Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was having so much fun in here felt like a Wednesday :o

Happy real Wednesday to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I tell you what, its been awhile since had the lights on in the house at 10am. Was sooooooooo dark this morning!

This morning was made for WFH, sorry to anyone who had to commute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I tell you what, its been awhile since had the lights on in the house at 10am. Was sooooooooo dark this morning!

This morning was made for WFH, sorry to anyone who had to commute.

Me I had to commute today for a change! Awful morning for it. But had to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My commute is in the car nowadays, and for all the grief traffic brings it beats standing on a train platform in weather like we had this morning, truly awful.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Sorry to hear you guys had to head out and brave it.

Cleared up nicely here and got out for a walk with the missus at lunch time. Another perk of being at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Another commuter here today, was soaked by the time I got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gifts sets in Tesco Tonight!
    118807646_2729496420706295_4759631757139385151_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=T6cHaQ1hf7wAX_4Eb3G&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d666ec637184a5a9ccbbf87cee29d284&oe=5F76F345

kitten_k wrote: »
    Another commuter here today, was soaked by the time I got in.

And in typical fashion, I am WFH today and the sun is shining!

Gifts sets in Tesco Tonight!
    118807646_2729496420706295_4759631757139385151_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=T6cHaQ1hf7wAX_4Eb3G&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d666ec637184a5a9ccbbf87cee29d284&oe=5F76F345

Definitely sense things are starting earlier this year. Not surprising with the year that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

The temperature is dropping here to the high 30's, 38 today (says it feels like 40 but it doesn't), a bit down in the evenings so it is nearly okay to sit out in the evening. The humidity has dropped slightly and gets to 50-70% in the evening.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    The temperature is dropping here to the high 30's, 38 today (says it feels like 40 but it doesn't), a bit down in the evenings so it is nearly okay to sit out in the evening. The humidity has dropped slightly and gets to 50-70% in the evening.

I know you are probably use to it by now however I would find it hard to get use to having Christmas in hot weather. I spent one winter in OZ when i was young, did Christmas Day on the beach etc however was before i got really into Christmas.

Definitely sense things are starting earlier this year. Not surprising with the year that's in it.

I actually think it’s much later than last year. All of the shops had Christmas sweets on the shelves in August. It’s September now and neither my local Dunnes or Tesco have them on the shelves.

Merry Britmas tweeted there’s no Christmas stock in the shops over there and that’s unusual for this time of year.

Going by my photos from last year
    Tesco has their gift sets in on the 6th of September and biscuits on the 4th.
    Aldi had tubs in on the the of September 6th and other stuff on the 1st week in October.
    Lidl has their range in on the 17th of September.
    SuperValu was the 24th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Saw a news article that Winter Wonderland in London is cancelled this year.

Kind of knew it was coming as it’s always packed so social distancing would be challenging. But what do you reckon this will mean for Christmas markets across Europe? Will they happen this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Batgurl wrote: »
    Saw a news article that Winter Wonderland in London is cancelled this year.

Kind of knew it was coming as it’s always packed so social distancing would be challenging. But what do you reckon this will mean for Christmas markets across Europe? Will they happen this year?

looks like the galway one is going ahead, must admit i'll be gutted if they all get cancelled :(
    https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/galway-christmas-markets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Going by my photos from last year
    Tesco has their gift sets in on the 6th of September and biscuits on the 4th.
    Aldi had tubs in on the the of September 6th and other stuff on the 1st week in October.
    Lidl has their range in on the 17th of September.
    SuperValu was the 24th.

Picked up a tub each of Quality Street and Celebrations in Aldi yesterday to kick off Mam's Christmas shopping. €4.90 each.

washiskin wrote: »
    Picked up a tub each of Quality Street and Celebrations in Aldi yesterday to kick off Mam's Christmas shopping. €4.90 each.

They’ve a spot cleared in my local one for about a week now and I’m waiting for them!

Do all the tubs, packets, tubes etc look the same size or has there been more 'downsizing'? Not a massive chocolate fan so don't keep that close an eye on these things.

Do all the tubs, packets, tubes etc look the same size or has there been more 'downsizing'? Not a massive chocolate fan so don't keep that close an eye on these things.

Generally you hear about this in the media and I have heard anything yet this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was up North this week. Christmas decorations were bought in Home Bargains and confectionery in B&M. Staff saying the stuff is flying out the door, people need something to look forward to.

• Advertisement

We should start a rumor that there's a shortage of Christmas items this year and spread it on social media.
    We'd have people leaving Tesco with trolley loads of mince pies and crackers.

I must ask my OH to keep an eye out for the tubs during his next trip to the shops. I'll put them away, in my version of a Christmas cupboard :)

I'm all delighted, I've ordered some new boot type slippers for myself in a lovely festive burgandy, and also ordered slipper socks in a very halloweeny purple. I'll be ordering face masks next, and then I'm all set! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Love this Malteasers Christmas pack, £3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Caranica wrote: »
    Love this Malteasers Christmas pack, £3!

Pity we never got the party tubs over this side of the world

Id be very interested in them :D:D

I think I might need to see the doctor.
    I was in the living room and turned to look in the mirror and I said to myself. Who's after taking all the Holly and Decorations off it.

We should start a rumor that there's a shortage of Christmas items this year and spread it on social media.
    We'd have people leaving Tesco with trolley loads of mince pies and crackers.

Well we Irish do love a good bit of panic buying, booze, toilet roll etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

A neighbour was in a Guiney.s on Weds and she said they had both Halloween and Christmas stock on display. Happy Dayz....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

And I just had a quick flick on FB and Guiney.s have their window display done in Christmas in their Cork branch....they have a competition going....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

118654544_1990521177751037_7625667935699107341_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=fLcUF7lXaZIAX_Z-WRK&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=324054c7bb33e5491d626ab7de888284&oe=5F784A67

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    118654544_1990521177751037_7625667935699107341_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=fLcUF7lXaZIAX_Z-WRK&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=324054c7bb33e5491d626ab7de888284&oe=5F784A67

I love this so much and I am doing all of these tings haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement