Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People taking calls on public transport

Comments

Billy86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy if you were sitting on me either.

Ah you would be.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I wouldn't be happy if you were sitting on me either.

You would if you've seen her butt!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah you would be.

:p

After several lengthy minutes of staring at your username, studying the consonant to vowel ratio, and slowly mouthing the pronunciation one syllable at time as if I had suffered some form of brain injury, I then conferred with my long time colleague of the last 6-8ish minutes in the esteemed Don Kiddick. Upon Mssr. Kiddick's relaying of the findings of his research to me, I figured it most pertinent to google 'Persepoly' and found the first result to be you you essentially stating that "Yes I am indeed a woman. No willy here", and so I have decided to accept your offer for various gratuitous and scantily clad photographs. But do begin subtle and mild, for I have a very delicate constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Patww79 wrote: »
    Irish people never heed anything like that. Everything is only a suggestion for if you feel like it.

The majority are brutal at it.

We don’t self police it. English people will get rude about queue jumping and breaking these rules, and you need people prepared to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

We don’t self police it. English people will get rude about queue jumping and breaking these rules, and you need people prepared to do that.

Mostly the problem here is that we are such a small population.
    if you start remonstrating with a stranger over their bad manners they’ll turn out to be your mothers second cousin or your bosses sister so it’s too risky.
    English people don’t have such issues.
    Nobody knows anyone else.
    That’s why it’s such a great place to live for people like me.

After several lengthy minutes of staring at your username, studying the consonant to vowel ratio, and slowly mouthing the pronunciation one syllable at time as if I had suffered some form of brain injury, I then conferred with my long time colleague of the last 6-8ish minutes in the esteemed Don Kiddick. Upon Mssr. Kiddick's relaying of the findings of his research to me, I figured it most pertinent to google 'Persepoly' and found the first result to be you you essentially stating that "Yes I am indeed a woman. No willy here", and so I have decided to accept your offer for various gratuitous and scantily clad photographs. But do begin subtle and mild, for I have a very delicate constitution.

And I can assure you that Don Kiddick has no experience of my posterior visual or otherwise.

And I can assure you that Don Kiddick has no experience of my posterior visual or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I generally find if someone has a loud ringtone they are 99.9875% going to be an out and out loud obnoxious thoroughbred bollickeen disturbing the aura in the rest of the carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

HELLO!

NO.............. I'M ON THE TRAIN.....

WHAT........?

NO,
    THE TRAIN!!!

Contemporary reference for the kids there.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Agricola wrote: »
    HELLO!

NO.............. I'M ON THE TRAIN.....

WHAT........?

NO,
    THE TRAIN!!!

Contemporary reference for the kids there.

HOW IS IT!?

CPHyUTtXAAAPrUI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's a public space, so don't mind too much as long as they're not too loud.

I really don't want to know every intimate detail, some people on phones on public transport don't seem to appreciate this though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You're right !

They're usually the front carriage on the Cork train and are roundly ignored. There is usually a train host in the evening and he will remind people of the notice but once s/he's gone....!!!!

Ignorant people annoy me greatly.

The problem is Ireland.
    If people ignore yellow boxes, loading bays, disabled spaces or park deliberately in parent and child spaces because they don't agree with them and when clamped simply cut off the clamp, they're going to laugh at the concept of quiet carriages. Let's not even mention water charges.
    And If challenged will either laugh it off or get aggressive.
    It's the 1916 rebel spirit, people are such rebels, sticking it to the man, etc...
    Just look at the example of reserved seats and how often people ignore them, plonk themselves down and just shrug their shoulders when challenged.
    Silent carriages can work anywhere in the world, but Ireland no chance.

Back to the OP, people on phones don't bother me unless they shout. Maybe they're talking to their wive or kids who haven't seen them all day or all week. It's people who squirm on their seats and get all stressed and bothered about what other people do who maybe should concern themselves with their own business instead of that of other people. Maybe a chill pill is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I don't give a sh1t unless it's a business call, and even then I only really give a sh1t if the person is making a point of making their voice reverberate throughout the carriage. Self important **** who don't seem to realise that half their spoofing is a data protection breach.

The problem is Ireland.
    If people ignore yellow boxes, loading bays, disabled spaces or park deliberately in parent and child spaces because they don't agree with them and when clamped simply cut off the clamp, they're going to laugh at the concept of quiet carriages. Let's not even mention water charges.
    And If challenged will either laugh it off or get aggressive.
    It's the 1916 rebel spirit, people are such rebels, sticking it to the man, etc...
    Just look at the example of reserved seats and how often people ignore them, plonk themselves down and just shrug their shoulders when challenged.
    Silent carriages can work anywhere in the world, but Ireland no chance.

Back to the OP, people on phones don't bother me unless they shout. Maybe they're talking to their wive or kids who haven't seen them all day or all week. It's people who squirm on their seats and get all stressed and bothered about what other people do who maybe should concern themselves with their own business instead of that of other people. Maybe a chill pill is in order.

The problem isn’t unique to Ireland but where we are unique is that a percentage of the middle classes who would be shamed out of it in other countries continue with this behaviour.

Like the story about the two people having a meeting on the train. Could happen in England but they would stop and not be aggressive when challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

splinter65 wrote: »
    ...are still spoiling the peace and quiet of others who manage to travel and use electronic devices etc silently.
    There should be silent carriages here as there are in lots of other countries.

How is someone talking quietly on a phone any more annoying than two people chatting to each other at the same volume?

You’re saying it’s annoying at any volume but that doesn’t make logical sense. Unless you also don’t like travelling companions talking to each other? Which would very precious altogether.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    How is someone talking quietly on a phone any more annoying than two people chatting to each other at the same volume?

You’re saying it’s annoying at any volume but that doesn’t make logical sense.

Yeh. It’s all annoying. Shut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It can be rather annoying, yesterday listening to a lad with a dumb Cavan accent speaking loudly on the phone for 15 mins, not a great start to the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Taking a call on the train is no different a sound annoyance than 2 passengers talking. If someone gets a personal or business call on public transport I do not care. Why does anyone else?

Absofuckinglutely. People have little to be worrying about, don’t they? Looking for things to grouse about! :pac:

The problem isn’t unique to Ireland but where we are unique is that a percentage of the middle classes who would be shamed out of it in other countries continue with this behaviour.

Like the story about the two people having a meeting on the train. Could happen in England but they would stop and not be aggressive when challenged.

That's exactly the thing though. People know if they either laugh it off or square up, the other party will be far too polite to push it, if anyone plucks up the courage to say anything in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Does not really bother me. Public transport after all. It’s not something I like doing. People don’t need to know my business.

But what pissed me off one day is when some normal girl answered her phone. Then asked kids to shut up cause she was on the phone. She actually ended up getting annoyed at them when they did not stop.

Had to say listen they have just as just as right as you to chat. Stop being rude. Totally did not see my point.

There’s nobody here who hasn’t ever talked on public transport. Show me someone who claims this and I’ll show you a liar. So if you’re really saying nobody should ever utter a word on transport, you’re a hypocrite.

Often people that give out about this kind of thing are very comfortable with excusing themselves from following the same rules. “It’s OK when I do it!”

That's exactly the thing though. People know if they either laugh it off or square up, the other party will be far too polite to push it, if anyone plucks up the courage to say anything in the first place.

Having said that, just want to stress, I don't mind if anyone is having a quiet phone conversation.
    My point is more about people being blatantly obnoxious. Talking on the phone is alright.

There’s nobody here who hasn’t ever talked on public transport. Show me someone who claims this and I’ll show you a liar. So if you’re really saying nobody should ever utter a word on transport, you’re a hypocrite.

Often people that give out about this kind of thing are very comfortable with excusing themselves from following the same rules. “It’s OK when I do it!”

I’m saying there should be carriages where people don’t. And those rules should be obeyed.

(Although this is more important for long haul).

I’m saying there should be carriages where people don’t. And those rules should be obeyed.

I think it’s a minor concern. I’d rather we didn’t foster such preciousness that is annoyed by people quietly talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I think it’s a minor concern. I’d rather we didn’t foster such preciousness that is annoyed by people quietly talking.

We're not talking about quietly talking.

We're talking shouting, arguing and screeching like a banshee.

We're not talking about quietly talking.

We're talking shouting, arguing and screeching like a banshee.

Er nope, some posters are indeed also talking about talking quietly.

Below is a post I made and a reply to it:

You’re saying it’s annoying at any volume but that doesn’t make logical sense. Unless you also don’t like travelling companions talking to each other? Which would very precious altogether.

And this exchange also shows that the poster replying to me thinks there should be carriages where there is no talking at all:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Public transport... that's your problem OP. Get yourself a chauffeur like a normal person... pfft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thankfully I have no problem saying "is this seat taken".

I had to ask the elderly woman if there was anyone on the inside seat and she was not happy. Neither was her daughter. There was much humming and hawing.

Why exactly have you asked these people? Get on the train, sit down, fcuk 'em.

And those arsehats "in a meeting"? yea, just move their crap out of your way. Simple ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

I generally keep my phone in my pocket and avoid taking calls or if I do take/make them I get to the point when in public spaces whether thats on the luas, on the street, in a restaurant/pub. Its bad manners in company and alone its anti social to see majority with their heads stuck into their devices.

McCrack wrote: »
    I generally keep my phone in my pocket and avoid taking calls or if I do take/make them I get to the point when in public spaces whether thats on the luas, on the street, in a restaurant/pub. Its bad manners in company and alone its anti social to see majority with their heads stuck into their devices.

Who needs to be social on public transport? Is reading a book or paper anti-social? People have always generally kept to themselves on public transport. Is staring into space preferable?

Patww79 wrote: »

Well yes, but its an observation nonetheless

Who needs to be social on public transport? Is reading a book or paper anti-social? People have always generally kept to themselves on public transport. Is staring into space preferable?

Nah devices act as a little cocoon for people nowadays, completely oblivIous to anything/anyone around them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If I see a queue jumper I always loudly say "oh is this not the queue here?" in order to rouse up the other people queuing and if I don't get an angry mob going I start asking "oh if you're not queuing, can I stand in front of you?", that usually gets people to wake up.
    You always see queue jumpers in coffee shops with no proper queue system, because nobody knows where to stand to order and collect their drink, everyone is just standing around in a random fashion so people can slip in.
    I get so annoyed when the staff behind the counter don't keep a proper order to things, especially when it's not that busy.
    If I've ordered and then someone tries to skip the person behind me, I always make a point of saying "this lady/man is actually next" and I expect the same in return.

If I have to confront someone about being a dickhead in a public place, I tend to not curse at them or shout at them, because you're just lowering yourself to their level, I tell them they're rude and disrespectful and need to learn how to function in normal society. That usually embarrasses them. If none of that works, you're just dealing with an absolute arsehole.

• Advertisement

Nah devices act as a little cocoon for people nowadays, completely oblivIous to anything/anyone around them

Again, when have people ever regularly interacted with others on public transport? Not in my living memory. And if someone is absorbed in a book, how is that any less anti-social than using their phone? Indeed, many people are actually reading books on their phones. What you are saying makes little sense.

Again, when have people ever regularly interacted with others on public transport? Not in my living memory. And if someone is absorbed in a book, how is that any less anti-social than using their phone? Indeed, many people are actually reading books on their phones. What you are saying makes little sense.

Public transport is one aspect but it extends to many orhers such as bars, taxis, sitting in the barber's chair, airports, queues etc people are completely self absorbed in their devices to the point of being oblivious..situations traditionally were there was some chat/banter

Public transport is one aspect but it extends to many orhers such as bars, taxis, sitting in the barber's chair, airports, queues etc people are completely self absorbed in their devices to the point of being oblivious..situations traditionally were there was some chat/banter

Bars - don’t see the issue with someone alone being on their phone. Traditionally people wouldn’t be just sitting there twiddling their thumbs; reading material would usually materialise.

Taxis - eeehh, nothing wrong with avoiding taxi small talk. Many people hate this and always have.

Barbers/hairdressers - again, small talk is painful to many and I’d say many barbers are happy to just be able to get on with their work. And again, reading materials are generally provided. I see the use of phones here as an improvement.

Queues - about the only place that it can be annoying.

Airports - that’s vague really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I totally disagree with this. The number of times chat/banter would occur in a queue pre smartphones era would be 1/10 times for me and I'm the chatty sort in those situations. I don't think smartphones have done a thing to change that. If I want to say something to another I'd just say it. I loath being in queues be it in the post office or anywhere and I think sp's are just brilliant for those situations. Not everyone is on social media, I'm certainly not but I use my phone a lot, in public usually on news or music/audiobook apps, or for catching up on some nonsense on boards : )

Vela wrote: »
    I couldn't give two sh1ts.

Do you want some ducolax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have earphones in all the time if I'm on a bus, so other don't bother me if they take a call or not.

Hate being stuck taking a call more than being around someone else doing so, I've no intention of disturbing others which is a problem if the other person on the call can't hear me or is looking for any kind of detailed responds better than "Yes, No, Soon, I don't know". Usually just say I'll have to call them back, and hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

God I hate this and I hate the people who do it.:mad: Despicable people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

forced banter in the barber chair is cringeworthy :pac:

Er nope, some posters are indeed also talking about talking quietly.

Below is a post I made and a reply to it:

And this exchange also shows that the poster replying to me thinks there should be carriages where there is no talking at all:

Jesus. This poster has a name.

You realise that most countries have trains with quiet carriages and people not only don’t use phones to talk ( nothing wrong with using them as internet devices ) but also don’t talk loudly. Or very much at all.

These things depend on how the other passengers handle things but I’ve seen a group of young teenagers hushed for normal level conversations on these carriages.

This is totally off topic with regards to noise on public transport. device users who keep the volume down aren’t an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement