Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

but what I love about getting older is how comfortable I am in my own skin.

This is what my wife always says as well, it's very true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

what I love about getting older is how comfortable I am in my own skin.

Love this. and its definitely true.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    This is what my wife always says as well, it's very true!
    Aaaaaw. Look at you, all married. <3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Aaaaaw. Look at you, all married. <3

:o

All grown up now haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

It looks like we may be spending Christmas here this year. It will be only the second time I have done it and the first time since meeting my OH.

Mixed emotions, I always complain about the amount of driving I have to do when home and how rushed it all is but I do like the blast of cold air and meeting pals and family.

The only other time I had it abroad I was in my early 20's so we just had a massive BBQ at my place, tv with fire wall paper, AC down to 18 degrees and Christmas jumpers on.

It will be a weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ah sorry to hear that Jude. How come you can't come home?

Your coming home is part of all our Christmas rituals I think! :D

You'll be able to make the very best of it there hopefully. Maybe we can post you some Irish stuff!

Ah no. Cant imagine christmas anywhere other than home here in Dublin.

From a purely selfish POV I always enjoyed the countodwn to christmas here in this forum (even before I became a regular) with your input re:booking flights & music on arrival etc. It wont be the same without it.

Is it 100% or just a chance?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 190's!

Woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Ah sorry to hear that Jude. How come you can't come home?

Your coming home is part of all our Christmas rituals I think! :D

You'll be able to make the very best of it there hopefully. Maybe we can post you some Irish stuff!

I gotta second this! :D

I'm half thinking I will start making mincemeat next month- didn't make them until October or November last year but I'm not sure how it would be with a wee baby this time around! And I'm determined to keep the tradition of making mince pies so I thought making mincemeat this early might help :P

Speaking of traditions and a new baby, I'm not sure how it will work this year as I feel I'm selfish wanting hubby to 'break' the tradition of going to pub with his father on Christmas Eve because it ain't the night to head off to pub when you have a family even though the baby wouldn't understand lol. It is just that I grew up with grandparents coming to our house on Christmas Eve for few drinks (Grandad was like Santa bringing all presents in his van too) so I always thought it was a bit bizzare going to pub on Christmas Eve and I didn't really enjoy it last year.

Since we got married 3 years ago, we started staying together for Christmas day going to his parents for dinner first, usually around 11am and eat at 1pm. Then off to mine around 5pm for dinner at 7pm. But last year was quite stressful with some rushing as my father decided to bring the dinner earlier to like 3pm because my siblings were half cut! :P So I don't like the idea of doing that again this year but I don't know how else we will do it :( I'd be tempted to tell my lot to come down to ours AND bring food with them lol! We could visit his family first (they're only few mins drive down the road whilst mine is like 25mins up the road).

Sorry for the long post, just would really like to change & improve things but keeping traditions too :(

• Advertisement

Not 100% yet, should know by September, I'd say it's 80% for sure. To be honest at this stage I just hope I am in the same country and my OH and not working Christmas day.

I'm a bit embarrassed firstly that I seems to give so much away on here, guess its because Im a christmas nut and my OH isn't and secondly that you guys remember it, awww! I think I am the outsider looking in, maybe I'm part of the Christmas Crew (TM pending)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Hopefully it will not happen but as you said as long as you both are together and not working Christmas day.

Lol I wouldn't think you overshare or anything like that on here but for me you're one of main eleves on here & your tradition of flying home is just nice to read about as it builds up excitement. Besides it is awesome to see a 'desert person' still mad in Christmas and everything Irish about it.

Fingers crossed. But if it's here I will keep you all posted on how to kit out a house for Christmas in 30 degrees and how to source King crisps and Ham in the desert.

Going all in and making myself get excited about a Christmas in the sand.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I'm a bit embarrassed firstly that I seems to give so much away on here, guess its because Im a christmas nut and my OH isn't and secondly that you guys remember it, awww! I think I am the outsider looking in, maybe I'm part of the Christmas Crew (TM pending)

Ah Jude don't be embarrassed! Sure it's all anonymous here. And you're definitely an important part of the Christmas Crew!

I think I am the outsider looking in, maybe I'm part of the Christmas Crew (TM pending)
    There are no outsiders here!

But if there were, hypothetically, you're definitely not one of them! :pac:

Ah Jude don't be embarrassed! Sure it's all anonymous here. And you're definitely an important part of the Christmas Crew!

ha cheers/ Little bit wary of giving too much away on the net.

Went to the the spanking new local butchers in the cool little shops that have opened next to us. They say they do cooked organic turkeys, now I usually love BBQing a turkey but it is tempting. No prices yet. But if I am working right up or Christmas day I may just buy one.

ha cheers/ Little bit wary of giving too much away on the net.

Not a chance. I'd say you have it spot on in terms of engagement, we all share your christmas excitement (how could we not, its infectious :D)but to be fair other than that you could be anybody... as could any of us really.

I think for this forum its definitely just the christmas nuts that really pay attention anyway, i doubt theres many non regulars who pop in that often so i'd not worry about stuff like that, just keep being yourself.

On the subject of the nuts(regulars)... does anyone else if browsing other sections of boards note when other crimbo regulars post? I find they stand out now for some reason:D
    I genuinely see this section as my 'home' on Boards nowadays.

Defo the same, I skim through threads but if I see an Elf has posted I actually read their comment.

Upside is I dont have to spend the guts of two grand on flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Jude - sorry to hear that you won't make it home but I am sure you will still make it a good Christmas. I hope you still find time to read the Christmas Eve traditions thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

On the bright side Jude....you.l be keeping the elves company here right up to Christmas Day...you usually drop off the thread when
    you arrive home.......

Anybody else filling their Christmas Piggy Bank....Lifted mine earlier today...shes getting nice and heavy......any E2 I get in
    my change, or any E2 I find in husbands pockets gets put in......

• Advertisement

Jeany mackers feel like I have taken over the thread. Christmas eve traditions thread is bookmarked. I am bloody tempted to read it now but I know I will get no work done.

Piggy bank starts next month (in an account not a physical thing). We pay our rent here a year upfront so that comes out on tomorrow. The rest of the month will be living on tea and toast.

Took down our outside lights as I am afraid the heat will eat them. They are large bulbs, soft light, it two long strings in the garden. With their weight and the 40-50 degrees they may snap. I plan on buying more outdoor illuminations (Griswold) and sneaking them up when I put the original ones back up.

Another two on the checklist can be marked off as of tomorrow, the world cup starts & the state exams are underway also...
    Hard to believe we're approaching the half way stage so quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back from our summer holidays so I'm all gung ho looking forward to Christmas now! Thought of a present for someone the other day and promptly forgot it again grrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's a little like October out!

It's a little like October out!

The weather has certianly turned a bit. On the way home from work this evening absolutely felt like an autumn evening. It got me thinking about Christmas.

The sun always distracts me from thinking about cool Christmas days.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Hey everyone!!!
    I have properly got stuck into my xmas shopping. The chemist around the corner has mens sets available at the moment at half price so I have picked up 3 of those. I was also in carraig donn at the weekend and picked up two candle stick holders for 7.50 each. I have my sister sorted and a cook book for my mam. Santa has also been in touch and has picked up a frozen play tent and a parachute...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

Tis nearly in the door to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Have also booked a night away to clontarf castle with the hubby the weekend before xmas.... eck!!!

ciara007 wrote: »
    Have also booked a night away to clontarf castle with the hubby the weekend before xmas.... eck!!!

Love Clontarf castle, we had our wedding reception there, its a lovely spot for a little break. Was there once for lunch during the christmas holidays a few years back & they have it decorated perfectly.

Haven't even attempted to look at christmas shopping yet. Away on holidays in 2 weeks for a fortnight and still shopping for that atm... thought we had it covered from last year but the kids just keep growing!!! :)

• Advertisement

My baby is due in a couple of weeks and I just realised I'm going to need to get them a Christmas stocking! What a happy thought. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement