Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frances Fitzgerald controversy. Are we heading for an election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Varadkar is dancing to a piper we don't know about IMO. Politically, he has played this like a chump. He had the backing of the party to sack her, but given ample time, didn't.
    Deeply suspicious that his hands are tied. Sending in Simon Harris to frantically coach her in the Dail deepens the suspicion. Really odd.

There is your conspiracy theory, and then there are three rational explanations for what Varadkar is at.

(1) FG praise her all weekend, defend her to the hilt, just before the vote she resigns as a Minister, and FG spend the time praising her for putting the country first while contrasting that with the self-interested posturing of FF and SF.

(2) Same as above but she only resigns as Tanaiste (wording of motion is key) not as Minister in a move choreographed with FF

(3) Leo wants an election

Those are the three cards he has in his hand, I think he is playing for (2) but will go for (3) if he has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is your conspiracy theory, and then there are three rational explanations for what Varadkar is at.

(1) FG praise her all weekend, defend her to the hilt, just before the vote she resigns as a Minister, and FG spend the time praising her for putting the country first while contrasting that with the self-interested posturing of FF and SF.

(2) Same as above but she only resigns as Tanaiste (wording of motion is key) not as Minister in a move choreographed with FF

(3) Leo wants an election

Those are the three cards he has in his hand, I think he is playing for (2) but will go for (3) if he has to.

All 3 are chumpsville IMO.
    This would be over now and fading from memory had he sacked her after he corrected the record.

Leo has not shown that he is a leader. Self publicist maybe, but Coveney may be the best leader they never had yet.
    P

All 3 are chumpsville IMO.
    This would be over now and fading from memory had he sacked her after he corrected the record.

Leo has not shown that he is a leader. Self publicist maybe, but Coveney may be the best leader they never had yet.
    P

That is only your opinion.

Leo doesn't crumble like Enda, so he is letting this play out to take the high moral ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

charlie14 wrote: »
    There is a very simple solution to this.
    Varadkar doing what FG TD`s expected him to do for a week by their avoidance of support for Fitzgerald, due to at best her incompetence never mind having him mislead the Dail and having to apologise for doing so.
    Sack her if she will not resign.

From all his waffling this evening on RTE news, his only reason for keeping her came across that he doesn`t want to sack her because it would give some satisfaction to SF and FF.
    That is the national sabotage as far as I`m concerned.

This email thingy doesn't set the sacking bar for either incompetence nor simply to appease the ludicrous political point scoring between SF and FF. The email simply doesn't have the explosive content necessary to warrant it. Varadkar has judged correctly that his position should be above childish political expediency.

FG TD's aren't worried about an election. They got punished at the last election and the government has performed better since, so they aren't likely to lose much if any. So really this whole sideshow is all about the distribution of seats between SF and FF. As much as RTE would like to suggest he would be to blame for an election, he knows who people will actually blame and why.

Leo doesn't crumble like Enda, so he is letting this play out to take the high moral ground.

Leo has achieved very little in his career so far.

You are only expressing an 'opinion' too. Unless you are Leo.

Leo has achieved very little in his career so far.

You are only expressing an 'opinion' too. Unless you are Leo.

Indeed, that is all I am doing, but I am always happy to nail my colours to the mast:

https://greenparty.ie/news/greens-call-on-fianna-fail-and-sinn-fein-to-postpone-confidence-motions-until-the-new-year/

"The other alternative would be for both Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin to postpone their motions of confidence until the New Year.

“Such an approach would not undermine their arguments or avoid the taking of such a vote but it would allow us to complete the first phase of the Brexit talks with a better negotiating position.

“We contacted both Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin this afternoon to put forward this proposal. We hope they might agree to such an approach in advance of the Dáil returning on Tuesday, so that one way or another a Christmas election is avoided.”"

An eminently suitable proposal from the Greens. Unfortunately, the two parties of SF and FF are more interested in blood on the floor than in the country itself.

But to answer your question, Leo has achieved far more in his political career than anyone from SF or Solidarity. They haven't been near government and have had no chance to influence anything.

Indeed, that is all I am doing, but I am always happy to nail my colours to the mast:

https://greenparty.ie/news/greens-call-on-fianna-fail-and-sinn-fein-to-postpone-confidence-motions-until-the-new-year/

"The other alternative would be for both Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin to postpone their motions of confidence until the New Year.

“Such an approach would not undermine their arguments or avoid the taking of such a vote but it would allow us to complete the first phase of the Brexit talks with a better negotiating position.

“We contacted both Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin this afternoon to put forward this proposal. We hope they might agree to such an approach in advance of the Dáil returning on Tuesday, so that one way or another a Christmas election is avoided.”"

An eminently suitable proposal from the Greens. Unfortunately, the two parties of SF and FF are more interested in blood on the floor than in the country itself.

But to answer your question, Leo has achieved far more in his political career than anyone from SF or Solidarity. They haven't been near government and have had no chance to influence anything.

Leo has been leader for a wet week and his government is crumbling. Fact.

Leo has been leader for a wet week and his government is crumbling. Fact.

Opinion only.

This crisis has a way to go yet, and I think the second two of the three options I have suggested are the most likely outcomes.

Coming from the Dublin West constituency, I know Leo Varadkar well, and he is a formidable man.

Opinion only.

This crisis has a way to go yet, and I think the second two of the three options I have suggested are the most likely outcomes.

Coming from the Dublin West constituency, I know Leo Varadkar well, and he is a formidable man.

Yep. Formidable management of clear incompetence
    With maybe on a good day 55 TDs who will he form the Nextel government with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

blanch152 wrote:

So it should be easy for you to outline what he has achieved. I asked this question already of a FG supporter still waiting for an answer. Your turn.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So it should be easy for you to outline what he has achieved. I asked this question already of a FG supporter still waiting for an answer. Your turn.

I'm all ears on this one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What ever about the spat between FF and FG its funny that the Shinners have been left in the dust, we are at an inflection point now with the Shinners and the only way is down in my opinion.

I'm all ears on this one too.

Hitman3000 wrote:

The obvious answer is that SF and solidarity haven't achieved anything so it's not hard to set a baseline.

The SF contribution to peace in NI was just to get back to normality after thousands dead. The AAA/PPP achievement is to block property investment in water infrastructure.

Not hard targets to beat by any measure.

The obvious answer is that SF and solidarity haven't achieved anything so it's not hard to set a baseline.

Deflection
    The SF contribution to peace in NI was just to get back to normality after thousands dead. The AAA/PPP achievement is to block property investment in water infrastructure.

Deflection

As above inability to answer the question posed.No surprise really.

Yes, Hard to argue here. When there are now thousands of homeless, which is really the responsibility of Local Authorities, the areas where the Shinners are in power, we have seen homelessness go up the most. Coincidence?

Will anyone now admit that reducing property tax by 15% in DCC was a major mistake, depriving the council of funds needed to house the homeless and build local authority housing?

What is the record of the Shinners, in all of this? No government in the North of the best part of a year, local authorities overseeing a massive rise in homelessness, and a new leader more interested in storming out of the Dail in a huff than getting down to business and creating solutions.

The expectation that Sinn Fein will go on and upwards now that their cult like leader Adams have left, but I think their followers will be in for a shock come the next election when they will remain where they are at best and will all in likelihood lose seats.

The revolution will indeed be televised, somewhere in West Belfast when they figure out what they are about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yep. Formidable management of clear incompetence

Yeah but then one looks at what is on offer from the rest. I have to be honest, FG do come across as the more competent.

markodaly wrote:
    Yes, Hard to argue here. When there are now thousands of homeless, which is really the responsibility of Local Authorities, the areas where the Shinners are in power, we have seen homelessness go up the most. Coincidence?

FG screws up and it's all the fault of the Shinners. lol.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    FG screws up and it's all the fault of the Shinners. lol.

It is funny that anytime someone levels criticism at SF, we get the retort of but FG, as if that alone is enough for people to vote for them. I am glad they do this as it will mean they will be out of power for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That isn't an answer at all, you actually didn't even mention Leo or indeed FG in that post.

Incredible that you think your answer is a sufficient response to the question.

Are you actually serious like?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

markodaly wrote: »
    It is funny that anytime someone levels criticism at SF, we get the retort of but FG, as if that alone is enough for people to vote for them. I am glad they do this as it will mean they will be out of power for a while yet.

This is of course to ignore the fact that someone asked about Leo's achievements and was responded with talk of Sinn Fein, AAA and Solidarity :rolleyes:

The very definition of someone leveling criticism at FG and getting but SF as an answer, hilariously you fail to see the irony in that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

markodaly wrote: »

Will anyone now admit that reducing property tax by 15% in DCC was a major mistake, depriving the council of funds needed to house the homeless and build local authority housing?

What is the record of the Shinners, in all of this? No government in the North of the best part of a year, local authorities overseeing a massive rise in homelessness, and a new leader more interested in storming out of the Dail in a huff than getting down to business and creating solutions.

The expectation that Sinn Fein will go on and upwards now that their cult like leader Adams have left, but I think their followers will be in for a shock come the next election when they will remain where they are at best and will all in likelihood lose seats.

The revolution will indeed be televised, somewhere in West Belfast when they figure out what they are about.

Do you really think the incompetent councils would build more houses if they had more money? They do virtually nothing but take big salaries and could not even inspect rental properties in every/any county in Ireland. When the price of properties plummeted post 2008 the County Councils could have acquired thousands of houses for half nothing. The did nothing. They never had to deal with social issues in the past or even plan for the communities they are supposed to serve, they are not going to start now.

Hitman3000 wrote:
    Deflection

Hitman3000 wrote:
    Deflection

Hitman3000 wrote:
    As above inability to answer the question posed.No surprise really.

Are you actually serious like?

I think I've touched upon some sensitivities.

It's a simple fact that SF and the AAA have only achieved negative effects. They've set the bar so low that by simply not being a corpse, anyone can do better.

Leo's personal contribution is marked by a positive sentiment for Ireland. Ironically this puts him in the same bracket as Gerry, who by leaving day to day politics will equally create a sentiment of moving forward.

But the most positive contribution that Leo has made is that he replaced Enda. How's that for deflection...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There are far more serious issues for this country than a forgotten email.

You wouldn't be saying this if it was a SF or FF minister that "forgot" an email. ;)

You'd be signing a very different tune altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

To answer the OPs question. No. He will be re-elected Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Something like 19 days from crunch brexit talks and we're going on about having a general election!!

Whatever about the scandalous mess in the Gardai, this is absolutely crazy and could be handled without trying to collapse the government.

flaneur wrote: »
    Something like 19 days from crunch brexit talks and we're going on about having a general election!!

Whatever about the scandalous mess in the Gardai, this is absolutely crazy and could be handled without trying to collapse the government.

Or by getting rid of the problem...an, at best, incompetent minister.

FG have to take their share of the blame, unless you are saying we should all look the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah good old FF throwing the country under the bus again to further their own ends. What do we do expect given their current leader sat in the cabinet that destroyed our economy and sold us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gandalf wrote:
    Ah good old FF throwing the country under the bus again to further their own ends. What do we do expect given their current leader sat in the cabinet that destroyed our economy and sold us out.

I'm not aligned with any party. But I think a global financial crash and cowboy behaviour by some (all?) banks bear more responsibility for what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could someone explain this to me. Why would the passing of a no confidence motion trigger an election? Why does it not just trigger the impeachment of the Táiniste and the existing party just elect in a new one? Is it written in the rules or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone explain this to me. Why would the passing of a no confidence motion trigger an election? Why does it not just trigger the impeachment of the Táiniste and the existing party just elect in a new one? Is it written in the rules or something?

It's because FF are propping up FG in government in an arrangement based upon voting with FG. Voting against FG could lead to FG deciding to dissolve government.

Of course they could just do what they should do and that is relieve an incompetent minister of her position and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s funny that the OP has led to “FF ruined the country”, “what have the shiners done” and so on...

Party supporters (akin to following a religion blindly) trying to deflect attention from the issue. All parties in Ireland will follow a mantra of looking out for themselves at the expense of the electorate. All parties will f**k each other and everybody else over if they think the party will benefit.

Can anybody give a reasonable reason why anybody feels no action needs to be taken? As I understand it, Fitz was made aware of the tactics being used to try and destroy the credibility and possibly life of a person looking out for the greater good. Look at the advertisement on domestic abuse stating if you know it’s going on, report it, why should our politicians not follow the same principle if they know a family (you target one person of a family all become collateral damage) are being targeted in this manner?

I don’t know why we should accept this sort of practice or moral compass in a high elected position in politics. The mere fact that it’s seen as a “non sackable incident” by our Leader tells us a lot about his own ethical leanings.

Drumpot wrote:
    Can anybody give a reasonable reason why anybody feels no action needs to be taken? As I understand it, Fitz was made aware of the tactics being used to try and destroy the credibility and possibly life of a person looking out for the greater good. Look at the advertisement on domestic abuse stating if you know it’s going on, report it, why should our politicians not follow the same principle if they know a family (you target one person of a family all become collateral damage) are being targeted in this manner?

Where we are now, I think action needs to be taken because to not do so would keep the vocal objectors in SF and FF inflamed and will lead to a ridiculous election at a time when Brexit should be a large focus of the government.

However, if Francis had said at the start that she received x number of emails a day and had either not seen this (even though it had been marked read) or had seen it and misinterpreted it then while it wouldn't have showed her in a good life I wouldn't be advocating that she be sacked over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

This is about more than Francis Fitzgerald. I work in a government department. Whether you think Maurice Mccabe is right/wrong in his approach he has shone a light into a deep cancer in Irish society. What has gone on in the Gardai and the dept of Justice is a mirror as to how all departments work. The unwrittten rule is-'don't embarrass the minister'. Fat cat civil servants -mainly secretary generals and their cronies run this country. They decide what lives/dies and what is made public in relation to all sorts of things including crime. Many have seen countless ministers come and go. Serving 40 years in power- nobody knows their names or who they are.They are answerable to nobody and the name of the game is 'dont rock the boat'. Ive seen people destroyed for trying to expose wrongdoing that would expose a minister to heat out in Europe. Ive a real sense that the public know that this was a cast iron conspiracy between the guards,the department of justice and the minister . The plan was as ive said-'not to rock the boat'. Theyre caught now and everyone is running for cover. I hope this election is a vote for a 'beginning of the end ' for the way we run our society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I hope this election is a vote for a 'beginning of the end ' for the way we run our society.

Sadly I don't think it will be, I suspect very little will actually change and it's hard to know what will cause that change

This is about more than Francis Fitzgerald. I work in a government department. Whether you think Maurice Mccabe is right/wrong in his approach he has shone a light into a deep cancer in Irish society. What has gone on in the Gardai and the dept of Justice is a mirror as to how all departments work. The unwrittten rule is-'don't embarrass the minister'. Fat cat civil servants -mainly secretary generals and their cronies run this country. They decide what lives/dies and what is made public in relation to all sorts of things including crime. Many have seen countless ministers come and go. Serving 40 years in power- nobody knows their names or who they are.They are answerable to nobody and the name of the game is 'dont rock the boat'. Ive seen people destroyed for trying to expose wrongdoing that would expose a minister to heat out in Europe. Ive a real sense that the public know that this was a cast iron conspiracy between the guards,the department of justice and the minister . The plan was as ive said-'not to rock the boat'. Theyre caught now and everyone is running for cover. I hope this election is a vote for a 'beginning of the end ' for the way we run our society.

The BBC documentarys "Yes Minister" and "The Thick of it" should be mandatory viewing for anyone who wants to know how government really works.

They're satirical comedies but closer to a documentary in the case of the 2nd one I suspect.

What that program also shows is that every layer of society, there are some whose primary focus is their own self interest.

People give out about the government handling of Maurice McCabe, what about the 13,000 Gardai colleagues he had? If our society truly, collectively believes he was treated unfairly, the Gardai would have threatened a blue flu day to support him. But no. Silence.

Wanderer78 wrote:
    Sadly I don't think it will be, I suspect very little will actually change and it's hard to know what will cause that change

Maybe this could be a small step on the road to the necessary changes in attitude and behaviour.

Thing is though, all these bodies, departments, groups are made up from "Us". It sounds very Disneyish but we all need to look at our behaviour and ask ourselves are we demanding a higher standard from others than we hold for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Spot on Straffan.

Just read this article from O'Toole. He makes the excellent point here that so far this is all cover up and no crime.

Fintan O'Toole: If the Government is innocent why is it acting so guilty?

Worth the read.
    To grasp the sheer weirdness of the current political crisis, it is best to recall an experience that most parents have had at some stage. You walk into a room and your five-year-old looks up at you with a panicked expression: “It wasn’t me! I didn’t do it!”

But you can’t see any obvious damage, any evidence of a childish crime. And however hard you press, all the kid will say is “It wasn’t me! I didn’t do it.”

The Government is protesting its innocence but acting guilty – and it’s not at all clear precisely what it is guilty of. It is a bizarre way to cause a general election that nobody really wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Spot on Straffan.

Just read this article from O'Toole. He makes the excellent point here that so far this is all cover up and no crime.

Fintan O'Toole: If the Government is innocent why is it acting so guilty?

Worth the read.

Shure what is one man and his reputation compared to keeping the integrity of the rotten system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Nobody wants to rock the boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Shure what is one man and his reputation compared to keeping the integrity of the rotten system.

I like his closing note.
    If the Government does fall, the show will at least have the merit of ironic originality. We are used to guilty politicians getting away with murder by acting innocent. This will be the first time a government has come to grief because it has acted guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm listening from Sean o Rourke from yesterday, and is John deasy recovered from his performance yesterday ? He was just short of storming out of the studio.

Also another point that people may not have realised is that I don't think all parties have selected candidates to run in an Election. There have been some but I don't think it anywhere near complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Where we are now, I think action needs to be taken because to not do so would keep the vocal objectors in SF and FF inflamed and will lead to a ridiculous election at a time when Brexit should be a large focus of the government.

However, if Francis had said at the start that she received x number of emails a day and had either not seen this (even though it had been marked read) or had seen it and misinterpreted it then while it wouldn't have showed her in a good life I wouldn't be advocating that she be sacked over it.

It`s not quite that simple.

It has now come to light that the email was sent by the assistant secretary general of the Department of Justice on the basis of a conversation with the deputy director general of the Office of the Attorney General advising Fitzgerald of an attempt by the Garda Commissioner O`Sullivan to introduce a "serious criminal charge" against McCabe at the O`Higgins inquiry.
    The same email was sent to Fitzgerald`s two special advisors, Fitzgerald`s private secretary as well as the assistant general secretary of her Dept and her Dept general secretary.
    For anyone to attempt to forward the argument that nobody saw the significance of this email and didn`t make Fitzgerald aware of it, even if she herself was to incompetent to see it, is seriously stretching credibility.

She simply sat on her hands, not even instructing her own legal team at the O`Higgins inquiry to question the Garda Commissioner`s attempts to malign McCabe or disassociate herself from the attempt, but instead when it was shown to be a pack of lies, Fitzgerald still continued to give her full backing to her Garda Commissioner on the fallout while clearly knowing what she did.

Not only did Fitzgerald show, best case scenario, incompetence for which she should be sacked alone, she then compounded it by having Varadkar give a false statement to the Dail on when she received the email, for which he subsequently had to apologise for when corrected by an opposition spokesperson.
    Varadkar is as much to blame for all of this as Fitzgerald is at this stage.
    He should have told her straight after that Dail climbdown resign or be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

charlie14 wrote: »
    It`s not quite that simple.

It has now come to light that the email was sent by the assistant secretary general of the Department of Justice on the basis of a conversation with the deputy director general of the Office of the Attorney General advising Fitzgerald of an attempt by the Garda Commissioner O`Sullivan to introduce a "serious criminal charge" against McCabe at the O`Higgins inquiry.
    The same email was sent to Fitzgerald`s two special advisors, Fitzgerald`s private secretary as well as the assistant general secretary of her Dept and her Dept general secretary.
    For anyone to attempt to forward the argument that nobody saw the significance of this email and didn`t make Fitzgerald aware of it, even if she herself was to incompetent to see it, is seriously stretching credibility.

She simply sat on her hands, not even instructing her own legal team at the O`Higgins inquiry to question the Garda Commissioner`s attempts to malign McCabe or disassociate herself from the attempt, but instead when it was shown to be a pack of lies, Fitzgerald still continued to give her full backing to her Garda Commissioner on the fallout while clearly knowing what she did.

Not only did Fitzgerald show, best case scenario, incompetence for which she should be sacked alone, she then compounded it by having Varadkar give a false statement to the Dail on when she received the email, for which he subsequently had to apologise for when corrected by an opposition spokesperson.
    Varadkar is as much to blame for all of this as Fitzgerald is at this stage.
    He should have told her straight after that Dail climbdown resign or be sacked.

He cant seem to gauge public opinion on this. Not sacking her will be the rock he'll perish on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

gandalf wrote: »

That's a typical fine gael supporter response. Fine gael didn't do much different and if anything were worse when they came to power.

If fine gael were really concerned about throwing the country under the bus they would tell francis fitzgerald to resign and the prospect of a general election would be gone. Instead they are standing by her so that will tell you where their priorities lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And the bauld Noirin escapes scott free from this mess?

And get a brand new job (cops on the whole seem to stick together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

gandalf wrote: »

I'm afraid your wrong. Most of them were in bed when the two brians did it, and left the best financial brains in the country the ntma (who would'nt put money into anglo because they thought it was dodgy) outside the door.

joeysoap wrote: »
    And the bauld Noirin escapes scott free from this mess?

And get a brand new job (cops on the whole seem to stick together)
    Scott free and a new job with a nice few pound on top of her pension. She's laughing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The moral high ground being the backing of a Minister in his government that sat on her hands when informed of the Garda Commisioner`s attempt at smearing McCabe with a pack of lies in a government established inquiry.
    A Minister who subsequently gave her full backing to said Commisioner after the lies were exposed and further compounded all that by making Varadkar look a fool by informing the Dail that she,( plus her two special advisors, her private secretary,and both the assistant secretary general and secretary general of her Department btw) didn`t recieve this email until after the attempted smear at the O`Higgins inquiry.

Very low boggy moral ground for Varadkar there I`m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He cant seem to gauge public opinion on this. Not sacking her will be the rock he'll perish on.

No need to worry.. he's got that 5 million quid to spend rebuilding his image..

• Advertisement
Advertisement