Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frances Fitzgerald controversy. Are we heading for an election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

tobsey wrote: »
    Do you think she had knowledge that two Gardai were going to take the stand and lie about McCabe saying he had a grudge?

The Minister was made aware that the strategy was to question McCabe's reasons for coming forward. If whistleblowers were never questioned about the contents they were disclosing it would be very dangerous. Whistleblower legislation has provided for protection for people disclosing information that is in the public interest. That does not mean that they get a free platform to say what they like. Anyone reading that email would think that McCabe would have an opportunity to answer as to whether he was motivated by malice, I think that's a reasonable question to ask.

What's absolutely not reasonable is for two senior officers to blatantly lie about conversations that happened.

There is no reason to suggest that the Minister knew that there was a smear campaign of falsehoods about to be launched at McCabe. The contents of the email only become so explosive in hindsight a year after it was sent.

Given she met O'Sullivan the next day, I am utterly convinced that she asked and was told.

The 2 lying Gardai at the time were very senior. Noeen knew as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Attorney General's office 'did not provide legal advice' to Tánaiste
    The Attorney General's office did not provide Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald with legal advice in 2015 when it contacted her then department about a legal dispute relating to the treatment of Sgt Maurice McCabe at the O'Higgins Commission, RTÉ News has learned.

Doesn't that essentially completely undermine the Tánaiste? Her supporters were saying she could not intervene as she was told it would be illegal. That has now been shown to have been a load of rubbish.

Surely she has to resign? Like, what is her actual defence now? Can anyone enlighten me? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Attorney General's office 'did not provide legal advice' to Tiste

Doesn't that essentially completely undermine the Tiste? Her supporters were saying she could not intervene as she was told it would be illegal. That has now been shown to have been a load of rubbish.

Surely she has to resign? Like, what is her actual defence now? Can anyone enlighten me? :confused:

Just seen that myself.

Leo will have an even harder time now trying to justify backing her to the hilt now. It had been argued on hwere for a few days running that she has said it would be illegal, but no one could explain what would have been illegal.

She will have to be sacrificed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Doesn't that essentially completely undermine the Tánaiste? Her supporters were saying she could not intervene as she was told it would be illegal. That has now been shown to have been a load of rubbish.

She claims she got advice from the AG she has now been contradicted by it being said she was not given advice. Someone is telling porkies and it isn't hard to work out who it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The files from the Department of Justice trawl ordered by the Taoiseach were meant to be released at 2.30pm today according to Ivan Yates on Newstalk. They still haven't been released, journalists reckon there something explosive in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Leo has his get out of Jail Free Card now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Maurice McCabe saying what he liked ?
    I know timelines are getting confused, but this takes the biscuit.

Frances Fitzgerald and all the Fianna Gailers seem to have a different email set up to me.
    I have on occasion not read or not seen or forgotten emails.
    If something gets "controversial" I can search my inbox and find stuff from ages back.
    I would have thought that words or phrases like O Sullivan / McCabe / Tribunal / Guerin or all the other awkward words would have pulled this one up for Frances.

Incompetent.
    Lying.
    Either or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am not going to go down a rabbit hole with you on this one. I have offered three possibilities for how the email leaked. You have offered none.

Neither am I going around the houses explaining the logic and the implications behind each and every one. If one of them had a clear outstanding logic and references to back it up, it would be clear to everyone, but there are reasons for and reasons against each source.

We could all go around, as you are doing, picking holes in any of the three possibilities, that is the easy thing to do and makes one look clever. The more difficult task is actually picking a definitive one and explaining why it is the real one and also what are the implications.

Take the possibility that Justice are the source. The first question is how come Justice officials leaked an email to Alan Kelly some weeks or months ago yet couldn't find it early last week when he was asking questions about it? Maybe they didn't leak it is the obvious answer. The other possible answer, is that some official leaked it to Alan Kelly but didn't bother to offer it up to the Minister when Kelly started asking questions. That says something about the Department all right, but it also exonerates the Minister in this particular case, as it was the officials who were hiding things from her. Given that, why are Kelly and the rest of the opposition looking for her head on a platter, given that is their source.

It doesn't make sense, unless the opposition are cynically exploiting something they actually know isn't the Minister's fault. It isn't even Flanagan's fault as he was only told about the existence of the email and not its content around 10 days ago. There will be serious questions for Justice officials to answer if they are Kelly's mole but cannot give their own Minister the same information.

Of course, there is the remote possibility that Flanagan and Fitzgerald have been sitting on this information for weeks and months too. However, there will be a record of this, and Varadkar would have sacked them if that was the case.

Nothing to do with any rabbit holes.

You make quite a few suppositions and predictions around here that you appear to believe should be taken seriously, which is fine by me, I just treat those for what they are, conjecture, and as such ignore them.

When you start posting on what you term logic, (reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity,) I fell that is a different matter, and as such, what you term as logic is open to question considering your post replying to an earlier post of mine.

Your post #789.
    "I am going to have to spell this out for you, I think.

How did Alan Kelly know about it? The only logical answer is because the gardai had told the the Tribunal about the contact with the DoJ. Kelly got that, either from the Gardai or the Tribunal."

Your Tribunal "logical answer" has already been debunked, and as your only other "logical answer" was the Gardai, I feel it is reasonable to question where that logic came from.

If you want to withdraw that and admit it was simply supposition on your part, that is fine by me.
    In fact I cannot see it as anything other than supposition as there has been nothing to even vaguely to suggest the Gardai, no more than this Disclosures Tribunal, had any knowledge of this email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It just says the information she received wasn't regarded as being legal advice:
    RTE News wrote:
    Responding to a series of questions from RTÉ, the Department of Justice said that "the AG's Office was providing information in the telephone call in question, not legal advice, however, as the email states both the senior official from the AG's office and the senior official in the Department of Justice were of the view that 'neither the Attorney nor the Minister has a function related to the evidence a party to a Commission of Investigation may adduce'".
    She was certainly given information by the AG at the time, whether to call it Legal Advice or not is semantics.

• Advertisement

DominoDub wrote:
    Leo has his get out of Jail Free Card now.

Think it's MM that has got the out of jail card. He can proceed now with the confidence vote if she doesn't walk. Voters now know she has to go with this latest revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Maurice McCabe saying what he liked ?
    I know timelines are getting confused, but this takes the biscuit.

Frances Fitzgerald and all the Fianna Gailers seem to have a different email set up to me.
    I have on occasion not read or not seen or forgotten emails.
    If something gets "controversial" I can search my inbox and find stuff from ages back.
    I would have thought that words or phrases like O Sullivan / McCabe / Tribunal / Guerin or all the other awkward words would have pulled this one up for Frances.

Incompetent.
    Lying.
    Either or both.

The general thrust

'Garda whistleblower everyone says is a saint is a wrong one'
    'inquiry is over he's still a saint'

begs the question, 'well noirin, what happened there?'.

That was in the scenario where she claimed she could say nothing due to legal advice, mind you. Thats out the window now too.

tobsey wrote:
    She was certainly given information by the AG at the time, whether to call it Legal Advice or not is semantics.

She has claimed in her defense she got legal advice that she could not act. It's not semantics. What she said is quite clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It just says the information she received wasn't regarded as being legal advice:

So essentially another "FYI" email and not legal advice as she has been proclaiming?

Credibility has long gone.

The Tánaiste is expected to resign this evening according to Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Lads ladies will there be an election in Dec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Soulsun wrote: »

9/4 chance according to the omniscient Patrick Power...

Soulsun wrote:

Waiting on Leo to say, it's his decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It certainly isn't. Legal advices are a distinct thing, they are not just the comments of someone from the AGO. A large part of the defence of Fitzgerald has been that she received legal advice that the she should do nothing. This is patently false. 1. She did not seek or receive contemporaneous legal advices on this matter, the email she was forwarded was categorically not legal advice. 2. The email itself did not say the Minister should or could do nothing, let alone that it would have been 'illegal'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Interesting to see what appears to be a slow bleed of information from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    So essentially another "FYI" email and not legal advice as she has been proclaiming?

Credibility has long gone.

Amazing that she picked up and read this email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,247 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

devnull wrote: »

Radio seems to be way behind the web.

devnull wrote: »

All eyes will turn to the 6.1 News and Claire Byrne Live at 10.35pm.

Important to keep in mind that Katie Hannon blew this whole story wide open last Monday night on Claire Byrne Live when she revealed the email. I wonder will she be on again tonight?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Thing is that the bleed has been slow, rather than one big bang as we've seen a few revelations over the past few days in relation to this matter.

Have the other media sources been reporting revelations of their own or just RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If -as is looking increasingly likely-Martin backs down from this, will it damage him much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That is reasonable to assume alright.

Define widespread in this case? There is nothing to suggest that Fitzgerald as Minister did anything to even remotely damage McCabe or his credibility. She was specifically told she could not act in relation to the email, or the strategy that the Gardai were using. She said recently that she was made aware of it in 2016. She should have said she was actually made aware of it in 2015. In either case, the strategy wasn't even used at the time, and if it had been, Fitzgerald still couldn't have done anything to stop it.

Perhaps if the strategy had been used, Fitzgerald could have come out publicly to denounce it, and to support McCabe. However because these events never even happened, she didn't have a need or opportunity to do so.
    Accountablity for what? What is so wrong about forgetting an email? What is so wrong with dismissing one, especially when you have no action to take?

She had been made aware, said she wasn't. Said she aware of it in 2016 but must have forgot, but was aware in 2015. Said she received legal advice not to get involved with the information she forgot getting, now turns out it wasn't legal advice. On the email she forgot about.
    If you are given the serious position of Minister for Justice and you allegedly forget about an email pertaining to a case of corruption/whistleblowing within An Garda Siochana, which is a known, ongoing saga of national importance, yes, damn right you should resign or be sacked.

To listen to Fine Gael she's being sold as someone who got an email she forgot about at some point and people are out to smear her.

If -as is looking increasingly likely-Martin backs down from this, will it damage him much?

It's looking increasingly likely it's Leo that is going to be damaged, by Fitzgeralds behaviour.

The part in this whole legal advice she was supposed to have received, (and was the main plank, indeed the only plank, argument for her doing nothing), I could not get is, if she had, wouldn`t that have been known by those that received that email.
    So what was one of them doing discussing it on the phone with O`Sullivan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So you would trust politicians? Do you remember Enda saying he wouldn't allow the Moriarty report to gather dust. That's the one that made findings of corruption against a notable friend of FG.

At least you can vote from out. Unlike the "permanent government"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

flaneur wrote: »

When have we ever had a Government that wasn't composed of either FF or FG... voting them out... right

No, one is legal advice to be followed lest you run afoul of the law. The other is advice with as much legal weight as advice like you might get off your granny. The legal was being used as a defense for doing nothing. So it's more than semantics.

Straw clutching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

When have we ever had a Government that wasn't composed of either FF or FG... voting them out... right

Well, it is an option ... People voting for them anyway is not the system's fault.

flaneur wrote:

The politicians have the power to make the 'permanent government' accountable. They however choose not too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

All eyes will turn to the 6.1 News and Claire Byrne Live at 10.35pm.

Important to keep in mind that Katie Hannon blew this whole story wide open last Monday night on Claire Byrne Live when she revealed the email. I wonder will she be on again tonight?

Will be interesting to see the FFailers squirm and back away from their calls on Fitzgerald to walk.

I half hope Martin backs down. It'll show FF up and FG are already a write off by backing Fitzgerald and O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What time is the vote or motion of no confidence on tomorrow at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pity to see blind party allegencies. What the majority want, I would think is, the DOJ and Gardai reformed once and for all.

No, one is legal advice to be followed lest you run afoul of the law. The other is advice with as much legal weight as advice like you might get off your granny. The legal was being used as a defense for doing nothing. So it's more than semantics.

Straw clutching.

The very least Fizgerald should be sacked for is incompetence.

If you are a Minister for Justice that doesn`t know what is and what is not legal advice then that really is utter incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Varadkar and Co. should apologise to him publicly for the way the system and Fitzgerald failed him. Although that would require integrity.

Varadkar publicly objected to Callinan calling him disgusting if you recall from 2014. He certainly has supported him.
    The tribunal that is only getting full disclosure of the information the DOJ has precisely because of this political crisis?
    Hitman3000 wrote:
    Information has been shown to have been withheld from from the Tribunal. So to my mind the Tribunal is a waste of time..

The tribunal is the only opportunity to get the truth. What we are witnessing is the malaise and subterfuge we knew about in the Gardai extends up to the DOJ to the point that officials there have been trying to obscure information from both minister and the tribunal.

The tribunal is the only opportunity to get the truth. What we are witnessing is the malaise and subterfuge we knew about in the Gardai extends up to the DOJ to the point that officials there have been trying to obscure information from both minister and the tribunal.

It has already been shown that information has been withheld from the Disclosures Tribunal. So you'll have to forgive when I say it's a waste if time and it's usefulness for FG to hide behind has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,247 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Varadkar publicly objected to Callinan calling him disgusting if you recall from 2014. He certainly has supported him.

This whole thing will hinge on the trawl of documents that have been found SINCE Alan Kelly asked his question.

Those documents would never have gotten to the tribunal had there not been motions of confidence and a crisis over them.

You cannot therefore have any faith in a tribunal to get at the truth until you sort out the politics and the participants to that tribunal.

Heads need to roll and penalties for lying imposed. Then hold your tribunal. It's a sham otherwise.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It has already been shown that information has been withheld from the Disclosures Tribunal. So you'll have to forgive when I say it's a waste if time and it's usefulness for FG to hide behind has passed.

And bearing in mind in this specific case that Fitzgerald had the info and did nothing with it, allegedly on 'legal advice', which we now know wasn't given.

Yep. Only the blind loyal FG folks have said she was prevented legalled from doing anything - because the email originator suggested it.

Anything I heard over weekend dismissed that.

She purposefully did nothing. Complicit.

Forgot the email. Complicit.

Did not send email to Disclosures. Complicit.

He went on to support O'Sullivan when he was no longer the hurling from the ditch young firebrand :rolleyes:

Tribunals are great for diffusing a touchy political topic and forgetting about it at great cost to the tax payer. I'm all for the concept, but the buck must stop some where not be dissected at great expense and forgot or lost in the legal minutia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

She could have acted on the email. She couldn't instruct the legal counsel directly but she could have rang Noreen, a public servant, and told her she did not agree with the smear given they were both supporting McCabe in public. That point was made by FF on the radio yesterday.

Yes, FF were always very good at ringing the local Sergeant and asking them not to take action on something, sometimes even the local Superintendent. I am not surprised that they suggested that completely inappropriate action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

DOJ had its own counsel and they should have been advised to disassociate from any strategy that attacked McCabe's character and inform the Tribunal of such.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, FF were always very good at ringing the local Sergeant and asking them not to take action on something, sometimes even the local Superintendent. I am not surprised that they suggested that completely inappropriate action.

You're behind the curve again. You missed this;

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1127/923025-taoiseach-and-martin-to-meet-again/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, I am not behind the curve.

What you are saying is that the Tanaise should have rung a senior Garda and interfered in the course of justice. That is wrong and is always wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Water John wrote: »
    DOJ had its own counsel and they should have been advised to disassociate from any strategy that attacked McCabe's character and inform the Tribunal of such.

That's why this is such a mess. It is becoming harder to look at this without the word collusion coming to mind.
    I wonder how far is Maurice McCabe from suing the state for being complicit in the attacks on him. He can definitely claim life altering stress levels and damage to his good name.

Only, thing he'd be relying on a court of the state to vindicate him.

This time last year Enda was talking about meetings he allegedly had and this year Fitzgerald is on about alleged legal advice.
    Something seriously amiss on the FG front bench.

Still no sign of the files from the trawl which the Department of Justice committed to publishing by 2.30pm today.

EDIT: Looks like they're on their way.

https://twitter.com/SarahBardon/status/935217890969767937

• Advertisement
Advertisement