Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitor Time

Options
  • 24-11-2017 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Howdy All,
    Been a while since I posted here, and since I got new PC. Much thanks for the help back in 2012 :-D

This time, I will have a total of about €3000 to play with over the next few months to build a new PC. I have €500 now and was thinking of going out on a new monitor (or two). I'm planning on an Intel based build as I have access to a staff discount there, but I'm away from hardware for so long I'm not even sure what to start looking at.

I've filled out the details from the ask for computer build help below, in case there is something else I should consider instead of the monitor(s) for the moment.

Primarily will be used for gaming - I'm more than happy at 1080, don't need to go 4k. but I'm a little sick of playing games on low settings.

1. What is your budget?
    Total - €3000 total - €500 to spend now.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, a little streaming/video editing. Subnautica, PUBG, Divinity Original Sin, Fallout Shadow of Mordor.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Planning on re-using my case a Corsair 600T. I'm intending to move the existing parts into another case, including here for records.
    Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M
    CPU: AMDFX4130
    RAM: 16GB RAM
    Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO & 240GB OCZ Vertex 460
    AMD Radeon HD 6950

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes; would like 2

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Currently rocking a Dell P2312H 23" @1920*1080 - as my main, don't want to go smaller than this.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] N/a

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Interested in checking out a mechanical keyboard, currently using Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 & an Ideazon Zboard (very old).

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Not really

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] All the usual adult ways :-D

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] Monitor now, the rest in the new year Jan/Feb

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] n/a

Am I being unrealistic looking for 2 monitors?
    Should I just get 1 decent one and move my existing primary as my secondary?

Open to all input, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh you would be better off getting a ultra wide monitor instead of two. Easier on the eyes and most can split into two monitors minus the bezel if you had two monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

For under €500 this is the best you can get atm. Would make a great primary monitor and has g-sync. A similar spec 3440x1440 ultra wide with g-sync will cost nearly double that. Only problem is amazon don't deliver this to Ireland but you could use parcel motel if the package would fit.

Problem then is potentially having to return it to amazon if it's faulty.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/tN4NnQ/acer-predator-xb271hua-270-2560x1440-165hz-monitor-umhx1eea01

Your current PC will also struggle badly to drive this thing. Maybe go for the PC first.

Would he not be better off getting a non adaptive sync ultra wide. Should be a lot cheaper.

No and it's not much cheaper either. Ultra wide isn't even supported by a lot of games and you want 3440x1440 which is crazy expensive. The other ultra wide resolutions just don't make sense for a high end build.

He won't make use of the g-sync now but if he's spending 3k over the next few months upgrading everything he will be getting an Nvidia card.

That monitor is a bargain atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

THanks for the responses so far guys.
    What are your thoughts on this HP Omen monitor ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Gaming-Monitor-FreeSync-Refresh/dp/B01N0RPGP7

• Advertisement

Saving very little for a far inferior monitor compared to the one I linked.

No G-sync, 75hz vs 165hz refresh rate, 5ms response vs 1ms response times, a far inferior stand.

Saying that it's far from perfect. There's no such thing as a perfect monitor. There's all kinds of trade offs in the type of panel used, VA, IPS or TN all have pros and cons. The anti glare coating on this panel is supposed to be a little heavy as well. The colour gamut range, viewing angles and contrast varies widely as well between these monitors.

Most of them will take some calibration out of the box to get the results you want as well.

The reason I linked the HP one above, was because it was 32inch

The more and more I look at that Acer one when I look around - I cant seem to find anything with its spec sheet at the same price. The only thing that seems to come close so far is an AOC on Overclockers
    AOC Q2778VQE £209.99
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-q2778vqe-27-2560x1440-tn-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-031-ao.html
    Its a TN with 1ms response and the same resolution, yeah its only 60hz but I dont understand what the benefit/difference between 60hz versus 165hz ?
    2560x1440, 60hz, 1ms

Asus MG278Q 27-inch £387.15
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MG278Q-27-inch-Monitor-Display-Freesync/dp/B013FOMTV0/
    2560 x 1440, 144 Hz, 1 ms,

I get what Freesync and G-Sync do and that they need to be matched with an appropriate card. If I get a monitor without one of these, is the tearing/frame loss going to be that bad on a high end video card? Are they a must have or just the icing on the cake?
    I've spent some time going over side by side comparison videos on YouTube and when the video is paused to show me the tearing I can see it, but if the video isn't paused, I don't seem to notice it.

I have a 144Hz Freesync and yes adaptive sync is so worth it.

144hz means your monitor can display up to 144 frames per second. 60hz means the max is 60. With your budget and your intended purpose high refresh is a must imo.

It will give you a competitive advantage in many games as well as looking buttery smooth. 60hz will look like a blurry slide show in comparison once you get used to it. But again this is subjective. Not everyone has the eyes to really see the difference but imo it's huge.

If you plan on spending up to 3 grand on a PC then 1440p/144hz is the way to go. If you want to spend less then 1080p/144hz will save you about €400-€800 depending on how high you want to push the frame rates.

1440p has nearly double the amount of pixels as 1080p as well.

As for g-sync it's not a must at super high frame rates tearing is less of a problem but tearing is right up there with aliasing as the worst artefact when rendering games. G-sync and high resolution for the most part fixes both of these problems.

Ordered the Acer XB271HUA monitor using An Post Address Pal.

Thanks a million for the help!

I'm going to start looking at the CPU/Motherboard/RAM in January, this will be dependent on what is available through the staff offer programme, but Ill shout when its time.

Thanks again for the help and advice @Bloodbath and @wotzgoingon

• Advertisement

No problem man. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

BloodBath wrote: »

Purchased it as well, was in the market for one and couldnt find anything i liked but this one looks great. Thanks for the recommendation.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Just popping back here with an update. Best monitor I've ever purchased, really happy with it.

Tiny complaint, the power LED is really bright and when the screen and room are particularly dark there is a slight bleed of the led inside the screen enclosure onto the bottom of the screen. Very very tiny bleed and only barely noticeable.

Also picked up this monitor stand and have a Dell 24 inch on the other arm.

Super happy with this purchase, thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    Just popping back here with an update. Best monitor I've ever purchased, really happy with it.

Tiny complaint, the power LED is really bright and when the screen and room are particularly dark there is a slight bleed of the led inside the screen enclosure onto the bottom of the screen. Very very tiny bleed and only barely noticeable.

Also picked up this monitor stand and have a Dell 24 inch on the other arm.

Super happy with this purchase, thanks again for the advice.

Check in the OSB, maybe you can turn the LED off.

Advertisement