Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frances Fitzgerald controversy. Are we heading for an election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That was buttimer I think. He was useless
    It was Buttimer that was on this morning... if you're talking about Morning Ireland that is.

Yeh, heard Butimer too. Maybe it was on SOR, he was definitely on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It was Buttimer that was on this morning... if you're talking about Morning Ireland that is.

I heard that. He was woeful. Seems Donohoe may have had the sense to keep his head down.
    I cannot recall hearing him putting up much of a shift for Fitzgerald.

Sorry folks, maybe it was later in the day, it was after the resignation. Still awful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

As he is a person with a speech impediment I find the comment unnecessary and unfair

snowflaker wrote: »
    As he is a person with a speech impediment I find the comment unnecessary and unfair

Eh?

Haris doesn`t have one faik, and I don`t see where anyone referred to Donohoe or anyone else having a speech impediment :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry folks, maybe it was later in the day, it was after the resignation. Still awful though.

If it was the interview where he was going on about "now now I'm not prepared to divulge what was said at the cabinet, but let me just say" waffle, it was post resignation and it was on rte radio 1.

And yes, he came across terribly.

No one mentioned his speech impediment :confused:

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    If it was the interview where he was going on about "now now I'm not prepared to divulge what was said at the cabinet, but let me just say" waffle, it was post resignation and it was on rte radio 1.

And yes, he came across terribly.

Yep, that was the one. His heart was just not in it and he kept running out of sentence. :)

• Advertisement

Yep, that was the one. His heart was just not in it and he kept running out of sentence. :)

Lacked sincerity and integrity in the interview. It was clear as day that he was seething at what went on**.

( **meaning that they got caught btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

charlie14 wrote: »

Haris doesn`t have one faik, and I don`t see where anyone referred to Donohoe or anyone else having a speech impediment :confused:

It's Simon Coveney who's got the speech impediment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

They all speak with "forked tongue".
    How!

ooter wrote: »
    The DOJ is "dysfunctional" according to Simon Harris for needing a trawl to find the other 2 emails but Frances isn't dysfunctional for completely forgetting about them? :confused:

I wonder if Noel Waters statement was in relation to this?
    "The Department has been subject to a barrage of unwarranted criticism in recent days and most particularly today.

"I want to assure you that, in so far as is humanly possible, this Department has sought at all times to act appropriately, upholding the law and the institutions of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I wonder if Noel Waters statement was in relation to this?

It's very hard to square that statement in any way shape or form with the conduct highlighted thus far.

• Advertisement

It's Simon Coveney who's got the speech impediment.

He has ? I honestly never noticed.

In fact he is one of that rare breed for me.
    A Cork man where I can fully understands what he is saying.

I find the Cork accent in general a killer, but then they probably have the same problem with mine.

Odhinn wrote: »
    It's very hard to square that statement in any way shape or form with the conduct highlighted thus far.

Would his retirement excuse him from being compelled to attend any future enquiry?

Would his retirement excuse him from being compelled to attend any future enquiry?

No idea. There's also the question of what scope an enquiry would have. Considering the open and honest way they're dealing with the current one doesn't give rise to any optimism.

That was a clear as mud.

Another Minister for Justice that is told there has been an email found that relates to McCabe who doesn`t ask to see it, ask what it says and apparently his only worry was that it wasn`t at the Disclosures Tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

I wouldn’t think so. The fact that he is walking away at this point is very evident. His statement is typical of a civil servant; defend at all costs...

The DoJ are a complete embarrassment to the state a bit like Fine Gael and their defence of Frances. How costly will that prove? Although some woman was on Drive Time defending her this evening; so you never know with the Irish electorate; Michael Lowry is a saint in Tipperary sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Flanagan really having to eat humble pie. Says a trawl, of his dept, ordered by the Taoiseach.
    Wallace got in a few good questions. See in the thread a few having a go at Wallace.
    Wallace Daly and McGuinness were the 3 who gave McCabe a lifeline.
    Yes I think they all still have to appear at the Tribunal. Frances won't fancy having to answer McDowell.

Water John wrote: »
    Flanagan really having to eat humble pie. Says a trawl, of his dept, ordered by the Taoiseach.
    Wallace got in a few good questions. See in the thread a few having a go at Wallace.
    Wallace Daly and McGuinness were the 3 who gave McCabe a lifeline.
    Yes I think they all still have to appear at the Tribunal. Frances won't fancy having to answer McDowell.

Agreed whether you are a supporter of Wallace and Daly or not, it has to be acknowledged not only did they give McCabe a lifeline, they have also exposed some very dodgy practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Now we've Flanagan saying he saw the email, but didn't see the significance.
    Another Minister not fit for purpose or covering?
    It's amusing to see them, (Flanagan and Varadkar) throw the Department under the bus. Essentially saying they've failed as ministers, but passing the buck to the department. I hope it gives rise to some civil servant whistle blowing.

It's amusing to see them, (Flanagan and Varadkar) throw the Department under the bus. Essentially saying they've failed as ministers, but passing the buck to the department. I hope it gives rise to some civil servant whistle blowing.
    Flanagan wrote:
    "I was ... frankly horrified that there were records in the Department of Justice that should have been provided to the Disclosures Tribunal.

"As Minister I have repeatedly emphasised the vital importance of full cooperation by the Department with the Tribunal."

He opened his statement with an apology to Mr Kelly for saying that the Labour TD was engaged in a smear campaign against him and withdrew his remarks.

Mr Flanagan said: "It is only right to acknowledge that Deputy Kelly's parliamentary questions should have been better handled by me."

In other words ' It was them'
    In a letter to staff, Mr Waters said that many of the claims in the media and in the Dáil about how the department had acted were not true.

He said it was a particularly difficult time for the department, but he was stepping aside entirely of his own volition.

Mr Waters said: "The department has been subject to a barrage of unwarranted criticism in recent days and most particularly today.

"I want to assure you that, in so far as is humanly possible, this department has sought at all times to act appropriately, upholding the law and the institutions of the State.

"Many of the claims about how the department has acted that have been made in the media and in the Dáil are not true, and I am confident that the processes that the Taoiseach has announced will show that to be the case."

In other words, 'No, it was youse'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1128/923450-flanagan-justice/

It's amusing to see them, (Flanagan and Varadkar) throw the Department under the bus. Essentially saying they've failed, but passing the buck. I hope it gives rise to some civil servant whistle blowing.

I thought he said he didn`t see the email.

That he got a phone call in Portlaoise telling him it was found and was related to McCabe, the caller was retiring from the Department which upset him and he never asked to see it, what was in it and just told the caller to send it to Charleton.

That he got a phone call in Portlaoise telling him it was found and was related to McCabe, the caller was retiring from the Department which upset him and he never asked to see it, what was in it and just told the caller to send it to Charleton.

I can't buy his story at all.

Basically he is saying that somebody came into his kitchen and left something on the kitchen table that may have been a grenade. Even though the somebody bolted for the door he sat calmly at the table and didn't even bother to check if it was a grenade.

It's not believable that upon retiring, he found it relevant and important enough to raise in a phone call to the Minister for Justice, who in turn dismissed it, despite the political fall out from the McCabe issue. I can see Flanagan 'retiring'.

At least Kenny had a few funny yarns.

Sorry, was told of the contents, had a tea leaf reading? ;)
    The Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has told the Dáil that he "simply the missed the significance" of the May 2015 email about the treatment of Maurice McCabe at the O’Higgins Commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I do not know what reason Nettle Soup has for believing that on Harris but for me it would be that he moved up the pecking order for future FG leadership after Coveney surprised me greatly by looking a complete tool last night.
    For me the boyo I would see as licking his lips at his chances is Paschal Dohonoe who was quiter than Harris and faik unlike Harris had enough wit not to trot out the party line of Fitzgerald going nowhere as late as this morning.

I think you are reading this all wrong for the FG leadership.

What did FG TDs learn from this? Varadkar will defend them to the hilt right until the end if he believes they did the right thing - Fitzgerald's words about him demonstrated that. This is in contrast to previous leaders of all parties who would throw their mother under the bus if it suited.

That will stand to Varadkar in the long run.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think you are reading this all wrong for the FG leadership.

What did FG TDs learn from this? Varadkar will defend them to the hilt right until the end if he believes they did the right thing - Fitzgerald's words about him demonstrated that. This is in contrast to previous leaders of all parties who would throw their mother under the bus if it suited.

That will stand to Varadkar in the long run.

I think you are completely blue blinkered.

FG grassroots and parliamentary party are furious with Fitzgerald.
    Her praising Varadkar is only rubbing salt into the wound reminding them that he had those emails Friday, yet let them all make mugs of themselves, (encouraged them to on fact), until they became public knowledge last night.
    To rub even more salt into the wound, they all know Varadkar kept quite about those email in an attempt to play chicken with Martin and lost.

Last night they would not only have thrown her under a bus, they would have turned the bus around and had another go and do not know why Varadkar, knowing what he did Friday, he didn`t do the same then.

Varadkar is seriously damaged goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Her praising Varadkar is only rubbing salt into the wound reminding them that he had those emails Friday, yet let them all make mugs of themselves, (encouraged them to on fact), until they became public knowledge last night.
    To rub even more salt into the wound, they all know Varadkar kept quite about those email in an attempt to play chicken with Martin and lost.

Last night they would not only have thrown her under a bus, they would have turned the bus around and had another go and do not know why Varadkar, knowing what he did Friday, he didn`t do the same then.

We shall see. You are predicting one future, I am predicting another, only time will tell.

Sorry, was told of the contents, had a tea leaf reading? ;)

Amazing how the mention of the name McCabe causes amnesia and blindness in Ministers for Justice.

Surprised they haven`t attempted to smear him as a health hazard seeing as they have tried ever other half brained effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Leo is seriously damaged among the FG support -he was never that popular to begin with, they wanted coveney- and the parliamentary party would take or leave him after the last few days

And it's only gonna get worse for him!!

Journalists are referencing it all day. Especially the cabinet meeting this morning.

Mythically party members are all one team, it is never like that in reality.
    FG completely shattered the law and order tag this week.

blanch152 wrote: »
    We shall see. You are predicting one future, I am predicting another, only time will tell.

I predict that Leo will be the shortest reigning FG leader ever, and there'll be a general election in the first half of 2018 where he'll not be returned as the Taoiseach either.

I predict that Leo will be the shortest reigning FG leader ever, and there'll be a general election in the first half of 2018 where he'll not be returned as the Taoiseach either.

I'd predict it'll be by paddys day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Leo playing this even more astutely than I thought.

Going for the longer game. FF holed below the water line in the run into the next election. The cherry on top is that they dont even see it yet. FF out of the running now, and as well as taking so much flack in the run up to an election and during it on the basis they they are a blinkered party politics obsessed group of people unable to work for the greater good of the country, have now written themselves out of a future coallition of any sort.

Quite a masterstroke from Leo, who into the bargain will be seen as the innocent party here, stabbed in the back by opportunists. Not the type of people anybody wants in government.

Interesting to see where those FF seats will split now, with the added freeing up of a good bunch of those currently wasted on independents, meaning there will be an interesting realignment in the coming months. Could a side effect be, a resurgence of Lab ?

And truly audacious from Leo. Interesting times. Interesting times.

After this fiasco that would be a bet where you would get very short odds I`d imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Leo is seriously damaged among the FG support -he was never that popular to begin with, they wanted coveney- and the parliamentary party would take or leave him after the last few days

And it's only gonna get worse for him!!

All spin and spoof. Plus another adjective which was widely used today; 'inexperienced'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

Quite a masterstroke from Leo, who into the bargain will be seen as the innocent party here, stabbed in the back by opportunists. Not the type of people anybody wants in government.

You really do know how to polish a turd don't you.

Leo's authority has been irreparably damaged after this debacle. The fact that he misinformed the Dáil not once but twice, was not a masterstroke, but either criminal negligence, or complete and utter ineptitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Consonata wrote: »
    You really do know how to polish a turd don't you.

Leo's authority has been irreparably damaged after this debacle. The fact that he misinformed the Dáil not once but twice, was not a masterstroke, but either criminal negligence, or complete and utter ineptitude.

On the face of it, it was a calculated gambit, with an element of risk all right. But FF caught the bait, and he is now sitting very pretty. Fortune favours the brave.

Journalists are referencing it all day. Especially the cabinet meeting this morning.

Mythically party members are all one team, it is never like that in reality.
    FG completely shattered the law and order tag this week.

The FG grassroots sector that some here are implying will admire Varadkar for sticking with Fitzgerald as in "my friend, right or wrong", are the same sector that are so proud of FG as the law and order party.

That for them has now been shattered and as he wasn`t there first choice in the first place so has rating certainly gone up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

In the next general election I'm not going to vote.
    First time ever.
    But I can't in good conscious vote for a single politician or would be politician.
    I despair of this country and those running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hahaha
    Anyone who thinks Leo has pulled some masterstroke is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

On the face of it, it was a calculated gambit, with an element of risk all right. But FF caught the bait, and he is now sitting very pretty. Fortune favours the brave.

So Leo takes a dive in the polls due to incompetence and thats to be seen as fortuitous?

• Advertisement

Prime Time with two ministers from essentially the same party FFFG on to discuss this. Ridiculous really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,998 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In the next general election I'm not going to vote.
    First time ever.
    But I can't in good conscious vote for a single politician or would be politician.
    I despair of this country and those running it.

You do know that not voting makes it less likely that things will change because the rabid party followers will always come out.

I intend voting but I will ask any politician who comes to my door to give me a 30 second synopsis of their view of events such as this, Irish water, healthcare, etc.

I will vote based on how they answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Prime Time with two ministers from essentially the same party FFFG on to discuss this. Ridiculous really.

They are the only people that matter really, as it will be one of them running the country next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,998 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Water John wrote: »
    Blanch, your predictions over the last few days have been well off the mark.
    Not going to Leopardstown with you.

I think you should but, you know, pick the other horse.

Leo playing this even more astutely than I thought.

Going for the longer game. FF holed below the water line in the run into the next election. The cherry on top is that they dont even see it yet. FF out of the running now, and as well as taking so much flack in the run up to an election and during it on the basis they they are a blinkered party politics obsessed group of people unable to work for the greater good of the country, have now written themselves out of a future coallition of any sort.

Interesting to see where those FF seats will split now, with the added freeing up of a good bunch of those currently wasted on independents, meaning there will be an interesting realignment in the coming months. Could a side effect be, a resurgence of Lab ?

And truly audacious from Leo. Interesting times. Interesting times.

Load of cobblers

Who the hell thinks Varadkar is the innocent party?

And If you think FF are more damaged than FG over this debacle you are severely disillusioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement