Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    The grottos I completely understand but the lights... that decision is baffling...
    They've cancelled Christmas. :(
    DvB wrote: »
    Fingers crossed it won't happen here anyway.
    Oh don't even. That's my one ray of home this miserable year! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »

Oh don't even. That's my one ray of home this miserable year! :eek:

Meet your brother Posy. I'm just focused on Christmas now already, I want this year done with asap.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Christmas will be okay once we don't see a big spike in numbers. A lot will depend on what you make of it tough.
    At the moment we've families going to beach, to the supermarket, cinema, restaurants, friends meeting up for food,etc. Whilst staying in there groups and away from others and they seem happy enough while things are a bit different.
    On the other hand you've people going out once a week in an almost panic about seeing somebody out in pairs, or if somebody touches something and don't buy it. Don't even mention purchasing fresh food to them.
    Now I get some people might be scared.
    But, I think Christmas this year will be what you make of it. Regarding how you contact with people, family, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Meet your brother Posy. I'm just focused on Christmas now already, I want this year done with asap.

Not a massive New Year's fan however was saying to the wife the other day, this year I'll definitely be raising a glass to 2021. Can't be worse, can it?!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas will be fine as long as we're not confined to a travel ban within 20km....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Christmas will be fine as long as we're not confined to a travel ban within 20km....

I think Christmas will be great still this year, it will just be unique. We just need to enjoy it for what it is. You might have to do things differently, but Christmas is still a fun time of year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think Christmas will be great still this year, it will just be unique. We just need to enjoy it for what it is. You might have to do things differently, but Christmas is still a fun time of year.

If there is any lockdown there's a chance we cant travel back home which would mean we would end up having dinner for two for Christmas which isnt the same. Christmas is about family.

Was only listening to them chatting about that on the radio & that a step back to phase 2 could still happen depending on numbers between now & the schools provisionally returning in order to protect that happening, that would bring us back to the county limits/20km restriction which in reality wouldnt affect me or my family but would many many others so am hopeful we can keep on top of things & have them no worse then thay are at the moment & then ideally for christmas fingers crossed a bit better again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

If there is any lockdown there's a chance we cant travel back home which would mean we would end up having dinner for two for Christmas which isnt the same. Christmas is about family.

I suppose I overlooked that. I still live with my folks, and we just have dinner with the 5 of us.

I completely overlooked that people travel to visit family, so hopefully that can still go ahead.

I’m hoping for lots of repeats this Christmas and that they don’t make a load off Covid-19 at Christmas programs!

• Advertisement

I’m hoping for lots of repeats this Christmas and that they don’t make a load off Covid-19 at Christmas programs!

I tend to not watch structured TV so much nowadays so they can put on whatever they want, but if its stuff reminding us of how bad a year its been I'll be sticking to my usual diet of old movies, netflix & streaming & then sky+ the specific things I want to watch.

Christmas Gold will have all the usual Only Fools & Gavin & Stacey & suchlike, so we'll not be stuck for stuff to watch. Very little of what I watch at Christmas is new material anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah wish xmas and new year's would come and we get into 2021 which we hope will be a better year and we can do things as normal. Have so many concerts next year (which were all suppose to be this year).

Lockdown in april/may seemed a bit like Christmas in terms of being in the home so much and towns beens basically deserted.

I like a lot of people enjoy the few Christmas pints and hoping it will be business as normal

Only 4 more 25th before the important one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Need to get planning for Christmas, should be book flights or not. The last few weeks have been hectic so I have not been on here though greatly miss the Christmas spirit.

We’re having turkey, ham, bread stuffing, potatoe stuffing, bread sauce, gravy for dinner!

We’re having turkey, ham, bread stuffing, potatoe stuffing, bread sauce, gravy for dinner!

I had roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes, mash and carrots and gravy. Felt Christmassy.

The weather today reminded me of a late August day and not July. Beginning to load up my podcast list with spooky podcasts and Christmas podcasts, deffo a sign of the times :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just to put a damper on things, I've a feeling that there'll be no Santa's grottos anywhere, this year.

I had roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes, mash and carrots and gravy. Felt Christmassy.

The weather today reminded me of a late August day and not July. Beginning to load up my podcast list with spooky podcasts and Christmas podcasts, deffo a sign of the times :)

Any podcast recommendations? They sound great.

Any podcast recommendations? They sound great.

Spooky ones one the run up to Halloween I listen to are “Anything Ghost Show” and “Spooked”

Christmas ones “Tis the Season”, “Can’t wait for Christmas”, “The total Christmas Podcast”, “Merry Britsmas”

• Advertisement

Spooky ones one the run up to Halloween I listen to are “Anything Ghost Show” and “Spooked”

Christmas ones “Tis the Season”, “Can’t wait for Christmas”, “The total Christmas Podcast”, “Merry Britsmas”

Thank you :)

We had a veggie curry ( wife is a vegetarian) so a common occurrence, not very Christmassy... but if you pretended the courgette was turkey it could have been the day after st Stephens day dinner! Was tasty anyway!

We went to the phoenix park today with the kids and walked all around the magazine fort and the 40 acres, saw loads of deer which did bring up chat of reindeer and Christmas!!

I ordered a 1.25kg smoked brisket as I am home alone and it will do me for lunch and dinner for a few days. That plus some kale salad are my home alone diet. I made egg and bacon muffins for the week to save time in the morning so that I can walk the dog. The smell of the bacon is very Christmas morning.

We did Santa's grotto in Limerick, it was in Bunratty castle and it was excellent. The medieval village had fake snow and the wee ones loved it.

New Home wrote: »
    Just to put a damper on things, I've a feeling that there'll be no Santa's grottos anywhere, this year.

Wales have already ruled out any chance this year for Santa Grottos....

Perhaps it will lead to a black market Santa Grotto.... hmmmm....

Horrible morning out there earlier, felt like an October morning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Perhaps it will lead to a black market Santa Grotto.... hmmmm....

LOL to this !

I have no doubt someone somewhere is already planning it !

We've 150 days to go now. Half ways through the 200's :)
    95 days until Halloween.
    89 until the clocks go back. 89 days ago was roughly the 1st of May.
    We've the August weekend now and we'll hopefully have a few Christmas bits arriving in the shops to get to 100 days to go.

I know. I think to much about this.

I know. I think to much about this.

I think you're far from being alone FP. Its all I seem to be looking forward to this year.

Same here guys. I also have 'step in to Christmas' in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm still holding out hope that we will have the announcement that a vaccine has been found and will be distributed to all in time for Christmas - hurrah! :D

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

But, I think Christmas this year will be what you make of it. Regarding how you contact with people, family, etc.
    It's just occured to me how covid might affect our usual Christmas - Santas Grotto is a big one, we also probably won't be able to go ice-skating this year either. We've never been a family to do loads of visiting so that wont change much.

But I might stock up a bit earlier than usual this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement