Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They had jars of "luxury" mincemeat on sale in Dunnes, yesterday. I got two jars. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

You’re not going to be a fan of mine as I personally hate mince pies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Autosport wrote: »

Here we go again :D

What about minced beef crispy pancakes. Anyone remember them?

Caranica wrote: »

Not a fan of mince pies either, but please tell me more about these pancakes! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Autosport wrote: »

Your loss is my gain, Autosport. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not a fan of mince pies either, but please tell me more about these pancakes! :)

This article might help ;)

https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/amp31075971/birdseye-beef-and-onion-findus-crispy-pancakes/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Caranica wrote: »

Oh yes the minced beef crispy pancakes now that’s something I can get behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I remember them as a kid when staying with an aunt. Burning the mouth off myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh no, those pancakes were disgusting...even the thought of them makes me nauseous! They're along the same lines as steak and kidney pie...eeeewww!!!

They used to make a pizza flavour one and a cheese one and a spinach one, too, I used to love those!

• Advertisement

I never even knew the beef ones existed or the pizza ones, it was only ever curry crispy pancakes in my house. Really want some now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I never even knew the beef ones existed or the pizza ones, it was only ever curry crispy pancakes in my house. Really want some now :D

Those curry ones gave me a third degree burn on my chin when I were a kid, I remember biting into it & the bottom burst, spilling the curry flavored lava onto my chin... my god the pain, I can still remember it... had a horrible blister & bright red scar about an inch and a half long from my lower lip down to my chin for a long time after... havent entertained buying them since.

The talk of mince pies, the real christmas fruity parcels of delight though.... yum, counting down the days to picking up my first box of them for christmas 2020.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    The talk of mince pies, the real christmas fruity parcels of delight though.... yum, counting down the days to picking up my first box of them for christmas 2020.

I still have some. :cool:

And with my newly acquired jars of mincemeat I'm going to make more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

This guy get's it.

Bah humbug to you mince pie haters :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    This guy get's it.

Bah humbug to you mince pie haters :D

Exactly!!:cool:

New Home wrote: »
    I still have some. :cool:

And with my newly acquired jars of mincemeat I'm going to make more.

We had 2 boxes of them frozen, but during the start of the 'lockdown' we treated ourselves and ended up eating them all over a week or so... purely because rather than defrosting as we needed them my wife did them all in one go so we couldn't refreeze them & were 'forced' ;)to eat them before they went stale/off.

Saw the jars of mincemeat in Dunnes last weekend but TBH I prefer to leave them until the most wonderful time of the year to indulge at this stage.

Though in saying that, i'd love one now with a cup of coffee....:pac:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Those curry ones gave me a third degree burn on my chin when I were a kid, I remember biting into it & the bottom burst, spilling the curry flavored lava onto my chin... my god the pain, I can still remember it... had a horrible blister & bright red scar about an inch and a half long from my lower lip down to my chin for a long time after... havent entertained buying them since.

Oh no :( my sister did the same thing, but with an easi single cheese toastie, and she wasn't a kid. She was eating them again the following day, stupidly stubborn :L

Ah ya can keep your fruit :D I'll be happy with a gingerbread man or chocolate Santy :)

I got some cookie cutters delivered the other day, didn't check the dimensions and the gingerbread man is so teeney! More like a gingerbread baby, I was delighted, but will be looking again for a proper sized one.

Oh no :( my sister did the same thing, but with an easi single cheese toastie, and she wasn't a kid. She was eating them again the following day, stupidly stubborn :L

Ah ya can keep your fruit :D I'll be happy with a gingerbread man or chocolate Santy :)

I got some cookie cutters delivered the other day, didn't check the dimensions and the gingerbread man is so teeney! More like a gingerbread baby, I was delighted, but will be looking again for a proper sized one.

We got some in Homestore & More back for christmas 2017, 3 different sizes in the one set, the large is massive, so we tend to use the middle one, use it for cookies mostly though did actually make gingerbread last year too.

Check & see if they get them back in after halloween. They wont be slow in getting their christmas stock back on the shelves (assuming they're opening at that time :confused: )

We got some in Homestore & More back for christmas 2017, 3 different sizes in the one set, the large is massive, so we tend to use the middle one, use it for cookies mostly though did actually make gingerbread last year too.

Check & see if they get them back in after halloween. They wont be slow in getting their christmas stock back on the shelves (assuming they're opening at that time :confused: )

Yes! Thank you :) Homestore & More is great for bits and bobs, I'm hoping to get their silicone cupcake cases too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This Christmas will probably feel a lot more special for me at least, with these restrictions probably lasting a half year, I will really make time and memories with people closest to me (assuming we're in a better position by then, and no reason to assume not :))

• Advertisement

I got mine in Heatons, back when it was still open in my neck of the woods. Set of three, as well. TK Maxx is another good place for finding that kind of things.

I suspect its the current situation playing tricks on me but I can honestly say I can't remember ever having a real craving for christmas so early in the year. Dont get me wrong I always the odd thought but usually it would only be after my summer holidays (or September when the kids go back to school) that i'd start to reallynotice my mind drift towards it, but the last few weeks at home at my desk have had me thinking of it more so, I suspect knowing our sun holidays wont happen now has played a part too as theres little else we have planned, or indeed can plan for at the moment.

Anyone else on here having thoughts of Christmas yet? Whether they be past or future?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love Christmas, but don't want to wish the year away, so try and put festive thoughts out of my head until August. By then, I've been away on holidays, the Brown Thomas Christmas shop is opening, kids are going back to school etc, and I start making shopping lists and plans. :)

This year- feck all that! I want Christmas NOW. :D
    I am hopeful that things by then will be much improved, because, honestly I don't think I can get through the next few weeks/months without some light at the end of the tunnel.

I was thinking a lot about Christmas yesterday because I was tidying up and found some old receipts from December.
    The packed shops, fancy festive coffees, the atmosphere, the lights, Christmas concerts in Christchurch cathedral and the National Concert Hall, the Dublin Castle Christmas market... and it just made me sad and afraid, as the future is so uncertain.

Yearning for the future makes me maudlin, thinking about how wrong everything has gone this year makes me sad, and wondering will things ever be back to normal at all makes me anxious. So I'm trying not to think much at all right now! :pac:

Visualising my future self in happier times, taking the lights and decorations out of the attic already gives me a warm glow, and it's a nice beacon of light during these dark days.

Posy, that post has given me such a lift, thank you for that, genuinely great to know that I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am still at the stage of looking at summer holidays unrealistically pretending of what might have been, renting a yacht and sailing around a Greek island (not possible for numerous reasons) and even wishing I was on a plane home, forgetting the hell that is having two kids, one of which is a little over a year and won't sit still for 2 seconds.

Christmas is still far far away in my mind, for today at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We had two holidays booked for this summer. As they won't be going ahead we have used to the money to get our back garden done so we have somewhere nice to spend our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Anyone else on here having thoughts of Christmas yet? Whether they be past or future?

Can relate to this 100%.

Similar to Posy, and many others I'm sure, I love the summer so Christmas wouldn't be too much on my mind till at least September. Obviously this year is different and so my thinking is different as well. While I will still enjoy the good weather and getting out with the kids, picnics (locally of course) etc, it will just not be the same.

As Elf3 is still teething, we have taken to getting her asleep in the evening by going for a walk with the buggy around 8pm. I've been doing the last few nights and it's given me a bit of head space and some time to think. Christmas keeps popping into my head and I start to wonder what it will be like this year, will the kids be able to sit on Santa's knee, we all the family be able to get together to go on a Santa experience, Christmas day etc.

I try to rationalise to myself that as it is still some time away and that things will be back to a more 'normal' state of affairs and we'll be able to have the Christmas we want. Deep down I have a fear that we wouldn't however I try to stay positive as I'm a positive person and it makes me feel better believing.

I can imagine as the days and weeks continue to blur into one another and May slips into June, June into July etc that I'll start to think about it even more and I hope I can keep up the positivity.

The best thing about it is that I have here to come to and dump my thoughts in a long rambling post and not have to worry about been looked at strangely :)

kitten_k wrote: »
    We had two holidays booked for this summer. As they won't be going ahead we have used to the money to get our back garden done so we have somewhere nice to spend our time.

We already have accepted that our sun holiday in July wont happen, so allowing for the usual runaround from Ryanair with getting a refund, we hope to get it back in time for Christmas, betetr still to put off our annual tax bill which we usually get at the end of October... at least then we'll be well set up for the Christmas spending and wont have to worry about that particular hit for once.
    Not much of a silver lining but hey, little victories & all that good stuff!

We already have accepted that our sun holiday in July wont happen, so allowing for the usual runaround from Ryanair with getting a refund, we hope to get it back in time for Christmas, betetr still to put off our annual tax bill which we usually get at the end of October... at least then we'll be well set up for the Christmas spending and wont have to worry about that particular hit for once.
    Not much of a silver lining but hey, little victories & all that good stuff!

My mam has flights booked with them for next week. Got an email to say they were cancelled and she could either get a full refund (takes 20 days) or change her flights. I rang to change them until the same times next year, still waiting on the change to go through one week later!!

• Advertisement

Our company would normally be planning our Christmas party - doubt things like that will happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement