Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People taking calls on public transport

• 24-11-2017 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Especially business calls. Anyone else hate this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Depends on the volume and the hack of their voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sorry, I can't hear you over my noise cancelling earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Are they not entitled to answer their phones ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I tend to ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

:(
    Pheonix10 wrote: »

Anyone who has a full on conversation (regardless of it being business or personal, personal is normally worse) using the loudest voice they can project while on public transport at 7:30am deserves a good shoeing.

I hear the gobsh!tes every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Provided they aren't shouting all over the bus/train/tram then no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I hate it op, especially when they talk sh#t, I hate people waffling on phones In the bookies too, tis usually common folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Pheonix10 wrote: »

what do you do if the phone rings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

If someone does phone me on any public transport i will answer the phone and just say sorry i cant talk now will phone you back asap and hang up . simple as .:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Public transport is for peasants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sorry, I'm just about to go through a tun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Grayditch wrote: »
    Depends on the volume and the hack of their voice.

Yeah it's usually grand but few things are more annoying that being in public transport in sh*te weather after a long day and having "that person" who feels they need to speak louder than the rest of people on the bus/train/etc combined, or the person on the other end won't be able to hear them.

It always amazes me when I see someone who does that because the above is genuinely the only reason I can think as to why they do it, which as close to a "the cows in here are very small, but the cows out there are far away" situation as you could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Are they not entitled to answer their phones ?

I know. This ranks really low on the things to get upset or outraged about scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Bluetooth earphones, probably one of my better investments, I can yak away and I just look like I'm talking away to myself :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Omackeral wrote: »
    I know. This ranks really low on the things to get upset or outraged about scale.

Not at all. Civilised countries have quiet carriages precisely to avoid this kind of crap. Wouldn’t work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't really notice. Rush hour public transport isn't exactly quiet so I don't feel like they're breaking any wonderful peace and quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I save my rage for people playing music or watching shows without headphones on public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bus%2Bwankers.jpg

We need to ban embedded images on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I hate it op, especially when they talk sh#t, I hate people waffling on phones In the bookies too, tis usually common folk

Do any other type frequent bookies ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do any other type frequent bookies ?!

Horsey folk and the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Horsey folk and the unemployed.

As he said, common folk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Not at all. Civilised countries have quiet carriages precisely to avoid this kind of crap. Wouldn’t work here.

Plenty of “Phone-Free” train carriages this summer when I was going about south east England.
    They’re very obedient though. You’d still have ignoramuses here blethering away from Kildare to Limerick Junction.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Plenty of “Phone-Free” train carriages this summer when I was going about south east England.
    They’re very obedient though. You’d still have ignoramuses here blethering away from Kildare to Limerick Junction.

Yeh.

It has to be self policed and there are problems with that in Ireland.

Yeh.

It has to be self policed and there are problems with that in Ireland.

A lot of Irish train users would see that phone free sign as a challenge to their “rights” the same as some see the “seat reserved for Mary O’Brien sign” as a challenge. Won’t work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

My new thing is wanting to kill people watching absolute muck on Snapchat with no headphones whilst on the bus... or video calls 😠 do they not realise it's firstly on loud speaker and secondly they are looking at me sitting behind you and at that makes me uncomfortable 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I lock eyes with them, and then laugh.

Whilst listening to my metal.

It's fun :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Imagine having a personal communication device... and using it for it's intended purpose.!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Some people are annoyed by everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Doesn’t bother me but what I see more an more is FaceTime calls in public, so both sides of the conversation are bared to the public. Doesn’t bother me either, just weird. Not something I’d do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

If someone is using an indoor voice, I’ve no issue with it. I don’t understand a blanket objection to it. At low volume, how is it different to someone conversing with a travelling companion?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I consider it rather rude, unless it’s an urgent call. So many people seem to shout into their mobile phones on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I consider it rather rude, unless it’s an urgent call. So many people seem to shout into their mobile phones on the bus.

And the ones who aren’t shouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The general consensus seems to be that’s it’s OK, provided you use your “inside” voice. Some absolute tools love to raise their voice all the way up to 11 when they’re on the phone. Like they want everyone to know how awesome their life is. They’re the type I can’t stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no issue with the matter once people aren't screaming at one another. I don't really get why people expect everybody to be quiet in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

kill them with fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I don't mind people talking on their phones on public transport if they use a normal tone of voice. It's the shouty conversations I can't stand. Some people can't seem to travel on a bus without gabbing on their phone, they make one loud call after another for the entire journey.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Public transport is for peasants.

What are you, royalty?

latest?cb=20060629183020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

As others have said, it's grand so long as it isn't too loud. I rarely use public transport, and if I do, rarely get calls but I'd have no problem taking it. My brother says I'm a low-talker in general so I presume I am on the phone too.

A few weeks ago , I was in Dublin going to a gig and got the LUAS into the city centre. I was listening to music (that wasn't very loud) when two lads get on, and one of them sat beside me. After a few minutes, he decided he wanted to listen to music too, so he plays some really bad dance music on his phone...out loud. With no headphones. Now, that's annoying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think there's a difference between doing at it 8am and doing it at 4pm. I used to commute by train at around 7:45am, the train I got came from either Kilkenny or Waterford so those people had been on the train since around 6am and obviously in need of the extra sleep. Then you'd have people get on and have full blown business meetings by phone at the loudest volume possible for the remaining 30 - 45 minutes of the train during.
    I think there should be one carriage for those muppets making loud phone calls so they can all be enclosed in their own self importance.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    And the ones who aren’t shouting?

...are still spoiling the peace and quiet of others who manage to travel and use electronic devices etc silently.
    There should be silent carriages here as there are in lots of other countries.

erica74 wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between doing at it 8am and doing it at 4pm. I used to commute by train at around 7:45am, the train I got came from either Kilkenny or Waterford so those people had been on the train since around 6am and obviously in need of the extra sleep. Then you'd have people get on and have full blown business meetings by phone at the loudest volume possible for the remaining 30 - 45 minutes of the train during.
    I think there should be one carriage for those muppets making loud phone calls so they can all be enclosed in their own self importance.

Also for those that do have 'no phone' or 'silent carriage' system it'd be nice if we could get immunity from the law for smashing up someone's phone so long as you can show they use having a shouting competition with LOUD TONY on the other end, or decide headphones are beneath them and their music/TV show/social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Not an issue unless they’re shouting at the top of their lungs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

erica74 wrote: »

I get the train that leaves Limerick around 5ish each morning (I pick it up later like!!).

There is a mix of people who want 2 hits more sleep and those who want to conduct full on business meetings by phone.

I got on one morning last week and your man by the window had papers spread out on the table, a mobile on table in speakerphone and a "colleague" sitting diagonally opposite!!!! He refused to move saying "we're in a meeting"

It's a fcuking TRAIN!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Do we not have silent carriages in Ireland? I thought I saw signs for them when I was on the train. Though people were on their phones regardless, maybe some didn't see the signs to be fair. I am pretty sure others just ignored the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Do we not have silent carriages in Ireland? I thought I saw signs for them when I was on the train. Though people were on their phones regardless, maybe some didn't see the signs to be fair. I am pretty sure others just ignored the signs.

You're right !

They're usually the front carriage on the Cork train and are roundly ignored. There is usually a train host in the evening and he will remind people of the notice but once s/he's gone....!!!!

Ignorant people annoy me greatly.

All of life is exposed on public transport. There are so many opportunities for people's true colours to appear. Seat hoggers on a busy train are the absolute worst. I see them and immediately assume they are selfish and self-absorbed. Thankfully I have no problem saying "is this seat taken".

Then you have the uninterested parents whose kids use the aisles as a playground. Or the young wans with youtube videos playing loudly and not an earphone in sight. I'm sitting on a train right now. It's packed. I had to ask the elderly woman if there was anyone on the inside seat and she was not happy. Neither was her daughter. There was much humming and hawing.

I love observing people so I kind of think of it like being at the zoo :)

had to ask the elderly woman if there was anyone on the inside seat and she was not happy. Neither was her daughter. There was much humming and hawing.
    I wouldn't be happy if you were sitting on me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

All of life is exposed on public transport. There are so many opportunities for people's true colours to appear. Seat hoggers on a busy train are the absolute worst. I see them and immediately assume they are selfish and self-absorbed. Thankfully I have no problem saying "is this seat taken".

Perfectly fine on a busy bus/train. I never understand why people do it on one that's almost empty tough! One man had an a thing about sitting beside me before!

• Advertisement
Advertisement