Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Don't think the alcohol bill has been passed yet...but afaik it's still on the cards

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Don't think the alcohol bill has been passed yet...but afaik it's still on the cards

Yea it is, it's a case of when not if unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Next weekend it's the first weekend in March, the following is Mothers days following that it's St Patrick's day following that the clocks go forward and following that it's Easter weekend!
    It's sort of something to look forward to every weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Severe weather event forecast for next week :eek: I know most people in here will love the snow but I'm dreading it. I either have to drive to work at the top of a treacherous hill or walk to the train and risk slipping on the ice at nearly 7 months pregnant. Pah :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Severe weather event forecast for next week :eek: I know most people in here will love the snow but I'm dreading it. I either have to drive to work at the top of a treacherous hill or walk to the train and risk slipping on the ice at nearly 7 months pregnant. Pah :(

Same! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Tempted to extend my cert tbh. Will have to stay home anyway if they close schools/creche :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m hoping to be released from hospital onTuesday. Then I will have to travel from Waterford back to Cork - hubby will be driving as I’ll be on crutches. Hope the heavy snow holds off til Tuesday adternoon :eek:

I got the impression the snow was mainly going to hit Dublin/East coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Over in the Weather Forum, there is a thread about getting prepared for next week .

One poster had a great list of things and at the bottom of the list they suggested putting the Christmas Tree back up :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I reckon it won’t be as bad as they’re making it out to be! We can Keep calm and put the tree back up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Watched The Family Stone tonight and opened the tin of Quality Street that's been hanging around since December. Feeling very festive now, albeit dying with a head cold. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »
    I reckon it won’t be as bad as they’re making it out to be! We can Keep calm and put the tree back up.

I really hope so! I'm super nervous of it now after the crash! If I see the slightest skift of snow, I'll be battening down the hatches! My hubby is away for work this week, so I won't be taking any chances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Take of yourselves this week everyone. If the roads are as bad 2010/11 I will be staying in doors this time round. Saw that post about putting up the Christmas tree, yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Got to say I've no issues with that advert being banned it was a clear contravention of all guidelines about promotion of alcohol. Kevin is now a children's character, which Aldi have built on by selling toys and children's books of him, Katie and the kids. And you can't use a children's character to promote alcohol. Advertising has a powerful effect on children as they don't understand it even a little bit. And while this advert wasn't exactly the Paw Patrol swigging back WKD it was a children's character promoting alcohol and it can have an extremely negative effect in some families. A large corporation getting to advertise in a funny way doesn't trump that. Kevin himself isn't banned. He'll still be around at Christmas with his ever expanding carrot family promoting everything except for alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

iguana wrote: »
    Got to say I've no issues with that advert being banned it was a clear contravention of all guidelines about promotion of alcohol. Kevin is now a children's character, which Aldi have built on by selling toys and children's books of him, Katie and the kids. And you can't use a children's character to promote alcohol. Advertising has a powerful effect on children as they don't understand it even a little bit. And while this advert wasn't exactly the Paw Patrol swigging back WKD it was a children's character promoting alcohol and it can have an extremely negative effect in some families. A large corporation getting to advertise in a funny way doesn't trump that. Kevin himself isn't banned. He'll still be around at Christmas with his ever expanding carrot family promoting everything except for alcohol.

Having finally seen the advert (didnt see it over the christmas funnily enough) its hard to disagree with that, it was a clear violation & using the 9pm watershed as a defence didnt really wash as we all know children can stay up watching TV later than that.

Good to see Kevin & Co. will still be there though in 2018 as they've become a genuinely sweet addition to the crimbo adverts selection!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S was looking forward to spring (and Easter) and was not to impressed with the return of the cold weather. When watching a weather report the weatherman mentioned a polar wind bringing the cold and he looked at me really sadly and asked why Santa would want to ruin Easter. Nothing for it but to watch Rise of the Guardians. :D

Tesco is a little like Christmas Eve!

Tesco is a little like Christmas Eve!

Well it is a white Christmas out there at the moment. The snow is lovely out there but everyone please be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It's mad how all the bread was gone today. Still need bread for sandwiches for work tomorrow. I'm off tomorrow but working from home. Wish it was Thursday instead though. Christmas movie tomorrow night once i'm up to date with everything. :)

I’m still in Hospital which is in Waterford. There’s lots of snow on the ground here. I’ll take some photos later when it’s a bit brighter :D

• Advertisement

Waterford this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We have several inches here in Louth - but not great snowman building snow - it's too powdery :(

My current view.

23m65pv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Waking up to a winter wonderland was definitely the highlight of my year so far!

Looks like its gonna be my very first christmas music session of the year :D

For the day thats in it... Snow is falling... all around me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Raining here all morning in the UAE, wish I was at home for Chris...snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Having to work from home today, was meant to be out at 2 site meetings but both thankfully were cancelled early & driving is a complete no no... can see myself turning off the pc early & sticking on a christmas film later this afternoon though... be rude not to really;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I’m dividing my time between working at home and getting up to check it it’s still snowing every 5 minutes.

Great way to kick off March.

ng3t61.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy Snow Day. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement