Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Swift, Croke Park, June 15/16th 2018 **No ticket sales / requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Carol25 wrote: »
    Thought the Rolling Stones were so arrogant when one of them came out recently saying she should enjoy the fame 'while it lasts'.

Not sure what context it was in however I would imagine he is correct. I might be naive in saying this so open to correction but struggling to think of aging female solo artists drawing the masses to large open air concerts.

Madonna was mid forties when she played Slane a show widely received as crap by those in attendance, can't imagine a withered Taylor Swift at 70 having the pulling power for stadiums.

Music seems very disposable these days too these artists need to strike while the iron is hot,would some of these have the drawing power in 10 years let alone 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Carol25

‘Madonna was mid forties when she played Slane a show widely received as crap by those in attendance, can't imagine a withered Taylor Swift at 70 having the pulling power for stadiums.

Music seems very disposable these days too....’

Taylor is 28 tho, which is a far cry from 70! Not even half way there yet! She’s also a songwriter and musician at heart so I think once this era of her life passes, she may ultimately become a songwriter in the background for other performers. In my own opinion, Madonna isn’t very talented. She’d a great team behind her and has some great pop songs. I like Taylor as an artist, writer and performer. She’s an excellent lyricist! As for this year’s concerts, I definitely don’t think her show will be ‘crap’ because she’s 28 years old!

Taylor is 28 tho, which is a far cry from 70! Not even half way there yet!
    Comment was in relation to the suggestion that she should enjoy fame while it lasts said by a member of a band who is playing stadiums at 70.

Fwiw A quick Google of her latest album team there too including dial a hit Max Martin.

Fwiw A quick Google of her latest album team there too including dial a hit Max Martin.[/quote]

Yes, and Jack Antonoff- both incredibly talented. As is Taylor herself in my own opinion. I personally prefer the songs and style on 1989 and Red overall to the approach she has taken with Reputation with Martin and Antonoff. I really like Reputation as an album in its own right and I think she needed to get this style out of her system, but 1989 and Red go the extra mile for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Comment was from Richards, a self proclaimed bastard.
    It seems as though Keith Richards has reignited his feud with pop princess Taylor Swift. The Rolling Stones musician already ruffled the feathers of a few Swifties in 2015, when he cast a shadow on the singer’s credibility when he said: ‘While Taylor is a pretty girl, she’s just a “flavour of the month”.’ Ouch. Now it seems the 74-year-old rocker has opened a new can of worms in an interview with Wall Street Journal by saying in Taylor’s direction: ‘Good luck girl — wish her well while it lasts.’ He then added, ‘I’ve just been around too long to be picking the bones out of kids. It wouldn’t be fair of me and I’ve always been an opinionated bastard anyway.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/01/keith-richards-suggests-taylor-swift-enjoy-success-lasts-7353344/?ito=cbshare

more richards quotes, in comparison it would seem it is high praise of swift!

David Bowie: “It’s all pose. It’s all ****ing posing. It’s nothing to do with music. He knows it too.”

Prince: “An overrated midget… Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That’s the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you’ve proved it. His attitude when he opened for us… was insulting to our audience. You don’t try to knock off the headline like that when you’re playing a Stones crowd. He’s a prince who thinks he’s a king already. Good luck to him.”

Elton John: “An old bitch… his writing is limited to songs about dead blondes.” Elton’s response: “It would be awful to be like Keith Richards. He’s pathetic. It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go on stage and look young. I have great respect for the Stones but they would have been better if they had thrown Keith out 15 years ago.”

Creedence Clearwater Revival: “When I first heard them, I was really knocked out, but I became bored with them very quickly. After a few times, it started to annoy me. They’re so basic and simple that maybe it’s a little too much.”

Stones invited her to play with them before, on their official channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Keith Richards is notorious for saying things just to cause trouble. He's totally mental as well after several decades of substance abuse. Liable to say anything, if he wasn't a rock star he'd be in an old folks home.

Yes, and Jack Antonoff- both incredibly talented. As is Taylor herself in my own opinion. I personally prefer the songs and style on 1989 and Red overall to the approach she has taken with Reputation with Martin and Antonoff. I really like Reputation as an album in its own right and I think she needed to get this style out of her system, but 1989 and Red go the extra mile for me!

He is the business, once Martin is involved I see the credibility of these popstars sucked out.

On further inspection he has worked with her before including her first number 1 and biggest hits from those albums mentioned.

Martin has worked with her previously no doubt. On nearly all of Taylor's albums, from Red, 1989 and Reputation, some of my favourite songs are the lesser known ones some of which are unreleased. Some are collaborations with Martin, Antonoff, or others. Some are written solely by Swift. I do think Swift is more musically credible than most popstars out there, her strongest hand is country/pop, and I'd be happy if she decided to see her return there again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Not sure what context it was in however I would imagine he is correct. I might be naive in saying this so open to correction but struggling to think of aging female solo artists drawing the masses to large open air concerts.

Madonna was mid forties when she played Slane a show widely received as crap by those in attendance, can't imagine a withered Taylor Swift at 70 having the pulling power for stadiums.

Music seems very disposable these days too these artists need to strike while the iron is hot,would some of these have the drawing power in 10 years let alone 40?

It's the type of music they are playing and the very young audience they are (rather stupidly) pandering to.

Tina Turner filled Croke Park in 1996. I'm female but all this "up the women" stuff lately puzzles me, strong mature women (not flighty millennials) were all over the entertainment industry when I was growing up.

There's a big audience of younger boomers/older Gen X not being catered for and with money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Anyone seen the new (or doctored) posters appearing around town, with a miserable looking Camilla Cabello and Charlii XCX underneath Swifty's face?

These gigs aren't selling.

• Advertisement

Friday has sold very well overall except some bad standing tickets, and lower Davin at the back. However I'm not sure re Saturday...Croke Park has a huge capacity so even at half or 3/4 full, that's 40,000 or 60,000 people watching the Saturday show

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xkat11

I hope as someone said that they won't cancel because the profit would be good even if it is not sold out. I personally paid for the cheapest ticket and got a first row seat at the highest stand, hope it's decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

xkat11 wrote: »
    I hope as someone said that they won't cancel because the profit would be good even if it is not sold out. I personally paid for the cheapest ticket and got a first row seat at the highest stand, hope it's decent.

Bought the same for my Daughter. She'd go spare if they cant go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

xkat11 wrote: »

You will probably have your pick of good seats on the Saturday night as the place will be half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xkat11

Zardoz wrote: »
    You will probably have your pick of good seats on the Saturday night as the place will be half empty.

You mean we might be able to go lower?

Is it really half empty? Probably more tickets will be sold closer to June...

I think more tickets will sell closer to the time. But on a broad scale Taylor isn't doing much promoting which is strange. Delicate. which she has just released, is such a great song, but there's just a video release and zero promotion. If she did more live performances, more tickets would sell. I think more will anyway coming closer to the date, and after checking ticketmaster. Friday definitely has sold well. Fingers crossed as she's a great songwriter and performer!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Ad in the Irish Indo today advertising the Saturday concert only!
    No mention of the Friday gig.

Yes Friday has sold well so I'm sure they want to push Saturday night more now.

Yes Friday has sold well so I'm sure they want to push Saturday night more now.

Its hard to know how well Friday has sold as Ticketmaster are masters of smoke and mirrors.

I'd have expected the promoter to have added better support by now and they really need to start reducing the price levels if they are to fill Saturday night up to even respectable levels .
    Its just over 10 weeks out .

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭boyznoise

Sat night is gonna be embrassing with all the empty seats

• Advertisement

boyznoise wrote: »
    Sat night is gonna be embrassing with all the empty seats

I don't know what they are playing at ,they should be running 2 for 1 promotions and slashing the ticket prices at this stage.

I would say this extra abysmal TS night did Croker out of a Beyonce - Jay Z concert if you were that way inclined

I would say this extra abysmal TS night did Croker out of a Beyonce - Jay Z concert if you were that way inclined

I wouldn't cross the road to either of them even if I was paid.
    Its funny you should mention them though as their second London gig looks like Taylors second Dublin gig ,a disaster.
    Livenations greed is costing them .

https://www1.ticketmaster.ie/jayz-and-beyonce-otr-ii-london-06-16-2018/event/35005473AF1D9725?artistid=781009&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=3

Yeah noticed that, if you really want to have a chuckle look at Cardiff for Beyonce that could have worse sales worse than TS in Croker, promoters greed and an American approach to ticket prices has badly effected ticket sales. Essentially TM has become the biggest ticket tout of all with dynamic pricing, platinum tickets and a barrage of VIP packages.

Yeah noticed that, if you really want to have a chuckle look at Cardiff for Beyonce that could have worse sales worse than TS in Croker, promoters greed and an American approach to ticket prices has badly effected ticket sales. Essentially TM has become the biggest ticket tout of all with dynamic pricing, platinum tickets and a barrage of VIP packages.

Yes Ticketmaster/Livenations greed knows no bounds.
    They are artificially manipulating the market for all of their acts ,trying to mislead the public in relation to demand.

Hopefully they get burnt badly and ticket prices will return to affordable levels .
    150 euro for a stadium concert is just ridiculous considering indoor concerts are much cheaper and vastly superior in both visual and audio aspects.

£250- 300 for a pair of tickets to sit upper tier in a stadium is appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they really need to start reducing the price levels if they are to fill Saturday night.
    does this happen with many gigs here?

Last I can think of was kings of leon in 3arena, customers of 3 were being offered some sort of bonus. Might have been buy 1 get one free, or buy 2 get 1. I don't think it was a direct discount on a single ticket.

It would rightly annoy people who bought already if they start slashing prices. Also could be a dangerous practice for future events, people holding off buying tickets in the hope they will drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yes, 3 customers were offered 2 for 1 for Kings of Leon's third and final 3Arena show. You signed up like a presale and got a code. Not everyone could avail of it, only 3 customers. €85 was the cheapest ticket.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

rubadub wrote: »
    does this happen with many gigs here?

Last I can think of was kings of leon in 3arena, customers of 3 were being offered some sort of bonus. Might have been buy 1 get one free, or buy 2 get 1. I don't think it was a direct discount on a single ticket.

It would rightly annoy people who bought already if they start slashing prices. Also could be a dangerous practice for future events, people holding off buying tickets in the hope they will drop in price.

I dont think it happens much in the Uk and Ireland ,its mostly a US thing.

Ticketmaster UK do special offers from time to time ,2 for 1 deals and reduced ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cian1989

Its hard to know how well Friday has sold as Ticketmaster are masters of smoke and mirrors.

I'd have expected the promoter to have added better support by now and they really need to start reducing the price levels if they are to fill Saturday night up to even respectable levels .
    Its just over 10 weeks out .
    Camila Cabello is a huge get for a support act considering how big she is right now and how much of Taylor’s fan base are fans of hers as well, so not sure why you’d expect any more from mcd.

The whole pricing strategy is a strange one, and it’s less down to the acts themselves but the ticket prices. It would work well in the US where dripping prices is the norm, but not sure how they will do it here.

In any case we may see a surge in interest once the tour starts with online buzz sparking sales back up again.

Advertisement