Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'd say any of the charity shops would be delighted to have them Miamee - I am sure they would all sell quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just copped that I still have a christmas card I received the week before christmas hanging up at my desk... and there was me thinking I'd done a thorough clear out of christmas memorabilia... on top of that I've just realised i've had a letter from my (at the time) 4 year old daughter that she wrote to santa on my desk for the last 2 years... and also 3 of the the SVP 'giving tree' stars that our workplace supports every christmas... so all along I've kept memories of christmas in full sight & never copped it.

No reason to remove any of them so I think I'll leave them as they are!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'd say charity shops would be delighted with them.  Or maybe your local school parents assocation or a local community group if they organise Christmas activities...

Or you could try selling them on a local buy & sell/marketplace type page

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks for the ideas guys...I better stick a reminder in my calendar for October so I don't leave it too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My brother, who is also a Christmas nut, regularly goes to the local charity shops early in the New Year, and get a whole hoard of
    christmas decorations for next to nothing. For christmas just gone, he had some artificial trees placed outdoors, that he got in the local
    SVP for couple of euro each. Last week he got baubles used once this year, by somebody who does a different colour each year.
    So as they say, someones rubbish is somebodys treasure.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Oh my goodness. At least they go to charity. I'm contemplating going with coloured lights for 2018, will probably mean my varying shades of dark pink baubles won't go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. At least they go to charity. I'm contemplating going with coloured lights for 2018, will probably mean my varying shades of dark pink bulbs won't go?

My parents have a friend who if she has an electrical items break down during the year, she saves it to January to take to the large recycling centre/dump. She pays €5 to drive in and comes out with 100s of euros worth of decorations as loads of people just buy new each year and dump them straight away afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Oh I'd love to see that. Going to see if there's anything that needs recycling at home :) so I have an excuse for a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Did our big food shop yesterday and we split up picking stuff us, I spotted Hero's and Quality street (in metal boxes with loads of the rarer sweats) and threw one of each in the trolley, I hid them under stuff but my OH fond them and took them out. In protest I skulled a chocolate milk. Yup Im an adult.

Off the the airport today as I have a meeting away tomorrow, will see if Dubai airport still has their decs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I took down the Christmas snow globes today so only half the decorations are still up, will take them down when I’m feeling better. Elf is staying on the shelf though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Happy Blue Monday! As I left the house a song came on that was just perfect for strutting so that was a great way to start the day! Going to treat myself to a hot chocolate. Hope everyone has a great day.

Was over visiting the in-laws yesterday in Baldoyle & one house on Grange Road still had their lights blinking away merrily at 6pm as we were on our way home. Their garden trees were still lit up with coloured lights also. I suspect that may be the last I'll see until November now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Blue Monday! As I left the house a song came on that was just perfect for strutting so that was a great way to start the day! Going to treat myself to a hot chocolate. Hope everyone has a great day.

Ah Blue Monday. Although for me the first
    Monday back to work after Christmas is blue Monday for me.

The Samaritans call Blue Monday, “Cuppa Monday”. Where they actively encourage people to have a catch up over a cuppa and talk if anything is getting them down. I think that’s a movement we can all get behind.

And of course we can call it Boards Monday so if there’s anything getting you down feel free to post here and rant and rave if you need to!

Oh and on a more positive note they’re giving snow for tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Not a Blue Monday here - I have a fantastic view of the Mourne Mountains out my office window! Would do your heart good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Hello from Paris! Not blue Monday for me either! Off work!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lads ye need to be sharing pics of yer respective views!

Loughc wrote: »
    Lads ye need to be sharing pics of yer respective views!

I'm going for a run at lunchtime, will try to take one then!

Ah Blue Monday. Although for me the first
    Monday back to work after Christmas is blue Monday for me.

The Samaritans call Blue Monday, “Cuppa Monday”. Where they actively encourage people to have a catch up over a cuppa and talk if anything is getting them down. I think that’s a movement we can all get behind.

And of course we can call it Boards Monday so if there’s anything getting you down feel free to post here and rant and rave if you need to!

Oh and on a more positive note they’re giving snow for tomorrow! :D

Yeah, last Monday was much worse! Getting the first full week back out of the way has made a huge difference to my mood. I'm in great form today.

Snow! Where? Please say outside my house!

I didn't get my photo, Loughc - we didn't go by the sea so all I could've taken was of a dirty track. I'll try take one tomorrow!

Oh, if it snowed, I mean really snowed, I wouldn't be able to leave my house, it'd be fantastic!

Getting stuck back into training & getting a few nights out organised has lifted my mood hugely. I still find myself hankering back to Christmas (I do this every year) but its dwindled to a bare trickle now. Getting the kids back to school & their GAA & swimming training last week was a huge jump back to normality...

• Advertisement

Heatons are having a flash sale of Christmas items. 70% off until midnight tonight with the FLASH70 code. I just had a bit of a splurge!

https://www.heatonsstores.com/the-spirit-of-christmas

iguana wrote: »
    Heatons are having a flash sale of Christmas items. 70% off until midnight tonight with the FLASH70 code. I just had a bit of a splurge!

https://www.heatonsstores.com/the-spirit-of-christmas

Incredible bargain! I couldn’t bring myself to spend more on delivery than the items though.

Incredible bargain! I couldn’t bring myself to spend more on delivery than the items though.

Their delivery is insanely hard to figure out. I was being charged €10, I added a few more items and the charge went up to €20. I tried to find out whether it was size/price/number of items that increased the price but their website doesn't tell you. I was about to abandon the purchase in frustration but I removed one set of lights as an experiment and the delivery charge dropped back to €10, so I bought it. It was nearly €100 worth of stuff at the already discounted price for just over €30 including the delivery, so it wasn't bad.

Though it would have been better if they still offered free in store collection.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,762 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just finished taking down the ceiling decoration.took nearly an hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

2lc206.jpg

My view yesterday morning in Kuwait

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

We only just took down our tree on Sunday night. My week off for cleaning/decluttering turned into a week looking after a sick three year old with a tummy bug, that combined with preggo exhaustion and generally feeling like sh1te meant that nothing was done. On the plus side I did order my lifelong dream of a pre-lit tree in the Heatons sale, reduced down from €96 to €22!

We have SNOW!!!!!! :D:D:D Bucketing down here in Greenore!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    We have SNOW!!!!!! :D:D:D Bucketing down here in Greenore!

Feck all here in Dublin as per usual :(

Feck all here in Dublin as per usual :(

And now it’s snowing! Yay! But won’t be enough to land.

• Advertisement

Got battered with hail when out on site this morning in Malahide... most unpleasant as it was windy & sharp on the face because of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement