Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to leave and upped rent by €100..

Options
  • 25-11-2017 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question

If your landlord asks you to leave the residence because he's selling the house stating this as the reason we couldn't rent anymore, and you leave only to find the house up on daft a week later with the rent on the room up advertised at a much higher rate and other tenants who hadn't sorted out living arrangements still in there. Is what he done legal?

I'll note there was absolutely no issues with the landlord, we had very minimal contact and the house/room was kept in great condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

Sounds like the LL is well out of order here.

The LL is supposed to sign a Statutory Declaration that he/she is selling the property. Breaking that is a big deal.

Either way, contact the RTB as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Yes, what he has done is wrong and you can report him to the tenants board. He should have given you written notice that he is selling, the terms of notice depend on how long you had lived there. But now that you are out I doubt you will get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Make a complaint to the RTB asap.

Show the rent you were paying and an ad for the property with the increased rent.

Also, show the written notice (as per the above post).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Was/is the landlord living in the house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, you mentioned renting a room. Do you know if you were a tenant or a licensee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

bee06 wrote: »
    Was/is the landlord living in the house?
    Graham wrote: »
    OP, you mentioned renting a room. Do you know if you were a tenant or a licensee?

Excellent question to ask in this situation, asked first rather than giving advice half cocked without the full information.

tringle wrote: »
    Yes, what he has done is wrong and you can report him to the tenants board. He should have given you written notice that he is selling, the terms of notice depend on how long you had lived there. But now that you are out I doubt you will get it back.

It's the residential tenancies board. It is there to uphold tenancy legislation that regulates the relationship between tenant and landlord.

Though I can understand how some see it as solely the tenants board.

Boater123 wrote: »
    It's the residential tenancies board. It is there to uphold tenancy legislation that regulates the relationship between tenant and landlord.

Though I can understand how some see it as solely the tenants board.

As a landlord I know what the f@ck it is but misstyped/typed quick on a phone. I didnt think I was in an English exam...get over yourself.

As a landlord I know what the f@ck it is but misstyped/typed quick on a phone. I didnt think I was in an English exam...get over yourself.

And your advice to report it to the RTB, without it being clear whether the op is a tenant or licensee............................. Is that a typo too? Or was it the phones fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

And your advice to report it to the RTB, without it being clear whether the op is a tenant or licensee............................. Is that a typo too? Or was it the phones fault?

Except the op says he had minimal contact with the landlord.

• Advertisement

Except the op says he had minimal contact with the landlord.

It's possible to have minimum contact with anybody in a house share through shift patterns etc. Their post also mentions the "rent on the room".

My point is that the op's status is not clear. That before telling someone to bring a case under tenancy legislation as others did, it would be better to ascertain whether the op is covered by tenancy legislation first.

It's possible to have minimum contact with anybody in a house share through shift patterns etc. Their post also mentions the "rent on the room".

My point is that the op's status is not clear. That before telling someone to bring a case under tenancy legislation as others did, it would be better to ascertain whether the op is covered by tenancy legislation first.

So if you feel you have no helpful advice to give and all you want to do is critisice what others take the time to do...well why bother.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: If you have an issue with a post, report it.

OP, your rights (or lack of) very much depend on the basis of your agreement/tenancy.

As you may have already gathered, if you are a tenant you get very specific legal protections supported/enforced by the RTB, if you are a licensee you get almost no legal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 VeggieHugger

https://www.rtb.ie/media-research/publications/leases-and-licences

The above may help the OP understand the difference between renting a room and being a tenant with a lease, which, as pointed out by Boater123, makes a difference in the rights the OP has.

So if you feel you have no helpful advice to give and all you want to do is critisice what others take the time to do...well why bother.

One idea of a forum is that when you read a post that you believe to be incorrect you can critique that post.

Information given in a previous posts to bring a case to the rtb was premature as best IMO, and that the RTB is not called the tenants board and works both for the LL and tenant. That was my contribution to the then short thread, a rebuttal of (at that time) the only advice given.

It may well be that the tenant is/ was a tenant, and if they come back I hope they will receive good advice on what to do if they illegally evicted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

One idea of a forum is that when you read a post that you believe to be incorrect you can critique that post.

Information given in a previous posts to bring a case to the rtb was premature as best IMO, and that the RTB is not called the tenants board and works both for the LL and tenant. That was my contribution to the then short thread, a rebuttal of (at that time) the only advice given.

It may well be that the tenant is/ was a tenant, and if they come back I hope they will receive good advice on what to do if they illegally evicted.:)

This is all academic in my view.

If the OP is a licensee in stead of a tenant, then there is no legal protection. If the OP is a tenant, then it does not look like a valid rent increase.

Either way, the first (and only possible) stop for the OP is at the RTB. The RTB will determine if OP is a tenant or a licensee. The facts of the extent to which the LL was living in the property etc. is down to the RTB to decide. If the RTB consider OP to be a Licensee, then game over, but thats a call for the RTB.

DubCount wrote: »
    This is all academic in my view.

If the OP is a licensee in stead of a tenant, then there is no legal protection. If the OP is a tenant, then it does not look like a valid rent increase.

Either way, the first (and only possible) stop for the OP is at the RTB. The RTB will determine if OP is a tenant or a licensee. The facts of the extent to which the LL was living in the property etc. is down to the RTB to decide. If the RTB consider OP to be a Licensee, then game over, but thats a call for the RTB.

You're correct..unless the op offers more information there is no point offering advice one way or the other. My point from earlier.

However do you really need to waste RTB resources seeking a determination on the OP status as either a licensee or tenant, if it is clear (which it is not here) the OP is not covered by tenancy law? Tying up the RTB with unnecessary cases is...well....unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Sorry to return to this late but I was a tenant and not a licensee based on the definition I admittedly had to look up.

Advertisement