Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

Loughc wrote: »

Personally for me the make at home ones I don’t like. I love the Butlers ones and Costas are good. Key I find is lots of cream and chocolate sprinkles help too.

Yeah after all the talk here, I made myself one last night from a packet. Very dissappointing. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't think this is worth a thread so I'll ask here..

Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere to get a personalised Christmas tree decoration made? I'd love to get a particular photo put onto a bauble. But I want it to look really good. I saw a couple of baubles where from a distance you'd think the photo had just been stuck on as it was so poorly placed. And I don't want one where the photo just sits inside a clear bauble. I just want it to look really good. it will have huge sentimental value to the recipient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was trying to track a delivery and the response for it being delayed is due to the festive period.

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »

Thanks! They look really nice. I really wanted a ball rather than a flat one but maybe the shape would compromise how well the pic looks so I might just go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Picked up the Boots gift guide today I love browsing through Christmassy stuff like that, I might make some purchases from Boots over the weekend, I've 2 friends birthdays next month too it totally slipped my mind I was getting ahead of myself with Christmas presents

Spent the whole morning in work talking about all things Christmas, we have a new lady in our office awhile and she is fab unfortunately she won't be staying with us for long she is a Christmas mad like us all on here we get on so well

Its Gin and Tonic day today I heard I might have one this evening sitting on the sofa while researching gifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere to get a personalised Christmas tree decoration made? I'd love to get a particular photo put onto a bauble. But I want it to look really good. I saw a couple of baubles where from a distance you'd think the photo had just been stuck on as it was so poorly placed. And I don't want one where the photo just sits inside a clear bauble. I just want it to look really good. it will have huge sentimental value to the recipient.

I get one every year off Snapfish for Mr. CL. It's not a bauble, but the quality of them is really good. We love them :D
    http://https://www.snapfish.ie/photo-gifts/ornaments#!/pdpview?sku=CommerceProduct_54798

Oh and if you wait another few weeks, Snapfish normally do a decent sale on their stuff - I think I got 2 for 1 last year on the ornaments!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are places (e.g., there's one in Eyre Square S.C. in Galway) that puts your photos onto mugs, t-shirts, and stuff like that. Maybe ask them what they can do. However, I'd say that if it's going to be put onto a bauble, the image is likely going to be somewhat distorted by the curved surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

New Home wrote: »
    Some places make it with some chocolate melted in it, but it's mostly bitter cocoa powder, sugar, milk, starch (that could be corn, potato or wheat starch), a pinch of salt and vanilla (or other flavours). It's all mixed together and steamed (if it's not made on a pot) and when the milk reaches boiling point, the starch cooks and thickens the mixture - it's basically a chocolate pudding with more milk in it.

I only ever found one place that made it like that, it was in Sligo in Quayside behind Next, but it has since closed down. :( It was yum.

Anything else is just chocolate (well, sweetened milk cocoa) milk, and a very poor substitute, if you ask me. :p

Mmmm Koko Latte... Sadly missed still.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mmmm Koko Latte... Sadly missed still.

YES!!!! :( It was a lovely spot, wasn't it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

YES!!!! :( It was a lovely spot, wasn't it? :)

It was so good! I remember when the owner closed, she said she was going to open somewhere else (the shopping centre receiver was putting all the tenants' rent up and she couldn't afford it anymore) but she's never appeared anywhere else :( With all the coffee shops Sligo has, I still wish we had that one :pac:

Agreed!

If you ever find out where she's moved to, do let me know, please (hopefully she'll reopen soon).

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I get one every year off Snapfish for Mr. CL. It's not a bauble, but the quality of them is really good. We love them :D
    http://https://www.snapfish.ie/photo-gifts/ornaments#!/pdpview?sku=CommerceProduct_54798

Thank you! Some lovely ones there! :)

There are places (e.g., there's one in Eyre Square S.C. in Galway) that puts your photos onto mugs, t-shirts, and stuff like that. Maybe ask them what they can do. However, I'd say that if it's going to be put onto a bauble, the image is likely going to be somewhat distorted by the curved surface.

Yeah I had an image in my head but I think now it's not feasible!

They may be able to make it with a cubic "bauble", though, so you never know! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They are now tipping Ireland could have snowfall before the end of October! Woah! Festivities are starting early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

M&S in Navan have their decs out! May have gone a bit ott with the sample bottle if their Frankincesne & Myrrh room spray :o
    I also bought a jar of their Plum Pudding Chutney.
    Something about the M&S red labels on their Christmas stuff makes me all tingly and squee-ey every year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm watching what is essentially a military propaganda Christmas film on Christmas 24. Take a drink every time they mention how much of a hero Cody is. :D I have a caramel hot chocolate and I'm in fresh jammies and it feels like Christmas today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just got this from my sister...comparing the sizes of quality street tins over the years!

Daylight robbery, that is! :mad:

We'll be into the last week of Summertime Tommorow!

This is on sale in the UK (So, it might come here) a TIN of roses. It's 800g and priced at £8 at the moment!
    44447708_2139037976129418_3184774660084465664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=14e63d4defd6559a3685bcd3052d41a4&oe=5C879708

Thursday week is the start of the Christmas season with November 1st.

Which should see the start of the adverts as well :D

So so so close now folks :D

Any cheesy christmas movies on Netflix I should watch? I have time to kill tonight.

286zgo2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ah Monday morning, I start my week on Sunday so there is little activity on the forum when I am struggling through my first day of the week. Now the countdown begins to 8/9am Irish time to see all the new posts, a mini mini Christmas morning feeling.

Any cheesy christmas movies on Netflix I should watch? I have time to kill tonight.

See my post over on the Christmas TV thread - but A Christmas Prince is full on Factor 50 cheese :D

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ah Monday morning, I start my week on Sunday so there is little activity on the forum when I am struggling through my first day of the week. Now the countdown begins to 8/9am Irish time to see all the new posts, a mini mini Christmas morning feeling.

Ah yes the Monday morning increase in posts is standard these days... I wonder why :pac:

A good few years ago when my wife used to work weekends I would spend Sunday as a cosy Christmas Day, I'd sit there on the laptop play some Christmas music and google Christmas events coming up, and news and facts, and of course bombard this place with posts. :pac:

I found now Sundays are used to do house work, shopping and adult stuff in general... I hate Adulting there's always something to be done around the house. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement