Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home - Can't set up Voice Match

• 25-11-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

New to Google Home (£79 from the UK Play Store just arrived this afternoon) but not new to Android or Google Assistant, have been an Android user and ROM flasher etc for years.

Set up Google Home nice and quickly but it flat out refuses to set up Voice Match.

The Google Home app says "Multi-user is now available. Teach the Assistant to distinguish your voice from others in your home for a personalised experience." but every time I try to do enrol my voice via the Google Home app on my phone (OnePlus 5) it goes into "Please wait...." mode and stays there. I've given it over 10 minutes without anything happening.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

I've added 5 family members to ours, and had that delay twice.

I think it's just busy.
    I did airplane mode and reconnected a few times. It got there eventually.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get Voice Match set up on my new Google Home for a few days but no matter what I try (and believe me I've tried a lot of things!!) I cannot get the Voice Match set up process to get beyond the "Please wait...." message I get when I click on "Next" on the "Teach the Assistant to recognise your voice" screen.

Can I ask you guys what Language you have set on the device you have your Google Home app installed on. My language preference is set to "English (United Kingdom)", do I need to change it to English (United States) or English (Ireland)?

Also, as I purchased the device from the UK Play Store and had it delivered to Parcel Wizard in Northern Ireland do I need to set the device address to a UK rather than my actual Dublin address? I have it set to my Dublin address at the moment.

I'm very impressed with how quickly we have embraced having the Google Home device. It kicks out enough sound to fill a large living space and is being used to play radio stations and Spotify etc but I'm very frustrated that I'm getting a clear message that "Multi-user is now available" but when I try to set up Multi user (which I really want to do to give everyone in the family their own personalised access to Google Home) it just hangs in the Voice Match enrolment process.

I tried asking for help on the Google Home Product Forum but haven't had anyone respond :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

My ex wife asked me to set up her GH and it never asked for voice training. Not sure if because we used her iPhone but works perfectly. Although she is not sure about asking it who fa%ted

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Je_suis_Jean, are you using an iPhone? In order to get it to work, I had to set the region (as in the settings of iOS itself) to US and then I was able to train it.

The voice of the Google Assistant is also set to US.

My home address is actually set to my real address, doesn't seem to mind that.

bk wrote: »
    Je_suis_Jean, are you using an iPhone? In order to get it to work, I had to set the region (as in the settings of iOS itself) to US and then I was able to train it.

No, I'm using an Android phone which doesn't have the concept of "Regions" that iPhones have.

When setting up an Android device you make choices ref preferred language, date and time (time zone) which you can set to pick up automatically from the mobile network you are connected to and that's about it.

I've my language set to English UK. I might set it to English US and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry, I'm not sure.

I set mine up first on my iPhone which got me the Multiuser options, I then set it up for the OH on her Android phone. I didn't have to change any settings or region on her phone, it just worked straight off, but perhaps enabling it first on my iPhone is what got it working on hers too, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I changed the language to US English on my phone before setting the Mini up. Then I installed Home on my wife's phone and the option to set up mutiuser was there.

I changed the language to US English on my phone before setting the Mini up. Then I installed Home on my wife's phone and the option to set up mutiuser was there.

Thanks, I just changed my language to US English and rebooted etc but no joy.

I've always had the option to set up multi user on the Home App but it just hangs with "Please wait..." when the voice match enrolment starts. :mad:

I'll throw the problem up onto the GH sticky and see if someone can help as I'm not getting any joy on the Google Product Support Forum whatsoever.

What android phone are you using, or more to the point what android version is it on?

I couldn't set my daughters up on the ghome app on their phones on android 5.1.1,
    but added them temporarily to a nexus 7 tablet running 6.something and it worked straightaway.
    Now that their voices are set up, the app seems to work fine for them on their own phones.

niallb wrote: »
    What android phone are you using, or more to the point what android version is it on?

I couldn't set my daughters up on the ghome app on their phones on android 5.1.1,
    but added them temporarily to a nexus 7 tablet running 6.something and it worked straightaway.
    Now that their voices are set up, the app seems to work fine for them on their own phones.

I'm using a new OnePlus 5 (well 5 months old) which is on Android 7.1.1

• Advertisement

Hmm.
    I've my home set to use preview firmware.
    I'm on
    System firmware version: 99956

Might that be different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Can you try a different phone?
    I tried setting my wife up with Ourgroceries, but when I hit the link button on her phone nothing happened. Worked on my work iPhone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Did you ever get this to work, having the exact same problem. My phone set up the home and shows multi-user available but get same please wait when trying to train voice. Shows it set to English US but I see region is IE. Using OnePlus 5 too.

dec2000 wrote: »
    Did you ever get this to work, having the exact same problem. My phone set up the home and shows multi-user available but get same please wait when trying to train voice. Shows it set to English US but I see region is IE. Using OnePlus 5 too.

I did get it resolved but I'm not sure the process I went through is one you'll want to replicate, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105488209&postcount=1103

If you have other devices you have access to including iPhones etc it might be worth trying to set up multi user via them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

I did get it resolved but I'm not sure the process I went through is one you'll want to replicate, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105488209&postcount=1103

If you have other devices you have access to including iPhones etc it might be worth trying to set up multi user via them first.

Thanks, didn't fancy all that, got an old phone and tried it and it worked. All set up now ðŸ˜

dec2000 wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't fancy all that, got an old phone and tried it and it worked. All set up now ðŸ˜

That's great, glad you didn't have to go through what I went through!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn I may be having the same issue as you Jean. For the life of me I see no option to add multi user support. I was using a Galaxy S5 and am now on an S8, would you recommend uninstalling the app and trying that or a full reset of the phone?

Hmnn I may be having the same issue as you Jean. For the life of me I see no option to add multi user support. I was using a Galaxy S5 and am now on an S8, would you recommend uninstalling the app and trying that or a full reset of the phone?

A full reset of the phone is the last thing I'd do.

You can try updating your Google Home app (I'm on V1.26.30.8), using other devices (including an iPhone bizarrely) to get multi user set up and/or resetting the Google Home device itself and re-running the set up process.

If that doesn't work try getting some help in the Google Home Forum.

If you have an S5 and an S8, log in as yourself on your S8 and install Home.
    It will ask you to set up the voice profile when a second account gets registered to it.

You don't normally set up multi-user on one phone, unless you log out, add a user and install Home for that user too.

Advertisement