Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Brown Thomas

458738.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wasn’t hugely impressed with what was available on their online shop but your photos “ Wittynameforme” have certainly tempted me to try and get in next weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,768 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's feeling very Autumny out and it's dark!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's feeling very Autumny out and it's dark!

It got so dark this evening early. Felt very autumny indeed. Except for the dead heat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Guys. I'm in the unusual position of sort of being very unsure about Christmas this year. S is about to start school at the end of the month so it will be extremely weird not having him about on all the December mornings that we usually do so much Christmassy stuff for. He's not an early bird in the slightest which has been fine for the last few years as he did a couple of sessions a week in an afternoon pre-school and some playgroup mornings, where I'd arrange our activity around what we were up to there. My regular school morning plan involves leaving him to sleep to the last minute, then letting him eat breakfast in the car (he's going to a forest school out the country, so will have plenty of time to eat on the way). It's going to make morning Christmas treasure hunts and craft sessions impossible though. Christmas holidays should start in November!!!

iguana wrote: »
    Guys. I'm in the unusual position of sort of being very unsure about Christmas this year. S is about to start school at the end of the month so it will be extremely weird not having him about on all the December mornings that we usually do so much Christmassy stuff for. He's not an early bird in the slightest which has been fine for the last few years as he did a couple of sessions a week in an afternoon pre-school and some playgroup mornings, where I'd arrange our activity around what we were up to there. My regular school morning plan involves leaving him to sleep to the last minute, then letting him eat breakfast in the car (he's going to a forest school out the country, so will have plenty of time to eat on the way). It's going to make morning Christmas treasure hunts and craft sessions impossible though. Christmas holidays should start in November!!!

Could you move his Christmas morning treats to the weekend?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm sure there will still be afternoon/after school/weekend activities to be had. :)
    Plus, I assume he will be making Christmas cards and decorations at school, so there will be Christmas school excitement as well as mammy excitement.

I saw a video on the internet of somebody being inside Penneys and I saw Christmas stock in the background.
    Then I realised it was an old video and I felt really disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I saw a video on the internet of somebody being inside Penneys and I saw Christmas stock in the background.
    Then I realised it was an old video and I felt really disappointed.

Haven't heard the Penneys Christmas song in years. It is one of my favourite memories growing up, have they stopped using it?

• Advertisement

Haven't heard the Penneys Christmas song in years. It is one of my favourite memories growing up, have they stopped using it?

Are you referring to the Penney's Christmas ad?
    That hasn't being on the Television in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Are you referring to the Penney's Christmas ad?
    That hasn't being on the Television in years.

Yes! But even the song hasn't been used on radio commercials anymore either.

No, it hasn't been on radio or TV for at least 10 or 15 years at this stage! They should really bring it back as it was so popular.

Posy wrote: »
    No, it hasn't been on radio or TV for at least 10 or 15 years at this stage! They should really bring it back as it was so popular.

Do Penneys even bother to advertise much now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Howdy fellow Christmas nuts!

I don't particularly have any occasion from which i start counting down to the big day, I just wait till I get to a point where christmas is on my mind frequently and the anticipation grows stronger.

Well having spent the past 3 days with christmas on the brain first thing when I wake up and having bought my first gift I must say this countdown is on for me! :)

This Sat the 25th Ill be having a microscopic celebration by eating fast food and watching a christmas movie, can't wait!!!

Btw big congrats to all of you future momies and daddies to be of to anyone whose pets are expecting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Random fact, my secondary school music teacher wrote that song. Apparently.

Random fact, my secondary school music teacher wrote that song. Apparently.

I assume that teacher retire years ago on all the royalties... :P :pac:

I alone sing it 100 times a year at least... think of the royalties!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »
    I assume that teacher retire years ago on all the royalties... :P :pac:

I alone sing it 100 times a year at least... think of the royalties!!

TBH I'm doubting myself now but I'm 99% sure I remember him telling us that when it was rebooted in 1996. I could be wrong and it might have been bull**** or just a really weirdly specific dream :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Just saw the first ad for the X Factor, the countdown to Christmas is on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

I had the Santa chat with my 12 year old....I knew it was inevitable but feel so sad - end of an era - no more Santa visits to our house :(

• Advertisement

Kdylass wrote: »
    I had the Santa chat with my 12 year old....I knew it was inevitable but feel so sad - end of an era - no more Santa visits to our house :(

Ah no... that is sad, it's such a magically time.

But you got 11 years out of it and no doubt have wonderful memories. This Christmas will feel a bit strange as it'll be your first one in a long time without Santa but then it'll start getting magically again when your kid realizes the best thing about Christmas is the family time and not the Santa presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

We were very lucky in that there was a big gap between my youngest sister and brother so we had Santy all over again, but when we told him the truth at 11 it was awful.

What we did was we still never found out what my folks got us every until we got up Christmas Morning and it was laid out the same as Santy. It wasn't quite the same but still great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I am dreading that happening TBH.
    Our two are 7 and are already being bombarded by their friends (most who have older siblings) telling them about santa being imaginary, to the extent we've had to deflect a couple of serious inquisitions recently:(

I suspect this may be the last year we get 'total' genuine belief as they both still got fierce excited about the visit to Causey Farm we have booked, both begging us to not to cancel when we asked them if they didnt want to go... but I can see it coming & I'm dreading it, the last few years have been so so special & whilst knowing they cant last forever we wanted to make it last as long as possible.

As already said though, when they do stop believing we'll just have find a way to make a new kind of christmas magic:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I know of a smart enough lad and the parents kept the Santa thing going in secondary school. He was kind of a nice lad and teachers, students, etc had no idea what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I’m in my 30s and my parents still haven’t had that chat with me. :pac:

I’m in my 30s and my parents still haven’t had that chat with me. :pac:

Ah man lucky you, you must still get amazing presents... :pac:

All I get now is socks... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ah man lucky you, you must still get amazing presents... :pac:

All I get now is socks... :pac:

I have to go but my own present and then they give me the money for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Could you move his Christmas morning treats to the weekend?
    Posy wrote: »
    I'm sure there will still be afternoon/after school/weekend activities to be had. :)
    Plus, I assume he will be making Christmas cards and decorations at school, so there will be Christmas school excitement as well as mammy excitement.

It's an every day of December thing. It will be grand once I figure out exactly what's going to be happening in the school through December (and in his extracurriculars that he doesn't want to drop) as I'll work that into what Tomte does. But as the school is brand new and sort of one of a kind, I have no clue yet about how Christmassy it will be. And I have no idea about how tired/overwhelmed S will be each day. It's just very daunting to have this big change to our lives that I can't plan for. I'm not even a planner in normal life, I'm a lets see what comes at us and carry on type of person. But I like to have all the organisational parts of Christmas done and dusted by mid-October so I can just focus on enjoying it all.

It will be different this year, but I'm sure it will all be just as magical because school or not, you're still his mammy and let's face it- you're pretty great. :)

• Advertisement

You might also have a break to do Christmassy things when he's at school and the chatter in school might make him really get into the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement