Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frances Fitzgerald controversy. Are we heading for an election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I see zero difference between FG and FG.

Me either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

markodaly wrote: »
    Does this change anything on the ground, no. Ask the average punter on the street about this and they wont have a clue what you are on about.

That's ok so....we just let them away with flat out lying to the dail

No consequences for that,
    Or what they've allow be done to McCabe??....still no such thing as political accountability in ireland and practically 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Gavan Reilly‏Verified account
    @gavreilly
    9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gavreilly @JohnBurkeRTE
    Gavan Reilly Retweeted Gavan Reilly
    Should stress: no record to say Varadkar *saw* the emails on Friday. He was merely told that they existed, and that Fitzgerald had been coached on what to say in case she herself was asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does this change anything on the ground, no. Ask the average punter on the street about this and they wont have a clue what you are on about.

Imagine the airing it would get during an election campaign.

Don't be so naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

markodaly wrote:

I know plenty of people who know what this is about. Is this more FG contempt for ordinary people?

devnull wrote:
    Bertie made a whole career over stroke politics and scandals, yet still some people kept voting for him for some reason, I guess it must have been the handouts and the incentives he gave people who were happy to turn a blind eye to the fact he was about as bad person in politics as they can.

Sure I could mention Lowry , seems to have been cut from the same cloth but from a different party. But this thread is about neither of these 2 gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Cant wait to see that muppet varadkar out.
    Patronising ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I know plenty of people who know what this is about. Is this more FG contempt for ordinary people?

Like 48% of people ;)

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Imagine the airing it would get during an election campaign.

Don't be so naive.

An election is about goodies, like jobs, tax cuts, teachers, nurses and so on. This issue will be off the front page about 24 hours after an election is called, the story will have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

9/4 chance according to the omniscient Patrick Power...

This still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Kalyke wrote: »
    @gavreilly
    9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Should stress: no record to say Varadkar *saw* the emails on Friday. He was merely told that they existed, and that Fitzgerald had been coached on what to say in case she herself was asked

Looks like he was being coached by Fitzgerald on "the dog ate my homework master" excuse and decided to refine it.

Rather than saying you don`t remember whether you read an email or not, make damn sure you do not read it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Kalyke wrote: »
    @gavreilly
    9m9 minutes ago
    More

Did he say earlier that Leo saw them or not?

Because reading this thread suggests that Leo admitted to seeing the emails on Friday after today's developments but now it seems that there is a climb down from that position.....

markodaly wrote:
    Like 48% of people

As I said Mark I know plenty of people and they are not as ignorant to these events as you would like to claim. I get the anger FG supporters, were sold a pup and are lashing out now. Ye were lied too. It's ok I and others understand. Betrayal can be a terrible thing to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

An election is about goodies, like jobs, tax cuts, teachers, nurses and so on. This issue will be off the front page about 24 hours after an election is called, the story will have moved on.

Keep the recovery going could be the slogan I spose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

IMO there's too much going on for us to have an election right now. Sort out how we're going to weather the British incompetence and let us finally have a referendum on the 8th, then let us go back to the polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Soulsun wrote: »
    This still the same?

7/4 now.

Betrayal can be a terrible thing to deal with.

FF supporters will know all about that.

They betrayed a generation and the entire population when they bust the country.

Will they not just cite this as coverup and no political reforms (which will be needed either way after this)

There's no money there to do all these free things your dreaming up,they'd done em.at the budget....Unless they were planning on corruptly following ff and buying an election?

Are fg about to leave mccabe bring down the dail??.....over what they (and noone else)deem.to be an non-issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1127/923025-taoiseach-and-martin-to-meet-again/

This shows Frances knew of the aggressive policy. The policy she couldn't remember.
    Gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Soulsun wrote: »
    This still the same?

It's come in a bit to 7/4...Thought i would have gone out on the assumption that Franny would be resigning...

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Did he say earlier that Leo saw them or not?

Because reading this thread suggests that Leo admitted to seeing the emails on Friday after today's developments but now it seems that there is a climb down from that position.....

It said he 'knew' on Friday about the 2015 email chain of events.

devnull wrote:
    They betrayed a generation and the entire country when they bust the country.

I know facts are lost on some, but the country wasn't bust. Funding had been secured. As for betrayal of future generationswhich party converted Anglo debt into sovereign debt?
    Actually consider that a rhetorical question. I'm not dragging the thread off topic any further.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It said he 'knew' on Friday about the 2015 email chain of events.

So why is the journo climbing down if there is no difference as some are claiming?

Has the journo been caught spinning?

Will they not just cite this as coverup and no political reforms (which will be needed either way after this)

Like the Disclosures Tribunal and the Commission into the Future of Policing?

I know facts are lost on some, but the country wasn't bust. Funding had been secured. As for betrayal of future generationswhich party converted Anglo debt into sovereign debt?
    Actually consider that a rhetorical question. I'm not dragging the thread off topic any further.

FF destroyed this country....stood on steps of the dail,said imf wasn't coming

Schoolchildren knew they were coming....destroyed virtually everything they built up....basically fcuked over everyone my generation to save their friends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Water John wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1127/923025-taoiseach-and-martin-to-meet-again/

This shows Frances knew of the aggressive policy. The policy she couldn't remember.
    Gone.

And this raises the question why she lied about knowing to the Dail back then. It makes the whole line of 'protecting whistleblowers' look even more farcical.

Like the Disclosures Tribunal and the Commission into the Future of Policing?

What's point of having tribunals and enquiries when they don't send half the relevant info to them

Given what's been found they didn't send to Charleston inquiry....do you honestly trust em to fully engage with future tribunals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

devnull wrote: »
    I see the usual short term memory of the Irish electorate is here.

Not as short as the Fine Gael government under Kenny and Varadkar anyway. Are they back to being the scourge we should let no where near power? :rolleyes:

No wonder the Sec Gen handed in his retirement. Once AK persisted in his questions. He knew the truth would out.

McCabes plight has seen the departure of 2 commissioners 2 (possibly 3) justice ministers, 2 x general secretaries and even 1 x Taoiseach.

If you think this will be off the front page in 24 hrs you have been brainwashed.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

FF destroyed this country....stood on steps of the dail,said imf wasn't coming

Schoolchildren knew they were coming....destroyed virtually everything they built up....basically fcuked over everyone my generation to save their friends

Doesn`t appear to have been much change since when you see the lengths Varadkar was prepared to go too to save a friend.

Cause a general election when he knew without doubt Fitzgerald deserved to be sacked.

What's point of having tribunals and enquiries when they don't send half the relevant info to them

The point of Tribunals is to shut down awkward lines of questioning to government. It will be dealt with by the inquiry/ tribunal etc....

Given what's been found they didn't send to Charleston inquiry....do you honestly trust em to fully engage with future tribunals?

So no point to Tribunals ok so. I suppose kangaroo courts and trail by media are fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Water John wrote: »
    No wonder the Sec Gen handed in his retirement. Once AK persisted in his questions. He knew the truth would out.

Indeed. The documents show he was well aware of the strategy. Charlie Flanagan insisted his retirement had nothing to do with any of this. Questionable!

McCabes plight has seen the departure of 2 commissioners 2 (possibly 3) justice ministers, 2 x general secretaries and even 1 x Taoiseach.

If you think this will be off the front page in 24 hrs you have been brainwashed.

Simple as that.

What are you on about. Counting chickens are you?

Fitzgerald has to go. For starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,129 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leo's spin factory doesn't appear to be worth the money.

So no point to Tribunals ok so. I suppose kangaroo courts and trail by media are fine.

Nowhere have I said this....don't let partisanism cloud your judgement

Given what's come out that they tried to cover up by not sending relevant info to an inquiry

Do you trust someone like this to engage fully and truthfully with a tribunal?

In all honesty they've made their bed here,let them.accept some responsibilty for what they've done....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The point of Tribunals is to shut down awkward lines of questioning to government. It will be dealt with by the inquiry/ tribunal etc....

In recent days the media was full of questions about how the Department of Justice was being ran, obviously after being briefed as normal as generally they don't think for themselves. It seems now that the DoJ knew where at least one skeletons was buried, and fvcked Frances over.
    Too many lies, too many lose ends.

• Advertisement

What are you on about. Counting chickens are you?

Not counting chickens I even said (possibly) as regards 3 x justice ministers .

markodaly wrote:

I remember Enda saying the Moriarty report wouldn't be left to gather dust. That was a costly affair but I suppose it made uncomfortable reading for a certain friend of FG. So yeah no point if nothing is done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I want an Election put Fine Gael and Labour back into power and give Fianna Fail a bloody nose at the ballot box which is what they deserve. We need stability and FG/LAB are the way to achieve it, get rid of the Indepdendents, Healy Rae types etc and the Greens as for Fianna Fail I got an email this morning for a Nigerian Crown Prince, I know that he is a crook and is honest about his thieving, Fianna Fail are just scum thieves full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hey, in simple terms, can you answer this please:

1) in light of the most recent revelations, should Frances Fitzgerald resign?
    2) if she does not, should the Taoiseach sack her?

You don't really need more than a yes or a no to each tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

listermint wrote: »

Couple of them on here earning their money tonight. It's a thankless job.

listermint wrote:

It's ok it was only taxpayers money.

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    I want an Election put Fine Gael and Labour back into power and give Fianna Fail a bloody nose at the ballot box which is what they deserve. We need stability and FG/LAB are the way to achieve it, get rid of the Indepdendents, Healy Rae types etc and the Greens as for Fianna Fail I got an email this morning for a Nigerian Crown Prince, I know that he is a crook and is honest about his thieving, Fianna Fail are just scum thieves full stop.
    You do realise it is FG at the centre of this controversy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Doltanian wrote: »
    Yeah because when fg and lab were in coalition things were very stable and there was no controversies or anything :rolleyes:

Not counting chickens I even said (possibly) as regards 3 x justice ministers .

You put in a Taoiseach as well, which is absurd.

You put in a Taoiseach as well, which is absurd.

Well...its obviously gonna be the Taoiseach ot the taniste here?

Is Leo gonna do political suicide to save a lying deceiving 67 year old collegue

Or do what any rational person would do and sack her

Doubt if Coveney is pleased. He's close to Frances. This doesn't send Leo any where. It's he ordered the trawl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement