Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Happy Rudolph day folks - anyone doing anything to mark it?  Friday night - maybe a Christmas movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In the spirit of the day , my lonesome little Rudolph sock came out , with a mis-matched blue sock :o

(Yes, it was a bad idea in this heat!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In the spirit of the day , my lonesome little Rudolph sock came out , with a mis-matched blue sock :o

(Yes, it was a bad idea in this heat!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I cleaned the gutters recently and I said to myself next time I'll be doing this will probably be to put up the icicles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hello hello! Haven't been here in ages, trying to finish 1st year of college before I can even think about Christmas, but I have to say I'm starting to think about how to organise it this year.

I really don't like that I have to spend it every year with my wifes family, and there's actually rumblings this year of going to a hotel :eek:. I mean it'd mean I don't have to cook for 9-10 very picky eaters and try fit everyone in our tiny kitchen to eat, but still... Christmas dinner in a hotel seems so weird to me...

Hoping to get away for New Years just the 2 of us though, so trying to find somewhere remote and cosy to hole up for a few days, ideally not a hotel... hot tub would be nice though. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

An Post is getting ready for Christmas and they're looking for your help :)

The national post service has launched an official poll asking the public to decide which seasonal moments they would most like to see on the 2018 Christmas Stamps.

Based on consumer research, An Post created a shortlist for you to vote on, which is as follows:

Watching the Late Late Toy Show in your PJs
    Eating selection boxes in front of the fire
    Attending midnight Mass on Christmas Eve
    Picking up loved ones from the airport arrivals hall
    Proudly watching your children’s school Nativity play
    Visiting the local live crib
    Watching the Mrs Brown’s Boys special
    Attending the switching on of the local Christmas lights
    Preparing the family recipe for Christmas cake and pudding
    Getting ready for the arrival of Santa on Christmas Eve

/www.joe.ie/news/post-christmas-stamps-poll-627702?utm_content=bufferfecba&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The national post service has launched an official poll asking the public to decide which seasonal moments they would most like to see on the 2018 Christmas Stamps.

Based on consumer research, An Post created a shortlist for you to vote on, which is as follows:

/www.joe.ie/news/post-christmas-stamps-poll-627702?utm_content=bufferfecba&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Done!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

They left out having a family argument!

They left out having a family argument!

They left out a LOT of things and put a lot of old rubbish in.

Mrs. Browns Boys? Jesus no thanks.

And where's the roadtrip to look at tacky houses with the lights on?
    Putting up the tree? (I mean come on that's beyond obvious!)
    Listening to carollers in your local town?
    Wrapping presents?
    Defrosting the turkey in the sink? :p

They left out a LOT of things and put a lot of old rubbish in.

Mrs. Browns Boys? Jesus no thanks.

And where's the roadtrip to look at tacky houses with the lights on?
    Putting up the tree? (I mean come on that's beyond obvious!)
    Listening to carollers in your local town?
    Wrapping presents?
    Defrosting the turkey in the sink? :p

Children opening presents on christmas morning.... c'mon!!
    Agree re: Mrs Browns Boys.... WTF is christmassy about that car crash of a TV show?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What I'd like to see the most is the price of the stamp remain the same. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Baby and crumble welcome back. The two hotels with hot tubs outside Ive stayed in are the Meyrick in Galway and Wine Port Lodge, near Athlone. Give them a look.

We're looking to get away after Christmas for the new year too, we did it for the first time last year and are thinking of heading back to the same place this year.

Booking Christmas flights soon, well we book a return from Dublin as we have a leg too Dublin this summer already booked. It saves a few quid. Haven't' flown nearly as much with work this year so lose my gold status which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I read somewhere that in

Making a list
    Checking it twice
    Going to find out who's naughty or nice..

Santa may be in breach of GDPR.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Jude13 wrote: »

Booking Christmas flights soon

I vaguely remember you posting about that being the start of your christmas countdown... hard to believe its come around again so soon.

Update to the hotels possiblity- I've had a quick look at the prices of places that were open last year for Christmas dinner... we're looking at €90 a pop. There's at least 9 of us.

JOG ON. :pac::pac:

SO back to the drawing board I suppose.

And thanks for the hotel recs Jude. Was much more hoping to find a self-catering place rather than a hotel, bit cosier for New Years as we're not big drinkers or ones to sit listening to the 'entertainment' laid on by hotels for New Years. I did see in place in West Cork that has cabins with hot tubs but it's a bit of a trek in possbile bad weather that time of year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ow west Cork would be lovely, great idea for you guys. We were in a hotel which had a NYE party, it was actually quite good. We still retired early and had a glass on the beach to ring in the new year. Beats the year before when we 'celebrated' midnight in a security Q at an airport.

Yeah its kind of the start of Christmas. Need to book a flight out of Dublin mid August with a guessed return date in December to be home for Chrimbo.

Strictly have announced their line up of pro dancers on fb......that means we're on the countdown to strictly....which takes us to Christmas.....

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Strictly have announced their line up of pro dancers on fb......that means we're on the countdown to strictly....which takes us to Christmas.....

As a family we love strictly (Must admit its a guilty pleasure of mine), unless we have something on of a Saturday night all 4 of us will be sat down watching, the kids love it & its become a real countdown to Christmas in itself... looking forward to it starting back, its mid/late September its back IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

DvB wrote: »
    I vaguely remember you posting about that being the start of your christmas countdown... hard to believe its come around again so soon.

What I thought as well!! :D

baby and crumbles, what about this one? I always think it look fabulous and few of my friends went although they didn't stay in treehouse which looks like the best! http://www.cottagesforcouples.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

baby and crumbles, what about this one? I always think it look fabulous and few of my friends went although they didn't stay in treehouse which looks like the best! http://www.cottagesforcouples.ie/

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing!!!!!! I want to book it now!

• Advertisement

What I thought as well!! :D

OMG that's the place I'd found!!!! It looks so amazing, doesn't it???

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Go on book it!! :D It really do look amazing! It gets booked out in advance! I have been wanting to go few years but it ain't exactly a last minute trip from Donegal ;) might book it for after baby comes now though......

it's the 4 hour drive from dublin that's making me hesitate, really... it looks so amazing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I’ve wanted to go there for years too. It would be amazing in this weather and cosy in winter.

dvb - yes, strictly normally starts back mid-end September
    Those cottages look amazing - I would just need to find myself someone to go on romantic break with:D:D

Just updating my diary in work & copped tomorrow is June 1st, into the middle 2 months already!
    I know January dragged the guts out of itself but its scary how fast the rest of the year has gone. I suspect for me its being so busy with work but even allowing for that it seems to be disappearing in the blink of an eye!

The crimbo build up isnt 'that' far away at all... is it a work thing? an age thing? or a having kids thing? or what? either way the years definitely seem to be getting shorter & shorter as I get older.

happy_june_by_woods_ninja-d52ecer.jpg

There’s actually a pretty logical explanation why years go faster as we get older. When you’re 10, say, a year is 10% of the time you’ve been alive. When you’re 30, it’s only around 3%. So by perspective they happen quicker, as each one takes up less of a portion of your life.

Likewise Christmases and birthdays seem way more special when you’re a kid because they’re rarer. You might only have had 6 of them so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There’s actually a pretty logical explanation why years go faster as we get older. When you’re 10, say, a year is 10% of the time you’ve been alive. When you’re 30, it’s only around 3%. So by perspective they happen quicker, as each one takes up less of a portion of your life.

Likewise Christmases and birthdays seem way more special when you’re a kid because they’re rarer. You might only have had 6 of them so far.

Well... this makes me feel old.. and scared :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Well... this makes me feel old.. and scared :(

Not old. Experienced. Time does seem to be flying by but what I love about getting older is how comfortable I am in my own skin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement