Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wonder what the whole Christmas busy and bustling shops, bars, restaurants etc will be like under COVID-19 ��

Sorry to put a dampner on the thread.

Me and my friends were just discussing what to do for our Christmas party. I think it's just going to be a case of booking everything really early.

I feel it will certainly be different, but we just have to make the most of it. I really can't wait for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Posy wrote: »
    You're not- we've discussed it a lot here if you have a look. :)

Sorry missed that, won't bring up again and will read through peiokes thoughts- thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder what the whole Christmas busy and bustling shops, bars, restaurants etc will be like under COVID-19 ��

Sorry to put a dampner on the thread.

It's been in other threads also.
    I think the shopping element will be fine but people won't go on as many shopping trips browsing.
    However I wouldn't leave things go to the last minute.
    Bar and restaurants probably won't be as busy. With working from home, more studying from home, they will probably be less people around. People will still go out and met up in bars and restaurants tough. However I think people getting take away's from there favorite restaurants and heading home together will be popular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Some chat posts moved from the Out of Season thread to here. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A random bit of Christmas Trivia over in England way back when Edward the 6th past a law that people had to walk to church on Christmas Day, apparently that law is still in existence over there but just no longer enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    A random bit of Christmas Trivia over in England way back when Edward the 6th past a law that people had to walk to church on Christmas Day, apparently that law is still in existence over there but just no longer enforced.

You learn something new every day as they say :D

Must be why the royal family always try and set a good example. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just imagine- Brown Thomas will be opening their Christmas shop in about 4 weeks :D

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Just imagine- Brown Thomas will be opening their Christmas shop in about 4 weeks :D

Can't wait for the usual outrage, always makes me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the usual outrage, always makes me laugh :D

I dont even let it register anymore. Folk are just dying to be outraged at everything nowadays, leave them to it I say.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    I dont even let it register anymore. Folk are just dying to be outraged at everything nowadays, leave them to it I say.

To be honest, I actually feel sorry for people like that. Obviously have so little going on in their lives that they get upset about something that doesn't impact them in the least and could totally ignore with even the minimum amount of effort!

To be honest, I actually feel sorry for people like that. Obviously have so little going on in their lives that they get upset about something that doesn't impact them in the least and could totally ignore with even the minimum amount of effort!

Exactly.

For example, some of the folk I work with go bananas with the feigned 'shock/outrage if you mention the 'C' word... like seriously, its hardy taboo... and anyway, if thats the case dont start talking about summer holidays in January if you dont like chatting about stuff a few months in advance... you'd swear it was a punishment... Tell them if they dont like it to ignore it & go into work as normal and you'll soon see them retreat.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cork Lass wrote: »

I never go to BT, but I always look forward to the announcement of the Christmas shop.

I never go to BT, but I always look forward to the announcement of the Christmas shop.

Same, would never go into the place however once the Christmas shop opens always pop in for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I always pop in the first day and buy an ornament for my tree 🌳 but mightn’t go again for ages.

I'm the same- I try and pop in on the first day, or at least the first week and get a few small bits. :)

I generally don't shop in BT normally, except occasionally for cosmetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I saw somewhere yesterday that Christmas FM are running their training courses online to get their rookie DJ's up to speed. Can't wait for it to be on the radio again.

I saw somewhere yesterday that Christmas FM are running their training courses online to get their rookie DJ's up to speed. Can't wait for it to be on the radio again.

Lesson 1: Talk less and play more music :D

Talkative DJ's have ruined many a mixed tape. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Posy wrote: »
    Talkative DJ's have ruined many a mixed tape. :pac:

Now that's a blast from the past, Mixed Tapes:D I remember sitting by the pause button on my old ghetto blaster trying to stop the recording before the DJ started speaking again:( It often took many attempts to get things right:D
    How things have changed with digital downloads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Now that's a blast from the past, Mixed Tapes:D I remember sitting by the pause button on my old ghetto blaster trying to stop the recording before the DJ started speaking again:( It often took many attempts to get things right:D
    How things have changed with digital downloads!

Mixed tapes are up there with the best gifts ever received, ever !

Many an evening was spent making them for girls that I had crushes on! Good times!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So Wales have officially announced this morning there will be no Santa Grottos or Public Christmas Lights in any of the towns/cities.

The grottos I completely understand but the lights... that decision is baffling...

So Wales have officially announced this morning there will be no Santa Grottos or Public Christmas Lights in any of the towns/cities.

The grottos I completely understand but the lights... that decision is baffling...

Dont alot of places in the UK make a really big deal of the lights 'turning on' ceremonies though? Maybe its just an attempt to stop any potential gatherings, official or unofficial.

Though I agree, thats an odd decision, could easily put them up & just turn them on to brighten up the place & give a little christmas cheer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For retail trade especially. I’d think the lights are important.
    Who’d have thought during Christmas 2019 that places would be in the this position.

DvB wrote: »
    Dont alot of places in the UK make a really big deal of the lights 'turning on' ceremonies though? Maybe its just an attempt to stop any potential gatherings, official or unofficial.

Simple way around all that is to turn them on mid-week during the day with no official announcement. My hometown does that every year, they're either too lazy or too poor to do a Christmas lights turning on ceremony

Simple way around all that is to turn them on mid-week during the day with no official announcement.

Absolutely.
    As I said, just put them up & turn them on without all the fanfare.

The more I think about it the more of a cop out it really is.

Unless local retails share the cost (not sure how much this is likely to be) and as many have been closed they can't afford it. Just a thought.

Unless local retails share the cost (not sure how much this is likely to be) and as many have been closed they can't afford it. Just a thought.

That is how they are usually paid, like the shops on O'Connell street pay a contribution each year for the O'Connell Street lights.

I understand they are struggling but surely it can't be that much of a cost and surelyt it would attract customers and increased footfall.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair point, though I'd have thought the shopping precincts would be willing to spend on something like this, this year with a view to even trying to recoup what has been a poor years return to date. Fingers crossed it won't happen here anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement