Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident on Oxford street london?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Police: 'Customer Incident at ticket selling booth'

Black Friday gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Unclear atm what’s going on there it’s only breaking on sky news

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

From Sky News:

Police are responding to reports of an incident at London's Oxford Circus Tube station, amid reports of people running away from the scene.

TfL says the station has been closed while police deal with a "customer incident" and Met Police has advised people to stay away from the scene.

More follows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sounds like a fight broke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Can’t link to twitter but the police have tweeted that if you’re near Oxford circus to go into a building that the police are dealing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Some loon with a gun according to someone on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Gunman has barricaded himself in an FCUK shop apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Might be a Monopoly game gone bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

cliggg wrote: »
    Gunman has barricaded himself in an FCUK shop apparently

What a cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I see the DM have amended their headline to get rid of the "lorry ploughs into crowd" bit.

They are still saying it in the article though but it's still unverified. I'm not sure they should be using Twitter to get facts for a developing news story!
    Hundreds have been evacuated from Oxford Circus tube station amid reports of gunshots.

Armed police have arrived on scene after a gunman was reported to have fired shots.

Witnesses at the scene described seeing a lorry on the pavement surrounded by police as if it had 'ploughed' into pedestrians.

Next to the lorry, the pavement was said to be covered in blood.

Seems like a very fast response from police. Hopefully there are no injuries

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I see the DM have amended their headline to get rid of the "lorry ploughs in crowd" bit.

They are still saying it in the article though but it's still unverified. I'm not sure they should be using Twitter to get facts for a developing news story!

Seems like a very fast response from police. Hopefully there are no injuries
    It's the daily mail, "facts" are not really their thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya the lorry reports seem to have been unverified from social media.

Hope theres no serious injuries or loss of life.

I see the DM have amended their headline to get rid of the "lorry ploughs in crowd" bit.

Talk about jumping the gun. They'll be devastated if it turns out that it isn't a terrorist incident.

The daily mail seem to be the only ones posting such claims.

There has been hysteria on the streets but the police seem relatively calm.

The only genuine thing I've read so far has been a gang like bust up in the tube station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

No casualties located as yet, according to the Met....reported on Sky news..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

wasn't there an incident in the tube at Oxford Circus as well this morning? I think a Polish man got beat up by a gang. Must go check that out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Gang scum who have been running riot in London for far too long. Find them all and hang all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trump was right. Again.

I hope it isn't anything much at all. Should be remembered that people in London panicked and evacuated an underground after someone started quoting from the Bible only recently.
    Passengers on board a packed rush-hour train forced open the doors and fled the carriage onto tracks after a man began reading lines from the Bible.

Evening Standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ebbsy wrote: »
    Trump was right. Again.

Just quoting this for later on.

I'm struck by how little beyond the absolute basic info the media are being told and are willing to speculate about. Looks like everyone is learning a few lessons in management.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The daily mail seem to be the only ones posting such claims.

There has been hysteria on the streets but the police seem relatively calm.

The only genuine thing I've read so far has been a gang like bust up in the tube station.

Is it common for gangs in the UK to use guns? I though knife crime was a lot more common.

So blatant fake news from the daily mail. Not surprising really

Brilliant response from the police though, seems like they were there within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gang scum who have been running riot in London for far too long. Find them all and hang all of them.

There will always be crime and gangs.

Hanging never deterred any criminal in the days when Britain had Capital Punishment.

Is it common for gangs in the UK to use guns? I though knife crime was a lot more common.

Brilliant response from the police though, seems like they were there within minutes.
    You're right and acid attacks are now replacing knifes.

But it does sound like there was a major incident on a platform around the same time people panicked and reported gun shots.

Any hysteria is going to lead to chaos there given how busy it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems much ado about nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Looks fairly calm but im sure with the police can't be to careful.

Police and fire service are taking it very seriously and have reacted immensely.

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

I'm getting notifications from work to avoid the area even though I'm out of the country at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Depends on the gangs

Manchester likes it's guns.

A distinct lack of running about to find shelter in the live pictures

• Advertisement

Olly Murs tweeted gunshots in Selfridges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I'm guessing it's just firecrackers or some such.

Help!!!! wrote: »

Like he'd know.

No ambulances, no blues and twos, no panic stations at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

RayM wrote: »
    Talk about jumping the gun. They'll be devastated if it turns out that it isn't a terrorist incident.

Let's be honest, you'd love it to be a terrorist attack by a white supremacist. You're just cognizant of the odds.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I hope this really ends up being a nothing story and something good comes of it.

Now he's saying doesn't know what's happening.

Let's be honest, you'd love it to be a terrorist attack by a white supremacist. You're just cognizant of the odds.

I'd love it to be a great big false alarm. Wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

FFS The Daily Mail were literally the only people saying there was a truck involved - talk about scaremongering. So, so irresponsible.

At the moment, all anyone's saying is they heard gunshots. Even on Twitter, no-one's saying they saw anything, just heard it. The police say they haven't located any casualties. Here's hoping this turns out to be a false alarm.

Like he'd know.

No ambulances, no blues and twos, no panic stations at all.

He says he's there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

RayM wrote: »
    I'd love it to be a great big false alarm. Wouldn't you?

Yes

The Metropolitan Police says in a statement:

"To date police have not located any trace of any suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties.

"Officers continue to work with colleagues from British Transport Police in the area of Oxford Circus.

"Updates will be provided as soon as we have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Police were asked across the stations PA system to attend a particular platform , and panic ensued

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ollie Murs and the daily mail - lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'd not be shocked if someone dropped something which sounded like a shot or two and it went from there.

Let's face it you could create mayhem in a city with nothing more than a sudden noise with no clear cause and twitter.

FFS The Daily Mail were literally the only people saying there was a truck involved - talk about scaremongering. So, so irresponsible.

At the moment, all anyone's saying is they heard gunshots. Even on Twitter, no-one's saying they saw anything, just heard it. The police say they haven't located any casualties. Here's hoping this turns out to be a false alarm.

Apparently they found a tweet from a few weeks ago that mentioned a lorry and blood on Oxford street and went with it, jumped to massive conclusions and reported it as fact. It was got to do with a window cleaner who fell and was injured.

They also regularly post threads from Reddit and mumsnet as news stories. Bloody joke, how can they getting away with calling themselves a news source. Being a 'journalist' for them simply involves browsing social media!

Being told no shots in Selfridges! Have no idea the whole store went crazy!

Thanks for the update Oly!

Perhaps Olly Murs turned up at the scene with a bag of cans, some chicken and a fishing rod, like Gazza that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No evidence of gunshots? Tommy Robinson will be devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sky news presenter sounds slightly disappointed that the tube is back open.

Stations have reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's just firecrackers or some such.

Guessing you have never fired a gun or been near one when it is fired. Nothing like firecrackers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement