional 3 would easily take me up to another 20 minutes as I'm really pushing that last km. Wouldn't attempt a 10km run yet, not until I feel comfortable at the 7km distance. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll be there or thereabouts. Happy enough with my progress in the last week. Oh and btw, I'm running in 15/16 degree heat, far easier than the over you're running in. Doubt I'd match your times over there let alone beat them.

Enjoy the clear out, but dont be hasty on the binning... you never know when you might need those extra lights!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I dream of doing a 10km run in any time. :pac:

Fair play to ye!

I was the same Posy, I was at a point where I couldn't run at all, not an exaggeration. My OH dragged me out and we would jog (shuffle) for 20 secs then walk and repeat. I remember celebrating jogging 1km. Takes a bit of time though.

During a meeting this morning a colleague was sharing their desktop and accidentally flicked to a pic with a santa hat on him, we then made him show us his Christmas pictures from when he went to Mozambique. It looked amazing.

• Advertisement

During a meeting this morning a colleague was sharing their desktop and accidentally flicked to a pic with a santa hat on him, we then made him show us his Christmas pictures from when he went to Mozambique. It looked amazing.

So you outted a closet Christmas fan :D

I was the same Posy, I was at a point where I couldn't run at all, not an exaggeration.

Same here. Had gone a couple of years post retirement from competitive sport being a slob basically, was single at the time & was out at football matches with friends having pints & late night takeaways etc (you know, healthy low fat stuff like that) and when I finally saw a photo of what I had turned into decided enough was enough. Having been reasonably fit for years the shock of suddenly not being able to run for more than 20-30 seconds was a real game changer, i downloaded c25k which was great for giving me some structure to get back into regular exercise.

BTW my sciatica hit me hard again last night after i finished my run so may be using the bike for a bit now as that helps greatly when that happens, the running isnt always the greatest for me when I get a spell which is really frustrating given how well I felt I was doing. Sods law!

I love the snow but there is a lot to be said looking at his pics sitting on a deserted beach with a cocktail on Christmas day with family.

Sciatica is a pain in the arse...yup weak joke. I suffer from it also and find running helps. I was a carbon copy, played loads of sports to a high enough level (not capped like you ;) then had a three years in a row where I got broken, the final year I was on crutches for nine months. Cider and takeaways for over a year and I was 110+kg. Now I run so I can eat all the Christmas treats.

Now I run so I can eat all the Christmas treats.

I could have this printed on a wall... pretty much my motto these days :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So I had a lovely long weekend, 4 days off Fri-Mon, weather was great and we had great food and drink and relaxing in the back garden in the sun. I treated it like a foreign holiday so no phones or distractions for a few days, then boards was unbearably slow over the past couple of days for me so I'm only getting back on now to post!

Hope ye all are keeping well and hopefully the 5 stage plan will bring some hope and normality back into everyone's lives.

Welcome back (kinda) boss, all good here. Sounds like a great weekend. I've been sticking to my no social media weekends as well so gives me something to look forward to on a Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to be a very different xmas feeling this year

Too early to say obviously but ya now

PTH2009 wrote: »

Stay positive. A lot can happen in 7 months.

PTH2009 wrote: »

We have to believe :)

The Christmas spirit is strong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 220's!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just thought you might want to know that I'm having a mug of soup for lunch (what with the chill in the wind and all that). The mug in question is a Santa Claus one. I'll post a pic in a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hi everyone. Had a very challenging week last while so haven’t been in. I’m hoping for a more positive coming weeks. Anyone else fear the lockdown will end too soon? I’m so relieved that I won’t be doing the exam supervision or state exam corrections.

I want the lockdown to end asap!
    But, as an 'essential' regular of public transport, I am concerned as to how this will go on buses/luas etc... Will I be able to get on a bus, will they be crowded, or will they all sail by 'full' once there are 10 passengers!?

But I am also worried that this will cause an increase of cases and ruin everything. I am jealous of the UK opening back up sooner than us, but majorly dismayed with their shambolic handling of things.

So, I think I could describe myself as conflicted. :pac:

I just want things to get back to normal- sometimes this feels like a bad dream. :(

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Had a very challenging week last while so haven’t been in. I’m hoping for a more positive coming weeks. Anyone else fear the lockdown will end too soon? I’m so relieved that I won’t be doing the exam supervision or state exam corrections.
    Just so long as you don't feel like you can't drop by, if you're having a tough week- we are here for the good and the bad. (...and let's face it, this is not the good, and may not be for quite a while.)

Call in and vent/rage/complain anytime!

We are all in the same, or at least similar, boat, and we can support each other throughout this.
    PM is always there too, if you're finding things hard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Part of me is hoping the World is going on as normal and ye are all playing a big practical joke on me and ye will eventually reveal it or I’m being filmed as some type of Thurman Show type thing!

Funnily enough a colleague on a zoom call yesterday mentioned that a pandemic like this was predicted by someone or other a few years back, even down to it being a respiratory illness and getting the dates correct... the same prediction said the virus would burn out & disappear as quickly as it arrived, we all had a collective chuckle at the stuff people find in times like these but all agreed how wondeful it would be if that came to pass.

All I can say is looking at the media this morning though is thank the stars I don't live in the US or UK, watching their keystone cops approach would be hilarious if it wasnt so serious, I'm no fan of FG (in fact thats an understatement) but whatever their sins in how they've dealt with this crisis its considerably better than out neighbours IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    Just thought you might want to know that I'm having a mug of soup for lunch (what with the chill in the wind and all that). The mug in question is a Santa Claus one. I'll post a pic in a while. :)

There you go, as promised. Isn't it only gorgeous? :D

512673.jpg

Edit: actually, the blue background is much richer, deeper, nicer in real life. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    There you go, as promised. Isn't it only gorgeous? :D

512673.jpg

Edit: actually, the blue background is much richer, deeper, nicer in real life. :)

That’s savage. I love it.

I also have a cookie jar in a very similar style, with a goldeny-beige background, Santa's head in relief (instead of the full body) and it has a red lid with a star for handle. It fits 9 Supervalu mince pies. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That is a beautiful mug :) I like how you have your priorities right ;) mince pies :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement