Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Sinn Fein want a hard border?

• 24-11-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

You have got to question the timing of Sinn Fein pushing for a vote of no confidence. In less than three weeks, the EU Summit (14/15th Dec) will decide if enough progress has been made in Brexit talks to start discussions over Britain's future relations with the bloc.

The EU will block those talks if Britain does not spell out how it can keep the border free of customs posts and other barriers after Brexit. The absolute worst outcome for Ireland would be a hard Brexit and a hard border.

Ireland has three weeks to try and get an agreement hammered out with Britain about the border. But rather than putting all their energy into that, the government is suddenly distracted and dealing with the prospect of a December general election.

Why would Sinn Fein do that now? Is it really a point of principle about the Dail being misled? Sorry, I don't buy that. I believe Sinn Fein want a hard border and a hard Brexit. It fits their long term goal of a united Ireland. Divide the country physically. Make life intolerable for people and they will clamour for a united Ireland. It may take years of misery. They will wait. And if lives are destroyed in the meantime? Sinn Fein is still at war, and in war there are casualties. All that matters is achieving their goal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well SF have always been anti Europe. Any EU referendum they have always opposed.

However when it came to Brexit they changed their tune, they were in the reamin camp because it allowed them to then produce the narrative "NI voted remain, ergo next step is a united Ireland"

But I do exactly see your point about where a divided island would also play into that narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not sure they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Maglight wrote: »
    You have got to question the timing of Sinn Fein pushing for a vote of no confidence. In less than three weeks, the EU Summit (14/15th Dec) will decide if enough progress has been made in Brexit talks to start discussions over Britain's future relations with the bloc.

The EU will block those talks if Britain does not spell out how it can keep the border free of customs posts and other barriers after Brexit. The absolute worst outcome for Ireland would be a hard Brexit and a hard border.

Ireland has three weeks to try and get an agreement hammered out with Britain about the border. But rather than putting all their energy into that, the government is suddenly distracted and dealing with the prospect of a December general election.

Why would Sinn Fein do that now? Is it really a point of principle about the Dail being misled? Sorry, I don't buy that. I believe Sinn Fein want a hard border and a hard Brexit. It fits their long term goal of a united Ireland. Divide the country physically. Make life intolerable for people and they will clamour for a united Ireland. It may take years of misery. They will wait. And if lives are destroyed in the meantime? Sinn Fein is still at war, and in war there are casualties. All that matters is achieving their goal.

I don't agree with this. To be honest, I don't think it's in Sinn Fein's interest or plans to have an election right now. I think they just put down the confidence motion as tokenism expecting it to be defeated and never dreaming FF would put down a second motion that would threaten the government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If you think for one minute the EU will back Ireland on the border even if the UK pony up the divorce bill, you are not paying attention. Phase 2 will go ahead and border issue will be "parked" and "dealt" with as part of the trade negotiations. Our veto is not worth a penny, compared to what the EU wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

If we exercise our veto, phase 2 can't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the UK stay out of the single market there will have to be a hard border, doesn't matter what any Irish polician wants or wishes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Baralis1 wrote: »
    If we exercise our veto, phase 2 can't go ahead.

'IF'

Do you remember 'IF' we sorted out the banks, the EU would treat us as a "special" case. I confidently predict a fudge on Tuesday and a fudge at the December EU summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think they ultimately want a hard border, but it might suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you think for one minute the EU will back Ireland on the border even if the UK pony up the divorce bill, you are not paying attention. Phase 2 will go ahead and border issue will be "parked" and "dealt" with as part of the trade negotiations. Our veto is not worth a penny, compared to what the EU wants.

I'm not sure you understand the word veto

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Republican dissidents and the DUP want a hard border for completely opposing reasons. Dissidents because they can say that politics and SF have failed to deliver a UI and the DUP to reverse/stall the soft unification of Ireland and attempt to lock in partition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Why would Sinn Fein do that now? Is it really a point of principle about the Dail being misled?

Because its an opportunity to oppose the government and that's more important to them than the actual consequences of not having a fully functioning government in place for the EU summit. They can easily stand back and put the blame on the government for that.

SF like to wield a bit of power, but don't do responsibility very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd say SF put the motion in place for the optics expecting no consequences not realising that FF would get a case of the wobbly sphincters and create a situation that would take the government down. FF are like a junkie that hasn't had their power fix for over six years and they are now getting desperate and illogical with their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gandalf wrote: »
    I'd say SF put the motion in place for the optics expecting no consequences not realising that FF would get a case of the wobbly sphincters and create a situation that would take the government down. FF are like a junkie that hasn't had their power fix for over six years and they are now getting desperate and illogical with their actions.
    Agreed.

However in the national interest I believe Fitzgerald should step down of her own accord and without prejudice.

She herself should recognise the very special position Brexit puts our country in and let the government give it the focus it deserves. Her being right or wrong is secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,242 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think SF did what an opposition party should do - call to account. They didn't call for an election - FF did that, although I don't see why it should automatically result in an election based on the C&S deal. This situation was covered in it and shouldn't necessarily bring down the government. There is no requirement for FG arrogance at this time imo.

If this poll is anything to go on very few in the north seem to have a problem with a sea border politically.
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/11/26/exclusive-poll-unionist-supporters-content-with-east-west-post-brexit-border-controls/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I think SF did what an opposition party should do - call to account. They didn't call for an election - FF did that, although I don't see why it should automatically result in an election based on the C&S deal. This situation was covered in it and shouldn't necessarily bring down the government. There is no requirement for FG arrogance at this time imo.

If this poll is anything to go on very few in the north seem to have a problem with a sea border politically.
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/11/26/exclusive-poll-unionist-supporters-content-with-east-west-post-brexit-border-controls/

If you search Ian Paisley junior’s tweets you’ll see one a while back where he said he’s no problem with a sea customs border
    I wish I’d screengrabbed it at the time,very telling,it may have been deleted
    It’s about 6 months ago I think

Advertisement