Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir HD - Full HD?

Options
  • 24-11-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was speaking to Sky earlier with a view to cancelling my account with them. They suggested the HD quality with Eir would not be comparable to the HD quality with Sky. Do you have any details on this? I assume Eir transmit full HD 1080P?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

fred252 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I was speaking to Sky earlier with a view to cancelling my account with them. They suggested the HD quality with Eir would not be comparable to the HD quality with Sky. Do you have any details on this? I assume Eir transmit full HD 1080P?

Thanks
    Hi fred252, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to advise on another companies service, however, the HD service with us would be the standard service of 1080p. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

fred252 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks
    Even at full HD 1080 I have found a noticeable difference. 

If you watch say Eir sports 1 on Sky VS Eir, the sharpness of the picture is better on Sky. It's warmer on EIR. Now I don't know if there is a difference in compression, or a setting needs changing.

I have both packages and it was noticeable 

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

flexcon wrote: »
    Even at full HD 1080 I have found a noticeable difference. 

If you watch say Eir sports 1 on Sky VS Eir, the sharpness of the picture is better on Sky. It's warmer on EIR. Now I don't know if there is a difference in compression, or a setting needs changing.

I have both packages and it was noticeable 

Thanks, that's pretty much what the sky guy said. Wonder why that would be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The resolution is only part of the picture. The bitrate with which the station is broadcast has much mor eto do with picture quality.

If you compare a 1080p movie on a HD movie channel verses the same movie on a bluray you'll see the difference bitrate makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

VeVeX wrote: »
    The resolution is only part of the picture. The bitrate with which the station is broadcast has much mor eto do with picture quality.

If you compare a 1080p movie on a HD movie channel verses the same movie on a bluray you'll see the difference bitrate makes.
    Thanks, I assume there's no way to find out what bit rates Sky and Eir use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

From memory 8Mb constant for HD. 
    Whereas Sky is variable depending on what is going on on-screen, typically between 2Mb and 20Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

I don't think Sky HD is full HD.

Think it's either 720p or 1080i. Don't think they're broadcasting @ 1080p.

Advertisement