Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All the recent gloomy and wet weather has left a wonderful smell of Christmas in the air! We are getting so close! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

v7a6gp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loughc wrote: »
    All the recent gloomy and wet weather has left a wonderful smell of Christmas in the air! We are getting so close! :D

Your going to love the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Cheerlouth I'm sorry to hear of your news but keep your chin up i hope you get something sorted soon!

Dv8 happy autumn. Yup autumn is August Sept Oct here too :)

I hope your all doing well and looking forward to our forecasted weekend of thunder and lightning weather! :) bring it on !!

Lovely to see penny's window display have their A/W stock starting to make an appearance.

Argos 3 for 2 has started so I've finally made a good start at the Christmas shopping. Was delighted to hear mr glitz was told he woudlnt be going overseas this year (he had been told to be prepared to be shortlisted). He will be here for Christmas and New mini glitz arrival but off then in summer which I can live with !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's good news, Glitz!

Hope you're doing well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I suspect the post count in here will increase significantly from here on in. :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My teenage daughter, who has a summer job in an independant hardware store was today sorting the Christmas stock in the
    storage room...getting ready for the new stuff to arrive............Happy Dayz

So, has anybody any plans for After Hours Day?

I'll probably cook a nice dinner- I feel After Hours Day should be spent enjoying time with family.

So, has anybody any plans for After Hours Day?

erm, at the risk of sounding silly or out of the loop.... whats After Hours Day? Server maintenance with boards offline I assume?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    erm, at the risk of sounding silly or out of the loop.... whats After Hours Day? Server maintenance with boards offline I assume?

We are delighted to announce that Friday the 10th of August 2018 we'll be celebrating our first After Hours Day.
    Share your experiences of After Hours.
    Tell us you story about why you came here in the first place.
    Has it changed your life?
    Get other non Boards.ie users to celebrate the joys of After Hours tell them about it over lunch or an announcement in the office.
    Decorate your work place or home with balloons and bunting.
    Bake or Buy a cake and share it with others.
    Make it a day to remember.
    I know some will be disappointed with the news. I did explain it may make you happy,sad, etc. We had a lot more planned but due to certain individuals we had to move it forward because they couldn't wait.

We are delighted to announce that Friday the 10th of August 2018 we'll be celebrating our first After Hours Day.
    Share your experiences of After Hours.
    Tell us you story about why you came here in the first place.
    Has it changed your life?
    Get other non Boards.ie users to celebrate the joys of After Hours tell them about it over lunch or an announcement in the office.
    Decorate your work place or home with balloons and bunting.
    Bake or Buy a cake and share it with others.
    Make it a day to remember.
    I know some will be disappointed with the news. I did explain it may make you happy,sad, etc. We had a lot more planned but due to certain individuals we had to move it forward because they couldn't wait.

Cool.
    However, as much as I enjoy browsing through AH, I'm happiest here in the christmas forum... its my home on boards nowadays:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

A good way to celebrate AH day would be to limit/not allow the posting of racist/xenophobic bile. I will hold off on my own AH day celebrations to when that is done. For the moment, I'll stay here.

We can get back to talking about Christmas now, 'kay folks? :)

Posy wrote: »
    We can get back to talking about Christmas now, 'kay folks? :)

My local Super-Valu has Christmas stock in.
    Well last years stuff they haven't sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I got a little surprise at work today - I have been awarded a £30 Amazon voucher :-)  Well I got one last year too & I must have been about the same time of the year or maybe slightly later....last years was used to buy my Christmas Jigsaws, so I had a little browse and the 2018 Ravensburger one is already available - I just have to wait for the Waddingtons one to come on sale now.  I make up the two every year and then put them into frames and hang them up.  Think it was after Easter when they came down this year.

I had a relative who called at the start of May and on Monday. Those three months just flew by.
    Just hoping the next three will go as fast!

Well that was a scary few hours. I ended up on Twitter... that place is not that Christmassy!!

Good to have boards back!

2079n55.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Lough you move into the new house yet?

kitten_k wrote: »
    Lough you move into the new house yet?

Not yet. Be Sept/Oct time before the big move! Can’t wait! Just want to be all settled for Christmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I had an interesting discussion at work last Friday with one of my supervisors. Apparently they always have a nice big tree for Christmas which starts in the middle of November with seasonal themed visitors. I am going to enjoy this Christmas alright.

The RTE Guide with Roses of Tralee should be out Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

This so true! Anyone I know who loves Christmas is a happy, positive person and has the right outlook on life.
    Anyone who says to me that they don't like Christmas I always respond by saying can you imagine how long, cold and depressing winter would be without it.
    Christmas is the only bit of magic left once you grow up.

The first Strictly star is being announced tomorrow. Winter tv is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheerlouth, hope you get a job sorted soon, don't forget to put 'elf' under hobbies.

Got back from three weeks at home three days ago, second day in the office which is depressing. New job starts in September and with the little one arriving in January /February I will probably only take Christmas day off. But I am planning on making it a big one for my OH as we will be away from family.

Last year we went to an amazing concert/sing along in the opera house. As its the middle east and pitched as a traditional English carol service I didn't know what to expect. It was amazing, everyone singing along, loads of people dressed up, a lot of booze and carols I would never usually hear, three ships etc (lots of 'three' in this post). Anyway I walk past he opera house on the way to work each day and it reminded me that I must book it this year again and made me feel all Christmassy.

When we were home there was one really rainy day, we were in an airbnb, freezing (we've been away too long) so we put on the gas heater and found a dvd/tv player combo thing, the screen was as small as an Ipad. There were only a few dvds knocking around, one was christmas with the kranks, which I have never seen, so I lashed it on. It was pretty good. So that's the first Christmas movie knocked off the list.

I just hope that I'm not traveling too much in December.

As an aside in 10 years of traveling allot for work I have been upgraded from economy once. As we were checking in in Dublin airport on Thursday the lady noticed that we had bought a stroller and loads of baby stuff and that lead to a chat, she then checked my airline membership status, I had lost gold the week before, however she put me on the cancelation list with little hope of it happening, the plane was rammed. She called my name when boarding, it happened! I gave it to my OH, who couldn't even have any bubbly as she is pregnant so it was technically wasted but she was delighted, it felt like Christmas spirit that the lady sorted us out. I then spent 8.5 hours (delayed due to sandstorm) sitting beside some who smelt like they had been on the booze for a week and hated showers, like a planes trains and automobiles scene.

TL;DR - back from holidays depressed but feeling christmasy, like upgrade, hate smelly people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I dont know if its just me...but I can feel real energy building in this thread.......
    I was in my Mam.s nursing home on Saturday. It was lashing outside. One of the residents was a bit agitated, so they put
    on Christmas music to soothe her. Seemingly works every time for her.

I dont know if its just me...but I can feel real energy building in this thread........

Not just you. I noticed the same thing last week. It’s great, once the summer ends there’s a noticeable switch to Christmas mode for regulars and non regulars alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I love that it's getting chillier... might be able to *gasp* wear a jumper soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement