Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahim Halawa radio interview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Most Muslims in foreign Countries want Sharia implemented. Over 75% of them in Britain,Germany,etc want it. I'm sure we'd get a very similar number if polled the Muslims here.

wanting it and getting it are 2 different things. there is no chance of sharia law happening in ireland.
    Dev84 wrote: »
    Oh and thays Neil penderville of Airplane fame.....

it is indeed.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ipso wrote: »
    Before the round about ensues can people post transcripts or other proof on what he said about his support or not of Sharia law.

In this interview all he said about support for Sharia was that Sharia told him that he should pray 5 times a day and fast for Ramadan.

Neil Prendeville tried his best to link Halawa with extreme views, but wasn't successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ibrahim owes no answers to anyone in this country. He was found innocent of wrong doing by one of the most corrupt judiciary systems in the world. He was young at the time and possibly made some poor choices and was easily led.

We live in a racist little enclave and this episode shows it.

Oh and thays Neil penderville of Airplane fame.....

Horseh1te. We are entitled to answers- this turnip has cost the state a small fortune in diplomacy, we are perfectly entitled to seek the truth. If you want to label that as racism then off ya go, label label label to your hearts content. It means nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I see the pro-Halawa crowd show up to point out Neil Prendeville once gave himself a treat on a plane. Big deal. Does it negate his research and interview technique ???

road_high wrote: »
    Yes. He should spell out his views if he has them.

Ah here. I'm no IH fan but if every public figure was to spill his true inner views we would have chaos. We don't own him

Phoebas wrote: »
    In this interview all he said about support for Sharia was that Sharia told him that he should pray 5 times a day and fast for Ramadan.

Neil Prendeville tried his best to link Halawa with extreme views, but wasn't successful.

He asked him. Hardly the same as linking them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I see the pro-Halawa crowd show up to point out Neil Prendeville once gave himself a treat on a plane. Big deal. Does it negate his research and interview technique ???

No, but I'd like to hear what he considers an ISIS head band.

Ah here. I'm no IH fan but if every public figure was to spill his true inner views we would have chaos. We don't own him

Is he forced to go on air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

For a fella who was banging on about how he wanted his privacy and return to a being a nobody in the street he seems to be turning into a bit of a media whore.

Is he forced to go on air?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

wanting it and getting it are 2 different things. there is no chance of sharia law happening in ireland.

They probably said the same thing in Sweden and there is now over 50+ Sharia No Go zones. Same in Britain,France,Germany,etc. Its arrogance or willful ignorance to think it could happen here as well. With our weak willed politicians and Gardai it could happen if/when enough are in the Country and take over certain sections.

How does the no go zone work? Is there a check point etc
    And do you have a link?

He asked him. Hardly the same as linking them!
    Very odd interview.

Man gets locked up for years after a political protest. Returns to Ireland and the reporter want to know his views on Gay marriage and Sharia law.

No, but I'd like to hear what he considers an ISIS head band.

Given that the ISIS flag is widely known (You can Google it and it's been on the 6 One and other sources numerous times) I imagine it's the same as the flag but smaller and able to wrap round ones head.

• Advertisement

And do you have a link?

Plenty of them in England- places that are virtual no-go zones for English natives. Especially women.

Very odd interview.

Man gets locked up for years after a political protest. Returns to Ireland and the reporter want to know his views on Gay marriage and Sharia law.

I agree. He often doesn't listen to their answers either. "Ah, we won't dwell on that..."

And do you have a link?

Plenty of them in England- places that are virtual no-go zones for English natives. Especially women.

I know a few people who live near th3n on the North of England.

It's scary even driving by let alone walking near them .

Given that the ISIS flag is widely known (You can Google it and it's been on the 6 One and other sources numerous times) I imagine it's the same as the flag but smaller and able to wrap round ones head.

As far as I know there is a black flag with a specific slogan in white writing, a black background with white writing is not unusual.
    Unless Prendeville saw something that says Up ISIS, he could always find the picture and maybe have someone translate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Horseh1te. We are entitled to answers- this turnip has cost the state a small fortune in diplomacy, we are perfectly entitled to seek the truth. If you want to label that as racism then off ya go, label label label to your hearts content. It means nothing to me.

actually you aren't entitled to anything apart from to discuss the case.
    the "truth" is he went to egypt, was arrested for protesting, was held in jail for 4 years and acquited.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Does his father ever give interviews?
    I never hear him mentioned, I thought he was some sort of big wheel in a mosque here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Im not advocating shakira law but surely a corner stone of our country is to allow other cultures to co-exist in harmony.

the "truth" is he went to egypt, was arrested for protesting, was held in jail for 4 years and acquited.

We paid taxes so he can get here so yeah we're entitled to question him.

I think I decide what questions I think are relevant. I don't need your selective censorship imposed on such a high profile and indeed important case.

Does his father ever give interviews?
    I never hear him mentioned, I thought he was some sort of big wheel in a mosque here?

Does he even speak English for that matter? The da was glossed over very quickly- wonder why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Glad to hear him have to answer tougher questions but no one came out of that well IMO. Neil didn't listen to any answers and often went off on tangents that had nothing to do with the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

4 years locked in an Egyptian prison not knowing if you will ever get out poor basstarrd

But when we dont like the answers we'll move on, ask the question a different way and repeat unti we hear something we want.

Im not advocating shakira law but surely a corner stone of our country is to allow other cultures to co-exist in harmony.

Well that's a bit at odds with "Shakira" Law then :pac:

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Glad to hear him have to answer tougher questions but no one came out of that well IMO. Neil didn't listen to any answers and often went off on tangents that had nothing to do with the interview.

Yes, he only intermittently engaged with them, and demonstrated no evidence of being open-minded on the issues. It was a hatchet job that I think is being received well on boards only because of the soft treatment he has received elsewhere. Two wrongs don't make a right

• Advertisement

Well that's a bit at odds with "Shakira" Law then :pac:

Read the first line of my post re Shakira law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Eh, no, you're not. I'm no fan of his at all but he does these interviews voluntarily. He could tell you to go get ****ed if he wanted.

Yes, he only intermittently engaged with them, and demonstrated no evidence of being open-minded on the issues. It was a hatchet job that I think is being received well on boards only because of the soft treatment he has received elsewhere. Two wrongs don't make a right

No most boardies take pleasure in other peoples misfortune.

Does he even speak English for that matter? The da was glossed over very quickly- wonder why :confused:

AH here, he said the family was here 20 years. He should be well able. Where the hell is he?

If my son was in prison Id never be off the radio/tv!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Very odd interview.

It's not as black and white as that and you know it.

No most boardies take pleasure in other peoples misfortune.

I'm here 12 years and wouldn't agree with that assessment

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Eh, no, you're not. I'm no fan of his at all but he does these interviews voluntarily. He could tell you to go get ****ed if he wanted.

I have no doubt he would do just that.

JJayoo wrote: »
    4 years locked in an Egyptian prison not knowing if you will ever get out poor basstarrd

Theres a lesson here for everyone.

Dont get involved in politics in these type of countries, they dont **** about.
    It looks very like he'd still be doing porridge but for the irish passport.

darkdubh wrote: »
    It's not as black and white as that and you know it.

How are his views on Gay people relevant to his being locked up for protesting in Egypt? :confused:

• Advertisement

Born and reared in firhouse.

I never said he wasnt.

My point is that irish folks need to stay well clear of lunatic arab politics. They dont do things the way we do them at home.

Even worse then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As far as I know there is a black flag with a specific slogan in white writing, a black background with white writing is not unusual.
    Unless Prendeville saw something that says Up ISIS, he could always find the picture and maybe have someone translate it.
    ISIS flag:
    salman-abedi-isis-616833.jpg

Halawa headband:
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Gatling wrote: »
    Exactly, there's one particular poster on here who doesn't know the correct spelling of Muslim/Moslem

Actually both are correct Moslem / Muslim

It's exactly the same

No **** sherlock, I was speaking about a poster, who ironically thanked your post without hint of self awareness by the way, who attacked someone for using the correct spelling Moslem, then claimed the correct spelling was actually Muslem (sic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

No **** sherlock, I was speaking about a poster, who ironically thanked your post without hint of self awareness by the way, who attacked someone for using the correct spelling Moslem, then claimed the correct spelling was actually Muslem (sic)
    I read this and thought you were talking about me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Dev84 wrote:
    Read the first line of my post re Shakira law.

Shakira, thought she was a South American singer. She a law enforcement official now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

No there shouldn't. You come to our Countries you adapt to our culture or laws or get lost. If anyone wants to live under Sharia law then they should pick a Country that already has it and go there immediately. If our flag offends then find one that doesn't offend you and move there immediately.

We should be adopting a "I don't care how it is back home. You're not going to turn our Country into the ****hole you just left."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good on Neil for putting the spotlight on the inexcusable and extremist views of the Muslim brotherhood.

The two Halawas were pathetic when asked some pertinent questions. The brother particularly so.

The sister went into rant mode in a desperate attempt to distract and deflect Neil's questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Shakira, thought she was a South American singer. She a law enforcement official now?

I'd love to live under Shakira law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    No there shouldn't. You come to our Countries you adapt to our culture or laws or get lost. If anyone wants to live under Sharia law then they should pick a Country that already has it and go there immediately. If our flag offends then find one that doesn't offend you and move there immediately.

We should be adopting a "I don't care how it is back home. You're not going to turn our Country into the ****hole you just left."

Nah, Sharia law is one thing but people who move from one country to another will always, invariably, bring some of their culture with them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement