Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I am definitely putting ours up much earlier. It's too much work to be up for as little time as we had them up. Is the 25th of Nov then norm for putting them up?

Yes I think the 25th would make an excellent day to put them up. It’d be a good way to celebrate Rudolph day. And it’s a Sunday so it really is the perfect time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I am definitely putting ours up much earlier. It's too much work to be up for as little time as we had them up. Is the 25th of Nov then norm for putting them up?

I go for the last weekend of November. I usually start with the main tree on the Friday afternoon, then work on the house through the week with an aim of switching on the outdoor, porch and window lights on the first Friday of December. I didn't manage it so smoothly this year which was partially due to putting things away very badly last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Got back to work Thursday last week after a late night flight in. I was too anti Christmas that day to log on, as I'd miss it too much. Hope everyone had a good new year.

We took our stuff down yesterday. We had a big rush before we flew home so we didn't get to tick off a few Christmas movies/tv specials which is good as it will make them like new this Christmas. Flirting with the idea of a Christmas abroad this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Thinking I might start the demolotion today while I have hands to help. Lets stay positive guys...... The company here will keep us
    all bright. During the year, I often go back on various threads on the Christmas section, just to get a little Christmas buzz.
    xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Stick on the Christmas tunes while you are taking it down. Kept me going yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I have free spotify with my vodafone package. Only time I use it is for Christmas songs. Anybody else listen to them during the year....??

I've just done the great unpluggening and unplugged all my tiimers for the outdoor and window lights. My house was the last one on my street to still have Christmas lights on and now it's done too. Got to take down all my decorations today. I'd normally do it before going to a family women's Christmas dinner on the 6th. That way I have something to look forward to after the job is done and can relax more at the dinner. But we had a third birthday party in the afternoon so I have to do it all today. (Except my kitchen, the Tomte (gnome) stayed up until 2am on Friday taking away everything he left which included all the kitchen decor as he brings that when he arrives.) I have to message my brother in Sweden and tell him to keep his Tomte to hand so when we Skype, he can show S that Tomte has gone back to Sweden.

I have free spotify with my vodafone package. Only time I use it is for Christmas songs. Anybody else listen to them during the year....??

All year. Get a great kick out of Michael Buble wishing me a merry Christmas in the summer and singing Feliz Navidad on the way to work:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jude13 wrote: »
    Got back to work Thursday last week after a late night flight in. I was too anti Christmas that day to log on, as I'd miss it too much. Hope everyone had a good new year.

We took our stuff down yesterday. We had a big rush before we flew home so we didn't get to tick off a few Christmas movies/tv specials which is good as it will make them like new this Christmas. Flirting with the idea of a Christmas abroad this year.

Good to see you back on the forum, I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Bleurgh! Is there anything more depressing than doing a load of laundry that just so it can go into storage. Yes. Two loads of laundry to go into storage. :( I've just washed all my dark Christmas jumpers, pjs, t-shirts, sock, etc. And have a load of light coloured Christmas laundry waiting to go in. What's worse is, they won't fit in my hot press, so the odds are some of it will need to be washed again in November as they'll smell like old wardrobe.

Now I need to get off my computer and start in on the livingroom. I plan on having netflix keep me company, trying to decide between Crazy ExGirlfriend and Black Mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just sitting down now after taking everything apart. Christmas tree fitted back in the box relatively easy this year but whoever designed those tree boxes is certainly on my naughty list.

Good to see Jude back I was getting worried. There’s lots of threads for you to catch up on Jude I look forward to having your posts keep us company in the early mornings.

I think tonight will be a operation tea light kind of night.

I tend to keep the Christmas music going in my shuffle mix well into February. By then I usually start removing the songs until November 1st when I gradually reintroduce them.

Going for a walk on a cold day with Christmas music playing in your ears is just bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,760 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Took down outdoor lights/window stuff this morning will do the rest during the week. Sunday is a day of rest. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ugh the house is a mess and taking the decorations down hasn’t helped one bit.

Oh the dust is dreadful. The bright weather today made it worse. Don't get me started on the windows. Have to get some clothes ready for work tomorrow. I'd say everyone is cleaning like mad today.

Oh the dust is dreadful. The bright weather today made it worse. Don't get me started on the windows. Have to get some clothes ready for work tomorrow. I'd say everyone is cleaning like mad today.

Yep. All done and dusted. Pardon the pun haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Back to work tomorrow...currently taking a break from taking down the decorations. It seems like a never ending task!! The sitting room seems so empty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

4 hours to de Christmas the house and clean ;( At least we have the little ones birthday party in 5 weeks to look forward to!

As always, the place feels echoy and empty

As always, the place feels echoy and empty

The echo is driving me insane in my sitting room.

Sadly our neighbor that had the brightest display now has the darkest house. But there is one neighbour with a Santa and snowman still lighting outside and another one who proudly still have a tree in their porch way flashing lights and all. I really hope it’s one of ye here.

Was just saying the house feels massive with everything gone! It's very noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Feel bold as I haven’t taken down any decorations yet and don’t really want to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

All down and packed away.We didn't put up as much as other years this Christmas,yet the house was lovely and it definitely helped when they had to be taken down.

Just back from a walk and I noticed a lot of the neighbors still have their decorations up just switched off.

My mam used to do the same. She’d wait until we went back to school to take them all down and just switch them all off after the 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Everything down today too, was very sad turning out the lights last night. Just looking out the window and can see a tree in another apartment still lit up and sparkling, very jealous! My Christmas and New Years wasn't great so going to make a special effort to celebrate Rudolf Day every month, love the idea!

My Christmas and New Years wasn't great so going to make a special effort to celebrate Rudolf Day every month, love the idea!

Ah I’m delighted to hear you’ll be making the most of Rudolph Day. The one thing I’ve learnt over the years is Christmas isn’t just one day it so much more than that.

I wish you nothing but happiness this year and hope each 25th will be wonderful for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Thanks Loughc, just need to decide on which Christmas sock to wear now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kitten_k

This is me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,760 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kitten_k wrote: »
    This is me

You beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Drove through Meath this evening back towards Dublin and they didn't get the memo that Christmas is over! From near the Westmeath border all the way to Ashbourne there was lights on all over the place.
    The town of Athboy was still lit up with their street lights and all :)

• Advertisement

Had a very sad S going to bed tonight, telling me he wants to go back to a few weeks ago and singing "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with extreme feeling. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement