Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It's your own choice . You can't really see them if you wear trousers to work or under a pair of boots. Might be nice for a few weeks knowing they are under there :) keeping the spirit alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    It's your own choice . You can't really see them if you wear trousers to work or under a pair of boots. Might be nice for a few weeks knowing they are under there :) keeping the spirit alive.

Couldnt really wear them to work, i wear slacks/suits so they'd stand out like a sore thumb seeing as they're bright red & green with santa's, reindeers, christmas trees & snowmen etc. on them!! Might look odd at easter :D

But I suspect at weekends they'd be grand... seems a tad silly to put socks away for 11 and a half months... Decision made!! :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I think you should wear them if they're nice and comfortable!

I take it they are the thick type? I could get away with the thin type under my work trousers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Autosport wrote: »
    I dunno know about you guys/gals I plan on posting here for the year. My New Years resolution ;)

That is a GREAT new years resolution! We have some plans this year to go more community based posting for the first half of the year at least as we do have a fantastic community of posters that post here all year round now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the socks conversation! I absolutely hate buying socks for myself. I always feel like it’s such a waste of money even though I wear them everyday! That’s why I love when I get them as a gift. I didn’t get any this year but I bought 15 pairs just before Christmas so I think I’m okay for awhile! Glad I’m not the only one who loves getting socks as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

DvB wrote: »
    Couldnt really wear them to work, i wear slacks/suits so they'd stand out like a sore thumb seeing as they're bright red & green with santa's, reindeers, christmas trees & snowmen etc. on them!! Might look odd at easter :D

But I suspect at weekends they'd be grand... seems a tad silly to put socks away for 11 and a half months... Decision made!! :D

Hmm, you might look a bit silly alright, better if you let me take them off your hands and be humiliated on your behalf.
    PM for address :D

Description sounds exactly like the type of socks I wish I received.
    My favourites (which are currently looking worse for wear) are slightly obnoxious rainbow coloured stripey socks.

I'm glad I'm not alone, will have to start actually asking people for socks next year (1st world Christmas problems).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

120ikw7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I did a big wardrobe clearout today. I was ruthless and ended up with 7 bags of clothes to send to the recycling centre/charity shop. The whole house is full of clutter so my post-Christmas project is going to be to clear it. Nice to have something to work on now that Christmas is drawing to a close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Just a heads up looks like Sky Christmas and True Christmas movie channels are finishing their Christmas schedules today, so make the most of the last few Christmas movies they’re showing today. :) If you have Christmas 24 it’s continuing until the 6th January.

• Advertisement

I survived the dreaded first day back! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yaaay! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

LaughC how are you rewarding yourself for getting through the first day back
    I’m back tomorrow only for a couple of hours though and I’m sure once I’m back it will be like I was never off

I spent today putting the decorations away, I labeled them up and stacked them up in the attic in away that will be easy for me to take them down in the end of November 😀
    While packing everything away it got me thinking to November what decorations I want to add so I’m going to make a list while I can remember
    The house looks so bare
    Presents are still in the living room and stockings are still hung, I’ll get to them over the next few days
    I still have to take down my mothers tree I’ll probably leave that till the weekend

I wasn’t in the best of form New Years and yesterday it was hard seeing the New Year in thinking of my late godmother it made me wish time would stand still it’s hard that life goes on, my mother is in very bad health and I am apprehensive of what this year will hold, we’ve a number of hospital appointments this month
    But I’m feeling better today, keeping busy, there’s always someone worse off too and no point in overthinking it gets you no where

Soaps this evening on the box maybe some Netflix and some Christmas goodies off course

I’m celebrating making it through the day by going for a walk as I celebrated too much over the holidays haha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was in a couple of days last week and back in again tomorrow, so I spent today sorting out my wrapping paper boxes, which are 2 big boxes of rolls, sheets, scraps, empty ribbon rolls, used ribbons and lots of flattened bows I will never use again.

Now I have one tidy box of wrapping paper and rolls of ribbon (about 20 :o) and one box of bows, tags and Christmas cards.

I did a big bauble and decoration clear out at the start of December, so I've put a few things away in the attic today, but have about 6 big plastic empty boxes ready to go for the weekend and will put everything away properly and tidily. I kept a couple of rolls of wrapping paper to wrap my lights around so everything is not in a colossal mess when I go to get the decorations down this summer autumn October Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Took down all the decorations bar the tree and the cards today. The kids got quite upset so the tree will be there until Saturday.
    Also, they got even more upset when the BiL and his girlfriend, who they worship, packed their suitcases and headed to the airport. They'd been home for Christmas and had been staying with us since the 22. The girls really love their uncle and aunt.
    Quite a few tears shed over the last 2 days because the other BiL headed back home to the US with his wife and kid yesterday.
    Back to work tomorrow but satisfied with how this Christmas went. Plenty of great memories to look back on, albeit interrupted with a bit of sickness.
    Think I'll also be checking out of here for a few months until later in the year. Thanks to everyone for all the really interesting and festive posts. This section of Boards is very much part of my Christmas tradition now.
    Happy New Year to all of you and see you later in the year. :)

I took all the decorations down ( old and modern) when I took the tree out of the attic. Will be selecting items for throwing out , I find myself taking the same stuff down and putting it back up every year that we haven't used in a very long time, nothing sentimental or anything but things that need to go like old wreaths, broken baubles etc. Task for tomorrow. :)

Oh lads it’s Baltic outside! The wind is so icy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always find when this time of year hits I find the shops very boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy New Year one and all! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Ours was a bit hit and miss unfortunately. Both kids had (& still have) chest infections! Was up all night on Christmas Eve with our eldest coughing so we didn't have the big excitement really on Christmas morning as she was just too tired. Then was in Doc on Call & A&E with her on St. Stephen's Night. Doc on Call for the little fella last Saturday & they are still sick! And I've gone out in sympathy too. So feels a bit like the Christmas passed us by as we didn't do anything really.

Took down one tree yesterday & started putting away some of the other decorations - will finish it on Saturday. Hopefully will have some energy by then!

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Happy New Year one and all! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Took down one tree yesterday & started putting away some of the other decorations - will finish it on Saturday. Hopefully will have some energy by then!

I think you should leave them up until Sunday and have a relaxing day either this week or Saturday by the glow of the tree. You’ve certainly earned it you’ve been through the wars this Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I always find when this time of year hits I find the shops very boring!

That's why they put the eggs out! It's either that or wall to wall fitness stuff and that is depressing.

iguana wrote: »
    That's why they put the eggs out! It's either that or wall to wall fitness stuff and that is depressing.

I was in Aldi on Sunday evening and they had baskets of fitness stuff. I haven't seen the baskets as full in weeks.

Same in home store and more. Christmas decorations replaced by plastic storage boxes and exercise equipment. We must be all overweight because of Christmas !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Same in home store and more. Christmas decorations replaced by plastic storage boxes and exercise equipment. We must be all overweight because of Christmas !

And it's usually like that by the 20th of December which is extra depressing!

If you were looking for lights Tesco might be an option.

There's not much of a reduction in cost i Tesco lights. I was surprised.

There's not much of a reduction in cost i Tesco lights. I was surprised.

They were all half price in my store until Christmas Eve but I'd say they should go on offer again!

I should hope so ! They even put the price up on the small box of Cadbury miniature heroes on nye.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    And it's usually like that by the 20th of December which is extra depressing!

This really annoys me when stores do this, I hate when they have their Christmas stock half removed days before Christmas has even begun and they're already moving on to the next item.

The older I get Christmas is purely about the time off and spending time with loved ones, the commercial element really does my head in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement