Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Swift, Croke Park, June 15/16th 2018 **No ticket sales / requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Gal44 wrote: »
    Did anyone bring a backpack with them? I want to bring a little kiddie one for my daughter to keep her coat spare hoodie etc

I think that the little kiddie ones would be fine. I saw a couple of those!

I was cold in just a denim jacket on the pitch. Definitely bring extra stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Carol25 wrote: »
    Someone obviously doesn't like it when they were wrong about the gig being a 'disaster'/ 'bad atmosphere' / etc. I can defend what are obviously ridiculous criticisms of visuals, etc if I want and if I think someone is trolling this thread, which plenty are talking through their backside, I will call them out also. Were you at the show? Why are you even quoting and messaging me? Enjoy it tonight if you're going :)

I'm not messaging you, I quoted you because I was responding to your post. It's how a forum works. I certainly won't be going tonight, not my cup of tea at all but my son had friends in class that were there last night and seemingly they had a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

loopymum wrote: »
    I won 4 free tickets in pitch standing but I'm taking my 10 year old and 13 year old. How strict were they in over 14s in the pitch standing area? My tickets do have numbers on the though. Eg. G6 120

I was in the premium seats looking down on standing section and I seen a couple of toddlers on the pitch, as young as 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Troll alert! Completely untrue, this is miles better than the Stones and others you mentioned. I had a great night, It’s an excellent show, one of the best I’ve been at in Croke Park and you can troll away to your hearts content! Enjoy it tonight everyone!

different opinion doesnt mean troll..
    wow Tay Swift fans are really defensive.. it's scary..

in general looking forward to tonight! all reviews have been positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Carol25

bennyl10 wrote: »
    different opinion doesnt mean troll..
    wow Tay Swift fans are really defensive.. it's scary..

in general looking forward to tonight! all reviews have been positive!

Hope you survive Croke Park tonight with all the 'scary' Taylor fans! :):cool::P

• Advertisement

Hope you survive Croke Park tonight with all the 'scary' Taylor fans! :):cool::P

i certainly won't be sating any show in the world could be better than it anyway :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Cheapest tickets over €100 on viagogo now, was thinking could stroll into this for free based on what people were saying here yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

There'll be free tickets aplenty outside croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Would there be, really? I was at it with my daughter last night. Would love my sons to go - it was such a good show. If I thought I could get my hands on three free tickets i’d head over with them. But wouldn’t do it unless it was a completely sure thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

from who touts who cant sell? or just try walk up to box office

• Advertisement

Touts will be selling them dirt cheap
    There will be people who won 4 and didn't have 4 people to go and will just turn up with the spares to see if anyone needs tickets. Anecdotally I heard guards and the women selling burgers were giving out free tickets last . night.

Definitely worth chancing your arm.

You've nothing to lose from.heading over and scoping it out so anyone living within driving distance id head over and you should get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Taylor in action last night
    IMAG13803_zps4bvjwwrg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I bought 2 seated tickets for 40 each on adverts off someone who won them, if it wasn't my wife and 8yo going I would have chanced heading down and reckon you could definitely score some free or very cheap tickets, there seems to be masses going round and a huge amount given away in various competitions, I think 2 nights in Croker exceeded the demand to see Taylor unlike when she played the 3 Arena a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Mr.S wrote: »
    Judging from all the photos / videos, Croke Park looks pretty full tonight!

Do they still release the official entrance numbers for CP events?

It's a "pity" it sold poorly, last nights show has gotten pretty good reviews all round. Still think it would have been better in the Aviva.

We will probably get attendance and gross in a week or 2. Wonder if they count the free tickets as an actual sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was there last night with one of the kids - went in to pick up 6 tickets for our group (arranged through the Girl Guides) and they gave me 10, I probably could have asked for 30. Turned out to be for the premium level.

Having said that the atmosphere was still great (I'd say the place was 60-70% full), parts of the show were spectacular, others were a bit dull (I could have done without the acoustic interlude and her bland between song blather). Particularly impressed with the wristbands that lit up in time with the music - really looked great around the stands as the evening went on. Also they had the football on in the bar :)

Right, despite my earlier statements, I went with herself tonight, not knowing a lot of T.Swift,
    But it was absolutely stunning.. truly phenomenal show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was going tonight anyway, but when the reports started coming in from last night, I was even more enthusiastic about it. I thought it was excellent. While the acoustic songs run the risk of being lost in a stadium, and the life philosophy pep talks are unnecessary (I'm curious at what point she'll ditch those, if indeed she ever will), there's no disputing the scale of the production. Every cent is writ large on the stage.
    But is this a Catch-22? You get this massive spectacle, but it'll cost you, and then consequently, sales aren't as good. I don't know.
    I will say I honestly don't think I've ever been at a stadium show before where I felt any vantage point would have been fine. The size of the screens and the way they use them is very effective and provides a constant barrage of imagery to focus upon.
    It's nice that Shake It Off and Blank Space are performed on the satellite stages. Her efforts to move around the stadium and perform to other areas - and I know she's not the only act to do that - are to be applauded. The finale of This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things was superb.
    Judging it as a stadium pop extravaganza, it's a triumph. Now, while I'm familiar with her back catalogue and knew everything she played, the songs don't connect with me in any significant way, so it wouldn't have the same "emotional impact" (if that doesn't sound too grandiose) as some of my other favourite concerts of 2018 to date, but that doesn't mean I can't praise it for what it is. Superb stuff.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I was going tonight anyway, but when the reports started coming in from last night, I was even more enthusiastic about it. I thought it was excellent. While the acoustic songs run the risk of being lost in a stadium, and the life philosophy pep talks are unnecessary (I'm curious at what point she'll ditch those, if indeed she ever will), there's no disputing the scale of the production. Every cent is writ large on the stage.
    But is this a Catch-22? You get this massive spectacle, but it'll cost you, and then consequently, sales aren't as good. I don't know.
    I will say I honestly don't think I've ever been at a stadium show before where I felt any vantage point would have been fine. The size of the screens and the way they use them is very effective and provides a constant barrage of imagery to focus upon.
    It's nice that Shake It Off and Blank Space are performed on the satellite stages. Her efforts to move around the stadium and perform to other areas - and I know she's not the only act to do that - are to be applauded. The finale of This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things was superb.
    Judging it as a stadium pop extravaganza, it's a triumph. Now, while I'm familiar with her back catalogue and knew everything she played, the songs don't connect with me in any significant way, so it wouldn't have the same "emotional impact" (if that doesn't sound too grandiose) as some of my other favourite concerts of 2018 to date, but that doesn't mean I can't praise it for what it is. Superb stuff.

Excellent review. Just back myself after taking my 2 kids. Sure I don’t fit her target demographic and her music wouldn’t really have been my bag but that was one amazing show. If many of the people in attendance were on freebies and weren’t fans before, I’d imagine many of them will be after tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've just finished my Chinese I picked up on the way home, so not only is my tummy full, but I'm also chuffed at such a great gig. I managed to get 4 free tickets at about 5 o'clock, so all very last minute, but my 11 year old daughter was ecstatic. Great seats, great sets, great singing, pretty much everything made it well worth the trip. With Fathers day tomorrow, or rather later today, this will be a weekend to remember!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Here's a terrible picture from last night that gives a fair idea of the crowd. There were some empty seats but it wasn't too noticeable especially after it got dark and everyones wristbands were lit up.

I think I preferred last night to Friday - seemed like a better atmosphere and Tay dropping a few words of Irish was <3.

Obviously, there were lots of freebies going around - what percentage we are unlikely to ever know for sure - but I would agree that it certainly did not look like an "empty stadium." There were pockets of unused seats all around the place, but they were all but unnoticeable when the darkness descended and the wristbands lit up. The place almost seemed pretty full, at a glance.
    There was a great atmosphere last night. Some of that could be attributed to the novelty of people getting in either for free or for a heavily reduced price, but there was no sense that she was performing to a significant portion of a stadium that were only there as competition winners, and hence - potentially - not familiar enough with the material to appreciate her. She deserved better than that, and thankfully, it wasn't the case.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

A few people have said "she deserved better" in this thread now, which is pretty funny. Im sure she's crushed knowing she only made X million for her 2 nights instead of X+1 million! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Glad everyone enjoyed the shows and all that but for me I still can't get over the fact they had the hard brass neck to roll into Croke Park for two nights and not even bother to construct proper stadium set pieces.

I'm worried that this approach of screens faking it for sets could lower the bar for stadium shows across the board in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

JaMarcus wrote: »
    A few people have said "she deserved better" in this thread now, which is pretty funny. Im sure she's crushed knowing she only made X million for her 2 nights instead of X+1 million! :pac:

She’ll have made her full fee regardless of the sales. It’ll be MCD that will have taken the hit on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Glad everyone enjoyed the shows and all that but for me I still can't get over the fact they had the hard brass neck to roll into Croke Park for two nights and not even bother to construct proper stadium set pieces.

I'm worried that this approach of screens faking it for sets could lower the bar for stadium shows across the board in the future”

what’s the problem with screens? Just a different (and in this instance, very effective) approach i’d have thought?

JaMarcus wrote: »

What I really mean is that the show is going to work better with a full house, as much for the audience's sake as anything, since there's obviously going to be a better atmosphere. It's not so much about Taylor personally cleaning up (which she would anyway, regardless of numbers), but the effort gone into the staging.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting thread, though unfortunately he didn't post it as a thread, so you have to click back to his profile to follow

https://twitter.com/byjimcarroll/status/1008331022478594050?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Carol25

Interesting thread, though unfortunately he didn't post it as a thread, so you have to click back to his profile to follow

https://twitter.com/byjimcarroll/status/1008331022478594050?s=19

What exactly does this mean? Both nights were full. Whether through people that paid or people that won tickets. It was seated on the pitch and a smaller standing area, which is what you’re looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What exactly does this mean? Both nights were full. Whether through people that paid or people that won tickets. It was seated on the pitch and a smaller standing area, which is what you’re looking at.

Did you read the full thread?

Advertisement