Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahim Halawa radio interview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He appeared on Corks Red FM today with his sister Fatima to be interviewed by Neil Prendeville. If he thought he was in for an easy ride ala Tubridy he was mistaken. Starts at 41.46.

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/...17/?autoplay=1

In fairness to Neil Pender he’s been on this story for a while now, asking the real questions beyond the cosy love in that has been portrayed across much of the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Are you listening Tubridy ? That's how an interview is done, ya gombeen

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

road_high wrote: »
    In fairness to Neil Pender he’s been on this story for a while now, asking the real questions beyond the cosy love in that has been portrayed across much of the media.

Yeah, you could tell he'd done his homework. Really caught the pair of them off guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully the clowns in Montrose take note but I'm not hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

For those of us who are pretending to work,

Whats the jist of it?

• Advertisement

Whats the jist of it?

Pinning him down on the active protests he was involved and for how long.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Whats the jist of it?

Called him out on the "I was just coming out of the cinema" story, about the Muslim Brotherhood link, why he was in Eqypt. Gave him enough rope. Halawa lost his cool and struggled throughout. The sister tried to rescue him but she fared almost as badly.

Also questioned him closely on Sharia Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Also questioned him closely on Sharia Law.

Why, did he write it?

Why he was wearing a Palestinian headband on stage too. It’s clear he’s researched this and in great detail.
    Good man Neil!

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why, did he write it?

Did I say he wrote it? But it’s clear he supports it from that interview which is very telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why, did he write it?

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Called him out on the "I was just coming out of the cinema" story, about the Muslim Brotherhood link, why he was in Eqypt. Gave him enough rope. Halawa lost his cool and struggled throughout. The sister tried to rescue him but she fared almost as badly.

Out of all of them the sister comes across as a complete and utter psycho

Out of all of them the sister comes across as a complete and utter psycho

They just wanted selected to answer questions. Anything more probing they went nuts. He’s as bad as her.

Surprised they keep going on air because its doing them far more damage than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No point even going on about this.

You'll be branded racist etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Did I say he wrote it? But it’s clear he supports it from that interview which is very telling.

well, it's actually not.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

well, it's actually not.

He does. If you listen to the interview he speaks in defence of Sharia Law early on.

well, it's actually not.

He said in the interview he follows it- defended Sharia saying it's misrepresented and doesn't mean he believes in pushing people off cliffs for example (repeated that a few times). Clear to me he follows Sharia in some form or other.

He said in the interview he follows it- defended Sharia saying it's misrepresented and doesn't mean he believes in pushing people off cliffs for example (repeated that a few times). Clear to me he follows Sharia in some form or other.

In fairness Sharia law isn't all about decapitating people, it covers things like basic criminal law and business transactions. Certain aspects of it can also be practiced and still be within the bounds of common law.
    If he said he supports it, he should be asked to what extent and as he is residing in, is a citizen of and had support for his release come from a "secular" country he needs to make clear whether or not he considers the law of the country of his citizenship to supersede Sharia Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hey road high, just a heads up your wasting your time arguing with other poster, it'll just go around in circles and finally the thread will be closed, that's what he's trying to do as he has done on other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have to say I was very impressed with the questions asked by the interviewer, he was on Matt Coopers show earlier on in the week and it was a very soft interview.

I don't trust Halawa and I think he is very cagey about letting his guard down and saying what he really thinks but I'm also beginning to think that he's only in the ha'penny place when it comes to those sisters of his.

Ibrahim comes across a little...dim. The way he speaks is dreadful, he'd better if he said less in fact rather than shouting around in circles as he tends to. I get that he's young and possibly uneducated (been in prsion for 4 years).

Have to say I was very impressed with the questions asked by the interviewer, he was on Matt Coopers show earlier on in the week and it was a very soft interview.

I don't trust Halawa and I think he is very cagey about letting his guard down and saying what he really thinks but I'm also beginning to think that he's only in the ha'penny place when it comes to those sisters of his.

Not in that interview...given enough rope he'll hang himself seamlessly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ibrahim comes across a little...dim. The way he speaks is dreadful, he'd better if he said less in fact rather than shouting around in circles as he tends to. I get that he's young and possibly uneducated (been in prsion for 4 years).

His spoken English is very poor for someone who grew up here his grammar especially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Gutted i missed this. Prenderville is a great interviewer when need be. Glad he didn't take the same soft technique the national broadcaster and others have taken.
    Wouldn't trust this halawa guy as far as I'd throw him and the nonsense soft attention paid to him and his family will come back to bite someday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Good god no!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Stheno wrote: »
    His spoken English is very poor for someone who grew up here his grammar especially

I'm no fan of the lad, but a quick run through a number of Irish peoples facebook pages and you'd never think they were raised going by the shocking language and grammar skills.

Gutted i missed this. Prenderville is a great interviewer when need be. Glad he didn't take the same soft technique the national broadcaster and others have taken.
    Wouldn't trust this halawa guy as far as I'd throw him and the nonsense soft attention paid to him and his family will come back to bite someday

You can catch it online. Link in first post.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the lad, but a quick run through a number of Irish peoples facebook pages and you'd never think they were raised going by the shocking language and grammar skills.

Yes but I doubt they are speaking in such a high profile manner discussing such controversial issues and links as Halawa. Are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

well, it's actually not.

And here we go again.

Before the round about ensues can people post transcripts or other proof on what he said about his support or not of Sharia law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Stheno wrote: »

Exactly, there's one particular poster on here who doesn't know the correct spelling of Muslim/Moslem

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Anastasia_

I think his reaction to Neil's questions (i.e. becoming enraged) speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Exactly, there's one particular poster on here who doesn't know the correct spelling of Muslim/Moslem

Actually both are correct Moslem / Muslim

It's exactly the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Listening to this now and Ibrahim starts off with the same angle he did on the Late Late - all designed to gain sympathy from the audience and stress the "I'm just a normal guy like you" narrative.

Neil reels him in and then starts to unravel it all (the research done is very self-evident), at which point both of them start to lose the plot. Agree that the sister (who if you listen during the introduction Neil says wasn't expected) was there to try and control the interview and do damage control when it got "out of hand". Then they try to infer that the interviewer is an Islamophobe/racist etc for asking questions they didn't like.

I'm no more convinced of the tale than I was after the LL (or indeed before it).

• Advertisement

Anastasia_ wrote: »
    I think his reaction to Neil's questions (i.e. becoming enraged) speaks volumes.

He was totally unprepared for it. He's too used to the cotton wool backslapping from the likes of Zappone, O'Gorman and associated media. A little research on his part would have told him he wasn't going to get an easy ride.

Ibrahim got a lot of support from the combined irish left.

Im curious how much the family will return that support now he is home.

Will they for example be at pride next year?

That denigrated into a car crash for the Halawa's

Neil is a clever one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He may have been 'on this story for a while now', but it didn't stop him from coming out with a lot of nonsense.
    "I'm talking about the protest that you were supporting. This protest under this president burned Christian churches..."

Why is he still going around doing interviews anyway?

I want this family to go away, live a quiet life and if I never hear about them again, GREAT.

• Advertisement

Ibrahim got a lot of support from the combined irish left.

Im curious how much the family will return that support now he is home.

Will they for example be at pride next year?

He was probed extensively on gay marriage...he stopped short of saying he actively disapproved. Said the general "I've gay friends" etc.
    Of course he's entitled to his views but at least be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good interview, though some weird exchanges like:

Halawa: I was wearing a headband, it's not a crime.
    Interviewer: An ISIS band it looked like to me.
    Halawa: It was a Palestinian headband.
    Interviewer: Yeah, well this is what the optics look like.

Isn't the interviewer a journalist, and are journalists not supposed to research (which he certainly appears to have done so on much of this interview) and not jump to sensationalist conclusion like 'an ISIS band'?

Either way, some interesting bits there and good to see some tougher questions asked, but I'm really not getting how infatuated some have been with this story - this guy might even have the most threads about him on AH over the last few months/years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Most Muslims in foreign Countries want Sharia implemented. Over 75% of them in Britain,Germany,etc want it. I'm sure we'd get a very similar number if polled the Muslims here.

Why is he still going around doing interviews anyway?

I want this family to go away, live a quiet life and if I never hear about them again, GREAT.

Not sure to be honest they keep digging holes for themselves in every one.

He was probed extensively on gay marriage...he stopped short of saying he actively disapproved. Said the general "I've gay friends" etc.
    Of course he's entitled to his views but at least be honest.

Do we really expect him to be honest (assuming his true position is anti-gay), given the extent of support from the left he got

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Ibrahim owes no answers to anyone in this country. He was found innocent of wrong doing by one of the most corrupt judiciary systems in the world. He was young at the time and possibly made some poor choices and was easily led.

We live in a racist little enclave and this episode shows it.

Oh and thays Neil penderville of Airplane fame.....

Billy86 wrote: »
    Good interview, though some weird exchanges like:

Halawa: I was wearing a headband, it's not a crime.
    Interviewer: An ISIS band it looked like to me.
    Halawa: It was a Palestinian headband.
    Interviewer: Yeah, well this is what the optics look like.

Isn't the interviewer a journalist, and are journalists not supposed to research (which he certainly appears to have done so on much of this interview) and not jump to sensationalist conclusion like 'an ISIS band'?

Either way, some interesting bits there and good to see some tougher questions asked, but I'm really not getting how infatuated some have been with this story - this guy might even have the most threads about him on AH over the last few months/years.

How did he know what an ISIS band looks like?

Do we really expect him to be honest (assuming his true position is anti-gay), given the extent of support from the left he got

Yes. He should spell out his views if he has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Enjoyed listening to the discomfort. Good interviewer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement