Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah, any days we carry over into new leave year (starts July 1st), we have to use those days by December 31st or lose them - I carried over 10 and am taking 5 days in a few weeks, so will have another 5 to use before Christmas....not too shabby! Reckon I'll need them!

We had a strict use it our loose it. I had 4 days from last year carried over, and 12.5 days (half my annual allowance) to take by 30 June. I only managed to take 10 days so lost 6.5 days. Grrrhhh.

Loughc 'can't wait for Christmas' is bloody brilliant. Listening to the ones back in 2015 at lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »

Loughc 'can't wait for Christmas' is bloody brilliant. Listening to the ones back in 2015 at lunch.

Where did you download the podcasts from?
    Wouldnt mind having something to listen to instead of spotify ATM for the days I'm working from home.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Podcast Republic

Podcast Republic

Nice one. Am on it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Podcast Republic

Is it not on Spotify? I did a search with that name and a podcast came up - maybe it's a different one?

• Advertisement

No idea as I don't have spotify. Its by a dude called Tim Babb

I have downloaded:
    Episode 2: Aug 2015 - Jingle Bells & Non-traditional Christmas movies
    Episode 3: Sept 15 - Real v fake trees and Favorite Christmas TV episodes
    Episode 4: Oct 15 - The story of a Christmas carol and best Christmas candles
    Episode 7: Jan 16 - the 2016 Jingle Brawl and St. Nicholas trivia.

I have only listened to episode 2 so far.

No idea as I don't have spotify. Its by a dude called Tim Babb

I have downloaded:
    Episode 2: Aug 2015 - Jingle Bells & Non-traditional Christmas movies
    Episode 3: Sept 15 - Real v fake trees and Favorite Christmas TV episodes
    Episode 4: Oct 15 - The story of a Christmas carol and best Christmas candles
    Episode 7: Jan 16 - the 2016 Jingle Brawl and St. Nicholas trivia.

I have only listened to episode 2 so far.

Yes, it's on spotify, but episodes only go back as far as January 2017

https://www.podcastrepublic.net/podcast/1024437643

Heres the full list thats up on podcast republic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    https://www.podcastrepublic.net/podcast/1024437643

Heres the full list thats up on podcast republic

I see he even tackles the tough issues as well :D

'CWFC 030 – Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?'

Have listened to the first 2 already & currently on the third. At just under half an hour each they're a grand wee listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,743 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dealz is opening in my town in next few weeks. Can't wait to see there Christmas stock.(Well it's something to do).

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes, it's on spotify, but episodes only go back as far as January 2017

https://cantwaitforchristmaspod.com/

On the website too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Have listened to the first 2 already & currently on the third. At just under half an hour each they're a grand wee listen.

Yeah I like them for that reason. Nice short and snappy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We had a strict use it our loose it. I had 4 days from last year carried over, and 12.5 days (half my annual allowance) to take by 30 June. I only managed to take 10 days so lost 6.5 days. Grrrhhh.

Yeah it’s an easy listen isn’t it. Spread them out as Tim will grate on you heavily after several episodes back to back :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah it’s an easy listen isn’t it. Spread them out as Tim will grate on you heavily after several episodes back to back :pac:

Yeah, kinda hit the wall after 3 today. WFH tomorrow so will hopefully get another couple in. Easier without the earphones I need to wear in work.

Ha, had the same. I have selectively downloaded episodes. Really got me in the spirit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Into August and Covid is still with us, also the weather has been dire.
    But one good thing about getting into August and it's the same every year is that the posts start to ramp up on the Christmas threads! :)

But one good thing about getting into August and it's the same every year is that the posts start to ramp up on the Christmas threads! :)

Take a look at the stats thread, we're up on last year by over 300 posts already.

Let's keep it going elves. Tis nearly Autumn now.

Let's keep it going elves. Tis nearly Autumn now.

Summer till the end of the month :p

......runs away and hides :D

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Summer till the end of the month :p

......runs away and hides :D

ooooh, on shaky ground there ;)

Let's keep it going elves. Tis Autumn now.

FYP :D

So guys last night I decided to send an email to Brown Thomas just to see what they’d say. I was thinking of ye.

Hello,
    I know it's early August and there are lots of things going on in the World.
    However normally ye open ye're Christmas shop on about the third Thursday in August,
    However due to Covid-19 and social distancing this may change this year.
    I know some people who are planning visits this year but things really need to be planned now. I'm just wondering, have ye any approx date for the Christmas shop opening?
    Sorry for messaging about Christmas in August.
    Regards,
    Freshpopcorn

I received a reply this morning.

Hi Freshpopcorn,

Thank you for your email.

The Christmas shop opening date has not been confirmed however we are planning on opening late September. Please keep an eye on our social media platforms for further updates.

Should you have any further queries please feel free to contact us on 0818 303062 and we will be happy to help.

Stay safe and well
    Kind Regards,
    Brown Thomas Customer Service Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So guys last night I decided to send an email to Brown Thomas just to see what they’d say. I was thinking of ye.
    Fair play for asking, FP !
    Last year, Selfridges opened theirs at the end of July, but I have not seen any news about it yet for this year.
    It will be interesting to see when the Christmas items (being food and/or decorations) will be making their ways into shops.
    Have read it might be happening at the same time as Back to School items.
    We'll see !

Fair play FP.

So they have put it back a month :(

Guess just us Christmas fanatics are bring things forward this year :)

It will be roughly 100/99 days until Christmas on the third Thursday in September so they might go with that as a date to open their Christmas shop!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Late September!?

Oh, now you've gone too far, 2020. :mad:

Yep you’re spot on traditionally August is the month this place kicks off and if the last few days are anything to go by it certainly will be the same again this year.

So guys last night I decided to send an email to Brown Thomas just to see what they’d say.

I received a reply this morning.

Hi Freshpopcorn,

Thank you for your email.

The Christmas shop opening date has not been confirmed however we are planning on opening late September. Please keep an eye on our social media platforms for further updates.

Should you have any further queries please feel free to contact us on 0818 303062 and we will be happy to help.

Stay safe and well
    Kind Regards,
    Brown Thomas Customer Service Team

Thanks Freshpopcorn really appreciate you took the time to share that with us. I really hope you signed your mail off with freshpopcorn too.
    Posy wrote: »
    Late September!?

Oh, now you've gone too far, 2020. :mad:

Yep. First the pubs now this. They can take our pubs but they’ll never take our Christmassssssss!!!!!!

• Advertisement

OMG currently watching a doc about the Ritz in London and it’s Christmas time!! They are putting up a 25 foot tree!! It’s on ITV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement