Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahim Halawa radio interview.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Odhinn wrote: »
    Not sure as to official tolerance of minority sects in Egypt so I can't comment.

Well (as ever) its a bit more complicated than that, there's Sunni (broad grouping) and factions/schools with in it. A conservative bunch would be Wahabi Sunnis and the offshoots of that.

Sorry for going a bit off topic,but I know for a fact that Sunni Islam brought havoc to the middle East absolute havoc.

They are against all the other sects of Islam.

They brought nothing but destruction and pain to the middle East and Persia.

The Shia's have an amazing culture of Art, architecture and science.

I was once in a kebab House in a well known Town/City in the West of Ireland.

The guy's who worked there were Shia Muslims, lovely guy's into Irish music, mixed with Christian's, celebrated Christmas and had time for everyone....
    One afternoon I was in que for my order,a bunch of Brummies came in ordered a chicken burger etc
    The guy in the takeaway put the burger into the burning oil, next thing all hell broke loose.
    He was accused of cooking the chicken in Kaffirs oil......
    I'm not any way of a violent nature but I'd have kicked those pricks up and down the road if I had nothing to loose.
    They were shouting and raoring at everyone,and expletives about Kaffirs oil etc
    Guard's and all were called

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Full of people who try to tell people that they are wrong about Islam when the only Muslims they have met are the ones down the local kebab shop or curry house:rolleyes:

Read my post above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

dreamliner wrote: »
    Oh really, and what imam told you that's the interpretation? And I find it very funny how you talk to us on here as if you're the only one who has ever left Ireland or gained an insight into Islam :pac::pac:

It takes little more than a google search to come up with numerous translations of the verses and the surrounding verses to get an idea of the context. I too have spoken to many Muslim friends and colleagues about this and all seem to come at me with the same context and judging by their behaviour and personalities I have no reason to believe otherwise. There are also numerous online lectures by various different scholars from different madh'habs of Islam. None that I have seen offer the poisonous interpretation you tried to push on people here who may not know any better.

I find it potentially dangerous to be trying to suggest to us that none of them should be trusted due to verses you took out of context, again, in this day and age that has potential to be disastrous and we need to be absolutely sure of what we are saying before levelling such allegations against an entire group of people.

I did my best not to laugh at the 'I have Muslim friends'. It sounded Trumpesque. Anyway, perhaps true .. or maybe not ... you know, taqiyya and all that :cool:

I'm not saying that none of them should be trusted because there are many different sects within Islam but any mosque that has connections to the MB should be closely monitored.
    I could not care whether you believe me or not, I have many friends of different race/religion, theres too many people that call racist/bigot when your views are different but thats on them not me

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

Sorry for going a bit off topic,but I know for a fact that Sunni Islam brought havoc to the middle East absolute havoc.

They brought nothing but destruction and pain to the middle East and Persia.

The Shia's have an amazing culture of Art, architecture and science.

I was once in a kebab House in a well known Town/City in the West of Ireland.

search?q=shias+blood&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje_-KBi9rXAhWBJZoKHYfSA1kQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=613#imgrc=AIqj-9k6O0JACM:
    2012112718458141362_8.jpg

These shias?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The truth always outs, those of us who didn't believe the propaganda in the Irish press about this guy and how lovely he is and how butter wouldn't melt. Exposed good and proper, well done to the interviewer.

Well half the population of women of 30 plus are fans of Dorian Gray....

That's a Shia tradition,no worse than a mass tattooing party

You see this is the hypocrisy that baffles me. If they were sunnis you would be scalding them for being blood thristy and barbaric.

The truth always outs, those of us who didn't believe the propaganda in the Irish press about this guy and how lovely he is and how butter wouldn't melt. Exposed good and proper, well done to the interviewer.

Exactly I always thought he wasn't as sunshine lollipop s and rainbows as partrayed.

More like darkness, chainsaws and burning rainbows.....

You see this is the hypocrisy that baffles me. If they were sunnis you would be scalding them for being blood thristy and barbaric.

No need to, Shia's are already.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As far as Islam goes I have many friends that are Muslim, ex Muslim or do not follow the religion that closely so I have had many different conversations about Islam
    Do you tell all your Muslim mates to their faces that you consider each and every one of them to be extremists?

• Advertisement

Oh no they are hurting themselves which somehow makes them as bad as the suicide bombers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No I am not an Arabic speaker but I have heard many say that verses can be construed many different ways.

A religion that's open to interpretation? Surely not!
    Help!!!! wrote:
    full of people who try to tell people that they are wrong about Islam when the only Muslims they have met are the ones down the local kebab shop or curry house

Not that you want to promote stereotypes.

They brought nothing but destruction and pain to the middle East and Persia

You could say that a sect in Sunni islam (wahabaism) is responsible for a lot of it, but throwing that at all Sunnis would be overly harsh imo.

If they are hurting themselves & no one else then fire away. They have done similar in Manchester. The hindus do something similar but not as bloody which is a yearly think in west London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

JJayoo wrote: »
    4 years locked in an Egyptian prison not knowing if you will ever get out poor basstarrd

if he had his way most of us would be in prisons or dead

They do pilgrimages, have saints, a clergy, mortify themselves...all strangely familiar.

Exactly I always thought he wasn't as sunshine lollipop s and rainbows as partrayed.

His welcoming was in an airport with his lunatic friends and family shouting Allah Akbar which was utterly disgraceful, how anyone bought into the whole story is beyond me and just proves how brainwashed some people are to go along with the narrative of the mainstream press. His nutter sister another good example, an "outstanding" citizen indeed.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Let's not forget all those babies he drowned in a pool before filling the pool with petrol and setting it on fire. Then he ate the babies and we saw one of the babies and one of the babies smiled at us.

Er no.

True. I heard he was going to have somebody crucified every 50 yards up both sides of the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Is that Prendervil guy the fella that was jacking off in front of everyone on a plane a few years back?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do you tell all your Muslim mates to their faces that you consider each and every one of them to be extremists?

What even the ex Muslims?
    We have had open conversations on Sharia law, Mohammed, Ramadan plenty of topics. Middle Eastern people dont like weak men thats why they want you to barter at the markets. I like to be straight forward & a few times the conversations got heated but it was OK.
    I did tell them to give me a heads up if there were any terrorist activity around my area:D I think they took it as a joke:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well many Imams say that each verse can be interpreted many different ways so for you a non Arabic speaking person to say either is right or wrong you must be more educated better than an Imam.

you tried to twist the verses to suit what you wanted them to say. they don't fit what you wanted them to say because their actual meaning is different to the made up meaning you gave them.
    as for Halawa he went there to cause trouble & he found it.

what trouble did he go to find?
    The Irish Government should never have helped him get out, especially when there is an Irish man rotting in a Philippines jail for roughly the same time over a supposedly small amount of marijuana

why shouldn't the irish government have helped an irish citizen held in jail without trial for protesting get out?
    what has someone else in another country who was actually charged and found guilty of a crime got to do with ibriham's case, and why should ibriham not have received assistence based on that other case? how do you know the irish government aren't assisting the lad in jail in the philippines?
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This is why the Left loves Muslims so much. They are both willing to lie and deflect to promote their agendas. And uncanny unwillingness to take responsibility for any of agendas don't line up with reality.

Guess what Snowflake, It ain't the Right that's waving around "Refugees Welcome" banners and they aren't the ones yelling "racist","bigot","xenophobe" ,"Islamaphobe" when someone dares questions why we're continually falling for this "refugee crisis" scam. Are you trying to say all the Pro-Open Borders talking heads in RTE and the media are on the right?

no the far right are either spreading racist/bigoted/ xenophobic nonsense, using serious issues to further their own agenda, being violent in some cases, and whining about how everyone is against them.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

smokingman wrote: »
    Is that Prendervil guy the fella that was jacking off in front of everyone on a plane a few years back?

Yes that’s him.

True. I heard he was going to have somebody crucified every 50 yards up both sides of the M50.

Was that before the grand execution of a homosexual on O'Connell street?

smokingman wrote: »

Ja. Mr Nurofen Plus.

• Advertisement

What even the ex Muslims?
    We have had open conversations on Sharia law, Mohammed, Ramadan plenty of topics. Middle Eastern people dont like weak men thats why they want you to barter at the markets. I like to be straight forward & a few times the conversations got heated but it was OK.
    I did tell them to give me a heads up if there were any terrorist activity around my area:D I think they took it as a joke:p
    But you do consider all of your Muslim mates to be extremists. So why are you hanging around with extremists?

Was that before the grand execution of a homosexual on O'Connell street?

Yep. A gay was to be toe-bogged off the top of the GPO by the captain of the winning all-ireland side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

no the far right are either spreading racist/bigoted/ xenophobic nonsense, using serious issues to further their own agenda, being violent in some cases, and whining about how everyone is against them.

LOL. The "Far-Right" aren't the ones throwing acid in Women's faces and have now taken to plowing vehicles into high pedestrian areas.

A religion that's open to interpretation? Surely not!

Not that you want to promote stereotypes.

You could say that a sect in Sunni islam (wahabaism) is responsible for a lot of it, but throwing that at all Sunnis would be overly harsh imo.

Maybe you could explain that to the other poster who thinks their interpretation is right;)

You seem to be an A++ student at doing that yourself

Why is it that only lefties think when people complain about a religion that they mean every single one?

Yep. A gay was to be toe-bogged off the top of the GPO by the captain of the winning all-ireland side.

Ah Jaysus that's a shame, but I mean he still holds these views so we may still get to see it all

• Advertisement

Maybe you could explain that to the other poster who thinks their interpretation is right;)

You seem to be an A++ student at doing that yourself

Why is it that only lefties think when people complain about a religion that they mean every single one?

You have the facts to disprove what I said? The amount of links I can post to prove the context of those verses would be too long and boring, but I certainly can if you insist.

I remember one Sunday seeing Taliban Kelly in Lahinch on the road beside the promenade with his infidels.....
    Standing in front of traffic and not moving out of the way of people driving up the left...
    Like what i said if I had nothing to loose id hit wrong pedal...

Ok not all Sunnis are bad I was harsh in some of my comments.

I'll take that back, I was differential to the difference between the Shia's Suffis and Allawite community compared to the Sunni's

Ah Jaysus that's a shame, but I mean he still holds these views so we may still get to see it all

Any day now. Hook going off the air was the first warning sign the end has begun.

Billy86 wrote: »
    But you do consider all of your Muslim mates to be extremists. So why are you hanging around with extremists?

When did I say I even considered all Muslims to be extremists?

You have the facts to disprove what I said? The amount of links I can post to prove the context of those verses would be too long and boring, but I certainly can if you insist.

No one saying you're version of Quran facts are not right but it is your version. As I said it can be construed many different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

His welcoming was in an airport with his lunatic friends and family shouting Allah Akbar which was utterly disgraceful,
    Land of saints and scholars my arse

Anyway back on topic
    Did ye see the interview on the Late Late Show with Ibrahim Halawa? What a nice young man he seems to be. Well spoken, articulate. I wish there were more like him in Ireland :)

okay, what "truth" was exposed? how did this interviewer expose this "truth" and what "propaganda" was in the media? because the media never ever stated anything about how butter wouldn't melt in relation to ibriham.
    i heard the interview, it was effectively throwing random irrelevant questions and hoping something would stick. it failed.

or more like.
    went to egypt to visit relatives. was at a protest and got arrested. was held in jail for 4 years without trial. was tried and acquitted.
    His welcoming was in an airport with his lunatic friends and family shouting Allah Akbar which was utterly disgraceful, how anyone bought into the whole story is beyond me and just proves how brainwashed some people are to go along with the narrative of the mainstream press. His nutter sister another good example, an "outstanding" citizen indeed.

so, god is great was shouted in an airport and somehow that makes what the mainstream press wrote untrue, whereas it makes what is said by some people with an agenda fact? come on now, you would surely agree that is nonsense?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

You have the facts to prove he was shot in the hand as was claimed? There was no more about this claim after he came out.

littelady wrote: »
    IH starts his interview again mentioning he was born in the Coombe I was a normal 17 year old blah blah

His sister is a moany hole she had again an opportunity to thank the Irish government but no. The Irish government bent over backwards for him, put in 20,000 working hours on him come on. I can't abide her at all. She is so bitter.

IH went over to Egypt to voice his & his dad's views Imo. To get up on stage at a rally eh no that's not what normal 17 year olds do.

Which shows what a scandal it is, a homeless crisis and housing crisis and they focused so much money and effort into this dirtbag and his Islamist followers. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement

Which shows what a scandal it is, a homeless crisis and housing crisis and they focused so much money and effort into this dirtbag and his Islamist followers. Disgraceful.

What would the department of foreign affairs and the Egyptian embassy have been doing towards the housing crisis had they not been working on the halawa case?

the homeless and housing crisis are separate issues. this "dirtbag" who was acquitted of all charges was being helped by the department of foreign affairs. this was under a completely different budget which was already budgeted for, and which could not be turned over to the housing or homeless issue if not spent by the department.

the homeless and housing crisis are separate issues. this "dirtbag" who was acquitted of all charges was being helped by the department of foreign affairs. this was under a completely different budget which was already budgeted for, and which could not be turned over to the housing or homeless issue if not spent by the department.
    Still a waste of money on an Islamist. Good job to the foreign office.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    LOL. The "Far-Right" aren't the ones throwing acid in Women's faces and have now taken to plowing vehicles into high pedestrian areas.
    October 2015.

https://www.thelocal.se/20170614/man-with-alleged-nazi-links-admits-driving-his-car-into-refugee-demonstration-in-malmo-sweden
    A 22-year-old man with suspected neo-Nazi links has confessed to driving his Volvo into an Iraqi demonstration outside the Migration Agency in Malmö. Police are investigating it as hate crime.

The man has admitted driving his car into a demonstration of around 20-30 Iraqi nationals protesting Sweden's new and stricter asylum rules outside the Migration Agency in Malmö on two occasions.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/james-alex-fields-new-charges-charlottesville-car-attack/
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Charlottesville police have added charges against the man authorities say drove his car into a group of counter-protesters at a white nationalist rally.

Police said Friday that they had charged James Alex Fields Jr. with five additional felony charges -- two counts of malicious wounding and three counts of aggravated malicious wounding.

Fields, 20, is accused of ramming his car into a crowd of counter-protesters Saturday, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and wounding dozens more. He has already been charged with second-degree murder and other charges.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/london-mosque-attack-driver-charged-terrorism-170623112356082.html
    The British van driver suspected of ramming Muslim worshippers near a London mosque appeared in court on Friday charged with "terrorism-related murder and attempted murder".

Darren Osborne, 47, appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court in central London, speaking to confirm his name, age and that he had no fixed address.

The Crown Prosecution Service said it would argue that Osborne, "motivated by extreme political views and a personal hatred of Muslims, acted to kill, maim, injure and terrify as many people as possible" during this week's attack.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/east-london-acid-attacks-muslim-resham-khan-jameel-muhktar-south-asian-residents-race-hate-crimes-a7821701.html
    A spate of acid attacks has left some Muslim residents of east London afraid to leave their homes.

Fears have been heightened after 21-year-old aspiring model Resham Khan and her cousin Jameel Muhktar, 37, suffered horrific injuries when an attacker squirted acid through their car window in Newham, east London, on 21 June.

Police initially said they had no evidence the attack was racially or religiously motivated.

They reclassified it as a hate crime, however, after Mr Muhktar insisted Islamophobia was involved, and after posts expressing sympathy for the far-right were allegedly found on the Facebook page of John Tomlin, 24, who is being sought for questioning in relation to the incident.

As news of the attack spread, social media users began to report other acid attacks, with some speculating that Muslims or people of Asian appearance were being targeted.

When Muslims are victims of an attack, we refuse to call it terrorism
    The incidents included a man of Asian origin having a noxious substance squirted at him while driving in Commercial Road, Tower Hamlets, on Thursday, with the attackers stealing his car as soon as he got out to seek help.

There were also social media reports of two attacks in East Ham on Friday – one involving a woman being partially burned on her doorstep by someone pretending to be a delivery man, and the other of a woman being targeted by moped-driving acid attackers in the Plashet Grove area.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=3iwlDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA231&lpg=PA231&dq=far+right+acid+attack+-mukhtar&source=bl&ots=ISCFfGn00K&sig=XkDtApzNb13Epg_bXU0tiirJmkQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx6ZutlNrXAhVfOMAKHZIIAC44ChDoAQhbMAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
    Untitled1.png

When did I say I even considered all Muslims to be extremists?
    You've said it so often that it might as well be your sig line at this point:
    Because in my experience there is no moderate Muslim.
    Well no I have actually sat down with a number of Muslims & spoke about Sharia/Gays/Women & none convinced me that they were moderate's & these guys had lived in the UK for a long time.
    From my experience I have met no moderate Muslim.
    It is my personal experience that there are no moderate Muslims.
    As I've said before in my experience there are no moderate Muslims.
    Exactly right....& why did none of the so called moderate muslims coming out of the mosque condemn Choudray rather than crowding around the protesters & throwing things at them

So either you're knowingly hanging around with extremists, or you're telling porkies.

Whats all that got to do with IH & Ireland?
    Sure anyone could pull off a load more with Islamic attacks....Egypt yesterday??
    It has to do with correcting the profoundly ignorant and incorrect statement made by that poster that "The "Far-Right" aren't the ones throwing acid in Women's faces and have now taken to plowing vehicles into high pedestrian areas." - it's right there at the top of the post you quoted. Stupidity at that level deserves to be shown for what it is, and if you have an issue with the thread going off topic, you'd be better off bringing it up with them and their claims on acid attacks, terrorism using vehicles, open borders and unchecked immigration.

i heard the interview, it was effectively throwing random irrelevant questions and hoping something would stick. it failed.

Random questions that a lot of Irish people wanted answers to, so not irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Whats all that got to do with IH & Ireland?
    Sure anyone could pull off a load more with Islamic attacks....Egypt yesterday??

The Left love to deflect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oh really, and what imam told you that's the interpretation? And I find it very funny how you talk to us on here as if you're the only one who has ever left Ireland or gained an insight into Islam

It takes little more than a google search to come up with numerous translations of the verses and the surrounding verses to get an idea of the context. I too have spoken to many Muslim friends and colleagues about this and all seem to come at me with the same context and judging by their behaviour and personalities I have no reason to believe otherwise. There are also numerous online lectures by various different scholars from different madh'habs of Islam. None that I have seen offer the poisonous interpretation you tried to push on people here who may not know any better.

I find it potentially dangerous to be trying to suggest to us that none of them should be trusted due to verses you took out of context, again, in this day and age that has potential to be disastrous and we need to be absolutely sure of what we are saying before levelling such allegations against an entire group of people.

I did my best not to laugh at the 'I have Muslim friends'. It sounded Trumpesque. Anyway, perhaps true .. or maybe not ... you know, taqiyya and all that :

As a recent arrival on boards you aint half set yourself up as the authority on Islam on this thread.

Pity you can't get all your "facts" correct though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement