Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kitten_k

at-midnight-halloween-will-end-then-bam-christmas-decorations-everywhere.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Is this your first encounter with the BAH HUMBUG brigade for 2018? :)
    It’s the news that Grinches everywhere have been waiting for: overdosing on festive music is officially bad for your mental health.

Not least because of the clangy harmonies and insipid lyrics that make Christmas haters want to say “bah humbug” at every smiling passer-by in a bobble hat.

It turns out that Christmas songs actually stop us from being able to focus on anything other than mince pies and mistletoe.

According to psychologist Linda Blair, listening to “Santa Claus is coming to town” on repeat could actually have a negative effect on your brain.

:rolleyes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/christmas-music-listening-too-much-health-bad-effects-pyschology-a8040336.html

Amazingfun wrote: »

Surely listening to any song on repeat is bad for your mental health??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There’s one in Blanch too.
    BDJW wrote: »
    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Is there a Disney store in Ireland ???

There is one on Grafton Street

Oh my goodness. Goes to show how long it's been since I was shopping in either place. Have to go up now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Only 3hrs 36mins until Christmas starts.
    They were putting up the big snowflake decorations across the road from Dundrum Centre when I was passing earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

We were in Dublin for the weekend. Called into Johnstown Garden centre on the way. A huge Christmas Section.......
    Were in Dundrum. Not much inside. Bit in House of Fraser. But they were constructing the outside part...I think it is going to be
    Santa.s grotto....

Its definately building......

We were in Dublin for the weekend. Called into Johnstown Garden centre on the way. A huge Christmas Section......

I'm in my parents house and I just quoted you to my mam. I said didnt we see them preparing that. She said "no that was in the arboretum. They had a whole section partitioned off and a sign saying the elves were working on it". My dad piped in and said "that's not fair, don't the poor elves have enough work to be doing" To which mam replied "ah for god sake sure don't they get 10 months off a year, a bit of hard work won't do them any harm now".

Theres no children here. My parents are just having a genuine argument about elves employee rights. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Happy Halloween, Elves !
    Can hear the fireworks going off here, so far no-one rang the bell (highly unlikely - only apartment blocks in my street)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

otnomart wrote: »
    Happy Halloween, Elves !
    Can hear the fireworks going off here, so far no-one rang the bell (highly unlikely - only apartment blocks in my street)

I've had 142 trick or treaters....so far!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

HEADS UP: The Chart Show Hits TV channel becomes Christmas Hits tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Heheh. My little fella isn't quite 4. He adores Halloween. We're on the way home from his cousins house where he went trick or treating, I just said "Halloween is over now for this year"
    He went silent for a few seconds then launched into "we wish you a merry Christmas" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Awh Whispered that is so cute made me smile and laugh out loud
    I’ve just seen my first Christmas Ad the DFS one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2d0xn9u.jpg
    axy1ie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

CwLOZrGXEAAUBh2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just remembered it's next month!
    320044-Christmas-Is-Next-Month-Good-Morning-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

What an evening. Last year was mental in our estate, so many kids out there. We doubled up on treats but were still cleared out. I had the day off so had the ladder out putting up decs, spider webs and real candles. I also had a projector playing scary music and showing tame scary scenes on the wall beside our hall door. Went down a treat.

What p*ssed me off though, as I walked around with my daughter, was that there were far far more families trick or treating than actually providing any sweats etc. Cheeky feckers.

Anyway this morning at 6am I was trying to be quiet getting dressed and I heard my OH singing 'its Christmas!!!' in her tired and very pregnant state she also agreed to me putting up the tree in November!!

Christmas FM and the Toy Show this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Christmas hits on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Is it too soon to change my desktop wallpaper to a 'seasonal' one? I'd normally wait until about the 25th Nov.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Is it too soon to change my desktop wallpaper to a 'seasonal' one? I'd normally wait until about the 25th Nov.

Nope never too soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Right, Halloween is out of the way....let's get down to business :D:D:D

Im thinking the 23/24th for the tree and then turn on the lights either the toy show might of the 8th.

I will be the size of a house by then. My wee one got given full size haribo bags by a few houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kitten_k

DvB wrote: »

You could go for something discrete like this

Free-Christmas-Desktop-Background_lg.jpeg

Oh I love that wallpaper Kitten K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It looks like one of my favourite Christmas traditions is no more. Every year for the last 17 years, myself and my friends would go to the local pub on Christmas Eve night for a few drinks. Over the years the numbers have got smaller due to people moving away/kids/etc., so for the last 3 years it's just been myself and one of the lads. His wife had their first child earlier this year so he won't be around for pints this year so it looks like the tradition is over :(

It looks like one of my favourite Christmas traditions is no more. Every year for the last 17 years, myself and my friends would go to the local pub on Christmas Eve night for a few drinks. Over the years the numbers have got smaller due to people moving away/kids/etc., so for the last 3 years it's just been myself and one of the lads. His wife had their first child earlier this year so he won't be around for pints this year so it looks like the tradition is over :(

Time to start some new ones so. Never too late to start something fresh!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

kitten_k wrote: »
    You could go for something discrete like this

Free-Christmas-Desktop-Background_lg.jpeg

Usually put this one up 29qjq1f.jpg

For pretty much the same period I have organised a meet up on the 23rd in the same pub, same seats in Dublin city centre. I missed one due to work 8 years ago but it still went ahead. I can make it this year and Im not sure the others will go ahead with it as they have mostly moved so far away, north pole distances to places like Maynooth and North Wexford.

I had the exact same tradition, that died for me a few years ago too.

It's time to move on tho and start creating new traditions. Blank slate now for whatever you want your Christmas Eves to be :)

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Right, Halloween is out of the way....let's get down to business :D:D:D

53 posts so far this morning... makes me think the rest of the forum agrees with your post! haha :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement