Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

^^^^^

Don't jinx it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    ^^^^^

Don't jinx it!

I’m staring out the window expecting snow storms now haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I will personally hunt you down and kill you if I see any snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Booked flights home today for the bank holiday weekend, the airport always feels christmassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One big difference between the lead up to Christmas for me as a guy is shopping. In the lead up to Christmas I can spend ages in a shopping center/retail park even buying clothes but the rest of the year I can barely spend a few minutes in them. I've nothing to look at. I might get a while longer out of B&Q/Woodies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One big difference between the lead up to Christmas for me as a guy is shopping. In the lead up to Christmas I can spend ages in a shopping center/retail park even buying clothes but the rest of the year I can barely spend a few minutes in them. I've nothing to look at. I might get a while longer out of B&Q/Woodies!

Think thats more of an age thing. I used to love clothes shopping. Now I associate it with getting stuff for the kids & suchlike with me left ordering stuff I need online... no fun in that!:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

^^^^^ this!

I was off on Monday for my birthday & thought I'd treat myself to a shopping trip. Walked around the shopping centre for an hour before I said "why am I wasting my day here". Didn't see anything for me at all, then realised I was just looking at the kids clothes so I left!

If Freshpopcorn wants to enjoy shopping outside of the Christmas season he might need to become a Daddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The warmest, sunniest day of the year so far and I spent an hour of it this afternoon visiting a hotel to book their function room for our staff Christmas party! Took the room and they are going to email over menu options tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Visiting family today. Toddler kept doing his party piece - jingle bells. Bit funny out in a T shirt and him tunelessly belting out a Christmas song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Whispered wrote: »
    Visiting family today. Toddler kept doing his party piece - jingle bells. Bit funny out in a T shirt and him tunelessly belting out a Christmas song

Kids are so funny! My little girl likes to belt out "Must be Santa" on the way to creche while I harmonise with "Let it Go" from Frozen - two songs that don't go together & are an assault on the senses :P:P:P

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Kids are so funny! My little girl likes to belt out "Must be Santa" on the way to creche while I harmonise with "Let it Go" from Frozen - two songs that don't go together & are an assault on the senses :P:P:P

My little man when playing his nintendo is regularly singing 'its the most wonderful time of the year'... I always remind him thats a christmas song & he always replies with 'but I like it'... cant argue with that:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was sitting out the back yesterday having a sundowners with the wife and she was admiring the outside string lights we have and should be get another set. They look so christmassy. I take that as we should defo get another set so ordered some today. Extra christmasy garden in a few weeks

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Commercial-Backyard-Pergola-Umbrella/dp/B00V2UKF98

These bad boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Santa's on his way! After months of research on how to make a computer, what components I'd need, what OS to use, where to order from, etc. And most importantly how easy it would be for a child who'll be just 6 at Christmas to build himself (because otherwise what is the point!). I mainly felt like the more I learned, the less certain I was, especially in terms of S getting to feel like it was his own build rather than me having to do it myself while he gets frustrated.

But then I looked on ebay and saw that people were selling their very expensive kids computer building kits for a fraction of their extremely expensive new price. So I put a bid on the kind with more up to date hardware and I won! Woo! This way he should definitely get the experience of building it himself, reviews say that kids his age can genuinely figure it all out by themselves. And while I know it's not really building a computer, it will still make him feel really proud and if in a few years he wants to build something for real at least I know where to start looking. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's so cool! I'm excited already. :D

This day next week it will be the 1st of May!

I will start to ramp up the posting as the summer comes along. I am already feeling christmasy.

I've only in the last week stopped looking back at Christmas just gone & through old Christmas threads so will make an effort to enjoy the here & now for a bit. I honestly reckon thats the longest I've gone into a new year reminiscing over christmas... I suspect being more involved with this forum has played a part :D

History has taught me that its usually late september before my thoughts turn back to christmas & the excitement starts to appear, but suspect the buzz in here will reignite it earlier this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Spotted a poster in another forum bemoaning the fact that they still have their Christmas tree up cos they haven't enough storage space to put it away :D

Jude13 wrote: »
    I will start to ramp up the posting as the summer comes along. I am already feeling christmasy.
    Summer was last Saturday. So go nuts!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I don’t know what’s come over me but I’ve the urge to wrap things. Jes*s, it’s not even May. I must be losing it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Its the 25th!!!......of April unfortunately :) Can't believe we are a third of the way there already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Had ham, veg, and the all important roast potatoes for dinner . Happy Rudolf day !

Happy May Everybody!
    255124-Good-Morning-Happy-May.jpg

Yay for May! :)

Really excited that its May, whoop whoop. I am home in Ireland for 3-4 days this weekend too. So I will be living on bags of chips, drooool

June and July are the only Christmas free months left now and if you include getting the Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue you only have one total Christmas free month!

June and July are the only Christmas free months left now and if you include getting the Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue you only have one total Christmas free month!

What happens in August, September & October?

DvB wrote: »
    What happens in August, September & October?

August:Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens!
    September X-factor and Strictly back(great way to countdown to Christmas) Selection boxes and tubs of sweets in the shops.
    October: Decorations begin to appear in shops and more Christmas stock starts appearing!

• Advertisement

August:Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens!
    September X-factor and Strictly back(great way to countdown to Christmas) Selection boxes and tubs of sweets in the shops.
    October: Decorations begin to appear in shops and more Christmas stock starts appearing!

Agree re: strictly. Our whole family watch that & its a great way to count down the weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement