Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    Had a very sad S going to bed tonight, telling me he wants to go back to a few weeks ago and singing "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with extreme feeling. :(

Aww the poor little guy. I completely understand his pain and I completely echo his sadness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

On the plus side for S he has a bit of an adventure to look forward to at the weekend as it's it's my father in law's 80th and we'll be going out for dinner and staying in Dublin. And seeing my brother in law who lives in Canada and may just have one last Christmas present for S. So that will be really nice for him. And after that, I won't be too sorry to get back into a bit of routine. We've been pretty much non stop crazy since mid-summer, so a chilled, boring month or two might be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Good to see you back on the forum, I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Cheers Cork Lass same to you and yours. I had a lovely chilled Christmas. We planned to spend it with one of our families but I somehow got a day down in Limerick to see hers. 10-14 days is the way to do it no more 1 weeks home killing ourselves. Left the 29th just as it was getting cold and did a little (very late) honeymoon before flying back to work.

Loughc, the echo is savage in our house. Its all concrete walls so it really bounces.Had too google Rudolph day I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

All the decorations down in our house! Boo! On the plus side, the house feels massive! :D Think I need to compile a list of decorations that I want to buy for next year. Defo want to get some more outside lights - would love to get a santy sleigh and reindeer to put in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was glad we had everything done blong before the weekend. I'm still a firm believer in a swift return to normal proceedings so as to get through the post christmas blues ASAP.

Funnily enough was driving around to the train station this morning & one apartment (about 4 storeys up) still had all their balcony lights on and their tree in the window and boy did they stand out... Will be running that way later tonight so will keep an eye out for them.

As much as I like to take my decorations down early enough I still smile when I see others hanging in there into January.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The decorations are still up in the lobby in work. The lights are still lit on the tree.

Same in my workplace, Toto! Tree is up reception & canteen but not lit!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Meh. This is how I feel after a Monday in work and coming home to a bland empty sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Tree still up at work !! Was very pleasantly surprised. Bought a discounted box of decorations on the way home. I'm excited for next year now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

DvB wrote: »
    I was glad we had everything done blong before the weekend. I'm still a firm believer in a swift return to normal proceedings so as to get through the post christmas blues ASAP.

Funnily enough was driving around to the train station this morning & one apartment (about 4 storeys up) still had all their balcony lights on and their tree in the window and boy did they stand out... Will be running that way later tonight so will keep an eye out for them.

As much as I like to take my decorations down early enough I still smile when I see others hanging in there into January.

I feel that some nice things are needed in the post Christmas period. Life should be more than just about work and business and one needs to make normal proceedings to be lovely proceedings. Treat oneself every now and then and make sure you have something nice to look forward to.

I would be an advocate for some more wintertime/early springtime bank holidays. One at the end of January and one for 14th February would help and be something to look forward to. There were talks of making 24th April a bank holiday as it is the anniversary of the 1916 rising. I feel though there are way too many bank holidays coming at that time of year and not enough elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,760 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got an e-mail off Super-valu about building your club card points for Easter!

Lads is anyone else struggling more this week than last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »

Yep. Couldn’t get out of bed this morning and I’m trying to keep my eyes open on the bus. It can only get better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yep.
    The kids being back to school gives us extra work in the morning getting out & the trains are back to being rammed & not getting a seat anymore, all little things admittedly but along the grim realisation that its miserable January is making this a 'meh' week already.

At least I've a site meeting this afternoon which will allow me head home early afterwards.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yes and to make matters worse, I 100% thought it was Wednesday when I woke up this morning :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yup. Yesterday was at least three days long in my mind.

I got my days wrong yesterday too, I had arranged to meet a pal at the movies so I booked us both seats for today as the OH's would be out at ladies night. I then got to work to see an email about a survey of my visit last night to the cinema. Booked The wrong night as I thought it was a different day.

Anyway disaster artist tonight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Last week was a totoal disaster for me. This week, though longer, has started out better. It felt like I was going back to work while it was still Christmas last week but now with the lights and decorations down and things back to normal, I feel like it's time to look forward. The 5 day week is going to drag though.
    I joined a gym, we're planning to renovate the bathroom and I'm on the lookout for new throws and cushions for the living room to take away from that empty where-did-the-tree-go feeling. Going to try to practice a bit of hygge too, lots of candles, warm, fluffy socks, and cosy nights in where possible :) I feel like hygge could be an extension of that Christmassy feeling we all love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I hate to gloat but I’m on a weeks leave and staying in a lovely hotel for 2 nights compliments of our eldest daughter (her first Christmas working full time as she’s finished her masters) :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah that's lovely. :)

Yes it's weird having to work five days in a row this week alright!

Posy wrote: »
    Ah that's lovely. :)

Yes it's weird having to work five days in a row this week alright!

Try having to work 6! :(

I hate January’s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've been so down since Christmas. I've been reading daily but couldn't bring myself to post.

So I'll try to bring a small bit of cheer. :)

I made Christmas dinner from frozen meat leftovers tonight. It was divine.

2navej6.jpg

Also, I'm pregnant. So next Christmas we'll have a mini Mystery Egg to enjoy Christmas with. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Also, I'm pregnant. So next Christmas we'll have a mini Mystery Egg to enjoy Christmas with.

Congratulations Mystery Egg!! That's fantastic news!! X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also, I'm pregnant. So next Christmas we'll have a mini Mystery Egg to enjoy Christmas with. :pac:

I love how you led with the food pic then finished with the baby. :pac:
    Congratulations!

That’s great news Mystery Egg!! Congrats!! :D

Also your diner looks amazing!

Try having to work 6! :(
    home%20alone%20or%20not.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Funthalia_Love

I am generally an upbeat person - live and let live and all that.

Today though - it was bleaker mcbleakerson down here in Co Galway. It's pouring rain for most of the afternoon, I joined Slimming World last week and I may as well thrown the tenner down the toilet, I forgot to turn the heat on in the house in the evening and it was freezing so I went to Tesco to buy comfort food while the house heated up.

There though, at the very back down beside the dog food, clear shelves and boxes of Easter eggs.

I know people give out about Christmas arriving earlier and earlier but Easter Eggs in the single digit days of January - Oh dear:(:(:(

I know people give out about Christmas arriving earlier and earlier but Easter Eggs in the single digit days of January - Oh dear:(:(:(

I seen pics of Easter eggs in shops on Christmas Eve it’s sickening it’s so early in the shops.

Easter is coming, yaaaay!! :D

I mean... boo down with that sort of thing. >_>

2643uja.jpg

This is pretty accurate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Been asleep since I got in this evening. Walked around work today like a zombie ! I think my body reacted to having so many tasks to do at once again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement