Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There are woolly hats and scarves appearing in shops. Between this, BT Christmas shop opening soon and making a dent in my Christmas shopping list, I'm starting to get excited. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,768 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The first Strictly celebrity was announced this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The first Strictly celebrity was announced this morning.

Katie Piper I believe.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Still Summer in my part of the World, but lots of fallen leaves already.
    Counting down to my late Summer holidays, and when I get back I will be in full anticipation mode.
    From my Dublin days I miss the run up to Christmas, which is exactly what this Forum has !

I saw Today Michael Healy-Rae was releasing a book and I said to myself that's one present sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

38481228_1971937903065995_2645981200463691776_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=3109a4d5e07899cace7abeeb30beaec6&oe=5C00B092

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Irish Quality Food Awards shortlist is out and there are a bunch of Christmas categories. Worth a look to see who excels at Christmas food!

http://irish.qualityfoodawards.com/iqfa/en/page/shortlist

I know some of ye said that Homebase was great for Christmas decorations.
    They've announced they are closing their stores in Limerick, Naas Road and Fonthill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Speaking of food, a couple of weeks ago I bought some sliced Spiced Beef in Lidl.
    Not sure if it's everyone's bag, but it was lovely....especially in a sandwich with some elderberry and port jelly I bought earlier in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Have Santa visit booked, afternoon tea for my sisters and afternoon tea for Christmas Eve! And I spent the weekend listening to Christmas music

Grrr.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Penneys looking for Christmas staff if anyone is looking for work.

https://www.fm104.ie/the-buzz/penneys-issue-call-for-christmas-staff/

This picture on Twitter!
    Dkp_DLWW0AUUf1g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Saw the Christmas tins of sweets, same as above in Dunnes on Tuesday......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Must be a Dunnes thing - I didn't see the tins, but they had a whole display of the new 'pouches' of QS, Celebrations etc before I even go the to fruit & veg section of my local Dunnes last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Two things on the photo of the tubs - I notice the price has gone up to €7 - can normally be picked up for about €5 - wonder how they compare size wise??
    And saddo here also noticed, Roses have gone with a proper round box - far more useful for re-using for storing sewing kits etc after the sweets are gone.  Although saying that, I refuse to buy Roses since they messed with the chocolate.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Two things on the photo of the tubs - I notice the price has gone up to €7 - can normally be picked up for about €5 - wonder how they compare size .

In previous years when sizes were being dropped it generally popped up in the news at some stage earlier in the year. I didn't come across it.
    Prices generally start off at around €7 in August and then they drop every few weeks.

I refuse to buy Roses since I emailed a complaint about how they were being ruined and got a "stiff biccies" reply.:mad:

I only buy the large tin of Quality Street now.

Just back from BTs.
    Half Oooh, that's lovely and half got it, got it, got it...... :D

AND they are stocking Noma Canterbury Belles lights \○/....not in yet but they're keeping me a set.... #yuussss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to BT Cork today. Bought 2 lovely ornaments so happy enough. Even though it’s officially open they are still kitting it out so I’ll head back in at the weekend. The countdown is on 🎅🏻 🎄 🌲

Did they have the beautiful Carousel out? It was stunning.....but the €600 was a bit beyond my budget...:rolleyes:

No, that wasn’t out yet.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    No, that wasn’t out yet.

Are you referring to the Cork Store?
    Was it well stocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Went to BT Cork today. Bought 2 lovely ornaments so happy enough.
    Any interesting tree ornaments catch your eye Cork Lass. Won’t be able to get in to BT until at least next weekend 😢

Yes, the Cork store. They were still stocking it. I’d say by the weekend it’ll be fully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

On a different note, my better half's friend has a pear tree and is looking to give us a basket full fruit from it. I recorded 'Simply Delicious Christmas' from last year and it has a pickled pear recipe in it so I just watched it now....I'm getting excited!!!

tomo75 wrote: »
    On a different note, my better half's friend has a pear tree and is looking to give us a basket full fruit from it. I recorded 'Simply Delicious Christmas' from last year and it has a pickled pear recipe in it so I just watched it now....I'm getting excited!!!

You've inspired me! :)

Mulling (geddit) this recipe over.....

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/preserves/spiced-pickled-pears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've been watching Classic Corrie recently and it's just been Christmas 1989 on the street. Tracy got some tapes that she went upstairs to listen to. Which gave Deirdre and Ken an opportunity to go back to arguing about his affair with Wendy Crozier. Unfortunately Tracy had decided to take a bath but forgot her freshly unwrapped box of bath pearls so came back into the livingroom and overheard some of the argument. So she was in no mood to later watch Ken crack nuts and recite "Christmas in the Workhouse." She instead spent part of Christmas next door with 'Aunty' Emily and Percy Sugden, giving Deirdre a chance to lay down the law to Ken. Meanwhile Rita had Christmas with Mavis and Derek while recovering from very recent trauma of watching Alan Bradley get hit by a tram. Good times!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement