Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Swift, Croke Park, June 15/16th 2018 **No ticket sales / requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

if TS had only 5-10k unsold, no-one would have really taken too much notice.
    it's a big talking point because it was far less than that, and the promoters had to resort to giving away tens of thousands of free tickets to make the place look OK.

if clubs and groups all over the country were getting 100 free tickets each for the Rolling Stones, it would have been a big talking point too.

How were those tickets distributed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I've been around a while :) the show was great if you expected a poptastic experience.. If you wanted something deeper then maybe not the one to go to.. Seems to be a view that cause the stadium wasnt full both nights concert ruined.. Made no difference to us.. It is what it is.. It's like going to the movies for a rom com versus an Oscar movie.. You can enjoy both for what they are.. Well at least I can :)

Give me Taylor Swift over a boring Adele concert or whoever else would be considered Oscar type :) but as you say each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Carol25 wrote: »
    I’m curious, what if the Stones had booked the two nights and failed to sell out the second, and Taylor had to apply for permission for her night...would you have the same attitude towards them? And is this why you were giving untrue and inaccurate reviews of the show eg threadbare visuals? And alternative agenda perhaps here?

Enough of your histrionics. I post here regularly about gigs of all genres.

There's no "agenda" - the show I saw at the weekend was tat compared to other stadium and arena shows I've seen in recent years.

The marketing gave the impression it would be a big and more grown up spectacle like Beyoncé 's "Formation" and reflecting TS's recent material. On that level it was a misfire and disappointing.

I couldn't believe they had no proper set, just those screens. And the visuals were rambling and incoherent.

The two supports were surprisingly excellent. No easy feat.

TS's show then started off well. The pre-show visuals warmed me up for something much better than I then saw. "Ready for It" is a great number and opened well and is strong enough for the stadium.

When it became obvious the show would be nothing more than a succession of pop dirges in hot pants, no sets of interest and cheap costuming, I zoned out.

The show had a real end-of-term school concert vibe about it. She seems a capable enough guitarist. I can't understand why she didn't pick up a proper axe at any point and give the electric guitar a whirl for any of her numbers to bring them up to stadium level.

To answer your question I would think any act wrong to book two nights if it prevented another act that would sell to get a slot.

Based on what I saw on Friday Taylor Swift is not Croke Park material and her songs not strong enough for that setting and what's worse is they didn't even bother to try.

Check out YouTube footage of tours such as ACDC Black Ice 2009, Rolling Stones Bigger Bang 2007, Kylie Minogue "Showgirl" and "Aphrodite", Robbie Williams "Take the Crown" 2013 and the last two Beyoncé tours for examples of what this tour should have been, but wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Carol25 wrote: »
    I’m curious, what if the Stones had booked the two nights and failed to sell out the second, and Taylor had to apply for permission for her night...would you have the same attitude towards them? And is this why you were giving untrue and inaccurate reviews of the show eg threadbare visuals? And alternative agenda perhaps here?

Enough of your histrionics. I post here regularly about gigs of all genres.

There's no "agenda" - the show I saw at the weekend was tat compared to other stadium and arena shows I've seen in recent years.

The marketing gave the impression it would be a big and more grown up spectacle like Beyoncé 's "Formation" and reflecting TS's recent material. On that level it was a misfire and disappointing.

I couldn't believe they had no proper set, just those screens. And the visuals were rambling and incoherent.

The two supports were surprisingly excellent. No easy feat.

TS's show then started off well. The pre-show visuals warmed me up for something much better than I then saw. "Ready for It" is a great number and opened well and is strong enough for that stadium.

When it became obvious the show would be nothing more than a succession of pop dirges in hot pants, no sets of interest and cheap costuming, I zoned out.

The show had a real end-of-term school concert vibe about it. She seems a capable enough guitarist. I can't understand why she didn't pick up a proper axe at any point and give the electric guitar a whirl for any of her numbers to bring them up to stadium level.

To answer your question I would think any act wrong to book two nights if it prevented another act that would sell to get a slot.

Based on what I saw on Friday Taylor Swift is not Croke Park material and her songs not strong enough for that setting and what's worse is they didn't even bother to try.

You sound like a right barrell of laughs to go to a gig with. Did you let the kids buy a t shirt or would that have been too much fun for one summer? The gig was amazing. One of the best gigs croke park has put on. Better than your beloved stones or chilli peppers. Don't be salty. Go back to your basement and put on your "I shagged searon osborne" t shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

You sound like a right barrell of laughs to go to a gig with. Did you let the kids buy a t shirt or would that have been too much fun for one summer? The gig was amazing. One of the best gigs croke park has put on. Better than your beloved stones or chilli peppers. Don't be salty. Go back to your basement and put on your "I shagged searon osborne" t shirt.

I'd love to have bought my daughter a feicin t shirt but couldn't get to the bloody front of the queue.. They werent giving that away for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Christ it's sad how people just refuse to accept that people didn't enjoy the show as much as they did. Get over it. If you liked it, good for you, who cares if someone else didn't, the paranoia that people have alternate agendas is embarrassing. People have different interpretations of what a good show is. I've been to sensational Take That gigs with mates that couldn't have been more bored off their tree.

Nobody wanted Taylor Swift to 'fail' or put on an awful show, people are just intrigued at what seems like the most high profile failure of an artist to sell out announced gigs and the chronic misinterpretation of demand. People were fascinated whether the stadium would fill given the high percentage of freebies. It did and good job MCD.

Sure, she draws more than most artists would dream of but the fact remains it sold abysmally. That is a fact. If any other artist did the same, people would have the same comments and fascination. The fact that it 'blocked' the straightforward having of a Rolling Stones gig is actually a talking point given that Taylor Swift couldn't sell or barely sold one Croke Park capacity.

The bottom line is that if you were there and enjoyed it, irrespective of whether you paid or got a freebie, good for you and nobody would begrudge you that. But suggesting that others can't possibly not think it was the one of the best gigs ever and are a begrudger etc, is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

Christ it's sad how people just refuse to accept that people didn't enjoy the show as much as they did. Get over it. If you liked it, good for you, who cares if someone else didn't, the paranoia that people have alternate agendas is embarrassing. People have different interpretations of what a good show is. I've been to sensational Take That gigs with mates that couldn't have been more bored off their tree.

Nobody wanted Taylor Swift to 'fail' or put on an awful show, people are just intrigued at what seems like the most high profile failure of an artist to sell out announced gigs and the chronic misinterpretation of demand. People were fascinated whether the stadium would fill given the high percentage of freebies. It did and good job MCD.

Sure, she draws more than most artists would dream of but the fact remains it sold abysmally. That is a fact. If any other artist did the same, people would have the same comments and fascination. The fact that it 'blocked' the straightforward having of a Rolling Stones gig is actually a talking point given that Taylor Swift couldn't sell or barely sold one Croke Park capacity.

The bottom line is that if you were there and enjoyed it, irrespective of whether you paid or got a freebie, good for you and nobody would begrudge you that. But suggesting that others can't possibly not think it was the one of the best gigs ever and are a begrudger etc, is sad.

You mention facts there.. Have we any links or written proof to these facts?
    I'm just curious really. I got one of my 4 tickets for free as was from adverts.. I didn't see any evidence of tickets being handed out for free Friday night... Not saying there wasn't but people are saying clubs were been given 100s of tickets to hand out for free.. Any proof of that? Makes no difference now but be nice to see.. Either way taylor isn't loosing any sleep over it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I wouldn't worry about her this tour will probably be in the top 10 grossing tours of all time. She earned $54 million from the first five cities already.

You mention facts there.. Have we any links or written proof to these facts?
    I'm just curious really. I got one of my 4 tickets for free as was from adverts.. I didn't see any evidence of tickets being handed out for free Friday night... Not saying there wasn't but people are saying clubs were been given 100s of tickets to hand out for free.. Any proof of that? Makes no difference now but be nice to see.. Either way taylor isn't loosing any sleep over it..

I won four tickets for the Friday night. Six of my friends also won four tickets over both nights (never asked which nights they were).

It was clear to anyone looking at Toutless, Viagogo, Boards, Adverts etc last week that tickets were being unleashed on the public last week in giveaways. Sure look back on this thread. Even up until three weeks before, on Ticketmaster you could still select pretty much any seat in the majority of blocks (bar a fair part of the pitch seating or pit). Clubs were giving out hundreds of tickets too. A friend who is a presenter on a national radio station based in Dublin said that the station got a block of 200 tickets to give away which to her was unheard of.

But as you said, Taylor Swift doesn't care and if those who attended enjoyed themselves, they don't care either, and nor should they! The only losers in this whole story are MCD.

I wouldn't worry about her this tour will probably be in the top 10 grossing tours of all time. She earned $54 million from the first five cities already.

Do you really think I'm worrying about her?

I couldn't give a monkeys if it was her best or worst tour. Good on her either way and I'm glad whoever attended enjoyed it, I wouldn't begrudge anyone a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hithere246

I won 4 tickets and brought my 3 kids. Before I went I said I wouldn't pay a tenner to go to see Taylor Swift. Had a blast. I think MCD did the right thing in giving away tickets.. I'd definitely have paid 300e for the family to see that show. .it was all a stadium show should be and we were well back in the Davin stand. I usually go to gigs with my mates as a blowout...now I'm a customer that will consider forking out decent money for a family day out. Well done MCD..better than looking at a half empty stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I would happily have paid full whack for all my tickets knowing what I know now.

This tour cemented one thing. Taylor is one of if not the biggest female music artist of this generation. Her status as a global music icon is now assured. This weekend in croke park was a bravura. Thank you taylor. Haters gonna hate.

I would happily have paid full whack for all my tickets knowing what I know now.

This tour cemented one thing. Taylor is one of if not the biggest female music artist of this generation. Her status as a global music icon is now assured. This weekend in croke park was a bravura. Thank you taylor. Haters gonna hate.

I think her status as a global icon was 'assured' long before she played two poorly sold gigs in a tiny country in Europe.

Glad you (and others) enjoyed the gig. That's genuinely the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

This vid doesnt look half or even 3/4 full - Looks jammers!

Also looks like a great gig!! Sat Night

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I went with the kids and paid full price and they enjoyed it . I thought the sound was patchy especially when she played solo with guitar which is a pity because I would have liked to hear what her voice was really like as the rest of the show was mainly theatre . Th one thing I will say having been to several other gigs is that I always have a tune in my head for several days after the gig . With Taylor Swift I didn’t , it’s just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Went the Friday night with a friend, we're both Taylor fans and had an absolute ball. Bought our seats the day tickets went on sale, and thought the spectacle of it was great. It was never going to be like a big rock concert (and I like those too), but for a fun pop night it was top notch. We were on the train back and couldn't stop singing the last song.

Got a phone call from my sister on the Saturday night saying she'd just bought two tickets, did I want to go again (she couldn't go Friday, she was in work). Went, and honestly Saturday was better than Friday. It was a little bit slicker, it just seemed more fun. The little girl beside me couldn't stop her jaw dropping when Taylor came to the satellite stage near us. Honestly the best use of €200 between the two nights for some damn good pop entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭threetrees

It was never going to be like a big rock concert

Exactly! Rock gigs are more my thing and imo no other live entertainment comes close to a good rock gig. But this was never going to be like that. It was a brilliant pop gig, really excellent and a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable pop gig. Well done Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

As a wise (and extremely wealthy) woman once said "Haters gonna hate hate hate....."

G'wan Taylor, ya good thing!!!!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

I honestly was surprised with the singing along to 'You Belong with me'. A lot of Taylor fans seem to replenish themselves so would have thought a lot of younger fans never heard it. Would have loved to hear 'Begin Again' live. I honestly think that is an unbelievable song and my personal favourite.
    Reputation does grow on you but is by far least memorable album of hers. Delicate acoustic is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lawred2 wrote: »
    How were those tickets distributed?
    the promoters/sponsors/stakeholders gave them out.

my brother is PRO with a small GAA club and they were given 80 by someone connected with Croke Park.

my work were given 20 by someone from MCD. I know several other friends whose workplaces were cold-called and given bundles of tickets for free. I'd imagine big well-known multi-nationals got hundreds.

my friend is manager of a bar in Meath and was given about 50 by a Diageo rep last week.

I know a nurse at Vincents hospital and loads of them were given free tickets, don't know by who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Enough of your histrionics. I post here regularly about gigs of all genres..

Could you be anymore condescending ?
    Music snob tells everyone that enjoyed a Pop show that they were wrong to enjoy the Pop Show because it wasn't "Croke Park material " ?!?!?
    MCD booked the 2 nights, NOT taylor swift..
    So she needed to shred like Slash to get her show to stadium level ? :rolleyes::confused: Good god woman , you have some notions of what a good show needs to make people enjoy it..........
    I actually think you are just trolling at this stage, because with those notions , you couldn't be serious !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

greenspurs wrote: »
    Music snob tells everyone that enjoyed a Pop show that they were wrong to enjoy the Pop Show because it wasn't "Croke Park material " ?!?!?
    So she needed to shred like Slash to get her show to stadium level ? :rolleyes::confused: Good god woman , you have some notions of what a good show needs to make people enjoy it..........
    I actually think you are just trolling at this stage, because with those notions , you couldn't be serious !!!

This, this exactly,

I'm a rock/punk fan primarily, can't beat a good rock show in my books(as my posting history in this forum can show if nothing else!) and went on Saturday night primarily because I've taken herself to slipknot and owed her one..

So usually T.Swift wouldn't be my style at all..

I was blown away come 11 o'clock Saturday night, outstanding show, much bigger crowd than i was expecting (much bigger than RHCP for example), and was a sublime experience.. up there with any gig ive seen and i'm shocked to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was accused by some mad Swiftie of coming onto the board with an "agenda".

I'm a regular on this forum and I'm perfectly entitled to compare the show with others I've seen.

It wasn't as good.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'm a regular on this forum and I'm perfectly entitled to compare the show with others I've seen.

It wasn't as good.

Sorry.

Its not unusual for people who are fans of an artist to discuss the show after the event, and to celebrate it, or to criticise it.

It is frankly quite weird for so many people who are not fans of the artist to insist so obstinately and repeatedly on castigating the show.

So you dont like Taylor Swift. Point made.

If she played 500 shows you probably wouldnt enjoy any of them, mind made up.

Why do you feel the need to rain on other peoples parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It wasn't as good.

Sorry.

Of course you are, But why try to force it continually down peoples throats ??
    You didn't enjoy - 10s of thousands did.

And if you want a rock show with a storyline and flow -
    Maybe you should just stick to the "Rocky Horror Show " .............

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

My last few shows....

Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath
    ZZ Top
    Saxon
    Alice Cooper

You get the picture.....

I went to Taylor Swift with my 3 nieces and I loved it and they loved it. We had a great time. It was like AC/DC for little girls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its not unusual for people who are fans of an artist to discuss the show after the event, and to celebrate it, or to criticise it.

It is frankly quite weird for so many people who are not fans of the artist to insist so obstinately and repeatedly on castigating the show.

So you dont like Taylor Swift. Point made.

If she played 500 shows you probably wouldnt enjoy any of them, mind made up.

Why do you feel the need to rain on other peoples parade?

She's simply saying that for her it didn't match up to other shows she has seen (she even included Beyonce in that so that proves she is not being a "music snob" about pop), how is that raining on other people's parades? If you enjoyed the show, why should you give a rats ass if someone else didn't like it as much?

The piling on to Mrs Shuttleworth on this thread is ridiculous. She's been called a troll, a music snob, condescending, accused of having an agenda, trying to take Swiftie down. People have different opinions, imagine!

Of course you are, But why try to force it continually down peoples throats ??
    You didn't enjoy - 10s of thousands did.

And if you want a rock show with a storyline and flow -
    Maybe you should just stick to the "Rocky Horror Show " .............

She's not forcing anything down anyone's throats, she was simply replying to the multiple posts accusing her of being a troll or having an agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

She's not forcing anything down anyone's throats, she was simply replying to the multiple posts accusing her of being a troll or having an agenda

Well why make 7 or 8 posts reinforcing the same few points, with the recurring disclaimer 'and I go to a lot of gigs', as if that makes the opinion more valid.

We get it already.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well why make 7 or 8 posts reinforcing the same few points, with the recurring disclaimer 'and I go to a lot of gigs', as if that makes the opinion more valid.

We get it already.

Thank you.

As I say above she was replying to posts which mentioned her or accused her of being a troll or whatever. And going to a lot of gigs of all genres simply means that she has no affiliation to any one genre or is not a "music snob" as has been mentioned. How are people not seeing that?

Advertisement