Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400m Running Tracks in Ireland

• 24-11-2017 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi

I’m doing a college assignment and need some help.

I’m looking to get the locations for the 400 meter running tracks around the country

I’m looking for the red tracks. Think they are mondo or tartan

I know of
    • Morton Stadium
    • Irish Town
    • Claremont Stadium Navan
    • I.T Sligo
    • Mardyke Arena
    • University of Limerick
    • NUIG - Dangan

Can anybody tell me if I got them all or are there any that I’m missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I think there is a running track here:

https://www.alsaa.ie/facilities/

Drogheda too I believe.

http://www.droghedaanddistrictac.com/gallery.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

aquinn wrote: »
    I think there is a running track here:

https://www.alsaa.ie/facilities/

Yep seems to be when I google map.

If anybody else knows of any other others. I would greatly appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Tallaght A.C.
    Finn Valley in Donegal but it's blue
    Kilcoole A.C. in Greystones
    Le Cheile
    Tullamore
    Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

AIT has one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Ballina Athletic club in mayo too, it’s the old track on google maps, a new red track was added in late 2015

https://www.facebook.com/ballina.fitforlife/photos/a.656120741157609.1073741828.614624135307270/1067672196669126/?type=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭coco0981

An riocht in castleisland have a track

Thank you guys.

What standard are the tracks mentioned?

Doing an overview of the facilities available for high performance elite athletes. Want to see where are the facilities that can cater for high performance athletes outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Templemore
    Waterford
    Mary Peters Belfast
    Greystones
    Leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

CIT have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jumping the gun had a list. Probably not updated, but I suspect there hasn't been much change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.

Doing an overview of the facilities available for high performance elite athletes. Want to see where are the facilities that can cater for high performance athletes outside of Dublin.

outside Dublin...
    Athlone IT and Tullamore are in good condition, used regularly for competition
    can't comment on the others

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Letterkenny (tartan, good condition)
    Lifford (Mondo I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

St Colman's College Newry (Not on google maps)
    Bush post primary school Cooley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Claremorris and Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Enniscorthy?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Enniscorthy?

Yep, a brand new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The Louth County Council owned track in Drogheda is in very good condition. Good changing facilities/parking etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.

You’ll probably have to see them for yourself to make an assessment on them. Many people have different standards regarding how good or bad a track is (sprinters and distance runners prefer different type of surfaces to each other).

Personally, the best outdoor ones are Santry, Belfast, Waterford, Athlone, Tullamore (to a lesser degree).

The others I’ve run on aren’t up to much. Leixlip is ok but slow for sprinters, Greystones is worn and 6 lane only, Templemore is worn, Tallaght is even more so, Irishtown is appalling, ALSAA a health hazard, UL in Limerick a disgrace.

Majority of tracks built against prevailing winds too which is needless and frustrating. This means 100/200 runners face more headwinds than tailwinds in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Despite UL being a disgrace Barr managed 4th in Rio. Maybe for training the facilities only need to be adequate/ok as long as the coaching and talent is good enough. Is it possible levels of coaching are holding us back more than the lack of facilities? In fairness UL does offer the chance to sprint indoors which is welcome this time of year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Despite UL being a disgrace Barr managed 4th in Rio. Maybe for training the facilities only need to be adequate/ok as long as the coaching and talent is good enough. Is it possible levels of coaching are holding us back more than the lack of facilities? In fairness UL does offer the chance to sprint indoors which is welcome this time of year!

Facilities go beyond just a track though look at some of the clubs providing top athletes there is a common team that many of them (DSD,Raheny to name a few) to be fair we are at a stage now where need to go one step further and develop the environment around facilities.

The coaching element is an ongoing discussion in the sport at moment despite 60,000 member s there is only one coach employed by AAI as a coach the rest are volunteers (every one of our Olympians last year had a volunteer coach)

Building infrastructures around coaches will provide more bang for buck regarding improving of standards the likes of the Donnie Walshes, the Cahills, the Harrison's, The Dick Hoopers, the Jerry Kiernans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

We are not the only country though and it doesn't stand in the way of top athletes shining. Laura Muir regularly does her gym work in a local commercial budget gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Some of the tracks people have mentioned don't cater for all events. Some of them don't have facilities for events such as steeplechase, pole vault, discus and hammer.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Some of the tracks people have mentioned don't cater for all events. Some of them don't have facilities for events such as steeplechase, pole vault, discus and hammer.

would you be able to give me the names of the places that could cater for all athletics disciplines?

Thank you everyone else for the names of places

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

I think these tracks cater for all events, based on National League or national/provincial championships having held there in recent years. I'd say there are others with which I'm not familiar.

Belfast
    Antrim
    Sligo
    Santry
    Tallaght
    Tullamore
    Athlone
    Templemore (Co. Tipperary)
    Waterford
    Cork IT

Barr also has had recurring injury problems. No idea if it is related to the track at UL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Basic track in Westside in Galway. Open to public. Wouldn't be suitable for any events really as it has a slight incline and outside lane has a spot where local scrotes lit a fire on it :mad::mad:

OK for general training purposes though.....

(Don't think there is any lighting around it either AFAIK...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Shercock ac in Cavan have a 400m track, well, had a few years ago anyhow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Bangor, co Down. You'd like that one Chivito.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You’ll probably have to see them for yourself to make an assessment on them. Many people have different standards regarding how good or bad a track is (sprinters and distance runners prefer different type of surfaces to each other).

Personally, the best outdoor ones are Santry, Belfast, Waterford, Athlone, Tullamore (to a lesser degree).

The others I’ve run on aren’t up to much. Leixlip is ok but slow for sprinters, Greystones is worn and 6 lane only, Templemore is worn, Tallaght is even more so, Irishtown is appalling, ALSAA a health hazard, UL in Limerick a disgrace.

Majority of tracks built against prevailing winds too which is needless and frustrating. This means 100/200 runners face more headwinds than tailwinds in the long run.

Interested in this assessment - there have certainly been major problems in the last 18 months but I think the track is pretty OK now for most purposes. Maybe not for the sprinting community?

Advertisement