Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You might also have a break to do Christmassy things when he's at school and the chatter in school might make him really get into the season.

Ah well I definitely have soooo much Christmas work planned while he's in school. :D
    After I give my stupid house it's big pre-Christmas clean.:(

On a super note, I've just gotten confirmation that the amazing Santa we went to last year will be back this year.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,768 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

iguana wrote: »
    Ah well I definitely have soooo much Christmas work planned while he's in school. :D
    After I give my stupid house it's big pre-Christmas clean.:(

On a super note, I've just gotten confirmation that the amazing Santa we went to last year will be back this year.:D

You might also meet at Christmassy parents at the school gate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

348rq8h.jpg

It's very cold out this morning!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's very cold out this morning!

Definitely a nip in the air.

4 months to go folks. Sounds like nothing!

• Advertisement

Ah guys I've just gone mad and bought a Gorilla Gym! Santa has just outdone himself big time!

I was just thinking recently does anybody here do anything for Thanksgiving or experienced it over in the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Random fact, my secondary school music teacher wrote that song. Apparently.

Random fact, a pal in Uni's mum sung that song for the ad.

Back from leave/still on gardening leave. Start the new job next Sunday, wondering when will b the right time to ask about the leave situation for Christmas and praternity....

Hope everyone is feeling festive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was just thinking recently does anybody here do anything for Thanksgiving or experienced it over in the USA?

No, sorry. I always felt preping and eating two massive Turkey dinners within weeks of each other a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have a few yank friends here so tend to go to one of there thanksgivings, just like a mock chrimbo dinner but added green beans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I celebrated it once in college, because a lot of people in my year were Americans and they organised a thanksgiving party.

I wouldn't celebrate it now though. I'm not a fan of Black Friday either. Don't like all these Americanisms seeping in. :pac:

I don't think I could celebrate it for a variety of reasons. Practically, the last Thursday of November is my set up day. The house needs to be super clean as I often build the main tree that night ready to decorate it on the Friday. This year it will be an even busier day as we'll be going Christmas camping on the Friday straight from school. I'm also glad not to be American because it's the type of holiday I'd love but I'd also struggle majorly with the historical background of the holiday and how what is celebrated actually impacted the native population.

It’s so chilly today. I think it’s time to crack open a Christmas jumper soon!

I already find that Halloween gets in the way of my Christmas build up (which starts after the August bank holiday :pac: ) so Thanksgiving would majorly get in the way!

Plus, like Christmas, it's purely a one day affair. It's mad how everything is completely back to normal the following day... especially for those in retail. And for banks, offices etc, it's also business as usual on the 26th December. I worry that's what will happen in Ireland eventually.
    iguana wrote: »
    I'd also struggle majorly with the historical background of the holiday and how what is celebrated actually impacted the native population.
    Very good point, Iguana.

Yeah same for me Halloween always seems to get in the way haha I’m enjoying more and more but I still would rather side step it for a pure Christmas run in.

To be honest I wouldn't do much for Halloween. I might out up a few bits and pieces and that's it. I wouldn't be into dressing up.
    Then in November I begin tidying up before we give the place a paint.
    I could cope with doing a big dinner but I wouldn't be a big order.
    Turkey crown in the oven, boil a ham, veg and potatoes of I had to and a dessert.
    I've done similar for my mothers Birthday in mid November.

Both Dunnes and The Range have their Halloween decorations out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Ah lads Halloween is great!! We do the house up- probably more than we do for Christmas if I'm honest!!! On a festive note, currently have 4 of the main people bought for for Christmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Was just thinking reading the Christmas TV thread - I really only have Sept to get through - on hols from the 12th Oct.  When I get back from my hols on Oct 26th, I'll have the Halloween Lights up for a week - then about 3-4 weeks until I get all my decs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

And I lit my first fire last night - it was that kind of evening.  I love the bright summer evenings, but nothing like a cosy fire either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

We got a delivery in work last week, and in said delivery were two hip-height straw reindeer... starting early hahaha :P

chuckles30 wrote: »
    And I lit my first fire last night - it was that kind of evening.  I love the bright summer evenings, but nothing like a cosy fire either.

It was very cold last night and again this morning... bring on the cosy evenings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm back, Folks! New job, new lease of life in me for Christmas and all things winter :D:D:D

On the countdown to Hallowe'en at the min - but Christmas at the back of my mind as always!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm back, Folks! New job, new lease of life in me for Christmas and all things winter :D:D:D

On the countdown to Hallowe'en at the min - but Christmas at the back of my mind as always!

Enjoy and well done!

Welcome back! :)

That's fantastic news, now the pressure is off and you can enjoy the festive season, I'm so happy for you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Delighted for you CheerLouth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Congratulations CheerLouth. Well done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Thanks all x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Great news CL, delighted to hear you've bounced back so quickly!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Welcome back CheerLouth, that's great news!! :D
    Oh.
    The back of your mind. I see. That's fine. :|

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement