Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahim Halawa radio interview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I was always dodgy about this. Guy gets Irish citizenship, behaves like a gung ho opinionated Egyptian and when it goes app engages the qualities of his adopted nation to bail him out. If he was truly Irish though he should have been more concerned with the price Irish farmers we're getting for milk than the unpredictable politics of Egypt. If your first priority is Egypt then be their citizen not ours!!
    What are you on about?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

smurgen wrote: »
    You have the facts to prove he was shot in the hand as was claimed? There was no more about this claim after he came out.

Dreamliner you never came back to me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

Dreamliner you never came back to me on this.

I struggle to see what relevance what I was talking about has to do with Ibrahim's hand? I haven't a clue I wasn't in the cell with him :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....did his hand become clearly visible on the radio?

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....did his hand become clearly visible on the radio?

Yes the facebook live feed of the interview is on redfm's page.all 40 mins.hand looks fine.strange that.

dreamliner wrote: »
    I struggle to see what relevance what I was talking about has to do with Ibrahim's hand? I haven't a clue I wasn't in the cell with him :confused:

Do you think they were lying about his hand being damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

Again, I'm not sure how you expect me to know this. Anyway, I don't see it to be beyond the realm of logic and reason that in such a violent environment with weapons two a penny, that someone shot and hit his hand. Have you seen some of the footage from that day? Being shot in the hand would be the bare minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Clearly they were. Anyone who takes that at face value needs a head wobble.

Not the only lie he has been caught in hence the need for more questions which we are entitled to ask, regardless of what other may say.

Again, I'm not sure how you expect me to know this. Anyway, I don't see it to be beyond the realm of logic and reason that in such a violent environment with weapons two a penny, that someone shot and hit his hand. Have you seen some of the footage from that day? Being shot in the hand would be the bare minimum.

You did say you were a school friend of his and are currently plugging the Uni tour dates so I think it's a fair assumption.

The burden of proof is on them.they claimed his fingers were barely hanging on and there was enter and exit wounds.based on what i see i would see that as not being truthful.such a fabricated claim makes me wonder what else they are fabricating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

My point is that what he was saying was very plausible. Having grown up in a border area, Im well aware how easy it is to become an activist.

It seems to me that people are taking that context and jumping straight to Sharia and Isis conclusions.

Setting the Sharia & IsIs stuff completely aside,the use of the two dead friends account,as an explaination for his sudden burst of youthful activism does'nt fit with what is known of the Halawa's 2013 timeline.

Put at it's simplest,and by his own recent account,it appeas that at least 4 of the children were already well embedded in "activism" before the deaths of his two friends.

You suggest that because it was easy for Ibrahim to become active at that time he embraced the opportunity,however from the earlier (now deleted) coverage it appears Activism is somewhat more embedded in the family culture than they appear comfortable with in their Western European,Irish context.

Different people listen and comprehend at different levels,and this is true across the board,just as you find the Hawalas accounts plausible,I find them increasingly IMplausible....It's down to personal interpretation and individuality.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm glad we have gotten back on track with regards this topic.

Has anyone here considered going to any of his talks across the country and asking him the questions directly? He's in UCC tomorrow, was in DCU last week, should be in Trinity and UCD as well sometime in the near future. You can meet him and ask him directly. No nonsensical speculation on boards, put it to bed once and for all.

As in the the previous interview - it will depend on the willingness of the interviewee to detail his experiences openly and without reservation. Otherwise we are just catching pigeons....

gozunda wrote: »
    I'm glad we have gotten back on track with regards this topic.

Has anyone here considered going to any of his talks across the country and asking him the questions directly? He's in UCC tomorrow, was in DCU last week, should be in Trinity and UCD as well sometime in the near future. You can meet him and ask him directly. No nonsensical speculation on boards, put it to bed once and for all.

As in the the previous interview - it will depend on the willingness of the interviewee to detail his experiences openly and without reservation. Otherwise we are just catching pigeons....

I can guarantee that if he spoke at my college there is zero chance that any questions other than those relating to missing Larry Gogan would be stamped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You have the facts to prove he was shot in the hand as was claimed? There was no more about this claim after he came out.

There was. He said in his interview with Tubridy that he could only half close his hand. He showed us and everything

About 2 minutes before he closed the exact same hand into a fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There was. He said in his interview with Tubridy that he could only half close his hand. He showed us and everything

he was demonstrating how far he could close his hand when shot back in 2013, 4 years ago. he never claimed that he couldn't close his hand now, in 2017.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

he was demonstrating how far he could close his hand when shot back in 2013, 4 years ago. he never claimed that he couldn't close his hand now, in 2017.

I'm asking VHI can I change my physio to an Egyptian jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Just make sure you're locked up with the same doctor.

deco nate wrote: »

Just make sure you're locked up with the same doctor.

I'll just ask for the solitary wing with the top notch plastic surgeon.

Imagine what the man could do given proper equipement and facilities!

• Advertisement

Imagine what the man could do given proper equipement and facilities!

I hear the Nobel Committee calling!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Why are some people actually arguing the case for this guy? His whole story smells of sh*t. Imagine travelling to Egypt from Ireland to protest in favour of implementing the barbaric Sharia law into the constitution. No wonder he got locked up.

Why are some people actually arguing the case for this guy?

that's the thing, there is no actual case. he was acquitted of all charges.
    His whole story smells of sh*t. Imagine travelling to Egypt from Ireland to protest in favour of implementing the barbaric Sharia law into the constitution. No wonder he got locked up.

no no, he went to egypt to visit relatives and then went to a protest or more protests. the protests were over the murdering of protesters protesting the overthrow of the government. so he didn't get locked up for supposibly wanting sharia law to be implemented into the constitution. murdering protesters, now there is a crime, and who caried that out? the egyptian military.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Why are some people actually arguing the case for this guy?

His whole story smells of sh*t. Imagine travelling to Egypt from Ireland to protest in favour of implementing the barbaric Sharia law into the constitution. No wonder he got locked up.

no no, he went to egypt to visit relatives and then went to a protest or more protests. the protests were over the murdering of protesters protesting the overthrow of the government. so he didn't get locked up for supposibly wanting sharia law to be implemented into the constitution. murdering protesters, now there is a crime, and who caried that out? the egyptian military.

So not at the flicks and things went iffy ?

Gotcha. There's one lie he's told at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Is there any evidence of his two "best friends" getting killed?

Is there any evidence of his two "best friends" getting killed?

I highly doubt that.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt that.

That's why asked surly he would have more to say about them than just they were killed. Names, photos etc.

Pmsl, have you reached the Earth's core yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's what he said, is it? You sure about that?

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's what he said, is it? You sure about that?

that's what happened.

that's what happened.
    Please explain how you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭humphrys

humphrys wrote: »
    I think what EOTR is saying is that because the video of Ibrahim saying he has been at the protests since 28 June (i.e. 6 weeks before arrest) is on my website, therefore that is not Ibrahim in the video saying he has been at the protests since 28 June.

Is that your theory, EOTR? Don't be shy. Spell out your theory.

End of the Road, you never answered my question.

because i watched the late late show interview where he gave the demonstration.

Ahh, ookk..... Not what you're posts are telling us. Might wanna read back on you're very own posts there...(look back at the post you made about him getting shot in the hand. and how iyo, it's fine now) one of many..

I still find it incredible that he got no medical assistance from the Egyptian government on medical issues. but by sheer luck he was put in a cell with a doctor that was locked up for the same demonstration to and he healed his hand. While in prison, without medical tools

Okay. And your proof he wasnt lying is ..... ???

that's what happened.

Well it's not. Because I just watched it back on the RTE Player right now and this is what he said. ''I can't bend it properly, it doesn't close more than that'' and shows Ryan. He's talking present tense, not about four years ago. You've been exposed as a liar again.

Here's the link. Go to 13:15

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-late-late-show-68/10798264/

Can't wait for your snivelling response, if it comes.

You do know that clip is still on the rte website.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-late-late-show-extras-30003017/10798275/

11 minute mark is the demonstration.

He said no such thing, you're as big a liar as he is.

it was 4 years since he was shot, so i presume that his hand healed within that timeframe. so him closing his hand, just like the whole appearance on the lls doesn't disprove that he was shot, and that his hand didn't suffer injury at the time. the way he stated it says to me that at the time of being shot, he couldn't close his hand all the way, and he can now.

Just quoting to show how obtuse you are.

i did see the interview. he was definitely demonstrating how much he could close his hand when he was shot and didn't state in anyway that it wasn't healed now.

You watched it with ear plugs in so or else you're a liar.

Go to 13:15

Well it's not. Because I just watched it back on the RTE Player right now and this is what he said. ''I can't bend it properly, it doesn't close more than that'' and shows Ryan. He's talking present tense, not about four years ago. You've been exposed as a liar again.

Here's the link. Go to 13:15

Can't wait for your snivelling response, if it comes.

yeah he was demonstrating how it worked after he was shot.

He did, you're a liar. Look forward to the backtracking, ignoring or sweeping under the rug.

• Advertisement

chief-wiggum.png?fit=500%2C375&ssl=1

use a shovel it's quicker than using a spade to dig a hole.

You do know that clip is still on the rte website.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-late-late-show-extras-30003017/10798275/

11 minute mark is the demonstration.

He said no such thing, you're as big a liar as he is.

Just watched it. Again.

Yep. Be interested to see the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I can't believe some people are still getting hysterical over this. Has any new evidence come to light to prove that he is guilty of anything, or is it just the same mentally deranged loons spinning regurgitated conspiratorial nonsense?

Never mind, I've just read the last few pages, same old, same old.

He said he can't close it now. He then closes it. He lied. I saw. The nation saw. I watched it again just now. I linked it above. You can watch it again. Have some integrity and/or credibility. It's ok to admit you were wrong..... or lying through your teeth.

dav3 wrote: »
    I can't believe some people are still getting hysterical over this. Has any new evidence come to light to prove that he is guilty of anything, or is it just the same mentally deranged loons spinning regurgitated conspiratorial nonsense?

Never mind, I've just read the last few pages, same old, same old.

Yeah "conspiracy theory" unusually this time solved by watching a three week old episode of the Late Late.

Plus "mentally deranged" is a tad harsh for people who can see something with our own eyes and dispute someone else's version of it.

So you are telling us after he was shot? A finger that was hanging off and he could close it like that? But now it's fully healed he can make a fist.

Think about it, a finger THAT WAS HANGING OFF?
    Amazing...

He said he can't close it now. He then closes it. He lied. I saw. The nation saw. I watched it again just now. I linked it above. You can watch it again. Have some integrity and/or credibility. It's ok to admit you were wrong..... or lying through your teeth.

i'm satisfied that it was exactly as i said it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-dav3, do not post in this thread again. Reason-being a bit of a dick

• Advertisement

i'm satisfied that it was exactly as i said it was.

Sums you up perfectly.

It's right there in black and white and living colour and you simply refuse to see it. You've zero credibility if that's your stance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement