Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has any of you guys bought anyrhing off Wish.com?
    I was looking at a few bits. I know quality might be an issue but I'm mainly wondering about delivery.
    Thanks.

My wife used wish.com a few times. Quality can be iffy and delivery takes so long that when it does arrive you’d forget you even ordered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Has any of you guys bought anyrhing off Wish.com?
    I was looking at a few bits. I know quality might be an issue but I'm mainly wondering about delivery.
    Thanks.

had stuff come in a week, others take a month and some stuff never came at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My Teenager ordered phone bits, and they arrived in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm currently waiting on two dress up dresses & a tiara for my little girl from Wish. Hope they are good quality! They'll be from the Big Man if they are.

My sister ordered quite a few bits from it for her wedding & overall, she was quite happy. I think once you aren't in any hurry for the stuff, it's fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm currently waiting on two dress up dresses & a tiara for my little girl from Wish. Hope they are good quality! They'll be from the Big Man if they are.

My sister ordered quite a few bits from it for her wedding & overall, she was quite happy. I think once you aren't in any hurry for the stuff, it's fine.

That's the key, if you order in enough time and are not in a rush for delivery wish is grand. Quality isn't bad we bought some techy things off the site that still work today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I updated my office sign today. :D

460224.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Never understood the grā for that movie 'a Christmas story' really disliked it, I know it's harsh.

Are there any new Christmas movies out this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Never understood the grā for that movie 'a Christmas story' really disliked it, I know it's harsh.

Don't like it either. & Dare I Say it :eek: White Christmas doesnt do much for me either.

I have my old reliables list & haven't added much to it in a long time, mostly due to the newer films being less memorable IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Jude13 wrote: »

There's an animated version of The Grinch coming in November but that got the remake treatment with Jim Carey not that long ago.

There's very little traditional big studio holiday movies being made anymore as people are worried Christmas is becoming too offensive to market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,769 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks. There was just a few things I was thinking of getting and was unsure if they'd be hear by Christmas.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

There's very little traditional big studio holiday movies being made anymore as people are worried Christmas is becoming too offensive to market.

Was reading an article on a similar topic recently, discussed christmas & how its a cyclical thing & that it peaks every now & again as being this massive holiday for all & then falls back when is seen as being less 'pc' or suchlike and basically is seen as being 'in favour' or 'out of favour' from a PR and commercial perspective. Media & political spin around it is not to be underestimated.
    Said that most of the time we (the average man & woman on the street) dont even notice it but that in the years its seen as 'out of favour' we traditionally have a more low key christmas & less money is spent for example. Discussed the reasons behind it on a global level and it was fascinating to discover how something like Christmas can be seen as offensive to certain peoples and religous groups & how their influence impacts the media through political opinion & suchlike and how this trickles back down to us average joes on the street.
    Must try & dig it out.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I was in Tesco earlier and they've loads of extra home baking stuff out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

That's beautiful! Did you do that or is it in a shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Got a "save the date" email in work for the staff Christmas party, the tickets and posters for it are getting printed this week, I tell you fellow Elves the Christmas countdown clock is starting to wind up! :)

Ah the countdown has started IMO.. I used to wait until after Halloween but it really starts for us in September.
    We've already in our weekly work meetings been planning around the christmas holidays with projects on site, impact to programmes etc. so it makes you very aware as to how quickly the weeks are going by... 16 weeks today...not long at all.

DvB wrote: »
    Ah the countdown has started IMO.. I used to wait until after Halloween but it really starts for us in September.
    We've already in our weekly work meetings have been planning around the christmas holidays with projects on site, impact to programmes etc. so it makes you very aware as to how quickly the weeks are going by... 16 weeks today...not long at all.

Same for me, September is the true launch into the road to Christmas... Back to school, X-Factor and Strictly are countdowns to Christmas in themselves.

Same for me, September is the true launch into the road to Christmas... Back to school, X-Factor and Strictly are countdowns to Christmas in themselves.

Agree.
    In our house we always say Strictly is the christmas count down started in earnest as that brings you right up to about a week before christmas.

Will be starting the santa shop soon too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm already hemorrhaging money, so Christmas is definitely here alright! :pac:

Mum-of-two finished Christmas shopping for her kids in MARCH and has bought them almost 70 gifts… and reckons she’s saved over €300

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/3072323/belfast-mum-christmas-shopping-finished-since-march/

• Advertisement

Mum-of-two finished Christmas shopping for her kids in MARCH and has bought them almost 70 gifts… and reckons she’s saved over €300

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/3072323/belfast-mum-christmas-shopping-finished-since-march/

I’m sorry but 1 year olds and 2 year olds don’t need over €600 of presents for Christmas! That’s crazy spending.

I’m sorry but 1 year olds and 2 year olds don’t need over €600 of presents for Christmas! That’s crazy spending.

I didn't actually read the article fully have to be honest!

Jesus, that's mad money. Sure a one year old would be just as happy with the wrapping paper! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Quite odd to see a new John Lewis ad at this time of the year. I dont think Ive ever seen a none Christmas one for them. Even though its not Christmas related just the style of it reminds me of the Christmas ads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I’m all for spend it if you have it, but in this case I definitely agree with you....madness!

I'd be similar regarding spending €600 on a one year old but she could have stupid essentials included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    That's beautiful! Did you do that or is it in a shop?

Pinterest :)

I'd be similar regarding spending €600 on a one year old but she could have stupid essentials included.

Judging by the picture no. There’s no essentials there at all. Don’t get me wrong as kids get older €600 is a reasonable Christmas bill as electronics and bikes are expensive stuff. But a one year old and 2 year old have no concept of Christmas and presents.

I think it may be time to throw on the heating soon!! Another sign Christmas is coming.

Mine's going back on this weekend! :D

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Mine's going back on this weekend! :D

Ours is back on for an hour in the morning, we get up at 5.45am and its definitely gotten chillier in the last week or so. Haven't needed it at any other time yet though. Thankfully!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement