Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident on Oxford street london?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Probably some idiots fighting over a TV set which dropped caused a bang and caused a load of panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Probably some idiots fighting over a TV set which dropped caused a bang and caused a load of panic.

Olden days maybe - these days it's all flat screens and they don't make much of a bang

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Clegg wrote:
    No evidence of gunshots? Tommy Robinson will be devastated

So will ISIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why did Ollie Murs shoot those people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Daily Mail are to announce 7 minutes of reflection after todays sad non-event.

Lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Worst Islamic attack yet, even Glasgow airport beat this.

BDatk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Clegg wrote: »
    No evidence of gunshots? Tommy Robinson will be devastated

What a stupid stupid comment. These threads always bring out the worst in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Waiting for the day when there will be 4 or 5 threads running simultaneously on AH, about suspected terrorists attacks within minutes of each other. (Hopefully never)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Berserker wrote: »
    Guessing you have never fired a gun or been near one when it is fired. Nothing like firecrackers.

Ladies and gentlemen Chuck Norris has arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

40min after the police said they found nothing and 15min after everything reopened, people are still tweeting things like

"Shots fired in Oxford St! Praying for everyone in London x"
    "If you're in London, call this number for the embassy ... stay safe!"
    "Not London again :( when will this end?"

And others are retweeting them and it's still going...

READ OFFICIAL SOURCES! Social media has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    What a stupid stupid comment. These threads always bring out the worst in people.

Cheer up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mentally ill car?

Good lord the irony. Every time there's an attack you're there with a stupid comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So nothing happened. We can genuine say now that the area in which the incident occurred was full of people with a religion of peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ebbsy wrote: »
    Trump was right. Again.
    You can put the Kleenex away.
    Let's be honest, you'd love it to be a terrorist attack by a white supremacist. You're just cognizant of the odds.
    If this were true wouldn't Ray be eagerly making threads for every time a white supremacist rams a vehicle into innocent people or sets off bomb attacks in Sweden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Apparently they found a tweet from a few weeks ago that mentioned a lorry and blood on Oxford street and went with it, jumped to massive conclusions and reported it as fact. It was got to do with a window cleaner who fell and was injured.

They also regularly post threads from Reddit and mumsnet as news stories. Bloody joke, how can they getting away with calling themselves a news source. Being a 'journalist' for them simply involves browsing social media!

And for some, they're essentially gospel. Good to see the London Met police keeping up their pretty stellar reputation here though, between false alarms, terror attacks and all the other incidents we don't ever hear about in a city that size, those lads really do a great job. I find them very polite and helpful too when I'm over there, even if it does throw you back a bit that they're holding some big f*** off machine gun type jobbie in the airports, train stations, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ebbsy wrote: »
    Trump was right. Again.
    Just quoting this for later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

40min after the police said they found nothing and 15min after everything reopened, people are still tweeting things like

So true. I'm awaiting an official update on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

So it looks like it was a fight between a group of youngsters that triggered the whole thing.

Interesting that this appeared to be the only bit of first hand news that landed it's way onto social media while the likes of the mail and Oly Murs were busy posting second hand bollox.

I'm more concerned in getting crushed and injured in scenes like today than I am in finding myself in the midst of a genuine terrorist incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why did Ollie Murs shoot those people?

Don't be silly! He didn't. He was driving the lorry.

• Advertisement

Daily Mail: Truck ploughs into people. Gunshots.

Oly Murs: I heard gun shots

Reality: two men had an altercation.

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As someone living here, anytime an incident or a scare happens my social media fills up immediately with a load of (usually self-centred) comments. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but there's an ever-increasing trend toward narcissism these days and I think many of the stuff that pops up on Arsebook is simply an attempt to use this type of thing as a 'Look at Meeee' opportunity.

An example is people marking themselves "safe" etc, Jesus it's a city of ten million people like. It's the population equivalent of a car accident occurring in Cork over Christmas and me rushing to social media to tell everyone I'm ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

FTA69 wrote: »
    As someone living here, anytime an incident or a scare happens my social media fills up immediately with a load of (usually self-centred) comments. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but there's an ever-increasing trend toward narcissism these days and I think many of the stuff that pops up on Arsebook is simply an attempt to use this type of thing as a 'Look at Meeee' opportunity.

An example is people marking themselves "safe" etc, Jesus it's a city of ten million people like. It's the population equivalent of a car accident occurring in Cork over Christmas and me rushing to social media to tell everyone I'm ok.

I have a daughter in London and works in the city .I get a text to says she is ok and it is really great to get this and I appreciate it every time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

The likes of him on social media, should exercise caution on social media as some people actually listen to him & gets retweeted & become another problem, i've heard of situations like that in US Malls as mass panic happened in one during the summer.

I always thought he stunk anyway & this proves it:

https://twitter.com/ollyofficial/status/933178649645219842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I always thought he stunk anyway & this proves it:

https://twitter.com/ollyofficial/status/933178649645219842

Ha! :pac: In fairness, he seems to have taken the note in good humour, which many people wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Ha! :pac: In fairness, he seems to have taken the note in good humour, which many people wouldn’t.

Yeah, it looks like he's been a bit of a James Blunt on it :P

Advertisement