Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One

Options
  • 24-11-2017 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Got an Xbox one yesterday for the kids for christmas, the odds are i will end up on it myself.

I wouldn't call myself old by any means but would be old skool in gaming circles.

All i will be playing is the likes of gran turismo,F1 and other car related games.

Can anyone advise me as i haven't played a games console in almost 15 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Gran Turismo, eh? Enjoy that :P

I think you might have a better time with Forza instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

vard wrote: »
    Gran Turismo, eh? Enjoy that :P

I think you might have a better time with Forza instead.

I genuinely haven't a clue about any of the modern stuff :o

What is Forza like?

You are talking to someone who played the likes of Driver 1, all F1 games upto 2003, GTA 1 and Porsche challenge.

I'm wondering am i better off parking it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

All i will be playing is the likes of gran turismo,F1 and other car related games.

Hey!
    Gran Turismo is exclusive to PlayStation.
    The Forza series are Microsoft's.
    But you'll be able to get Forza Motorsport 7 for yourself, and it's awesome!
    Forza Horizon 3 is also worth it.

Enjoy! :)

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Hey!
    Gran Turismo is exclusive to PlayStation.
    The Forza series are Microsoft's.
    But you'll be able to get Forza Motorsport 7 for yourself, and it's awesome!
    Forza Horizon 3 is also worth it.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you :D

It seems like i have a lot to learn.

I'm really out of touch :o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Make sure you set the console up before Christmas and get all the updates downloaded to avoid impatient kids on Christmas day :)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Make sure you set the console up before Christmas and get all the updates downloaded to avoid impatient kids on Christmas day :)

I seen something about membership for €50 a year, is that it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No, that membership is for Gold Xbox live which allows you to play games online.

What Mickeroo is talking about is all the updates the system will need, and probably games too. They will need to be downloaded before playing anything, and as some of the downloads are quite big, they will take a while, so best off downloading them before Christmas if you can

BDJW wrote: »
    No, that membership is for Gold Xbox live which allows you to play games online.

What Mickeroo is talking about is all the updates the system will need, and probably games too. They will need to be downloaded before playing anything, and as some of the downloads are quite big, they will take a while, so best off downloading them before Christmas if you can

Thank you :D

I'll set it up tonight and hope i'm done by Christmas eve :pac:

I really don't have a clue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thats a subscription service called xbox live. you'll get 2 free weeks in the box, but its worth getting it all year round, as you get extra functionality - mainly the ability to play games online against other people, and you'll also get 4 free games per month that you can play as long as your membership is active. You can buy membership online for cheaper than that - usually about 40 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

Unless you're going to be Mean Dad and not give the kids a look in, you might be better off getting a second controller. Make sure it's XBOX 1, you might get a few bob off in CEX.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Unless you're going to be Mean Dad and not give the kids a look in, you might be better off getting a second controller. Make sure it's XBOX 1, you might get a few bob off in CEX.

The wife got a full package deal in Smyths yesterday, second controller included.

Her father told her to buy me F1 2017 and the steering wheel as well, might get an X-Rocker too :D

The kids will probably end up fighting to get me off it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Got an Xbox for the kids, he says.....

Don't worry, I believe you. ;)

Got an Xbox for the kids, he says.....

Don't worry, I believe you. ;)

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Bet you told your wife "sure they'll grow into it" seriously though the difference in visuals now and what was there 15 years ago will make your eyes bleed.

DO NOT get an X rocker if you value your spine/back in general those things are the devil at our age ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

If you're into car orientated games you should check out Rocket League. Not a sim but an arcade game that crosses indoor style footie and matchbox like cars. Seriously addictive and fun once you get the hang of it. Good for all ages too - I'm an auld fella meself and love it.

Bet you told your wife "sure they'll grow into it" seriously though the difference in visuals now and what was there 15 years ago will make your eyes bleed.

DO NOT get an X rocker if you value your spine/back in general those things are the devil at our age ;)
    All she can do is laugh because i'm like a spoilt child over it :pac:

I look forward to seeing the difference in the graphics, the way i am now with this technology reminds me of trying to show my grandmother,who was in her 80's how to work a mobile phone, i fear this will be something similar.

This was the X-Rocker i was looking at

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/gaming-chairs/x-rocker-octane-gaming-chair/p/159115?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQhQhX4wfy10aSrOo5exzbQq15OR2OLs4ADfDOd90KANfBnBykhKSL0aAlKJEALw_wcB

My back isn't the greatest though so i accept you have a very valid point.
    If you're into car orientated games you should check out Rocket League. Not a sim but an arcade game that crosses indoor style footie and matchbox like cars. Seriously addictive and fun once you get the hang of it. Good for all ages too - I'm an auld fella meself and love it.

Must look up that game.

When i opened up the box last night i expected to find 2 games for Forza 3 and Matchbox cars i think it was,there were no games just a big long code.

Trying to get back into the swing of all of this looks like it will be fun, a challenging christmas and new year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All she can do is laugh because i'm like a spoilt child over it :pac:

I look forward to seeing the difference in the graphics, the way i am now with this technology reminds me of trying to show my grandmother,who was in her 80's how to work a mobile phone, i fear this will be something similar.

This was the X-Rocker i was looking at

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/gaming-chairs/x-rocker-octane-gaming-chair/p/159115?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQhQhX4wfy10aSrOo5exzbQq15OR2OLs4ADfDOd90KANfBnBykhKSL0aAlKJEALw_wcB

My back isn't the greatest though so i accept you have a very valid point.

Must look up that game.

When i opened up the box last night i expected to find 2 games for Forza 3 and Matchbox cars i think it was,there were no games just a big long code.

Trying to get back into the swing of all of this looks like it will be fun, a challenging christmas and new year ahead.

If you’re looking for a wheel Curry’s uk are selling the Logitech G920 wheel/pedals/shifter for €183. Use parcel wizard to get it delivered from uk to yourself (€8)
    That setup costs €440 here so it’s a hell of a bargain.
    Pm me if you want the link directly

Just off the Xbox after setting it up and playing a bit of Forza 3.

Lets just say it was 'interesting' to say the least.

Can i get F1 2017 through the internet or do i have to buy it?

Also this Xbox gold thing, can someone explain it to me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just off the Xbox after setting it up and playing a bit of Forza 3.

Lets just say it was 'interesting' to say the least.

Can i get F1 2017 through the internet or do i have to buy it?

Also this Xbox gold thing, can someone explain it to me?

Xbox Live Gold is a subscription service, allowing you to play against others online. It also includes four free games per month, of varying quality.

If you're talking piracy on the F1 2017 thing, then no, it doesn't really happen on the latest generation of consoles. Piracy isn't up for discussion here either, at least in terms of finding out how. If you want to buy it, you can buy online in the Microsoft store, which you can access through your console, or you can just buy in a bricks and mortar store anywhere.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Xbox Live Gold is a subscription service, allowing you to play against others online. It also includes four free games per month, of varying quality.

If you're talking piracy on the F1 2017 thing, then no, it doesn't really happen on the latest generation of consoles. Piracy isn't up for discussion here either, at least in terms of finding out how. If you want to buy it, you can buy online in the Microsoft store, which you can access through your console, or you can just buy in a bricks and mortar store anywhere.

Might look into that membership thing.

No no, i don't purchase anything involving piracy.

I can just buy the game online and it will save to the memory of the computer then?

Forza 3 appears to be in that format,not a bad game either to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Might look into that membership thing.

No no, i don't purchase anything involving piracy.

I can just buy the game online and it will save to the memory of the computer then?

Forza 3 appears to be in that format,not a bad game either to be fair.

Yeah, you can take a look around xbox.com as well, it's the same thing. Depending on your settings, it may download any purchase automatically, but if not, take a look in "My Games and Apps", and there's a "Ready to Install" view there that'll let you see everything you own.

Just to note though, the store is generally more expensive than buying in a bricks and mortar, particularly if you don't have a problem with second hand. On the other hand, digital games can be gotten pretty cheap of you hold out until it's on sale, the Microsoft store runs a weekly sale called Deals with Gold, there's a thread here that gets updated with the latest deals.

Personally, I buy all my games digitally, but only on sale.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can also buy codes from other sites online such as this: https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games

Usually cheaper than on the xbox store.

Advertisement