Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frances Fitzgerald controversy. Are we heading for an election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

snowflaker wrote: »
    He is the current Juatice Minister- he would have seen the emails too
    He also appears to have purposely failed to comply with a legal order for discovery and attempted to obscure this failure or was ignorant in terms of this failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Why is Flanagan a target?

Yes.

Given a chance, FG would probably set up a police state. In matters of accountability, they are firmly to the right of FF (both of whom I hate, by the way) and a bit cuter than FF's bluff and bluster approach.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He was also aware of the emails. Just heard on rte1 radio, unconfirmed reports that the I.A are expressing concerns about him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There seems to be a lack of good leadership among all the parties.
    None of them inspire confidence. Very watery, insipid or furtive characters at the head of politics in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I think Leo has been badly damaged by this..only a few months in and he looks not to be fully aware of the gravity of the whole garda dysfunction, in thrall to the permanent government I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A 3 point drop in the polls for FG? More?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There seems to be a lack of good leadership among all the parties.
    None of them inspire confidence. Very watery, insipid or furtive characters at the head of politics in this country.
    All the party leaders are weak. I thought Leo would have raised the bar but he is just the same.  It is the problem in this country with all politicians, they all come across as very weak, jumping from one bandwagon to the other.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dinarius wrote: »
    Given a chance, FG would probably set up a police state.

Wow. Someone found a way to out-stupid "cushy job".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

He sat beside Leo and said nothing while Leo lied to the Dail (re emails and smear campaign)

He also withhold important information from the Charleton tribunal.

He has also shown great cowardice by hiding for the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Watch leo gear up and take Fianna Fail out in the next election.

He's a master of elections for himself, hopefully it benefits Fine Gael at the the next election.

I think it's an extraordinary conclusion to view Vardarkar as any sort of political "master" after the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I just dont see how you could not visualise the extent of this problem giving the subject matter.

Leo clearly lives in a bubble of his own making based solely off the handling of this.

Its like he has his own personal optics which are off kilter with the general public perception of wanting honest accountability at the top.

Poor form by all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FFS. Now what will we discuss next week? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Varadkar the big loser.

Really showed his ineptitude and inexperience the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

She's gone. Thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,697 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Coveney next in line for Tanaiste?

So does this mean that Simon Coveney will be appointed Tanaiste?

Heather Humphries maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So does this mean that Simon Coveney will be appointed as the new Tanaiste or is someone else likely to get the position?

Leo lost the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

listermint wrote: »
    Leo clearly lives in a bubble of his own making based solely off the handling of this.

Maybe he's learning that leadership requires a bit more than just spin and photo ops.

So does this mean that Simon Coveney will be appointed Tanaiste?

Someone from the backbenchers will in turn need to be shuffled up to replace whomever is replacing her.

Hard to see Simon Coveney being overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Possibly charles flanagan, and where hes dissappeared to.

Charlie will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Simon Harris as Tánaiste :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The putsch by grassroots FG to fire Varad and install Coveney

Twitter and all these new comms will accelerate this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Someone from the backbenchers will in turn need to be shuffled up to replace whomever is replacing her.

Hard to see Simon Coveney being overlooked.

Coveney probably deserves it after his foolish appearance on Claire Byrne last night. He took one for the team there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You might remember the scene in Where Eagles Dare where the uncovered double agent Colonel Wyatt-Turner is given the option by Richard Burton's Major Smith to either return to Britain for trial or avail of the open door of the transport plane, sans parachute.

That's where Frances is this afternoon, and as an election is unpalatable to either the Taoiseach or Mr. Martin, after some megaphone brinkmanship over the weekend I fully expect the Tánaiste's political career to be spread out all over a metaphorical Alp by Monday evening at the latest.

Not a snowballs chance of an election in advance of Christmas

I'll just leave this here. Admittedly I was wrong by about 18 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Paschal for the laugh and then lose his seat whenever the next election is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If I was a Fine Geal TD I would be calling for Leo to step down as leader. He really showed his ineptitude and poor judgement. This farce needn't have happened.

Mark my words a vote of no confidence in Leo as leader will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

listermint wrote: »
    I just dont see how you could not visualise the extent of this problem giving the subject matter.

Its like he has his own personal optics which are off kilter with the general public perception of wanting honest accountability at the top.

Poor form by all concerned.

If he'd rolled over last 7 days ago, he would have been seen as weak for that as well. I don't think there was any winning for him here.

However, arrogantly bluffing and blustering the way through the week and further wasting the country's time over this nonsense, when the obvious solution was clear to everyone, has damaged him and FG even more. They just end up looking like the spoofers they are.

He thought he'd poker face his way through this and was woefully wrong. In the end, he still has to force Fitzgerald to quit and avoid a Christmas election. It's a serious question hanging over his judgement, especially with the Brexit talks coming up with Britain.

I have to say, I'm not without some sympathy for Varadkar in this. Fitzgerald has been, at best, incompetent and, at worse, a participant in a smear campaign against a man that was trying to do the state some actual service. I'd say there's been some serious words uttered in various meeting rooms between Varadkar and Fitzgerald over this.

• Advertisement

I think both Charlie and Leo should go too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Does she keep the ministerial pension I wonder? Consigned to the back benches now I guess.

If I was a Fine Geal TD I would be calling for Leo to step down as leader. He really showed his ineptitude and poor judgement. This farce needn't have happened.

Mark my words a vote of no confidence in Leo as leader will follow.

Yeah, in about 4 years. There'll be internal recriminations and Leo will be chastened, as he should be, but not a hope of a VNC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

votecounts wrote: »
    Paschal for the laugh and then lose his seat whenever the next election is?

I doubt if we could stand the excitement of Paschal as 2 i/c this stage

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Coveney next in line for Tanaiste?
    Regina Doherty will be the new Tanaiste.  Only because of this gender equality BS.

We'll hace to put up with the sickening plaudits from the hypocrites this evening when she resigns.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Regina Doherty will be the new Tanaiste.  Only because of this gender equality BS.

After her advocating for civil disobedience?

The law and order party tag is already a running joke now.

https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/regina-doherty-backs-civil-disobedience-plans-on-pylons-436451.html

SF should table a motion of no confidence also in Charlie Flanagan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    SF should table a motion of no confidence also in Charlie Flanagan

A) They'll have to get in line behind AK47 and B) The weeks not over yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Resigned! They should expel her from the party. She's done untold damage to Leo's credibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They can’t be but probably are hoping this will all blow over now but the questions remain. Who else knew what and when and were complicit in the cullusion? Numerous people in the Dáil and dept of justice and Garda HQ should also be made to answer for all this, it wasn all Fitzgerald. It looks like she at best didn’t want to know or do anything about it. There was an active campaign to ruin McCabe. Who was behind it? Why are they getting off with it?

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Resigned! They should expel her from the party. She's done untold damage to Leo's credibility.
    Its alright she can go to the back benches and sit with Enda and his imaginary friends. :)  FG are a joke now.  Since they have got into government they have gone from one Fiasco to another and handled every single one of them badly.  What is it now they have lost
    2 commissioners
    2 Ministers of Justice
    1 Taoiseach
    Water charges. 
    If they were a dog they would have been put down long ago.

Think he did some of that to himself, he would have to have known what Katie Hannon revealed last night and still stood by Fitzgerald. If he didn't know well thats even worse.

david75 wrote: »
    They can’t be but probably are hoping this will all blow over now but the questions remain. Who else knew what and when and were complicit in the cullusion? Numerous people in the Dáil and dept of justice and Garda HQ should also be made to answer for all this, it wasn all Fitzgerald. It looks like she at best didn’t want to know or do anything about it. There was an active campaign to ruin McCabe. Who was behind it? Why are they getting off with it?
    I would also ask whoever is behind it what are they really trying to hide?  There is something going on here, when all this whistleblowing stuff broke all the government had to do was tackle it head on. Do the investigation, roll heads, implement the changes in the AGS and DOJ and move on, but no for some reason they have fought this every inch of the way.  There is something huge there that they are trying to hide.

And if she is exonerated by the Tribunal and shown to have acted appropriately? Relax will ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Neither FF nor FG can be trusted with a majority IMO.

This system works well bar the slow pace of legislating.
    As we have seen, it is impossible for them (FF FG) to get away with the old ways any longer.
    Taking them a while to learn that though, I really thought Leo was the begining of something new.

I thought the same until after the putsch against Enda in 2010.
    Whatever about it not succeeding, he was on a radio show (Sam Smyth, I think) and was almost resigned to not continuing in politics.
    He had the proverbial battle with his conscience, and having won proved himself to be as self serving as the rest of the fine, honest upstanding men and women in Fianna Gail.
    Back in the day I thought that Ms Fitzgerald was a welcome addition to the Dail when she first got elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I haven't been paying much attention to this as I reached peak "Sgt MacCabe" after the Tusla cut and paste 'error'. As far as I was concerned if heads didn't roll after that fiasco, then we are just banging our heads off a brick wall. The way I saw it, somebody either made an error of cataclysmic incompetence or there was something much more sinister afoot. Either way, there should have been a criminal investigation into Sgt McCabe as a result of the erroneous report but there wasn't. I am not aware of any satisfactory explanation for this although I can draw my own conclusions.

Consequently I just yawned when I heard about emails passing the buck, (or keeping the chain of command in the loop as the Civil Service would probably call it). So could someone please tell me am I missing something in the timeline, please. My, possibly erroneous understanding, is that we only found out about Tusla's incompetence (in this particular case) this year. So in 2015, Sgt McCabe was being falsely painted as being a kiddie fiddler and someone who made a comment to a superior officer that he had a grudge against others which may have motivated his complaints. So Frances Fitzgerald received an email saying that McCabe's character would be brought into question at the enquiry. Unless I am missing something, I think I would have just shrugged my shoulders myself and archived that email under my folder "why am I being told this?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,370 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leo did enough damage himself to his credibility. How the hell did this mess get this far ? Leo varadkar showed his political inepxperience in this saga. His standing within FG has to be damaged badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Floppybits wrote: »
    I would also ask whoever is behind it what are they really trying to hide?  There is something going on here, when all this whistleblowing stuff broke all the government had to do was tackle it head on. Do the investigation, roll heads, implement the changes in the AGS and DOJ and move on, but no for some reason they have fought this every inch of the way.  There is something huge there that they are trying to hide.

That’s a great point. It’s all so murky and suggests serious shenanigans. Who has what dirt on who would be why you see them all railing to make this a non issue. It should be as you said a cut and dry investigation and then some heads roll and onwards with it.

The way it is it does look like something is being held over FG as a party or individual members and they’re doing a united front to pretend it’s not happening.

All that said it’s ireland. Nothing is ever done to serve the truth. It’s the old boys club writ large. They all take care of each other and always have. It’s just what we do in this country. To our everlasting shame.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And if she is exonerated by the Tribunal and shown to have acted appropriately? Relax will ya.

She will still have lied in the Dail and misled others. Which is why she is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

tobsey wrote: »
    I can't believe that is the case. There is no way Fitzgerald is going to bring down Varadkar or FG out of spite.

I really don't think that's what it has been. It's been largely a lame duck with very little being achieved. We could do with a period of stability and make some progress without everything being delayed in order to allow everyone score points.

Hopefully it is a first step to a proper parliament where matters are discussed openly, where deals are negotiated on a regular basis to pass proper legislation.

The FF/FG circus in the past where one group of chancers forms and writes All legislation because they cornered 30% of popular vote has been disastrous - leading to boom bust economics.

Some of the stuff has not been great, and party hacks like to paint the independents as flaky. However Maurice McCabe \ Garda "stuff" and NAMA "stuff" has not been exposed by FG or FF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement