Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a rented room in Dublin

Options
  • 25-11-2017 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone

I hope this is the correct section to post this.

I've been in Dublin for several days now. I'm staying in a room I booked through a well known website which I will not name.

I'm from abroad and I'm planning to move and find employment here in the ROI.

I will remain vague because I don't want to expose myself to any liability (I hope this is the correct way to put it!). To cut a long story short, the accomodation wasn't (and isn't) up to standard. While the pictures I saw on the website have been actually taken in this place, they quite skillfully masquerade both small dimensions and a quite low standard of cleanliness and hygiene. In the descriptions, the number of bathrooms available is not correct. Also, and possibly more frightening, the only electrical outlet available in my room doesn't seem to be quite "kosher". To top it all up, while the "rules of the house" on the website state that smoking is allowed only in a small area of the property - I'm a non-smoker and I picked this accomodation also because I had a reasonable certainty I wouldn't had to get anyone's smoke in the home - the hosts smoke whenever they want. And it's not always necessarily tobacco. Plus, from what I undestand, the hosts may not be allowed to rent the place to outsiders like me.

I still have several days before checking out of this place, but at this point I'd like to find an alternative accomodation as soon as possible. This place put me in such a bad mood that I couldn't get up and get out as early as I wanted, also because I can't work out the hosts schedules, they seem to have quite irregular time to get up and go out every day and I don't to want to keep the bathroom busy if they need it - as I said, I assumed there was more than one bathroom, so I was originally sure I wouldn't have trouble getting ready in the morning. So I basically wasted my time and my money while my original intention was to go hunting for a decent room to rent long-ish term (I have consistent savings and I can pay a few months rent upfront, while I'll look for steady employment) from day one while also visiting what's interesting in the city.

Have you any suggestions about what I should do now? Christmas is approaching, so another tourist type of accomodation would be difficult to find and expensive. I came here with much hope but now I feel down and I don't know what to do. Today I feel quite rubbish and I am thinking for the first time to get back. Also, any suggestions about which authority I should contact to talk about the issues I said before - poor hygiene, dodgy electricity, dodgy everything! - and hopefully don't let other people fall for the same stuff?

Thank you very much for your attention. I know I'm very long winded when I write! And English is not my mother tongue, so please bear with me if my post is not Shakespeare-tier in terms of style!

Feel free to PM me if you see fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

BDU wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I hope this is the correct section to post this.

I've been in Dublin for several days now. I'm staying in a room I booked through a well known website which I will not name.

I'm from abroad and I'm planning to move and find employment here in the ROI.

I will remain vague because I don't want to expose myself to any liability (I hope this is the correct way to put it!). To cut a long story short, the accomodation wasn't (and isn't) up to standard. While the pictures I saw on the website have been actually taken in this place, they quite skillfully masquerade both small dimensions and a quite low standard of cleanliness and hygiene. In the descriptions, the number of bathrooms available is not correct. Also, and possibly more frightening, the only electrical outlet available in my room doesn't seem to be quite "kosher". To top it all up, while the "rules of the house" on the website state that smoking is allowed only in a small area of the property - I'm a non-smoker and I picked this accomodation also because I had a reasonable certainty I wouldn't had to get anyone's smoke in the home - the hosts smoke whenever they want. And it's not always necessarily tobacco. Plus, from what I undestand, the hosts may not be allowed to rent the place to outsiders like me.

I still have several days before checking out of this place, but at this point I'd like to find an alternative accomodation as soon as possible. This place put me in such a bad mood that I couldn't get up and get out as early as I wanted, also because I can't work out the hosts schedules, they seem to have quite irregular time to get up and go out every day and I don't to want to keep the bathroom busy if they need it - as I said, I assumed there was more than one bathroom, so I was originally sure I wouldn't have trouble getting ready in the morning. So I basically wasted my time and my money while my original intention was to go hunting for a decent room to rent long-ish term (I have consistent savings and I can pay a few months rent upfront, while I'll look for steady employment) from day one while also visiting what's interesting in the city.

Have you any suggestions about what I should do now? Christmas is approaching, so another tourist type of accomodation would be difficult to find and expensive. I came here with much hope but now I feel down and I don't know what to do. Today I feel quite rubbish and I am thinking for the first time to get back. Also, any suggestions about which authority I should contact to talk about the issues I said before - poor hygiene, dodgy electricity, dodgy everything! - and hopefully don't let other people fall for the same stuff?

Thank you very much for your attention. I know I'm very long winded when I write! And English is not my mother tongue, so please bear with me if my post is not Shakespeare-tier in terms of style!

Feel free to PM me if you see fit.

If it is the same website that I think you are talking about, you can leave and then report the hosts to the website. My friend did this recently. You will still be charged but after the report is filed, the hosts will be invited to refund you some of the money. If they don't then I think you can claim some of it through the website. Take photos of the issues you are having and save screenshots showing what was advertised so you can prove the difference between the advertisement/reality. I'd get out of there as soon as you can find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BDU wrote: »
    And English is not my mother tongue, so please bear with me if my post is not Shakespeare-tier in terms of style!
    Don't worry; it's better than some of the natives :pac:

=-=

As well as Daft, look for Facebook groups that have ads looking for people. You're foreign, so perhaps look for Facebook pages of your nationality in Ireland? For example, I'm in Toronto, and I see places in a group called "Irish and New in Toronto", that lists ads for rooms, etc.

Advertisement