Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egypt Mosque Attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mustaf been the Halawawas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Apparently the attackers had just left the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Malayalam wrote: »
    Savage terror attack in Mosque in Egypt. Over 180 dead. Terrible toll. Shocking and sad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-attack-live-latest-updates-news-death-toll-bomb-shooting-explosion-a8073481.html

Said to be IS attack. I have heard (unconfirmed) that it was a Sufi mosque, who IS regard as apostates. They are the mystics of Islam.

To be fair, everyone who isn't in ISIS is considered an apostate or evil by ISIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Makes it seem even worse that a place of worship was targeted. I guess nothing is beyond these guys. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Egypt is fooked. Militants have been blowing stuff up in Sinai for a good few years now. This one is making the news because of its scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

wakka12 wrote: »
    Makes it seem even worse that a place of worship was targeted. I guess nothing is beyond these guys. RIP

I think it goes without saying that they're scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, everyone who isn't in ISIS is considered an apostate or evil by ISIS.

If Islam is ever to undergo a reformation, the good in it would come from Muslims like the Sufis. They are renowned as peaceful, pragmatic and broad-minded. The attack is really a wound to the heart of Sufism.

As for the earlier 'jokes' in the thread, I can't comprehend that response to such a barbaric event, with such a great loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yes terrible for them but I'm glad it's not one of our cities. And by our, I mean a European one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Terrible, how people think this is a rational thing to do is what remains unbelievable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Up to 235 dead now, shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

The difference in the style and tone of replies to this thread to, say, a European terror attack thread is, while unfortunately not surprising, quite nasty and saddening.

What a terrible loss of life.

Edit: I should stress only some of the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Conchir wrote: »
    The difference in the style and tone of replies to this thread to, say, a European terror attack thread is, while unfortunately not surprising, quite nasty and saddening.

1 out of 15? (now 16?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The unfortunate truth is that terror attacks, even ones on this massive scale, are so common that people have become jaded with them. It's the same with mass shootings in the US. Until a huge, determined attempt to prevent either terror attacks or mass shootings is made, they will continue to be little more than sad headlines in the news. But 235 people massacred in one attack is unbelievable, even in these fúcked times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Ah religion, the cure to all the world's ills.

RIP to the victims. The middle east will never be at peace while religion is the dominant force in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

wakka12 wrote: »

It isn't the first time ISIS or their mindless followers have targeted a place of worship or maybe you forgot two of their disciples hacking the head off an elderly priest whilst he said mass in a Normandy village.
    They have attacked people in all sorts of settings in Syria and Iraq.

The problem is these people care about nothing, but their own looney fantasies.
    Anyone that diverges from their ultra hard line sunni outlook is fair game.

Also remember it is not just IS in Sinai, but bad old al-Qaeda are also in the area.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes terrible for them but I'm glad it's not one of our cities. And by our, I mean a European one.

So European lives are worth more than Egyptian/Arabic/Moslem lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ah religion, the cure to all the world's ills.

RIP to the victims. The middle east will never be at peace while religion is the dominant force in the region.

Would that it were so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Ironically you don't hear of Sufi's ,Shia's or Allawites blowing themselves up in the name of Allah....

Sunnis and their offshoots such as the salafists seem to be at the root of atrocities in the middle East.

We all know which country support's Sharia law inclusive and it's not Iran or Iraq.

We also know where salafists stemmed from and it ain't Iran or Iraq.....

It ain't no rocket science.

I studied Sufism and they're quite tollerent of other religions, they love art, music, dance meditation, party's, and tranquility....

Shias are similar but they have to defend themselves from the Sunnis who want them wiped off the face of this earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

murpho999 wrote: »

The closer something is to you geographically, and the closer the victims are to you culturally, the more it hits home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

What they do in the Islamic world is up to them, when they start attacking Christian nations then we take notice and rightly so and don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What they do in the Islamic world is up to them, when they start attacking Christian nations then we take notice and rightly so and don't like it.

You evidently are using the World Atlas Crusades edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sick bastards through and through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

GerB40 wrote: »
    The unfortunate truth is that terror attacks, even ones on this massive scale, are so common that people have become jaded with them. It's the same with mass shootings in the US. Until a huge, determined attempt to prevent either terror attacks or mass shootings is made, they will continue to be little more than sad headlines in the news. But 235 people massacred in one attack is unbelievable, even in these fúcked times.

People just think "I'm alright Jack".

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Has a certain someone gone back on their holidays to Egypt??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The long arm of Saudi Arabia strikes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

When these attacks become as commonplace in Europe/America as they are in the Islamic world people will react the same and if we keep on the same path maybe not in my lifetime but in my children's lifetime that will happen.

R.I.P to all the dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

murpho999 wrote: »

Stop trying to sh** stir.
    Yes to some like a poster here that might be the case.
    There is an argument that in certain parts of the world life is cheaper, there is no getting around that fact.

But there is also a lot to what stoker says.
    storker wrote: »
    The closer something is to you geographically, and the closer the victims are to you culturally, the more it hits home.

If there were a good few people are killed say in a car accident in Mayo, it has a lot more of an effect and impact on people in Mayo than if there was a major accident in Wexford.

People will try and argue this shyte that we don't care about them because they are black, brown, muslim or some such shyte, but look how in this part of the world how much is made of wholesale slaughters in Russia.
    They are primarily white and christian or secular to a large extent.
    Yet when there is an attack in Moscow there is much much less headline space and tv space given to it than if it was in London, Paris or Barcelona.

Also we have huge ties to US both commerically and socially so anything that happens there seeps into our lives.
    We all personally would probably know someone that has some links to the US.
    How many of us would personally know someone with links to Egypt ?

I am not allowed discuss …

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    When these attacks become as commonplace in Europe/America as they are in the Islamic world people will react the same and if we keep on the same path maybe not in my lifetime but in my children's lifetime that will happen.

R.I.P to all the dead.

Really? You legitimately think that? What's your reasoning behind that statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

BillyBobBS wrote: »

R.I.P to all the dead.

European terror attacks are very common. who even remembers Las Ramblas or the St Petersburg bombings?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

305 dead and the figure just rises. 27 are children.

I was reading that the village where it happened had over a quarter of it's male population murdered in this most horrific attack.
    So sad the brutality and senselessness that exists in this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I am just reading about this attack. Terrible carnage. I went to Sinai a few times when I was a diver. Beautiful part of the world and lovely people but I would be reluctant to go there now.

Advertisement