Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tomorrow is day 199.... that's just crazy, it really hasn't sank in yet just how quick this year is going! I've deffo noticed it moving faster this year but seeing day 199 on the countdown really hits home just how quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Tomorrow is day 199.... that's just crazy, it really hasn't sank in yet just how quick this year is going! I've deffo noticed it moving faster this year but seeing day 199 on the countdown really hits home just how quick.

convinced the WFH for 12 weeks has turned into a big blur that is making it feel shorter, its like a collective amnesia has descended across us all or something. If the next 12 go tgat quick we'll be up to September and schools being back (hopefully)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The way things are going I can definitely see the schools being back in September. We’re doing really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I really need the schools to go back :P Joking aside, for me, it's a big indicator that things are getting back to normal - planning for the new school year. I'm finding it all a struggle to be honest at this point. It's really hitting home this week that Elf No. 3 is nearly 7 weeks old and most of our family haven't seen her. No one has had any cuddles with her - it all makes me a bit sad really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

6ISMxhaZINRHdnZJS8W5L81HcryJXM5bHOCwKj5t83B6McjxZQAYk27YJ6gBcvfIwpt4REonTzReYC2hdwCgUb6UNdRrhNNA00PT5X3bqFPnOuyFqTi3PCteWrk_blNGFs9jpbQk5roG6Q

• Advertisement

Well we're into the 190's!
    The last 100 days flew. If everything goes according to plan we'll see decorations arriving in Brown Thomas and a few bits arriving in the shops in the next 100 days!

Into the 100's!!! Yay!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Boom! First thing I though of when I woke up this morning. Really needing the Christmas cheer this week already and its only Tuesday!!

6ISMxhaZINRHdnZJS8W5L81HcryJXM5bHOCwKj5t83B6McjxZQAYk27YJ6gBcvfIwpt4REonTzReYC2hdwCgUb6UNdRrhNNA00PT5X3bqFPnOuyFqTi3PCteWrk_blNGFs9jpbQk5roG6Q

This wouldn't open for me. Is this the 199 countdown or are you keeping us in suspense?? :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    This wouldn't open for me. Is this the 199 countdown or are you keeping us in suspense?? :D

I'm almost certain I posted it at midnight but something must have went wrong with it!

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain I posted it at midnight but something must have went wrong with it!

If I hadn't seen your posts in this thread I would have been worried about you :)

As I said before, the countdown is one of the few daily constancies left!!

Thats the only reason I posted a 199 in the countdown, yours is usually there a few seconds after midnight or so and not seeing it there this morning just popped one up so we didnt miss a day in error. All's good now though.
    Anyway, day 199 is special enough to have more than one entry :D

Wow 199 scary to think when we reach 99 days just how close we’ll be to the big day!!

Wow 199 scary to think when we reach 99 days just how close we’ll be to the big day!!

Blink and you'll miss it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

When we reach 150 days, it'll be the end of July, with the August bank holiday just around the corner. :)

Posy wrote: »
    When we reach 150 days, it'll be the end of July, with the August bank holiday just around the corner. :)

Excellent. August bank holiday sweet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Excellent. August bank holiday sweet :D

Sweet is subjective! My birthday that weekend and another year older but no wiser:(:D

When we hit 200 days. I generally break it down into 25 day slots.
    First one is essentially June, fathers day,etc.
    Second one you've Schools finish for the Summer, Argos Catalogue out and height of the Summer.
    Third one you've The Brown Thomas Christmas Shop open, few bits appearing in the shop.
    Then the final one schools reopen, Autumn and Winter programs are on and you hit 100 days.

I know this year may be slightly different.

I vaguely remember it coming up in here years back about July being the last month with no real Christmas content in the year, I remember questioning how at the time and being told of the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opening in August or suchlike, so if thats still the case, we've only one full month in 2020 with no christmas 'stuff'...

* i suspect I may be pushing the boat here lookig for christmas related positives

I remember that as well, certainly helps keep the optimism levels up :)

I see you close to 3K post DvB, hope you have something memorable to post for the occasion :D

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    I remember that as well, certainly helps keep the optimism levels up :)

I see you close to 3K post DvB, hope you have something memorable to post for the occasion :D

I always save the landmark posts for in here (not that that'd be hard!) :D
    Glad you reminded me though, had lost track.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DvB wrote: »
    I vaguely remember it coming up in here years back about July being the last month with no real Christmas content in the year, I remember questioning how at the time and being told of the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opening in August or suchlike, so if thats still the case, we've only one full month in 2020 with no christmas 'stuff'...

* i suspect I may be pushing the boat here lookig for christmas related positives
    July is when I usually take my summer holidays, so once I get to the end of July and into August, I'm in full on Christmas mode!

I'm hoping the BT Christmas shop will still open at it's usual time, because that will give me a major lift in mood. :D

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Sweet is subjective! My birthday that weekend and another year older but no wiser:(:D

I thought our birthdays don’t count towards our age this year cause of lockdown :pac:

July is when I usually take my summer holidays, so once I get to the end of July and into August, I'm in full on Christmas mode!

I'm hoping the BT Christmas shop will still open at it's usual time, because that will give me a major lift in mood. :D

I take mine at the end of this month then it’s straight into Christmas mode :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I thought our birthdays don’t count towards our age this year cause of lockdown :pac:

:D:D:D if only! Really though, everyone on this forum are young at heart:)

We're a July holiday family too, but our countdown really starts when the kids go back to school after the summer. Hope that continues this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

My OH usually goes on holiday at the beginning of July and I join them near in August. This year will be a summer together. Still have not cancelled my flights in early July, I am being an optimist.

Moving house today/tomorrow. Have guys putting up a new stud wall, AC controllers and cutting down tress out the back. Neighbors were not too happy as it gave them shade and privacy, one was about to fall down and its about 30 feet tall. The landlord said it was up to us, but if we said leave them it was on us to look after them. I will drop in a bottle of wine when we move in and slip in to the conversation about planting trees in their garden for shade. The Christmas Decorations will be moved tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I keep asking/telling everyone to please wait until the nesting season is over before cutting down trees, especially if they are mature. Please wait a couple of months. Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

No need to worry, its not nesting season where I am. You need approvals to remove trees (nesting taken in to account), the one that was about to fall had to be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Phew! :) Thanks Jude. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement