Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cork Lass wrote: »
    We were all organised for it. Pizza ordered and we were ensconced on the couch by 9.20 in eager anticipation of a great show. Maybe I had my Grinch had on but I thought it was truly awful. Not one of us thought it was good. Gutted 😩😩
    Have to say, I kinda agree, it was good, but not as good as other years I thought. Plus the whole unicorn thing etc. does nothing for me.

I did enjoy it though, my favourite part was when the Graham surprised his kids, I thought that was just wonderful and you cannot beat something like it. That will mean more to those kids than any present they could ever receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Looking at my list of highlights, every one of them was the kids. Not the toys or the acts or the rest of it (although that boy doing the big band number and the set/costumes were fabulous). I don't think it's about the toys so much anymore, it's the kids and the wonder on their faces and the innocence of their comments and the seriousness of their reviews (yer man with the BB8 toy from Star Wars anyone? :D)
    Gone are the days when kids watched this with one eye on a list of possible presents for Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

While I'm commenting, anyone heard of Santa Strike Force?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057814294

What is Santa Strike Force? It's basically a Boards charity fundraising drive that raises money for buying specific items for children's charities or organisations. Every year people on Boards.ie donate money to the cause and mod Devore find kids residential charities to buy life improving equipment for them at xmas! Its just that simple. No one gets paid. 100% of the cash goes into projects for kids' charities. Simples!
    What sort of things are we talking about? Anything non-medical that improves the life quality of any kids in their care. That can be as complicated as giant wooden swings and puzzles in a forest (Barretstown)...to as high tech as Playstations in an ambulance (Bumbleance)...to as rudimentary as tables and chairs and beds (Don Bosco). If you donate (and please do!) every penny you send will go into these sorts of projects. No one gets paid. There are no overheads.
    Donations in 2017
    Lakers.ie €2,300
    aoibheanns Pink Tie €2,188
    Blossom kids €2,357
    John Of Gods €2,839
    Bumbleance 2017 €3,000
    National Remedial Hospital (earmarked) €3,000
    Remainder in bank €1,540

To donate, click on this for Paypal donations or check the thread pasted above for bank account details.
    [SSF]Give[/SSF]

Coming down off my soapbox now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Santa Clause is just starting on RTÉ 1.

The Santa Clause is just starting on RTÉ 1.
    Eeee, my favourite movie of all time. I just love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One twelfth of the Advent Calendar opened and this day three weeks will be the last day of the shops being opened late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

We had a visitor in our area this evening
    Santa on a horse and cart the cart looked magical all lit up, lit up candy canes
    I didn’t manage to get a photo my phone was only on 2%
    Santa was lost and ended up on our road

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

While I'm commenting, anyone heard of Santa Strike Force?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057814294
    There's an announcement on the main page of Boards and it's the first thread in After Hours all year around.

I'd hope everyone has heard of it at this stage! :D Fantastic cause and it's the last year of it, so I hope it's a good one.

Had a couple of beers watching the toy show last night I wasn’t the better of it today I am not able anymore literally only had a few beers woke at 5 am struggled to go back asleep I was in town for 9 this morning town it was really busy picked up a few bits for my OH, watched Paddington with my mother cracked open the Christmas biscuits
    Home for strictly with a Chinese on the sofa now no drink Lol
    How will I get through December maybe beer isn’t my tipple anymore ah well have plenty of prosecco and gin in for the Christmas

Lads, anyone know what time and channel the Toy Show is repeated on today? I cannot find it anywhere, even on the RTE website there's nothing in the TV listings for it? Or am I missing it?

• Advertisement

Lads, anyone know what time and channel the Toy Show is repeated on today? I cannot find it anywhere, even on the RTE website there's nothing in the TV listings for it? Or am I missing it?

I think it was repeated yesterday.

Repeat ended up being on Yesterday!

Thanks a mill! Always thought it was repeated on the Sunday after it first aired, dunno why I thought that. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks a mill! Always thought it was repeated on the Sunday after it first aired, dunno why I thought that. :o

You’re right to think that it used to be repeat every Sunday previously.

Loughc wrote: »
    You’re right to think that it used to be repeat every Sunday previously.
    Lol thank god for that, I thought I'd lost it totally :pac: :o

Wonder why it was changed to a Sat this year. I know a few people with small kids were hoping to watch it today as the kiddies didn't see it on Fri night as it was on past their bedtime. :(

Having a cosy day at home today candles and the tree lit up since early Christmas fm on loving it
    Lamb going in the oven now apple tart with cream for dessert
    I know I should probably be doing something but ah well :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lads I'm wrecked. Got back to the house on Friday at 5, paint and dust everywhere. So bailed out to my parents for the night. Yesterday was spent cleaning, stopped at 6 for our Christmas party, and cleaning again since 9. I'm in no mood yet to put up the tree.

Stuck on home alone for the kids earlier, they thought it was deadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The Toy Show will be available on the RTE Player for the next 30 days for anyone who's missed it. :)

Tree is up and I’ve just eaten day 3 of our advent calendar.

It's quiet enough on here today how was the Christmas parties the weekend Lough ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SarahLil wrote: »
    It's quiet enough on here today how was the Christmas parties the weekend Lough ?

Yea great night dying today hence why I’ve been quiet online today. And now I’ve the fear haha.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea great night dying today hence why I’ve been quiet online today. And now I’ve the fear haha.

The fear is bad enough without it been a December fear Lol "Tis is the season"

I went shopping on Friday evening and didn't see The Toy Show. It should really be a little more Christmasey!

I really don't feel like sending Christmas cards to all and sundry this year. Is it bad form to just suddenly stop sending cards or would my more distant relatives just be relieved? Will people even notice? I don't want to offend anyone, I'm just sort of gone off the whole card thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Big chunk of Santa's work done, tree's up, external lights and inflatibles up and a good chunk of the inside decorating done, wrecked now, watching Sherlock with a pint and mince pie; happiness.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

I really don't feel like sending Christmas cards to all and sundry this year. Is it bad form to just suddenly stop sending cards or would my more distant relatives just be relieved? Will people even notice? I don't want to offend anyone, I'm just sort of gone off the whole card thing.

It depends on the people to be honest. You know your friends/family. We always send cards and we know some people only send one because they get one from us. I know there's some people and whilst they wouldn't be offended by not getting a card, they still like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Been offline since Wednesday. Had Thursday off work and the inlaws arrived. We had our fake Christmas dinner on Firday as we will not see them Christmas day. I cooked the whole thing, was in the kitchen most of the day. We then watched scrooged and also watched national lampoons over the weekend. Far too much christmas spirit was drunk.

We went to a hotel in the are that was opening their Winter Wonderland Garden along with a tree lighting ceremony. Santa's cousin , Walid Claus, was there.....Anyway it turned out to be excellent, as it was its first night all food and drink, full outside bar, was free. So the we had a blast.

10 Days till I flew home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've got nothing done this weekend. Been sick the whole time. Feel like I've gone backwards when last weekend I felt I was finally starting to get things sorted. I'll have to get back on it as soon as I'm better.

My oh had his Christmas party with work and that went well for him anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Had a lovely, quiet weekend, hence no posts! Watched the Toy Show on Friday night & actually really enjoyed it which is a major plus for me as I'm normally not fussed about it! But did think it was really good this year! Tubs was surprisingly funny!

Did the deep clean on Saturday - house was spotless! It was fantastic until my cousin arrived with her little girl & helped my little one trash the place! C'est la vie lol :P

Put up our kitchen tree yesterday & the Christmas village. Mr. CL did the outside lights in the rain :rolleyes: Then went up to the attic and brought down only one box of decorations & said "sure this is all that's up there" :eek: I was like "do you know me at all, there's at least three more bags up there!" :p We will finish them next weekend when we get the sitting room tree.

And then lastly, I heard the Barry's Tea ad on the radio this am so it's officially Christmas for me! Really needed it this am as it's highly likely I'm going to be made redundant later today so need the cheer!

Happy Monday, elves! :D:D

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that CheerLouth. That really sucks. Fingers crossed it won't happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement