Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Same here chief, mental in work lately, there was a dull dark dreary day last week which just left me a longing for Christmas and the tree and the bright lights.

I'm looking forward to the NFL season starting up as that's always a marker Christmas and dark nights are coming.

I'm getting to spend less and less time on here these days which is making me guilty about not being around more often, I miss just hanging out here.

I've been sticking to my no online weekends for awhile now and its nice to get a break away small screens for a couple of days, I do miss hearing what happening in here and look forward to Monday morning when I check back in. You're like my weekday family :D

Looking forward to the NFL as well, feel the Eagles are going to have a good season..........Go Birds!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the NFL as well, feel the Eagles are going to have a good season..........Go Birds!!!

Speaking of Eagles have you gotten round to watching the Eagles All or Nothing on Amazon Prime?

No, I don't have Amazon Prime so did start to look around to see where could watch it for free and never got round to it. Heard it was v good from Eagles fans I follow on twitter.

Did you watch it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No, I don't have Amazon Prime so did start to look around to see where could watch it for free and never got round to it. Heard it was v good from Eagles fans I follow on twitter.

Did you watch it?

I've watched all the other 5 seasons of it, the Eagles one is the latest and up next on my playlist. It's a very addictive show. I love sports documentaries in general, the American Football ones are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have to say they do doc's very very well. The way they use dramatic music and editing to portray that there was edge of the seat tension for the for a 3.5 hour game is very talented, and manages to get me. They also manage to depict franchises/floating teams being almost historical and a part of the fabric of the every man. Still draws me in on a slow day to see them. My favorite, though very old, snippet is the Autumn wind.

I will be venturing high up on a ladder this pm to hang the lights out the back from our roof to a tree. They are not Christmas lights, but still a string of nice lights which I think are Christmassy. Our local hardware shop has Christmas stock in. I can't post pics at the moment but when I figure it out I will throw them up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cheers, I have bookmarked it. I am always weary of posting pics due to the anonymous nature of the board. I wouldn't be hard to narrow down quite a few people.

I need to do a to scale drawing of the ground floor of the new house and get opinions on where the tree goes. We have a fat tree.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cheers, I have bookmarked it. I am always weary of posting pics due to the anonymous nature of the board. I wouldn't be hard to narrow down quite a few people.

I need to do a to scale drawing of the ground floor of the new house and get opinions on where the tree goes. We have a fat tree.

Completely agree with you. :)

New Home wrote: »
    Completely agree with you. :)

Yea, over the course of time, you probably say enough things, that is isolation don't mean much however when all put together probably end up revealing more then you intended. I'm very guilty of it and sometimes have to delete things I have typed as realise is to specific or detailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I must not have the mind for detective work so, I reckon theres not a chance I know who anyone on here is, though I tend to not go hunting to piece stuff together where for others its almost second nature.
    I struggle as to who's male or female on here nevermind actually identify who they are in real life :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Ha, not too many expat Irish Christmas nuts in the middle east though.

Ha, not too many expat Irish Christmas nuts in the middle east though.

Good point, well made ;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I must not have the mind for detective work so, I reckon theres not a chance I know who anyone on here is, though I tend to not go hunting to piece stuff together where for others its almost second nature.
    I struggle as to who's male or female on here nevermind actually identify who they are in real life :D

Me too, I probably over think it!

Anyway I'm Mister Grey, nothing too distinguishing about me, I blend into the background. Would make a good spy! :D

Right I’m off out to stalk Jude13...... :pac:

Ha, (nervous laughter), a little freaked out and wishing I had been a bit more cryptic in choosing my log in name.

My daughter is running around at the speed of light now. One of my dreams was one day having a bundle of joy to see their expression on Christmas morning and running down the stairs with excitement. I cannot wait for the next few Christmases. Going by what she loves now she will be getting a bag of compost to eat as that is her favorite thing to do.

Ha, (nervous laughter), a little freaked out and wishing I had been a bit more cryptic in choosing my log in name.

My daughter is running around at the speed of light now. One of my dreams was one day having a bundle of joy to see their expression on Christmas morning and running down the stairs with excitement. I cannot wait for the next few Christmases. Going by what she loves now she will be getting a bag of compost to eat as that is her favorite thing to do.

My cat does that, too, Jude the Obscure. :pac:

..... One of my dreams was one day having a bundle of joy to see their expression on Christmas morning and running down the stairs with excitement. I cannot wait for the next few Christmases. .....

Of all the great things about having kids, this is right up there in the top 3. Elf1 is going to be 6 this Christmas so have had 5 already and don't think it will ever get old :)

Of all the great things about having kids, this is right up there in the top 3. Elf1 is going to be 6 this Christmas so have had 5 already and don't think it will ever get old :)

Its the one thing I dread about ours growing up, we're running out of christmas's were they 'believe'

On a few of our lockdown walks the they've wanted to talk about christmas & have raised the subject of santa enough for us to know (or be fairly confident anyway) that they know, the really charming thing is I suspect they're trying to let us down gently that they know the truth and don't want to hurt our feelings, so I give them the speech about christmas meaning lots of things to lots of people & it's what they want it to be & what they believe it to mean that's important.

So unfortunately its looking like our days of the 'santa' experiences are over, and theres a part of me that feels terribly sad that this is the case, but theres also a part of me thats excited to see them both grow up & develop into the people they are... we'll always celebrate christmas, it'll just be a little different from now on, but thats maybe not a bad thing, we'll keep our traditions but find new ways to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year as a family.

Spot on DvB, keeping the magic going not to let the folks down. Im still doing it with my folks and I'm in my 30's.

I see my Dad as excited as my kids opening his Christmas presents and he's in his 70s.

The Christmas magic is ageless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 180's!
    Looking forward to entering the 170's because we'll nearly have a quarter of the 200's done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't believe how much time is flying! :D

We're into the 180's!
    Looking forward to entering the 170's because we'll nearly have a quarter of the 200's done!

Breaking it up into small chunks always seems to make it go quicker/easier. Like eating your veg/meat when you were a kid :D

Posy wrote: »

It really is bizarre. Given the upheaval to all our lives around covid19 I really would have expected the time to have dragged.

I suspect for me its been due to workload not letting up, in fact I've never been busier, but even the days I was struggling mood wise seemed to move along at a lick.

Normally our year would be split down the middle by our summer holidays which we'd have been on in 2 weeks (sadly not going now:() so when we're past that & into the second half of the year & on the downward leg of the journey it'll whizz by.

I'm really hoping the second half of the year is much more positive & upbeat as 2020 has been a proper pig of a year so far.

Breaking it up into small chunks always seems to make it go quicker/easier. Like eating your veg/meat when you were a kid :D

Normally the school year does that for us, hence not having structure I'd have expected it to drag, but that hasnt been the case at all... not complaining mind.

Tell me about, it feels like I'm writing my Friday, 'Have a good weekend' post every other day at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

time really has flown, cant believe we're half way there....Christmas 19 still feels like 2 months ago to me! I think Christmas is going to be really special for people. Itll be a proper celebration at the end of a crappy year, to spend with the ones we love!! cant wait! mushy post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm terrified that June is almost over, but I'm excited that soon (ok a few months) it will start to feel like Christmas.

I hope COVID doesn't spoil the Christmas nights too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DvB wrote: »
    Normally our year would be split down the middle by our summer holidays which we'd have been on in 2 weeks (sadly not going now:() so when we're past that & into the second half of the year & on the downward leg of the journey it'll whizz by.
    I'm the same!
    My year is usually split into 'looking forward to going away', followed by 'looking forward to Christmas.' :pac:

I usually get over January/new year, celebrate Easter, then it's shopping for and planning my holiday, counting down to my holiday, and once that's over, there is generally only a week or two to the August Bank Holiday weekend, and once August hits THAT IS IT. :D

Once I made peace with not going away this year, I felt a lot better. I was probably in denial for longer than I should have been. :p

• Advertisement

I'm the same!
    My year is usually split into 'looking forward to going away', followed by 'looking forward to Christmas.' :pac:

I usually get over January/new year, celebrate Easter, then it's shopping for and planning my holiday, counting down to my holiday, and once that's over, there is generally only a week or two to the August Bank Holiday weekend, and once August hits THAT IS IT. :D

Once I made peace with not going away this year, I felt a lot better. I was probably in denial for longer than I should have been. :p

Could have written that myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement